Isle of Man TT 2019

Current motorcycle racing related news, information and discussion.
Everso Biggyballies
Legendary Member
Legendary Member
Favourite Motorsport: Anything that goes left and right.
Favourite Racing Car: Too Many to mention
Favourite Driver: Kimi,Niki,Jim(none called Michael)
Favourite Circuit: Nordschleife, Spa, Mt Panorama.
Car(s) Currently Owned: Audi SQ5 3.0L V6 TwinTurbo
Location: Just moved 3 klms further away so now 11 klms from Albert Park, Melbourne.

Post by Everso Biggyballies »

Bottom post of the previous page:

BIRCHALLS SECURE NINTH SIDECAR TT WIN

The three lap Locate.im Sidecar TT race 1 saw two big retirements before the field had passed Glen Helen on lap 1.

From IOMTT
Tim Reeves and Mark Wilkes only made it as far as the bottom of Bray Hill David Molyneux and Harry Payne were reported as retired at Braddan Church.

In contrast to qualifying the Birchall brothers seemed to be straight on the pace and had a 4.138 second lead over John Holden and Lee Cain by Glen Helen which they extended to 5.646 seconds at Ballaugh.

The two Team Founds outfits made up the next two places with Peter Founds and passenger Jevan Walmsley leading brother Alan Founds and Jake Lowther.

Another set of brothers were setting the leaderboard on fire: Ryan and Callum Crowe were up to sixth place at Ballaugh Bridge, an incredible opener to their first ever TT race.

By Ramsey Ben and Tom Birchall had pulled out their lead over Holden & Cain to 8.739 seconds and after the climb up the mountain that gap was 11.282 seconds.

Crowe & Crowe continued making impressive progress, catching Lewis Blackstock and Patrick Rosney on time by the Bungalow, taking them into fifth place behind Founds and Lowther.

117.709mph was the opening lap from the Birchall brothers, a stunning opener given the small amount of practice time.

The Crowes’ 112.56mph first lap saw them comfortably exceed Tim Reeves’s longstanding newcomers lap record.

The Birchalls blinding pace continued through sector after sector on the second lap, 7.5 seconds inside their own lap record time at Ramsey, but the blustery conditions on the Mountain slowed them to only 119.13mph.

Holden and Cain tried to stay in touch but although they extended their advantage over Founds/Lowther to over 22 seconds, they were half-a-minute adrift of the Birchall brothers at the Bungalow.

The positions remained the same throughout the third lap allowing Ben and Tom to ease the pace and finish with a lap of 118.122mph, finishing in a new race record time.

John Holden and Lee Cain maintained their second place position, finishing 48.116 seconds down on the Birchalls. Founds and Lowther held off Founds and Walmsley by 5.572 seconds to finish third.

At the winners' enclosure Ben Birchall confirmed that although conditions played a part in holding them from doing the first 120mph+ it came down more to receiving a pit board telling him he was 30+ seconds ahead and bearing in mind advice from John McGuinness not to push too hard.

The Crowe brothers continued their dream debut, putting in a final lap of 113.34mph, finishing every lap inside the old newcomers lap record.

* I started life with nothing, and still have most of it left

“Good drivers have dead flies on the side windows!” (Walter Röhrl)

* I married Miss Right. Just didn't know her first name was Always
Andy
Supreme Member
Supreme Member
Favourite Motorsport: 2 & 3 Wheeling
Favourite Racing Car: Bike ;) - Yamaha YZR 500
Favourite Driver: Justin 'Weeman' Collins
Favourite Circuit: Isle of Man - Mountain Course
Car(s) Currently Owned: M'cycle ;) - Yamaha FZS 600

Post by Andy »

I was out for some whiskey last night after returning from marshaling.
I knew Daley briefly since Frohburg last year.
Godspeed mate
"Those who risk nothing, do nothing, achieve nothing, become nothing" - David Jefferies
Andy
Supreme Member
Supreme Member

Post by Andy »

Day off tomorrow for some photos, back to marshal on Thursday and photos on Friday
"Those who risk nothing, do nothing, achieve nothing, become nothing" - David Jefferies
Everso Biggyballies
Legendary Member
Legendary Member
Location: Just moved 3 klms further away so now 11 klms from Albert Park, Melbourne.

The weather continued to wreak havoc on the island, with rain and cloud cover stopping any thought of racing on Wednesday.

However a full day is scheduled for Thursday (subject to weather). Races have been shortened to hopefully get in 5 events.

The schedule below was issued at 18:45 on Wednesday, 5th June.

Five races, shortened to two or three laps with the exception of the SES TT Zero Race, must now fit into a window of just under nine hours.

Revised Thursday schedule.

10:45 Mountain Road Closes
11:30 All Roads Closed
11:50 Senior / Superstock 1 Lap
12:45 Monster Energy Supersport TT Race 2 2 Laps
13:50 Locate.im Sidecar TT Race 2 2 laps
14:55 RL360 Superstock TT Race 3 Laps
17:00 Roads Open Except Mountain Road
18:00 All Roads Closed
18:30 Bennetts Lightweight TT Race 3 Laps
19:20 SES TT Zero Race 1 Lap
20:00 Senior Qualifying 1 Lap
21:30 All Roads Open Except Mountain Road

Everso Biggyballies
Legendary Member
Legendary Member

Finally we have had a day of racing. More events on Thursday than the rest of the week combined I reckon.

In summary form:

2nd SUpersport TT Race
Once more Peter Hickman’s acknowledged supremacy on the Mountain showed to the good as he brought the K2 Trooper Beer Triumph by Smith’s Racing to his fourth TT victory, extending the lead to 3.302 seconds over Harrison. James Hillier was a very strong third and Conor Cummins held on to fourth. Jamie Coward completed the top five.

Superstock TT Race - Hickman takes win #3 for 2019
Peter Hickman took a comfortable win with a cushion of 26.045 seconds over Harrison. The real excitement came in the battle for third place as Michael Dunlop and David Johnson powered down from the Bungalow with barely a second splitting them. In the end “Davo” took his first podium finish by an incredible 0.208 seconds from Dunlop, despite trailing him at Cronk-ny-Mona, to give Honda a very welcome return to the Superstock winner’s enclosure.

Dunlop takes win #19 in the lightweight.

Michael Dunlop took the chequered flag as the first bike on the road and then commenced a tense wait for Coward to cross the line. At Cronk-ny-Mona the gap was only 0.767 seconds.

As the clock ticked over and eyes were turned up Glencrutchery Road to see whether Coward could overhaul the 18-time TT winner. In the end it wasn’t to be. Despite a lap in excess of 122mph Coward was edged out by only 1.299 seconds but had the consolation of taking his first TT podium.

Lee Johnston was a solid third place on his Ashcourt Racing KMR Kawasaki. Paul Jordan had a great ride to finish fourth another 5.275 seconds down on Johnston and Michael Rutter edged ahead of Bonetti to finish fifth.

Records tumble in SES TT Zero Race

Michael Rutter smashed the lap record in Thursday's SES TT Zero race, as he clinched his seventh TT race win.

Beating Mugen team mate John McGuinness by 8.9 seconds, Rutter's lap was an impressive 121.91mph.
Ian Lougher, a ten time TT winner who made his Mountain Course debut in 1983, was the third rider home, securing a well-earned podium spot for the Mirai with Team ILR outfit.

Everso Biggyballies
Legendary Member
Legendary Member

AMENDED SCHEDULE FOR FRIDAY AS ORGANISERS RACE WEATHER

Poor weather is forecast to hit the Isle of Man on Friday afternoon so organisers have issued a new schedule to try and beat the return of the rain.

The Senior race will continue as a six lap race.

07:45 Mountain Road Closes
09:30 All Roads Closed
10:00 Dunlop Senior TT Race - 6 laps

sadsac
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Favourite Motorsport: all of them
Favourite Racing Car: 1990 Ferrari 640 F1
Favourite Driver: Ayrton Senna
Favourite Circuit: Spa
Car(s) Currently Owned: Seat Arona FR ,Skoda Fabia VRS

Post by sadsac »

The emotion on Michaels face says it all
Well done a great tribute to William :bow:

Everso Biggyballies
Legendary Member
Legendary Member

DEAN HARRISON WINS SENSATIONAL SENIOR TT

The weather held for the climax of the TT event which ran to its full 6 laps.
23-time TT winner – and six-time Senior TT winner - John McGuinness told Manx Radio’s Chris Kinley that the conditions for Friday’s Dunlop Senior TT were the best of the whole of TT 2019.

The dry but overcast morning proved perfect for a sensational six-lap showdown to see the 2019 Isle of Man TT Races finish on a high.

Peter Hickman had a 0.385 second lead over Dean Harrison through Glen Helen for the first time, at Ballaugh Harrison had turned the deficit into a 0.185 second credit, and by Ramsey the advantage had swung back to Hickman by just 0.118 seconds.

Conor Cummins, the local hero, held third place from a charging Michael Dunlop, who had a 4.7 second lead over David Johnson. Johnson, fresh from his first TT podium in Thursday’s Superstock race was nearly five seconds in front of the Honda RC213V-S of Michael Rutter.

Hickman stretched his lead to 1 second at the Bungalow, showing yet again his total mastery of the Mountain section.

Hickman’s opening lap of 134.28 mph was easily the fastest of TT 2019 to that point, more impressive for being from a standing start on an unproven Superbike.

John McGuinness was given as pulled in at the Bungalow and later confirmed as a retirement.

Starting the second lap of the race the leaderboard showed Hickman, holding a 2.209 second lead from Harrison, Cummins stayed in third 0.824 seconds in front of Michael Dunlop. David Johnson was still in fifth and 2018 newcomer Davey Todd was up to sixth, relegating Michael Rutter to seventh. Jamie Coward held eighth.

On the fast and sinuous west of the course the gap between Harrison and the flying Hickman grew to three seconds but Conor Cummins managed to increase the gap to Michael to five seconds.

The attrition rate proved high with Davy Morgan, Stefano Bonetti, Paul Jordan and Rob Hodson all retiring in the pits at the end of their first laps, and Paul Potchy Williams joined the retirements list, stopping at Joey’s.

On the drop from the Bungalow to the pit stops Hickman extended the lead to nearly seven seconds but Conor’s lead over Michael was cut down to 5.4 seconds.

There was disappointment for Honda as David “Davo” Johnson was reported to have retired at Bedstead and Ian Hutchinson was a retirement in the pits.

After solid and uneventful pit stops from the leading riders the top three at Glen Helen looked the same as the lap before but with a ten second lead for Hickman and Harrison holding a 22 second lead on Cummins.

Michael Dunlop exited the pits at the same moment as Hickman but allowed Peter to lead the way down Bray Hill to give the faster rider clear road. Dunlop had a lot of work to do to try and take a podium place, lying in fourth but 12.284 seconds adrift on Cummins.

With the exit of Davo Johnson, Davey Todd’s sixth was transformed into a fifth place, trailing Michael Dunlop by 44.831 seconds at Ramsey on lap three, but with Michael Rutter’s Honda snapping at his heels with 1.08 seconds to make up.

Xavier Denis and Timothee Monot joined the growing list of retirements in the pits as the crowds waited to see the leaders through the grandstand for the start of their fourth lap.

At half-race distance Hickman’s margin over Harrison had grown to 13.486 seconds but Harrison wasn’t going to settle for second easily. At Ballaugh Bridge on the third lap he’d pulled back half a second but coming into the second and final pit stop after the Mountain section the lead for Hickman was 17.683 seconds.

Conor Cummins kept a tight hold on third place with a cushion of over 18 seconds from Michael Dunlop.

The pit stops injected drama back into the race after a steady couple of laps. As Harrison and Hickman passed the timing point at Glen Helen for the fifth lap the difference between them had dropped to just 7.915 seconds, a change of nearly ten seconds and at Ballaugh that lead was only 1.130 seconds – Peter’s team reporting cooling issues on the Smiths Racing BMW Superbike.

At Sulby Hickman’s top speed had dropped to only 159mph – well off the 190mph+ the potent BMW S1000RR had shown on previous laps - pointing to serious engine problems.

Hickman trailed into Ramsey 7.877 seconds down on the Silicone Engineering Kawasaki of Dean Harrison, with Manx Radio’s commentator Roy Moore reporting the Lincolnshire star was short shifting to preserve the motor as much as possible.

The climb to the Bungalow from Ramsey, for so long the happy hunting ground of Hickman as he gobbled seconds out of Harrison on the first four laps, showed the depths of Hickman’s problems: by the Bungalow he was 14.5 seconds down on Dean, and by the grandstand as they started the final lap the difference was out to 18.386 seconds.

A late charge from James Hillier saw him gather in and eventually pass Davey Todd to take fifth place behind Michael Dunlop.

There was speculation Peter Hickman would pull in to the pits before the start of the final lap but, true competitor that he is, he passed the grandstand and the crowds could see that the short shifting reported by Roy at Ramsey was certainly the case.

Dean’s lead continued to grow through lap, pulling out to over 46 seconds at Ramsey. Conor Cummins was closing in on Hickman with just 12 seconds separating them as they began the mountain climb for the final time.

Peter Hickman held on to take second but the gap was down to 5.817 seconds at the flag.

In the winners’ enclosure an ecstatic Dean was quick to praise his team and sponsors and to pay tribute to Peter as a tough competitor.

In turn Peter acknowledged the determined efforts of Harrison and congratulated him on his first big bike win.

Everso Biggyballies
Legendary Member
Legendary Member

sadsac wrote: 4 years ago The emotion on Michaels face says it all
Well done a great tribute to William :bow:

A bit of trivia.... Dunlop's LTW win was the 50th for the Dunlop family name. :bow:

John
Ultimate Member
Ultimate Member

Post by John »

Hey @Andy - if you pop into a magazine shop or similar and pick up the latest issue of Motorsport Magazine there's a neat interview with Peter Hickman where he describes how you run the ultimate lap on the Mountain.

Key is: Lot's of wheel spin in 6th gear. I enjoyed the piece a lot, you probably will as well.
2018 GTP Accuracy champion.

CEREAL IS A SOUP.
Andy
Supreme Member
Supreme Member

Post by Andy »

John wrote: 4 years ago Hey @Andy - if you pop into a magazine shop or similar and pick up the latest issue of Motorsport Magazine there's a neat interview with Peter Hickman where he describes how you run the ultimate lap on the Mountain.

Key is: Lot's of wheel spin in 6th gear. I enjoyed the piece a lot, you probably will as well.
Wow cool !
I'll have a look at the airport tomorrow. Sometimes they got some cool mags there.

My time in the Isle of Man comes to a close now, with the final night here and travel day tomorrow.

This TT was badly weather hampered but our race director Gary Thompson got all races to run. As I was signed up for marshaling most the time I've only taken a few photos but there should be some real good ones in between. It can happen that the four days down in Billown produced more pics than the entire TT but I don't complain since a tog mate showed me an interesting trick which made my pics better to mint. A lot of reviewing and sorting to do over the next couple of weeks.

Well, this was the second TT in a row a racer I briefly knew lost his life and it makes you thinking for a while. But then these guys do it because it is a unique and to this sport ultimate challenge. If not here then somewhere else.

I've met lots of mates, missed to meet others, met new mates and after all it was a good TT.

Thank you very much @Everso Biggyballies for the racing updates. Top job , mate 👍

Rad Hughes during the Post TT at Billown yesterday
John
Ultimate Member
Ultimate Member

Post by John »

Neat, yeah, the airport is usually a good bet. It's the one with the Le Mans Toyota on the cover.
2018 GTP Accuracy champion.

CEREAL IS A SOUP.
erwin greven
Staff
Staff
Favourite Motorsport: Endurance Racing
Favourite Racing Car: Lancia Delta 038 S4 Group B
Favourite Driver: Ronnie Peterson
Favourite Circuit: Nuerburgring Nordschleife
Car(s) Currently Owned: Peugeot 206 SW Air-Line 3 2007

Post by erwin greven »

Yes, it is saddening that this year victim #259 had to be added to the death toll of the Isle of Man. But it is as it is.
Saw one part of one race. Can't remember which one it was. These guys are a different breed, racing on tracks on which time stood still for 50 to 60 years. F1 was like this in the 60s, safety came a long way. But it also took away most of the dangers that attract some people. It won't attract me in the same way, but i have respect for those riders.
Brian Redman: "Mr. Fangio, how do you come so fast?" "More throttle, less brakes...."
Andy
Supreme Member
Supreme Member

Post by Andy »

The Isle of Man toll is at 293, following a rough calculation but this includes Billown as well as the Jurby road and airfield circuits as well.
The Mountain Course claimed 259 victims though, shared between the TT and MGP races.

Yes, the racing may seem to be falling out of time to some. But then you should visit the island outside the racing and you'll find a place where, despite all modernity, time indeed seems to be standing still or is going way way slower at least.
Andy
Supreme Member
Supreme Member

Post by Andy »

A few early pics

Newcomer Lukas Maurer from Suisse who started in Superbike, Superstock and Senior.

German Newcomer David Datzer (#70) who started in Supersport exclusively led by John Barton and followed by the French newcomer Jonathan Goetschy during the speedcontrolled newcomers lap at the Quarterbridge

Slovakian Miroslav 'Miro' Laki Sloboda who started in Supersport (this pic) as well as in Lightweight category. Miro's Mountain career started at the 2017 Manx Grand Prix as a newcomer and as a TT newcomer in 2018
Everso Biggyballies
Legendary Member
Legendary Member

:thumbsup: