World Superbikes and Supports 2018 Discussion

Current motorcycle racing related news, information and discussion.
Everso Biggyballies
Legendary Member
Legendary Member
Favourite Motorsport: Anything that goes left and right.
Favourite Racing Car: Too Many to mention
Favourite Driver: Kimi,Niki,Jim(none called Michael)
Favourite Circuit: Nordschleife, Spa, Mt Panorama.
Car(s) Currently Owned: Audi SQ5 3.0L V6 TwinTurbo
Location: Just moved 3 klms further away so now 11 klms from Albert Park, Melbourne.

World Superbikes and Supports 2018 Discussion

Post by Everso Biggyballies »

FIM Superbike World Championship (WorldSBK) at Phillip Island on February 22-25, 2018.
Well the 2018 season for WSBK gets underway in earnest in under a months time as we head to Phillip Island for the traditional season opener.

Nothing like Phillip Island for putting on a fast and furious season opener. I seem to recall race winning margins last year were pretty tight and I dont see this year being any different.

Australian representation for the opening round of the 2018 Motul FIM World Superbike Championship at Phillip Island has been boosted with the announcement of three local wildcard entries, and a one event entry.

Australian Wildcards for the Yamaha Finance Australian WorldSBK Round

World Superbike (WorldSBK)
Daniel Falzon (Yamaha Racing Team)
Troy Herfoss (Honda Racing Team)

World Supersport (WorldSSP)
Tom Toparis (Cube Racing Team)

One Event Entry World Superbike (WorldSBK)
Wayne Maxwell (Yamaha Racing Team)

The following is from the website. Clearly there could be some doubt over the appearance of Michael Van der Mark given the possibility of his being called up to MotoGP to replace Jonas Folger. What seems clear though is that we will have 7 WSBK race winners on the grid.
The 2018 WorldSBK grid has been unveiled boasting a crack field of world champions, multiple race winners and lighting fast privateers on machinery across eight different manufacturers. All will debut at Australia’s Phillip Island from February 23-25 for the Yamaha Finance round - the opening meet of the 2018 FIM Motul Superbike World Championship

The 21-rider field will be headlined by three-time world champion Jonathan Rea (Kawasaki), who will begin his title defence with not only teammate Tom Sykes, Aruba.it Racing Ducati stars Chaz Davies and Marco Melandri and Pata Yamaha pair Michael van der Mark and Alex Lowes to deal with, but also the return of Loris Baz.

The flying Frenchman is making a return to the production-based series after three years in MotoGP, but won’t be heading back to his old seat at Kawasaki – Rea’s well and truly made that one his own – but instead replacing Spaniard Jordi Torres at Althea BMW.

Baz was a two-time WorldSBK winner, and finished fifth in the 2015 championship – with a few niggles with then teammate Sykes thrown into the mix.

After three years of racing in the cauldron that is MotoGP, Baz’s competitive instincts, speed and guile should be red-hot from the opening bounce in the 2018 WorldSBK title – and he’s already impressed in early testing on the BMW.

Meanwhile, Torres has replaced Briton Leon Camier at MV Agusta, with Camier switching to Red Bull Honda. Camier’s teammate will be American Jake Gagne, who competed in a number of rounds for the team in 2017, including his home race at Laguna Seca.

At Milwaukee Aprilia, Eugene Laverty remains in the fold, as does Italian Lorenzo Savadori.

Aprilia and Honda both had tough 2017 campaigns, but are expected to push much further up the grid in 2018 after solid pre-seasons behind them.

Yamaha also started to come on really strong at the end of 2017, and will fancy getting on equal terms with Kawasaki and Ducati on a more regular basis.

Xavi Fores (Barni Ducati) again looks to be the pick of the privateers, while American Patrick “PJ” Jacobsen graduates to WorldSBK with the TripleM satellite Honda team after four years in WorldSSP.

Jacobsen, 24, also has previous superbike experience, and was Aussie Josh Brookes’ teammate in the 2013 British title where he finished ninth overall.

Meanwhile, former MotoGP and Moto2 rider, Columbian Jonny Hernandez, makes the switch from grand prix racing to join WorldSBK, where he will ride a Pedercini Kawasaki.

Suzuki will also be back in the championship, with the Italian Grillini squad announcing it’s utilising the GSX-R1000R in 2018 – the bike which has won both the American and Aussie superbike titles in 2017. Veteran Italian Robert Rolfo is one of its riders.

Kawasaki will be the most represented manufacturer on the grid with six bikes, followed by Ducati, Yamaha and Honda with three apiece. Aprilia and Suzuki are next with two each, and then MV Agusta and BMW with the single entries.

There will be seven WorldSBK race winners on the Philip Island grid from February 23-25 next year: Rea, Sykes, Davies, Melandri, Laverty, Baz and Torres.

WorldSSP & WorldSSP300
There will still be an Aussie presence in the WorldSBK paddock in 2018, with Anthony West and Lachlan Epis competing in WorldSSP, and youngster Tom Edwards in Supersport 300.

West will ride a self-funded Kawasaki ZX-6R, while Epis has moved to the Team GoEleven Kawasaki squad alongside Italian Michael Canducci.

There are 31 riders in WorldSSP spread across five marques, including defending champion Lucas Mahias (GRT Yamaha) and his teammate Federico Caricasulo, multiple champion Kenan Sofuoglu (Team GoEleven Kawasaki), Jules Cluzel (NRT Yamaha) and Swiss rider Randy Krummenacher (BARDAHL Evan Bros Yamaha), who returns after a year in WorldSBK.

Edwards will ride for Benjan - Kawasaki in the massive 36-bike Supersport 300 grid.
This is just a brief entry to act as heads up and make a starter for 2018 WSK discussions. Add more info and comments as you wish.

* I started life with nothing, and still have most of it left

“Good drivers have dead flies on the side windows!” (Walter Röhrl)

* I married Miss Right. Just didn't know her first name was Always
MonteCristo
Favourite Motorsport: Openwheel
Favourite Racing Car: Tyrrell P34/Protos
Favourite Driver: JV
Favourite Circuit: Road America

Post by MonteCristo »

The field for SBK looks to be 2-3 bikes larger this year? From memory it was a bit sad last year (20 or so full timers?).
Oscar Piastri in F1! Catch the fever! Vettel Hate Club. Life membership.

2012 GTP Non-Championship Champion | 2012 Guess the Kai-Star Half Marathon Time Champion | 2018 GTP Champion | 2019 GTP Champion
Everso Biggyballies
Legendary Member
Legendary Member
Location: Just moved 3 klms further away so now 11 klms from Albert Park, Melbourne.

MonteCristo wrote: 6 years ago The field for SBK looks to be 2-3 bikes larger this year? From memory it was a bit sad last year (20 or so full timers?).
Maybe three Aussie Wildcards padding the field a bit? :dunno:

Andy
Supreme Member
Supreme Member
Favourite Motorsport: 2 & 3 Wheeling
Favourite Racing Car: Bike ;) - Yamaha YZR 500
Favourite Driver: Justin 'Weeman' Collins
Favourite Circuit: Isle of Man - Mountain Course
Car(s) Currently Owned: M'cycle ;) - Yamaha FZS 600

Post by Andy »

While we are at them Aussies.
Does anyone know whether the Phillip Island Classics this weekend are streamed live?
"Those who risk nothing, do nothing, achieve nothing, become nothing" - David Jefferies
Everso Biggyballies
Legendary Member
Legendary Member

@Andy I cannot find any details of any live streams running. :sorrow: Maybe over the weekend some news may come up on their website,
http://islandclassic.com.au

What I do know is that Giacomo Agostini, a regular visitor to the event is back again, along with 4 of a personal collection of MV Augustas. He will be riding his 350cc on a series of parade laps.
Giacomo Agostini said he wants fans to “hear the music of the engine” as he kicks off three days at Victoria’s Phillip Island meeting lovers of motorcycles at the 25th AMCN International Island Classic for historic bikes (Jan 26-28).

The greatest motorcycle rider of our time, Giacomo at age 75, is making his fourth trip to the Island Classic and this year has brought four original MV Agustas from a private collection in Milan.

“When I use my bike I have a nice emotion because I go back with the memory and I remember all what I do with the bike so it is always a pleasure when I riding MV Agusta.

All of these bikes I win the world championship. All these bikes are the original bikes. It is a collection of Mr Elli, he has this collection of very very special MVs.

Two of the MVs at Phillip Island this weekend are the original bikes that brought ‘Ago’ championship success in the 350cc and 500cc GP classes between 1966-1973.

I love them both because I win with both. When you win, you are in love with your bike!” said Giacomo.

Giacomo will be riding the 350cc version in parade laps across the weekend, as well as signing autographs and meeting fans.

The Island Classic features over 500 bikes and 300 riders from all corners of the globe in 56 races, including the headline act, the MV Agusta International Challenge where the UK, USA, Australia and NZ will battle for national honour

Andy
Supreme Member
Supreme Member
Favourite Motorsport: 2 & 3 Wheeling
Favourite Racing Car: Bike ;) - Yamaha YZR 500
Favourite Driver: Justin 'Weeman' Collins
Favourite Circuit: Isle of Man - Mountain Course
Car(s) Currently Owned: M'cycle ;) - Yamaha FZS 600

Post by Andy »

The Italian National Anthem, how Roy Moore called the MV one year when it roared past his commentary box at Ramsey Hairpin :mrgreen:

:bye:
"Those who risk nothing, do nothing, achieve nothing, become nothing" - David Jefferies
Everso Biggyballies
Legendary Member
Legendary Member

WSBK Phillip Island event schedule released

Troy Bayliss will be running in the ASBK race as the initial race in his comeback.
Fifteen international and national races and an extra session for the world superbike boys are locked in and confirmed, with the release today of the schedule for February 23-25’s season opening round of the 2018 MOTUL FIM Superbike World Championship at the thrilling Phillip Island.

The two 22-lap WorldSBK races at the Yamaha Finance round will be run at 3:00pm on Saturday and Sunday, but the biggest bonanza for spectators will come on Friday with a third practice session added into the equation for the world’s leading production bike series.

That’s music to the ears of the three Aussie wildcards in the WorldSBK category – Yamaha pair Wayne Maxwell and Daniel Falzon and Honda’s Troy Herfoss – who will appreciate the extra track time as they look to fine-tune their machines and keep the WorldSBK top brass within striking distance.

The cream of the 2018 WorldSBK crop includes world champion Jonathan Rea (Kawasaki), Chaz Davies (Ducati), Tom Sykes (Kawasaki), Leon Camier (Honda), Eugene Laverty (Aprilia), Alex Lowes (Yamaha), Michael van der Mark (Yamaha), the returning Loris Baz (BMW) and Jordi Torres (MV Agusta).

Meanwhile, the 18-lap WorldSSP race will start at 1:30pm on Sunday, with even more Aussies to cheer on: championship regulars Anthony West and Lachlan Epis, as well as local wildcard Tom Toparis. All three will be Kawasaki mounted.

As well as the world title action, 12 national support races will be held at Philip Island across four classes: Superbike, Supersport, Supersport 300 and the YMF R3 Cup. And the pressure will be on, as it’s the start of the 2018 Australian championship.

Huge fields are particularly the name of the game in Superbike and Supersport 300. In Superbike, all the talk is about the return to racing of three-time WorldSBK champion Troy Bayliss, who’s coming out of retirement to compete in his national championship for the first time since 1997.

The prospect of the 48-year-old racing at the front on his Ducati in the 12-lap races is tantalising, but reputations will count for little in a field bursting with talent – including six national Superbike champions in Josh Waters (Suzuki), Maxwell (Yamaha), Herfoss (Honda), Bryan Staring (Kawasaki) and Glenn Allerton (BMW).

Everso Biggyballies
Legendary Member
Legendary Member

The WSBK circus is all set up at PI ready for their season opener this weekend. THey have had two days of testing to blow the cobwebs out. Predictably Jonathan Rea was quickest for the two days, despite crashing.

Results: Pre-season test, Phillip Island

Pos Num Rider Nat Bike Time/Gap
1 1 J. REA GBR Kawasaki ZX-10RR 1:30.598
2 33 M. MELANDRI ITA Ducati Panigale R +0.128
3 66 T. SYKES GBR Kawasaki ZX-10RR +0.206
4 50 E. LAVERTY IRL Aprilia RSV4 RF +0.476
5 12 X. FORES ESP Ducati Panigale R +0.478
6 60 M. VAN DER MARK NED Yamaha YZF R1 +0.533
7 22 A. LOWES GBR Yamaha YZF R1 +0.772
8 2 L. CAMIER GBR Honda CBR1000RR +0.939
9 76 L. BAZ FRA BMW S 1000 RR +0.944
10 32 L. SAVADORI ITA Aprilia RSV4 RF +0.981
11 7 C. DAVIES GBR Ducati Panigale R +1.016
12 54 T. RAZGATLIOGLU TUR Kawasaki ZX-10RR +1.224
13 81 J. TORRES ESP MV Agusta 1000 F4 +1.268
14 36 L. MERCADO ARG Kawasaki ZX-10RR +1.471
15 45 J. GAGNE USA Honda CBR1000RR +1.690
16 17 T. HERFOSS AUS Honda CBR1000RR +1.699
17 68 Y. HERNANDEZ COL Kawasaki ZX-10RR +1.855
18 40 R. RAMOS ESP Kawasaki ZX-10RR +1.922
19 47 W. MAXWELL AUS Yamaha YZF R1 +2.053
20 99 P. JACOBSEN USA Honda CBR1000RR +2.065
21 25 D. FALZON AUS Yamaha YZF R1 +2.230
22 37 O. JEZEK CZE Yamaha YZF R1 +2.545
Speedcafe wrote:Defending Superbike World Champion Jonathan Rea has clocked the fastest lap around Phillip Island after two days of testing ahead of this weekend’s season opener.

Rea achieved a best time of 1:30.598s during this morning’s two-hour hit-out despite crashing his Kawasaki Racing Team ZX-10RR at MG.

The lap was a 0.661s improvement on his Monday efforts, which were confined to the first session after a spill at Turn 11.

Marco Melandri, the only rider of the 22 participants to not improve on Day 2, still ended up second-fastest on combined times, 0.128s slower on his Aruba.it Racing Ducati Panigale R.

Behind them were Tom Sykes on the second factory Kawasaki, Eugene Laverty (Aprilia), and Xavi Fores (Barni Ducati).

Fores and Michael van der Mark (Pata Yamaha), who ended the test sixth-fastest, both went down on the final day of testing but were unhurt.

Last year’s runner-up Chaz Davies was 11th-fastest on his factory Ducati.

Of the Australian wildcards, Troy Herfoss (Honda) was 16th-fastest, Wayne Maxwell (Yamaha) 19th, and Daniel Falzon (Yamaha) 21st.

This weekend’s Yamaha Finance Australian Round marks the start of new technical regulations aimed at levelling the field out after the dominance of particularly Kawasaki but also Ducati in recent years.

Rev limits for each manufacturer have been determined based on last year’s results, and will be adjusted every three rounds, replacing the air restrictor parity system.

Engine concessions will also be allowed based on performance, with podium-finishing manufacturers accumulating concession points.

During the season, manufacturers with fewer points will be able to introduce new parts.

Round 1 begins with three practice sessions this Friday, followed on Saturday by more practice, qualifying, and the first of two races for the weekend.

kals
Legendary Member
Legendary Member
Favourite Motorsport: F1..BTCC..MotoGP
Favourite Racing Car: Benetton B189
Favourite Circuit: Donington Park

Post by kals »

Can Davies dethrone Rea? Can anyone truly challenge the green meanie over a full season?
Everso Biggyballies
Legendary Member
Legendary Member

I read that changes made to the bike with the new Kwakka have made it better suited to Rea and it seems less so to Sykes, but I am hoping that Ducati have come up with something special, and Davies can keep it on the island (literally) and not be so erratic. Some weekends last year he was blisteringly quick and then threw it away in the last few laps.

Everso Biggyballies
Legendary Member
Legendary Member

Practice started today for the support categories at P1 and Troy Bayliss, in his first official session back from a multi year retirement staggered a few by posting 2nd fastest time in the ASBK practice beaten only by the current champion. (It surprised, and impressed me to be honest, certainly straight out of the box so to speak. I know he did some testing a week or so ago, but that was only a couple of days.)

He was out running in a packed ASBK 49 bike entry
Troy Bayliss has set the second-fastest time in his first practice session out of retirement at this weekend’s Yamaha Motor Insurance Australian Superbike Championship season-opener at Phillip Island.

Bayliss ended up in arrears of only defending champion Josh Waters and cut more than 0.5s off his personal best in testing at the Island in late-January.

The 48-year-old’s 1:33.410s was faster than a number of former ASBK champions could manage, including Troy Herfoss, Wayne Maxwell, Glenn Allerton, Mike Jones, and Bryan Staring.

“It was a good first session and we’ve made changes to the Panigale to make it handle a lot better,” said Bayliss.

“I’m looking forward to more sessions tomorrow. If I can find more time in the areas where I’m struggling, I think we can up the pace even further.”

Bayliss spent nine years out of the seat after retiring from the Superbike World Championship at the end of 2008, save for a two-round spell as an injury replacement for Davide Giugliano in 2015.

The Taree-born DesmoSport Ducati rider was one of a mammoth 49-bike field which took to the circuit for today’s 30-minute session.

There will be a 15-minute practice session tomorrow before 20 minutes of qualifying to set the starting grid for Saturday’s first race of the season.

Everso Biggyballies
Legendary Member
Legendary Member

Australian Superbikes had their qualifying today in unfavourable conditions. Troy Bayliss, who said he has not ridden in the wet for 10 years put himself on the front row!

ASBK
Results: Qualifying (Top 10)

Pos Num Rider Team Bike Fastest lap Split to lead Top speed
1 1 Josh WATERS Team Suzuki Ecstar Australia Suzuki GSX-R 1:43.676 288
2 47 Wayne MAXWELL Yamaha Racing Team Yamaha YZF-R1 1:44.604 +0.928 290
3 21 Troy BAYLISS Desmosport Ducati Ducati Panigale FE 1:45.093 +1.417 289
4 25 Daniel FALZON Yamaha Racing Team Yamaha YZF-R1 1:45.411 +1.735 286
5 17 Troy HERFOSS Penrite Honda Honda CBR RR SP 1:45.987 +2.311 273
6 178 Michael BLAIR Yamaha / Gosford Classic Car Museum Yamaha YZF-R1 1:46.509 +2.833 279
7 14 Glenn ALLERTON NextGen Motorsports BMW S RR 1:46.932 +3.256 282
8 94 Mitchell REES Carl Cox M-sport / Honda / Tony Rees M-cycles Honda CBR1000 1:48.359 +4.683 273
9 64 Aaron MORRIS Maxima Yamaha Yamaha YZF-R1 1:49.150 +5.474 282
10 12 Matt WALTERS Swann Insurance Superbike Kawasaki ZX10 1:49.192 +
Josh Waters has taken pole position as Troy Bayliss got onto the front row for Round 1 of the Yamaha Motor Finance Australian Superbike Championship at a wet Phillip Island.

Qualifying began with a wet track before the rain became heavier during the 20-minute session.

Waters (Suzuki) began his championship defence with a fastest lap 10s adrift of his Thursday practice benchmark but nearly a second better than the rest in the challenging conditions.

Wayne Maxwell (Yamaha) was next-best, while Troy Bayliss (Ducati) also made the front row in his first ASBK round since 1997 and the start of his first proper season of racing since winning the 2008 Superbike World Championship.

“I think that was my first ride in the rain in 10 years,” said Bayliss.

“It took a while to get a feel for the bike in the conditions but I eventually got comfortable.

“If you concentrate it’s actually physically easier on the body in the wet conditions.

“It’s a great spot for tomorrow’s race and Sunday.”

Only the top 40 qualifiers will form the packed grid for Race 1 tomorrow from 1640 local time/AEDT, with two more races on Sunday

The WSBK had their first hit out today with 3 sessions of practice. Lorenzo Savadori (Milwaukee Aprilia) clocked the fastest lap of the day.
For some reason I cant find any practice times posted, even on the WSBK website.

There is a video of practice highlights on their website. Link follows.

http://www.worldsbk.com/en/videos/2018/ ... Highlights

In Round 1 of World Superbikes’ Yamaha Finance Australian Round, Lorenzo Savadori (Milwaukee Aprilia) clocked the fastest lap of the day’s three practice sessions.

The Italian was quickest in Free Practice 2, the only session unaffected by rain, ahead of Leon Camier (Red Bull Honda) Eugene Laverty (Milwaukee Aprilia).

Kawasaki Racing Team’s Tom Sykes and defending world champion Jonathan Rea were fourth and fifth fastest.

Alex Lowes earned direct passage to Superpole 2 despite a crash at Lukey Heights in FP2.

There will be another practice session tomorrow morning before the Superpole sessions and the first race of the season at 1500 local time/AEDT.

Everso Biggyballies
Legendary Member
Legendary Member

kals wrote: 6 years ago Can Davies dethrone Rea? Can anyone truly challenge the green meanie over a full season?
Well we have had the first race at Phillip Island and Rea was underwhelming, having overused his tyres early he slumped to finish a lowly 5th. In fact it turned out to be the first time in the last half dozen races not won by Rea, or even a Kawasaki. Melandri took the win after he passed Sykes with 4 laps to go.

We lost yesterdays fast man when he broke his collarbone crashing out of Superpole 2.

Results: Race 1, Australian Round

Pos Num Rider Nat Bike Laps Time/Gap
1 33 M. MELANDRI ITA Ducati Panigale R 22 33:40.354
2 66 T. SYKES GBR Kawasaki ZX-10RR 22 +0:01.180
3 7 C. DAVIES GBR Ducati Panigale R 22 +0:09.265
4 12 X. FORES ESP Panigale R 22 +0:09.821
5 1 J. REA GBR Kawasaki ZX-10RR 22 +0:13.896
6 22 A. LOWES GBR Yamaha YZF R1 22 +0:17.028
7 2 L. CAMIER GBR Honda CBR1000RR 22 +0:21.514
8 50 E. LAVERTY IRL Aprilia RSV4 RF 22 +0:23.662
9 60 M. VAN DER MARK NED Yamaha YZF R1 22 +0:27.430
10 36 L. MERCADO ARG Kawasaki ZX-10RR 22 +0:27.446
11 76 L. BAZ FRA BMW S 1000 RR 22 +0:27.748
12 45 J. GAGNE USA Honda CBR1000RR 22 +0:28.466
13 54 T. RAZGATLIOGLU TUR Kawasaki ZX-10RR 22 +0:30.000
14 40 R. RAMOS ESP Kawasaki ZX-10RR 22 +0:53.619
15 37 O. JEZEK CZE Yamaha YZF R1 22 +1:02.682
16 99 P. JACOBSEN USA Honda CBR1000RR 22 +1:09.775
DNF 81 J. TORRES ESP MV Agusta 1000 F4 19 +3 Laps
DNF 17 T. HERFOSS AUS Honda CBR1000RR 19 +3 Laps
DNF 68 Y. HERNANDEZ COL Kawasaki ZX-10RR 13 +9 Laps
DNF 25 D. FALZON AUS Yamaha YZF R1 9 +13 Laps
DNF 47 W. MAXWELL AUS Yamaha YZF R1 1 +21 Laps
Marco Melandri has overcome the factory Kawasakis to win the first race of the 2018 Superbike World Championship at Phillip Island.

Melandri trailed Tom Sykes and Jonathan Rea for the first half of the 22-lap race but rode into the lead at the start of Lap 19 and went on to win by just over a second.

Sykes took second and Chaz Davies came from further back to also make the podium in a race run in overcast conditions.

Having qualified on pole, Sykes led the field away despite a challenge from Melandri into the first corner.

The Aruba.it Ducati rider had to get out of the move, allowing a fast-starting Rea to slip past at Southern Loop and make a Kawasaki Racing Team one-two.

Sykes skipped away to a 1.599s lead after four laps as the field surprisingly became somewhat strung out.

Melandri, however, stuck with Rea and made his move at the Turn 4 Hairpin on Lap 15, by which time then-fourth placed Xavi Fores was more than five seconds behind.

Trailing the leader by just under a second by that stage, Melandri caught Sykes over the next two laps before using a slipstream to get past on Gardner Straight with four laps remaining.

kals
Legendary Member
Legendary Member
Favourite Motorsport: F1..BTCC..MotoGP
Favourite Racing Car: Benetton B189
Favourite Circuit: Donington Park

Post by kals »

I wonder if WSBK has given Rea special tyres that degrade much faster than others, just so to give other riders a chance in 2018.
Everso Biggyballies
Legendary Member
Legendary Member

I think he got the sulks because he was out-qualified, out started and likes to be out front, rode too hard to get himself to his rightful lead, and overdid his tyres himself whilst others rode more conservatively. Or his set up was too aggressive, because they knew prior to the start the tyres were marginal. MvdM also overused his rubber and suffered similar. It was quite amusing to see Rea being passed by one and all in the last laps. Davies was nearly 6 seconds back from Rea, and the commentators asked whether Davies could pull that gap in in the 5 laps remaining.... Chas had caught him and passed him in less than 3 laps. It was quite cool weather (c20C, so maybe they thought they could run harder. They will be in trouble if it is 30C tomorrow. However, I think the forecast is low 20's.