2018 Isle of Man TT

Current motorcycle racing related news, information and discussion.
Everso Biggyballies
Legendary Member
Legendary Member
Favourite Motorsport: Anything that goes left and right.
Favourite Racing Car: Too Many to mention
Favourite Driver: Kimi,Niki,Jim(none called Michael)
Favourite Circuit: Nordschleife, Spa, Mt Panorama.
Car(s) Currently Owned: Audi SQ5 3.0L V6 TwinTurbo
Location: Just moved 3 klms further away so now 11 klms from Albert Park, Melbourne.

Post by Everso Biggyballies »

Bottom post of the previous page:

Over 45,000 Motorcycle Racing enthusiasts from around the world* are set to converge on the Isle of Man and line their favourite spots on the Island’s hedgerows to secure the best vantage points to watch history being made before their eyes.

The 2017 meeting saw the continued dominance and fierce rivalry between two of the event’s fastest and most successful riders in its history; Englishman Ian Hutchinson and Northern Ireland’s Michael Dunlop., The pair shared four race wins between them which saw Hutchinson move to fourth on the all-time race winner’s leaderboard with 16 wins, one place ahead of Dunlop who has 15, a gap that the Northern Ireland rider is looking to eradicate in 2018.
* One of which is our own @Andy, mixing spectating with Marshalling duties. Hope you are having a ball Andy. Looks like the weather has been kind.

Some qualifying info from IOMTT website:

The first qualifying session for the 2018 Isle of Man TT Races got underway in perfect conditions on Saturday evening. Dean Harrison and Michael Dunlop topped the Supersport and Lightweight leaderboards having lapped at 125.797mph and 120.875mph respectively, the latter inside the class lap record, albeit unofficial to lay down an early marker for the Bennetts Lightweight TT Race on Wednesday 6th June.

Saturday Sessions

Lightweight times https://www.iomtt.com/~/media/Files/201 ... t-26.5.pdf

Supersport: https://www.iomtt.com/~/media/Files/201 ... s-26.5.pdf

Sidecars: https://www.iomtt.com/~/media/Files/201 ... s-26.5.pdf

Monday Sessions
Perfect conditions again greeted the competitors for the second qualifying session at the Isle of Man TT Races, fuelled by Monster Energy, and Dean Harrison (Silicone Engineering Kawasaki) topping the Superbike leaderboard at an impressive 131.376mph, the quickest ever lap recorded on the opening night of Superbike qualifying.

Michael Dunlop (Tyco BMW) third lap of the evening was only slightly slower at 131.087mph while Peter Hickman (Smiths Racing BMW) went quickest in the Superstock category, a lap of 130.219mph making him the third rider above the 130mph mark on the night.
https://www.iomtt.com/news/2018/05/28/h ... ng-session for full report.

Superbike: https://www.iomtt.com/~/media/Files/201 ... s-28.5.pdf

Superstock: https://www.iomtt.com/~/media/Files/201 ... signed.pdf

Supersport: https://www.iomtt.com/~/media/Files/201 ... signed.pdf

Sidecars: https://www.iomtt.com/~/media/Files/201 ... s-28.5.pdf

Sidecar crew 39: Thierry Laforest/ Freddy Lebulez from France had an accident at Brandywell. Driver Laforest OK, passenger Lebulez taken by airmed to Nobles hospital with reported minor shoulder and leg injury.

* I started life with nothing, and still have most of it left

“Good drivers have dead flies on the side windows!” (Walter Röhrl)

* I married Miss Right. Just didn't know her first name was Always
Everso Biggyballies
Legendary Member
Legendary Member
Location: Just moved 3 klms further away so now 11 klms from Albert Park, Melbourne.

Today's Qualifying action: (Racing starts Saturday)

18:20 - 19:25 Superbike / Superstock / Supersport / Newcomers (except Lightweight)

19:25 - 19:55 Supersport / Lightweight / Newcomers (all Solo classes)

20:00 - 20:50 Sidecars

Everso Biggyballies
Legendary Member
Legendary Member

Strange things happen in the IOM at TT time.... Sessions get delayed for almost anything now.
Hope it was not on @Andy's watch! (I think he is marshalling in qualifying.)
A spectator at the Isle of Man TT has been jailed after he entered the circuit.

James Ford forced the delay of a session on Monday after failing to comply with marshals’ instructions, thereby obstructing the conduct of the race meeting.

Marshals contacted the clerk of the course, who then spoke to the 67-year-old only to be told “I’m not moving. If you send police you’d better make sure they’re big lads,” as quoted by the BBC.

The incident took place near Half Way House in Crosby, about four miles (6.4km) into the 37 mile (60km) course, a location where speeds are typically north of 200km/h.

“To suddenly come on to a pedestrian walking along the road would have catastrophic outcomes, not only for the person illegally on closed roads and the rider, but for other spectators,” said Sgt Andrew Reed.

Ford, from Yorkshire in the UK, was arrested before being sentenced to four weeks in jail.

He was also slapped with an exclusion order, meaning he’ll be unable to return to the Isle of Man for five years.
Last edited by Everso Biggyballies 5 years ago, edited 1 time in total.

Everso Biggyballies
Legendary Member
Legendary Member

Tuesday Qualifying

Back to more spectacular news!

133mph lap for Harrison.

Dean Harrison set the 2018 Isle of Man TT Races alight on Tuesday evening with a stunning lap of 133.462mph, which unofficially broke the Superbike lap record and also saw him become the second rider to lap the Mountain Course in less than 17 minutes.

The Silicone Engineering Kawasaki rider laid down a marker from the outset with an opening lap of 133.140mph, the fastest ever standing start lap – albeit unofficially – before increasing his pace second time around. The Bradford rider’s quickest lap prior to tonight was 132.019mph, set in last year’s PokerStars Senior TT race.

Other category headlines:

Hickman continues Superstock form while Dunlop posts fastest Supersport lap
Lintin is fastest in Lightweight class
Holden / Cain continue good form in Sidecar session

Full report: https://www.iomtt.com/news/2018/05/29/h ... qualifying

Tuesday Qualifying times:

Superbikes: https://www.iomtt.com/~/media/Files/201 ... s-29.5.pdf

Superstock: https://www.iomtt.com/~/media/Files/201 ... s-29.5.pdf

Supersport: https://www.iomtt.com/~/media/Files/201 ... s-29.5.pdf

Lightweight: https://www.iomtt.com/~/media/Files/201 ... s-29.5.pdf

Sidecars: https://www.iomtt.com/~/media/Files/201 ... s-29.5.pdf

Todays action:

Due to get underway at 18.20 to 19.40 with Superbike/ Superstock / Supersport/ Newcomers (except Lightweight) with the Sidecars out at 19.45 to 20.40 and the TT Zero bikes getting their first qualifying laps in at 20.40.

Everso Biggyballies
Legendary Member
Legendary Member

Sad to read that William Dunlop has withdrawn from this years TT for personal reasons,
After two nights of practice for this year’s Isle of Man TT William Dunlop has made the decision to withdraw from the remainder of the event for personal reasons. The thirty two year old made the decision after discussions with team boss Tim Martin and will leave the island to head home and take some time off before hopefully returning to winning ways later in the year.
William Dunlop wrote: “This is a very difficult decision and not one I have taken lightly, I can only apologise to the team and all of our sponsors but I believe that continuing would be the wrong decision and would not give a true account of either myself or the team. I would like to thank Tim especially for how understanding and supportive he has been over the past few weeks, I obviously feel like I have let him and the team down but they have stood by me throughout. I am going to head home and take some time to recuperate before making a decision on when I will be back on the Temple Yamahas.”

sadsac
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Favourite Motorsport: all of them
Favourite Racing Car: 1990 Ferrari 640 F1
Favourite Driver: Ayrton Senna
Favourite Circuit: Spa
Car(s) Currently Owned: Seat Arona FR ,Skoda Fabia VRS

Post by sadsac »

Cannot believe a great rider and a great human being Dan Kneen has been killed in qualifying crash
RIP Dan Kneen :rip: :rip:
erwin greven
Staff
Staff
Favourite Motorsport: Endurance Racing
Favourite Racing Car: Lancia Delta 038 S4 Group B
Favourite Driver: Ronnie Peterson
Favourite Circuit: Nuerburgring Nordschleife
Car(s) Currently Owned: Peugeot 206 SW Air-Line 3 2007

Post by erwin greven »

erwin greven wrote: 5 years ago I hope no fatalities this year, but i fear the worst.
:sorrow:
Brian Redman: "Mr. Fangio, how do you come so fast?" "More throttle, less brakes...."
Everso Biggyballies
Legendary Member
Legendary Member

Very sad news indeed.

From the ACU Statement:
ACU Events Ltd regrets to confirm that Dan Kneen, 30, from Onchan in the Isle of Man died this evening following injuries sustained during the Superbike qualifying session on the Isle of Man.

Dan had an accident at Churchtown on the first lap of the session and died at the scene of the incident.

Dan made his mountain course debut at the Manx Grand Prix in 2008 and won an unprecedented three races – the Junior, the Newcomers C and the Ultra Lightweight MGP Races.

He achieved his first TT podium in last year’s Superstock Race, finishing third in the Superstock TT Race. He has a fastest official lap of 130.347mph which he set in last year’s Superstock Race and recorded a lap of 132.258mph (17:06.994) in last night’s Superbike qualifying session.

ACU Events Ltd wishes to pass on their deepest sympathy to Dan's partner Leanne, his family and his many friends in the road racing community and beyond.
Dan in qualifying earlier this week

Dan Kneen and crew celebrating his first TT podium last year in Superstock

RIP Dan Kneen :rip:

Andy
Supreme Member
Supreme Member
Favourite Motorsport: 2 & 3 Wheeling
Favourite Racing Car: Bike ;) - Yamaha YZR 500
Favourite Driver: Justin 'Weeman' Collins
Favourite Circuit: Isle of Man - Mountain Course
Car(s) Currently Owned: M'cycle ;) - Yamaha FZS 600

Post by Andy »

Everso Biggyballies wrote: 5 years ago Very sad news indeed.

From the ACU Statement:
ACU Events Ltd regrets to confirm that Dan Kneen, 30, from Onchan in the Isle of Man died this evening following injuries sustained during the Superbike qualifying session on the Isle of Man.

Dan had an accident at Churchtown on the first lap of the session and died at the scene of the incident.

Dan made his mountain course debut at the Manx Grand Prix in 2008 and won an unprecedented three races – the Junior, the Newcomers C and the Ultra Lightweight MGP Races.

He achieved his first TT podium in last year’s Superstock Race, finishing third in the Superstock TT Race. He has a fastest official lap of 130.347mph which he set in last year’s Superstock Race and recorded a lap of 132.258mph (17:06.994) in last night’s Superbike qualifying session.

ACU Events Ltd wishes to pass on their deepest sympathy to Dan's partner Leanne, his family and his many friends in the road racing community and beyond.
Dan in qualifying earlier this week

Dan Kneen and crew celebrating his first TT podium last year in Superstock

RIP Dan Kneen :rip:
Shortly after the 2nd pic we all sat in a mates backyard and had a huge bbq which Dan attended as well.
Dan's incident happened just outside the sector I'm in and he was the first one going through that night.
Barring any technical fault, in my opinion he just wanted too much in the attempt of keeping up with Michael Dunlop. Sad, but these things can happen round here

RIP Dan
:rip:
"Those who risk nothing, do nothing, achieve nothing, become nothing" - David Jefferies
Andy
Supreme Member
Supreme Member

Post by Andy »

As it stands we've got a one hour delay.
I'm a bit knackered, I've to admit. I only came back to grandstand around midnight after dealing with the #5 e-bike of Ian Lougher caught fire out at Quarry Bends during practice last night. I was back in by 1am but had to get up at 7am again for ny lift to the top of Lambfell.
No marshaling today but photos from here.
Fast and safe !
"Those who risk nothing, do nothing, achieve nothing, become nothing" - David Jefferies
Everso Biggyballies
Legendary Member
Legendary Member

Bad luck for Dean Harrison in the SUperbike race.... doing it easy having shattered the lap record on his standing start lap, only to break down on the 4th lap, leaving the win to Michael Dunlop on his Tyco BMW. (His 16th TT win) Undoubtedly an emotional win for the team giving the events of the last week. (A fitting tribute to Dan Kneen who was riding for Tyco on a BMW)

Edit: I missed the race last night and just looking through my TV Guide to be reminded that it is replayed in full on our Fox 506 channel now.... racing about to start. Had I remembered I would not have looked up the results first. :roll:
Michael Dunlop gave Tyco BMW an emotional victory in today’s RST Superbike race, the opening race of the 2018 Isle of Man TT Races fuelled by Monster Energy, with the Ulsterman taking over the lead on lap four after long time leader Dean Harrison retired at Sulby Crossroads.

The Silicone Engineering Kawasaki rider shattered the outright lap record from a standing start with a lap of 134.432mph to open up an 18 second lead but as he hit problems, Dunlop took his 16th TT win by 50.8s from Conor Cummins (Padgetts Honda) with James Hillier (Quattro Plant JG Speedfit Kawasaki) taking third.

Dunlop duly took the chequered flag for his 16th TT win with Cummins equalling his best ever result in second as he took his seventh TT podium. Hillier rounded out the podium, the 11th time he has been on the TT rostrum.

Further back, David Johnson equalled his best ever TT result in fourth while Rutter saw off a late charge from Johnston to hold onto fifth. Martin Jessopp took his best ever 1000cc result around the Mountain Course in a fine seventh with Ivan Lintin and Phil Crowe doing likewise in eighth and ninth, the latter only a fraction off his maiden 130mph+ lap with a speed of 129.957mph. Josh Brookes completed the top ten.
Full report: https://www.iomtt.com/news/2018/06/02/d ... ike-tt-win

Pos No. Rider Machine/Entrant Time Speed Subclass Replica
1 6 Michael Dunlop BMW / Tyco BMW 01:44:13.398 130.324 Silver
2 1 Conor Cummins Honda / padgettsmotorcycles.com 01:45:04.259 129.273 Silver
3 2 James Hillier Kawasaki / Quattro Plant JG Speedfit Kawa 01:45:25.919 128.830 Silver
4 9 David Johnson BMW / Gulf BMW 01:45:58.637 128.167 Silver
5 3 Michael Rutter BMW / Bathams BMW 01:47:27.374 126.403 Silver
6 13 Lee Johnston Honda / Honda Racing 01:47:42.014 126.117 Silver
7 12 Martin Jessopp BMW / Riders Motorcycles BMW 01:48:04.898 125.672 Silver
8 23 Ivan Lintin Kawasaki / Dafabet Devitt Racing 01:48:07.017 125.631 Silver
9 18 Philip Crowe BMW / HandTrans-John Chapman Racing 01:48:12.101 125.532 Silver
10 11 Joshua Brookes Norton / Norton Motorcycles 01:48:14.276 125.490 Silver
11 27 Sam West BMW / PRL / Worthington 01:48:16.964 125.438 Silver
12 16 Jamie Coward BMW / Team Penz13.com BMW Motorrad 01:48:21.999 125.341 Silver
13 24 Shaun Anderson Suzuki / Anderson Race Developments 01:48:31.783 125.153 Silver
14 15 Derek Sheils BMW / Team Penz13.com BMW Motorrad 01:49:08.054 124.460 Silver
15 36 Derek McGee Kawasaki / McGee/Doyne Racing 01:49:42.533 123.808 Bronze
16 80 Davey Todd* Suzuki / Burrows Engineering Racing 01:50:26.513 122.986 Bronze
17 44 Rob Hodson BMW / JGH Racing 01:51:02.779 122.317 Bronze
18 25 James Cowton Kawasaki / McAdoo Kawasaki Racing 01:51:05.421 122.268 Bronze
19 30 Stefano Bonetti BMW / Speed Motor 01:51:42.662 121.589 Bronze
20 39 Kamil Holan BMW / McRace 01:52:04.733 121.190 Bronze
21 48 Danny Webb BMW / Penz13 BMW by PSi Leathers 01:52:28.041 120.771 Bronze
22 52 Raul Torras Martinez Yamaha / Martimotos.com Racing 01:52:29.155 120.751 Bronze
23 45 Barry Lee Evans Suzuki / PRF Racing 01:53:14.349 119.948 Bronze
24 43 Bjorn Gunnarsson BMW / Alternativ1 MC 01:53:26.171 119.740 Bronze
25 56 Julien Toniutti BMW / Team 2B - Moraco / Martimotos / B 01:53:54.201 119.248 Bronze
26 59 David Hewson BMW / Obsession Engineering Ltd 01:53:58.089 119.181 Bronze
27 79 David Jackson* BMW / The People's Bike 01:54:01.530 119.121 Bronze
28 47 Barry Furber Kawasaki / BMF Racing / Moto-Design 01:54:25.679 118.702 Bronze
29 81 Ian Pattinson BMW / Weardale Racing 01:54:28.729 118.649 Bronze
30 71 Davy Morgan BMW / DM71 01:54:38.480 118.481 Bronze
31 49 Darren Cooper BMW / NW Racing 01:54:42.183 118.417
32 58 Allann Venter Suzuki / Cookstown Burrows Engineering S 01:55:22.411 117.729
33 53 Adrian Harrison Kawasaki / Graham Barker 01:55:52.151 117.225
34 60 Charles Rhys Hardisty BMW / The People's Bike 01:55:54.458 117.186
35 70 Paul Potchy Williams BMW / Potchy's MOT Station 01:55:55.078 117.176
36 72 Josh Daley Kawasaki / Josh Daley Racing 01:57:09.621 115.933
37 63 Tom Weeden Honda / Tom Weeden Racing 01:59:23.799 113.762
38 74 George Spence Yamaha / Dod Spence Racing 01:59:38.166 113.534

In the sidecars race the Birchall Bros continued their form of late to take the win from John Holden / Lee Cain in 2nd and Reeves and Wilkes 3rd.

Race 1 for the sidecars results: https://www.iomtt.com/~/media/Files/201 ... -Sheet.pdf

Everso Biggyballies
Legendary Member
Legendary Member

Just a quick apology for not updating this thread with results as they happen. I have been a bit selfish and not checking the IOM TT website as I have been enjoying our next day replays on TV. They are on the following evening and it beats being awake at 4am when it is getting wintery here. Bed is warmer.
Also been preparing myself for a quick routine surgery tomorrow, running around getting things organised. (Nothing serious.)

Andy
Supreme Member
Supreme Member

Post by Andy »

no worries. Somehow I can't add pics. It looks like they are uploading but then the mobile doesn't create a link
Andy
Supreme Member
Supreme Member

Post by Andy »

Just a couple pics to start my resumee with for now.

#11 Josh Brookes, Norton

ImageImageImageImageImageImage

:bye:
Andy
Supreme Member
Supreme Member

Post by Andy »

#25 Sam Mousley (Newcomer)
Post TT, Billown

ImageImageImageImage

:bye:
Everso Biggyballies
Legendary Member
Legendary Member

@Andy Great pics as usual. :thumbsup: Thanks for taking the time to share and post them in busy times for you.. :wink: