Hello and Happy New Year!

New to the forum? Say hello!
Returning members, feel free to reintroduce yourselves.
Post Reply
User avatar
Starling
Regular Member
Regular Member
Posts: 89
Joined: 4 months ago
Favourite Motorsport: F1
Favourite Driver: Ayrton Senna
Favourite Circuit: Monza

Hello and Happy New Year!

Post by Starling » 4 months ago

Hello, I registered on Jan 1st and immediately noticed an involuntary blunder. I'm not related to the user called Star! Starling is the name of a fictional F1 driver, my imaginary friend if you will.

I came across the CPdB while googling Tom Pryce. It was not pretty, but tastefully treated. So I decided to try the forum, and I'm happy to say I've already binged it. I'm awed that there are actual drivers writing here!

I'm terrified of normal street driving and feel comfortable only in my old automatic. I'm also not big on technical issues. However I've loved F1 since I was a child, building Lego models and little figurines of Lauda and Regazzoni. I started regularly watching the races in 1987 and I stopped with Imola 1994, but I still try to catch the occasional race. I managed to watch Abu Dhabi and it was worth it.

I'm more interested in the human aspect of it all, so please don't ask me difficult questions!
Nada pode me separar do amor de Deus.

User avatar
Everso Biggyballies
Legendary Member
Legendary Member
Posts: 38342
Joined: 16 years ago
Real Name: Chris
Favourite Motorsport: Anything that goes left and right.
Favourite Racing Car: Too Many to mention
Favourite Driver: Kimi,Niki,Jim(none called Michael)
Favourite Circuit: Nordschleife, Spa, Mt Panorama.
Car(s) Currently Owned: Audi SQ5 3.0L V6 TwinTurbo
Location: Just moved 3 klms further away so now 11 klms from Albert Park, Melbourne.

Post by Everso Biggyballies » 4 months ago

Hi @Starling..... welcome to TFL and enjoy. Glad you like what you have seen. We are proud of the fact that we treat others and the subjects we discuss here with respect. :wink: :wink:

* I started life with nothing, and still have most of it left


The road of excess leads to the palace of wisdom

* I married Miss Right. Just didn't know her first name was Always

User avatar
Starling
Regular Member
Regular Member
Posts: 89
Joined: 4 months ago
Favourite Motorsport: F1
Favourite Driver: Ayrton Senna
Favourite Circuit: Monza

Post by Starling » 4 months ago

Thanks Everso, great name :D
Nada pode me separar do amor de Deus.

User avatar
MonteCristo
Moderator
Moderator
Posts: 8091
Joined: 6 years ago
Favourite Motorsport: Openwheel
Favourite Racing Car: Tyrrell P34/Protos
Favourite Driver: JV
Favourite Circuit: Road America
Location: Brisbane, Australia

Post by MonteCristo » 4 months ago

Welcome @Starling! :happy:
Danny Ric in F1! Catch the fever! Vettel Hate Club. Life membership.

2012 GTP Non-Championship Champion | 2012 Guess the Kai-Star Half Marathon Time Champion | 2018 GTP Champion | 2019 GTP Champion

User avatar
Starling
Regular Member
Regular Member
Posts: 89
Joined: 4 months ago
Favourite Motorsport: F1
Favourite Driver: Ayrton Senna
Favourite Circuit: Monza

Post by Starling » 4 months ago

Thank you @MonteCristo ! (still getting the hang of codes)
Nada pode me separar do amor de Deus.

User avatar
Everso Biggyballies
Legendary Member
Legendary Member
Posts: 38342
Joined: 16 years ago
Real Name: Chris
Favourite Motorsport: Anything that goes left and right.
Favourite Racing Car: Too Many to mention
Favourite Driver: Kimi,Niki,Jim(none called Michael)
Favourite Circuit: Nordschleife, Spa, Mt Panorama.
Car(s) Currently Owned: Audi SQ5 3.0L V6 TwinTurbo
Location: Just moved 3 klms further away so now 11 klms from Albert Park, Melbourne.

Post by Everso Biggyballies » 4 months ago

Starling wrote:
4 months ago
Thanks Everso, great name :D
Actually stems from a Christmas extended family and friends gathering at a motor racing mad home back in the early seventies.... the adults / older children amongst us were discussing Emmerson Fittipaldi, WDC at the time, and a (very) young (very early stages of learning to talk) boy trying to replicate the name.... the words came out as sounding more like Everso Biggyballies. Because of the fact that certain brave drivers are said to have them, it became a part of my family 'legend' and one of those much repeated family stories..... 30 years later in the 2000's when I was looking for a forum nickname, talking to my now 89y.o. Mother, (who still follows F1), she reminded me of the Everso tale and so at her suggestion my forum name was born. :wink:

* I started life with nothing, and still have most of it left


The road of excess leads to the palace of wisdom

* I married Miss Right. Just didn't know her first name was Always

User avatar
Starling
Regular Member
Regular Member
Posts: 89
Joined: 4 months ago
Favourite Motorsport: F1
Favourite Driver: Ayrton Senna
Favourite Circuit: Monza

Post by Starling » 4 months ago

Too funny, @Everso Biggyballies ! For my part, when I was perusing Mediaeval Latin stuff as a child - yes, I'm weird - I thought that Lauda (= hymn) was Niki. I was a bit confused...
Nada pode me separar do amor de Deus.

User avatar
Everso Biggyballies
Legendary Member
Legendary Member
Posts: 38342
Joined: 16 years ago
Real Name: Chris
Favourite Motorsport: Anything that goes left and right.
Favourite Racing Car: Too Many to mention
Favourite Driver: Kimi,Niki,Jim(none called Michael)
Favourite Circuit: Nordschleife, Spa, Mt Panorama.
Car(s) Currently Owned: Audi SQ5 3.0L V6 TwinTurbo
Location: Just moved 3 klms further away so now 11 klms from Albert Park, Melbourne.

Post by Everso Biggyballies » 4 months ago

Starling wrote:
4 months ago
Too funny, @Everso Biggyballies ! For my part, when I was perusing Mediaeval Latin stuff as a child - yes, I'm weird - I thought that Lauda (= hymn) was Niki. I was a bit confused...
lol. I'm another (weird?) one who learnt Latin at school as a child, so your signature was easy.... but I never made a connection between Lauda/hymn/Niki. Does that make me less weird? :suspicious:



Probably not
:wink: :nah:

* I started life with nothing, and still have most of it left


The road of excess leads to the palace of wisdom

* I married Miss Right. Just didn't know her first name was Always

User avatar
Starling
Regular Member
Regular Member
Posts: 89
Joined: 4 months ago
Favourite Motorsport: F1
Favourite Driver: Ayrton Senna
Favourite Circuit: Monza

Post by Starling » 4 months ago

Cheers for another nerd, then! :D
Nada pode me separar do amor de Deus.

User avatar
EB
Advanced Member
Advanced Member
Posts: 1450
Joined: 16 years ago

Post by EB » 4 months ago

Everso Biggyballies wrote:
4 months ago
Actually stems from a Christmas extended family and friends gathering at a motor racing mad home back in the early seventies.... the adults / older children amongst us were discussing Emmerson Fittipaldi, WDC at the time, and a (very) young (very early stages of learning to talk) boy trying to replicate the name.... the words came out as sounding more like Everso Biggyballies. Because of the fact that certain brave drivers are said to have them, it became a part of my family 'legend' and one of those much repeated family stories..... 30 years later in the 2000's when I was looking for a forum nickname, talking to my now 89y.o. Mother, (who still follows F1), she reminded me of the Everso tale and so at her suggestion my forum name was born. :wink:
It was also the name of a parody character in an Autosport comic strip (I think with slightly different spelling but identical sounding), as I've mentioned before. A truly amazing coincidence!

User avatar
Starling
Regular Member
Regular Member
Posts: 89
Joined: 4 months ago
Favourite Motorsport: F1
Favourite Driver: Ayrton Senna
Favourite Circuit: Monza

Post by Starling » 4 months ago

EB wrote:
4 months ago
Everso Biggyballies wrote:
4 months ago
Actually stems from a Christmas extended family and friends gathering at a motor racing mad home back in the early seventies.... the adults / older children amongst us were discussing Emmerson Fittipaldi, WDC at the time, and a (very) young (very early stages of learning to talk) boy trying to replicate the name.... the words came out as sounding more like Everso Biggyballies. Because of the fact that certain brave drivers are said to have them, it became a part of my family 'legend' and one of those much repeated family stories..... 30 years later in the 2000's when I was looking for a forum nickname, talking to my now 89y.o. Mother, (who still follows F1), she reminded me of the Everso tale and so at her suggestion my forum name was born. :wink:
It was also the name of a parody character in an Autosport comic strip (I think with slightly different spelling but identical sounding), as I've mentioned before. A truly amazing coincidence!
Wow, it seems the poor guy has been parodied a lot. I remember an issue of "Topolino" (Mickey Mouse) where a driver was called "Emerlon Fritticaldi" (hard to translate from Italian: "Blackbird Hotfries"?) It was a whole issue dedicated to F1, or rather there were several. Some images here (warning: Italian and cringy): https://www.ventennipaperoni.com/2021/0 ... -topolino/
Nada pode me separar do amor de Deus.

Post Reply