Nicky Hayden RIP

Current motorcycle racing related news, information and discussion.
Everso Biggyballies
Legendary Member
Legendary Member
Favourite Motorsport: Anything that goes left and right.
Favourite Racing Car: Too Many to mention
Favourite Driver: Kimi,Niki,Jim(none called Michael)
Favourite Circuit: Nordschleife, Spa, Mt Panorama.
Car(s) Currently Owned: Audi SQ5 3.0L V6 TwinTurbo
Location: Just moved 3 klms further away so now 11 klms from Albert Park, Melbourne.

Post by Everso Biggyballies »

Bottom post of the previous page:

So very sad to read this.
He will be sorely missed by competitors and and fans worldwide. A champion and a gentleman
Thoughts and condolences with Nicky's Family and friends.

RIP The Kentucky Kid #69.

* I started life with nothing, and still have most of it left

“Good drivers have dead flies on the side windows!” (Walter Röhrl)

* I married Miss Right. Just didn't know her first name was Always
Antonov
Legendary Member
Legendary Member
Favourite Motorsport: Formula 1
Favourite Racing Car: MP4/13 ; F40
Favourite Driver: M. Hakkinen
Favourite Circuit: Some shitty street circuit
Car(s) Currently Owned: VW Golf GTI

Post by Antonov »

RIP Nicky. I remember your championship season well, remember how you were furious with Pedrosa at Estoril.
Simply sad. Wish you well, Kentucky Kid #69
sadsac
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Favourite Motorsport: all of them
Favourite Racing Car: 1990 Ferrari 640 F1
Favourite Driver: Ayrton Senna
Favourite Circuit: Spa
Car(s) Currently Owned: Seat Arona FR ,Skoda Fabia VRS

Post by sadsac »

:sorrow: :rip: Devastating news i cannot believe it poor Nicky ......R.I.P CHAMP :rip: :rip:
MonteCristo
Favourite Motorsport: Openwheel
Favourite Racing Car: Tyrrell P34/Protos
Favourite Driver: JV
Favourite Circuit: Road America

Post by MonteCristo »

Awfully sad news. RIP Nicky.
Oscar Piastri in F1! Catch the fever! Vettel Hate Club. Life membership.

2012 GTP Non-Championship Champion | 2012 Guess the Kai-Star Half Marathon Time Champion | 2018 GTP Champion | 2019 GTP Champion
Everso Biggyballies
Legendary Member
Legendary Member
Location: Just moved 3 klms further away so now 11 klms from Albert Park, Melbourne.

On TV here there are currently airing a tribute to Nicky in the form of his initial MotoGP win at Laguna Seca back in 2005. I remember the race and am looking forward to seeing the emotional family celebrations on his win. 12 laps to go....

Sadly the tears today are in sorrow not joy.

Andy
Supreme Member
Supreme Member
Favourite Motorsport: 2 & 3 Wheeling
Favourite Racing Car: Bike ;) - Yamaha YZR 500
Favourite Driver: Justin 'Weeman' Collins
Favourite Circuit: Isle of Man - Mountain Course
Car(s) Currently Owned: M'cycle ;) - Yamaha FZS 600

Post by Andy »

Thought of the day: A cyclists discards a stop sign and gets killed by a car coming by. Now who cares for the traumatized car driver, who will be in this state a long time if not for life?
"Those who risk nothing, do nothing, achieve nothing, become nothing" - David Jefferies
strad
Ultimate Member
Ultimate Member
Car(s) Currently Owned: 2004 Mustang SVT Cobra + Colorado

Post by strad »

So you're aware of the story that he ran a stop sign. I didn't want to be the one to bring it up.
Still sad to see him go. I always enjoyed his enthusiasm and humor.
edit
guess I missed an earlier post mentioning that I didn't like reading about Nicky's' death so missed it.
If a man can't look at danger and still go on, man has stopped living. If the worst ever happens – then it means simply that I've been asked to pay the bill for the happiness of my life – without a moment's regret. Graham Hill
Andy
Supreme Member
Supreme Member

Post by Andy »

To be honest, when I saw that map (without any video evidence when it was posted first) I was pretty sure what happened .... and got the in slack for it in my chatroom.
I have exactly that happened quite a couple times already, without the tragic outcome just because I was always able to throw the emergency anchor early enough. This goes for Johnny public, the amateur as well as the wannabe Lance Armstrongs (insert any pro cyclists name in here, still the same)

It is also a pretty sad irony that I discussed exactly this topic with a german motorcycle racing tv commentator a couple weeks prior to the incident.

Please don't get me wrong. I do not want to upset people in their grief and I also liked Nicky. But what remains is the question about the driver. This is pretty much similar to a train driver hitting down a suicidal on the rail. And there will remain some sort of trauma, lifelong in worst case.

One of those things I've observed on fellow comrades after truly bad alerts in the 25 years of being a voluntary firefighter, too. PTD is really tough on some of the lads and lasses. The driver will be traumatized whatever, and having knocked down a rather prominent won't help the case.

Enough thoughts for a night.
Cheers,
:bye:
"Those who risk nothing, do nothing, achieve nothing, become nothing" - David Jefferies
kals
Legendary Member
Legendary Member
Favourite Motorsport: F1..BTCC..MotoGP
Favourite Racing Car: Benetton B189
Favourite Circuit: Donington Park

Post by kals »

Very true and very fair @Andy
erwin greven
Staff
Staff
Favourite Motorsport: Endurance Racing
Favourite Racing Car: Lancia Delta 038 S4 Group B
Favourite Driver: Ronnie Peterson
Favourite Circuit: Nuerburgring Nordschleife
Car(s) Currently Owned: Peugeot 206 SW Air-Line 3 2007

Post by erwin greven »

Nicky as being a cyclist isn't the first one and won't be the last. A cyclist on a racing cycle is a bit of an alien in a world in which he does not fit. Very vulnerable, fast and very difficult to evade, see, or even anticipate to. As a car driver for 20 years i am amazed how little concerned cyclists are when they are on the road in groups with high speeds up to 40-50kmh. Being on cycling paths or on the road itself they can't brake easily while the opposing traffic never anticipates on them.
Brian Redman: "Mr. Fangio, how do you come so fast?" "More throttle, less brakes...."
MonteCristo
Favourite Motorsport: Openwheel
Favourite Racing Car: Tyrrell P34/Protos
Favourite Driver: JV
Favourite Circuit: Road America

Post by MonteCristo »

I was telling my wife last week about how there's a SEMI BLIND (decently thick trees) corner (well, a road, that leads directly onto a bike path) coming home from work where every second week I have a near miss (or see one) because cyclists don't stop for cars as they just swing onto the road to keep their momentum. They don't even look across to see if cars are there. Sigh.
Oscar Piastri in F1! Catch the fever! Vettel Hate Club. Life membership.

2012 GTP Non-Championship Champion | 2012 Guess the Kai-Star Half Marathon Time Champion | 2018 GTP Champion | 2019 GTP Champion
caneparo
Legendary Member
Legendary Member
Favourite Racing Car: Ferrari
Favourite Circuit: Monza
Car(s) Currently Owned: Fiat 500X

Post by caneparo »

erwin greven wrote: 6 years ago Nicky as being a cyclist isn't the first one and won't be the last. A cyclist on a racing cycle is a bit of an alien in a world in which he does not fit. Very vulnerable, fast and very difficult to evade, see, or even anticipate to. As a car driver for 20 years i am amazed how little concerned cyclists are when they are on the road in groups with high speeds up to 40-50kmh. Being on cycling paths or on the road itself they can't brake easily while the opposing traffic never anticipates on them.
I live in a cycling area, just to say the name of the city where i live gave the name to a glorious bycicling comoany of the past. I see cyclist every day and i must say italy is not a cycling friendly country, and both behaviour of cyclist and car drivers should be more careful. I must say that what happened to hayden was one of the many cyclist accident that happen everyday here. This is really sad, think of scarponi, to say that it happened in my country
I am from Italy, a country known for its history, cars, food, wine, and horny men
http://www.facebook.com/pages/Forged-In ... 565?ref=ts
Ian-S
Legendary Member
Legendary Member

Post by Ian-S »

It's the same everywhere, we have a crossroads in town that is controlled by lights, cyclists ignore them and ride straight through, several have been hit yet they never seem to learn. In London it is a major problem, what they do there is they tend to pull up alongside a car or lorry that is turning left, pull off as normal and ride straight into the side when the car/van/lorry turns, I absolutely dread pulling first up to traffic lights because of this - but instead of pointing out the obvious and trying to educate the cyclist into not putting themselves in that position, the driver is more often arrested and blamed for the death (before the charges are quietly dropped) and just left to it.

What we don't know is if Nicky knew the area, it could be he didn't and wasn't aware of the junction until he was on it which would be unfortunate. Our lane is a popular cycle route, it's part of the track they use to run a race on once a year, and the contempt and general lack of fear shown towards cars by cyclists on a Sunday morning causes a lot of arguments at our junction.
I am very sorry if you find my posts long and boring, I like to type and often go off on a tangent.
If this is the case, you may click here to solve the problem, or alternatively here too.
Andy
Supreme Member
Supreme Member

Post by Andy »

Ian-S wrote: 6 years ago ......
What we don't know is if Nicky knew the area, it could be he didn't and wasn't aware of the junction until he was on it which would be unfortunate. Our lane is a popular cycle route, it's part of the track they use to run a race on once a year, and the contempt and general lack of fear shown towards cars by cyclists on a Sunday morning causes a lot of arguments at our junction.
Especially if I am not familiar with the area I`m riding in (whether on m'cycle, cycle or car) I`m extra careful and I surely do not discard a stop sign anyway.
caneparo
Legendary Member
Legendary Member
Favourite Racing Car: Ferrari
Favourite Circuit: Monza
Car(s) Currently Owned: Fiat 500X

Post by caneparo »

It s been said that Nicky often cycled in that area, so he probably knew the possible issues. It s rumored that he was messing with his ipod and didn t notice the danger of that crossing
I am from Italy, a country known for its history, cars, food, wine, and horny men
http://www.facebook.com/pages/Forged-In ... 565?ref=ts
Everso Biggyballies
Legendary Member
Legendary Member

Suspended sentence for Hayden crash driver

The driver who fatally struck Nicky Hayden while the former MotoGP champion was cycling in Italy has been handed a one-year suspended prison sentence.

Hayden was found to be 30% to blame, for failing to stop at a stop sign, but the unamed driver was found to be largely to blame, mainly due to his exceeding the 50kph speed limit by more than 20kph. The driver was found guilty of road homicide.

Hayden had been cycling on the Rimini coast on May 17 last year when he was hit by a car, causing brain damage and ultimately his death five days later.

According to local news outlet Rimini Today and Italian sports newspaper La Gazzetta dello Sport, the 31-year-old driver, who was not named, was found guilty of road homicide.

The trial took place under an abbreviated procedure, meaning that the sentence would already be reduced by one third.

Prosecutors had been seeking a term of one year and two months after an investigation that Hayden and the driver shared culpability for the crash.

In addition to the suspended prison sentence, the driver had his licence cancelled and was ordered to pay court costs.

The crash had been investigated by a pool of three experts, one each appointed by the prosecutor, defence, and a lawyer representing the Hayden family.

It found Hayden was riding at a speed of just over 20km/h when he failed to obey a stop sign, while the driver had been exceeding the 50km/h speed limit by more than 20km/h.

As such, Hayden was determined to be 30 percent at fault for the crash with the driver shouldering the remainder of the blame.

Furthermore, the prosecutor’s expert Orlando Omicini, a former police officer, claimed that if the driver been travelling at the speed limit then “by reacting and braking, the accident would have been avoided.”

The judge will reveal the reasons for his decision within 90 days.
https://www.speedcafe.com/2018/10/11/su ... sh-driver/
Hayden’s family is pursuing civil action against the driver.