[Indycar] 2010 Discussion Thread

Including the Indy 500 and all junior series leading up to IndyCar
bbgunn
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

[Indycar] 2010 Discussion Thread

Post by bbgunn »

Hey everybody, sorry I've been away for so long.
I'm not sure if this has been talked about yet or not but the IRL is entertaining new chassis concepts for 2012 with Dallara, Swift, Lola and Deltawing. They are trying to cut manufacturing costs by as much as 55%. The highly experimental Deltawing is supposed to be revealed at a car show on Wednesday. This is the first drawings I've seen from Dallara:
http://www.indycar.com/news/?story_id=15730

The dark red car is design #1, the yellow car is design #2, and the light red car is design #3.
Personally I think the #1 design is pretty much identical to the current design. I kinda like #2 with more of the
Panoz hook nose on it and the modified sidepods. I am glad that they are considering new designs and also
considering bringing back the turbo-chargers.

I know most of you are F1 fans, but was wondering what you thought about some of these ideas.
Tommie van Ostade
Bronze Member
Bronze Member
Car(s) Currently Owned: Chevrolet Chevelle Malibu Wagon

Post by Tommie van Ostade »

From what I understand the IndyCar series (still refuse to call it IRL :p ) handles the various car designs in a different way to F1. New car designs are submitted to the organisation, where they pass or fail a test, and they can then be manufactered. Teams can get the desired car by a lease arranged by the organisation to the car builder. Not usre I've got the details right though. However if it works like this I like it very much, in fact, I think it is the reason the IndyCar series have survived. Small teams have a car for a fixed (low cost as well) price rather than through a deal with a big team who can suddenly ask more money for the car during the season. This way you can setup a clear budget sheet with no surprises.

That said, I hope more manufacturers enter the IndyCar series, as mismatches always make the racing more interesting. Hope the cars look better then on those drawings though, they should take a look at the A1GP Ferrari car, they one looks like it should :thumbsup: .

:wave: Tommie.
bbgunn
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Post by bbgunn »

Yeah- the reason why the indycar series does it this way is because the only way a chassis manufacturer can make money is if they can be the only provider to the series. If they start splitting things up between more manufacturers, the cost of the car goes up because they supply to fewer cars (much like when there were two manufacturers, dallara and panoz). Since the object of the new chassis is to bring the cost down, you can pretty much assume that there will only be one design.

It would be exciting to see several different models, but there is nowhere near the money in the indycar series that there is in F1. That being said, I am still pretty happy that they are trying to improve the car for the fans. Most people do not seem to like the current design much.
wnut

Post by wnut »

The idea of one car manufacturer in a series comes straight from hell!!!
Of course it is cheaper when nobody is allowed to innovate and one
pedestrian solution is forced on all competitors.
Racing in my opinion is about innovation, technology and car development without this
it is very boring and not worth paying attention to.

Sorry I just hate one make series. Monopolies r us.

Kind Regards

wnut
bbgunn
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Post by bbgunn »

It's all about money, dude. If you don't have it, you can't do it.
What is a chassis manufacturer going to do? Spend a bunch of money on specialized equipment, wind tunnel testing,
setup a factory in Indianapolis, hire employees, for what? For free?
If it was greed that was driving it I would see your point. But this is just pure necessity. It's either this or
no open wheel racing in North America.

Btw, a one car spec series is not uncommon in the indycar series. Even in the glory days there was still one
predominant design throughout the field. Champcar had one design as well.
bbgunn
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Post by bbgunn »

Here's a bit from trackside online about the Lola chassis design:

"Speaking of cars, Lola put out a statement, but no photos.

Swift has also put out their statement and they did provide photos which should be available in the photo album very shortly.

That gets us pictures from two of the four chassis manufacturers and DeltaWing will show their design on Wednesday at the Chicago Auto Show. Things are getting kind of interesting.

NOTE: The IRL has not ruled out multiple chassis, but they would still want everything to meet all of their stated goals of affordability, use on multiple courses, etc.

Here is the Lola statement:

""""Lola reveal 2012 Indycar proposals

After months of consultation, design evaluation and business planning, Lola has presented to the IRL Board an innovative and commercially viable proposal for the next generation of Indy Car.

At the heart of Lola's presentation to the IRL Board was a carefully considered modern dual body style approach. This concept will provide two ready to race aero performance balanced Indycars that could compete even safer side by side and very close behind one another on all circuits. This would provide a unique focus for drivers, teams and fans alike without technical compromise or advantage and in addition would accommodate a dual engine supply situation if required.

The proposed Lola Indycar for 2012 focuses on several key areas. These are safety, efficiency, engine adaptability, weight reduction (proposed 1380lbs v current 1540lbs), pleasing aesthetics with good sponsor exposure and a concentrated evaluation on significantly improving overtaking.

As part of the rigorous technical studies by Lola engineers, an entire range of futuristic concept cars were explored. While these proved technically interesting and on the wish list of the special projects team, some of these options will be deferred, but retained, as a next iteration option. Lola supported University projects that are now using recycled materials continues to be of great interest.

Quotes:
Lola Executive Chairman, Martin Birrane

"Lola's history in US racing stretches back to 1965 and includes three Indy 500 wins, Can Am, Sports Car and Champ Car title successes. It is upon this framework of heritage combined today with Lola's state of the art technical capabilities that ensures the company continues to be perfectly positioned to enter a new era and add another chapter to this already fascinating and inspiring partnership."

Lola Cars Managing Director, Robin Brundle

"We have worked closely and methodically to understand the needs of the IRL Board, the fans and the teams while remaining aligned and sensitive to the challenging commercial needs of all stakeholders. For Lola it is also very important that the fans enjoy the cars and receive a great spectacle both trackside and on TV."""""
kals
Legendary Member
Legendary Member
Favourite Motorsport: F1..BTCC..MotoGP
Favourite Racing Car: Benetton B189
Favourite Circuit: Donington Park

Post by kals »

FYI - at http://www.deltawingracing.com/construction.html in less than 10 minute the Delta Wing car will be unveiled
kals
Legendary Member
Legendary Member

Post by kals »

Errrrrmmm...... :jaw:

Cheeveer
Favourite Racing Car: Panoz GTR1
Favourite Driver: Alex Zanardi
Favourite Circuit: Bathurst

Post by Cheeveer »

What a joke...
***Some say you should live each day like it was your last... but who wants to live each day in wild panic and extreme death anxiety?

The universe, look at the hugeness of it... it is a dizzying thought that little ol' me is the centre of it all!***
kals
Legendary Member
Legendary Member

Post by kals »

How is the car able to turn? Surely it would understeer like shit...
Rainyday
Advanced Member
Advanced Member
Favourite Motorsport: F1, WRC, NASCAR, BTCC, KKWCS
Favourite Racing Car: Lancia 037
Favourite Driver: Mika Häkkinen
Favourite Circuit: Nürburgring Nordschleife

Post by Rainyday »

Do they seriously use rFactor in that? :haha:
Square numbers are just like women, if they're under 13 just do them in your head.
caneparo wrote:considering what you wrote I must say you smoked antifreeze
Tommie van Ostade
Bronze Member
Bronze Member
Car(s) Currently Owned: Chevrolet Chevelle Malibu Wagon

Post by Tommie van Ostade »

C'mon, how are we suppose to take the IndyCars seriously with car design concepts like that? When I saw the Dallara's I thought: 'I hope the others come up with something more realistic'. I guess not. The Swift no. 23 is the best looking so far, but still not really realistic.

I hope Lola come up with some F1 car but with proper looking wings. But I guess not :down: . C'mon guys this bla-bla is not the way forward.

What makes it worse is that I've just read that Delta Wing was formed by most of the team bosses of the IndyCar teams :sorrow: . And that contraption is the best they can come up with... Seriously inclined to leave the IndyCars for what they are and start following NASCAR some more.
bbgunn
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Post by bbgunn »

Can't say I care for the Deltawing design much. I doubt the fans will like it either. It will probably go the way of the Smokey Yunick sidecar in 1964. Just a novelty moment in time. I don't really care for the swift design either. Looks too batmobile. My guess is Dallara and Lola will be the front runners. As far as it looking like an F1 car - I hope not. We already have an F1, don't need another one.
Antonov
Legendary Member
Legendary Member
Favourite Motorsport: Formula 1
Favourite Racing Car: MP4/13 ; F40
Favourite Driver: M. Hakkinen
Favourite Circuit: Some shitty street circuit
Car(s) Currently Owned: VW Golf GTI

Post by Antonov »

how could you have expected a different design from DELTA-wing?

It looks very weird :wow:
Cheeveer
Favourite Racing Car: Panoz GTR1
Favourite Driver: Alex Zanardi
Favourite Circuit: Bathurst

Post by Cheeveer »

bbgunn wrote:Can't say I care for the Deltawing design much. I doubt the fans will like it either.
Thus far no fans like it.
***Some say you should live each day like it was your last... but who wants to live each day in wild panic and extreme death anxiety?

The universe, look at the hugeness of it... it is a dizzying thought that little ol' me is the centre of it all!***