Remembering the fallen

Current motorcycle racing related news, information and discussion.
Everso Biggyballies
Legendary Member
Legendary Member
Favourite Motorsport: Anything that goes left and right.
Favourite Racing Car: Too Many to mention
Favourite Driver: Kimi,Niki,Jim(none called Michael)
Favourite Circuit: Nordschleife, Spa, Mt Panorama.
Car(s) Currently Owned: Audi SQ5 3.0L V6 TwinTurbo
Location: Just moved 3 klms further away so now 11 klms from Albert Park, Melbourne.

Post by Everso Biggyballies »

Bottom post of the previous page:

RIP :rip:

* I started life with nothing, and still have most of it left

“Good drivers have dead flies on the side windows!” (Walter Röhrl)

* I married Miss Right. Just didn't know her first name was Always
hollie3sa

Post by hollie3sa »

Tony Jefferies has died

Tony Jefferies, multiple TT winner and prominent member of a great Yorkshire motorcycling dynasty, has died.

He was 72, had been seriously ill for some time but insisted, against medical advice, on attending the recent funerals of his two great friends Paul Smart and Peggy Appleyard.

It was typical of a man whose life was a mixture of triumph and tragedy, the former his success on the Isle of Man and short circuits including the famous Transatlantic series; the latter a tragic accident during TT practice in 2003 which killed his son David; few years later, the death of his wife Pauline; and his own paralysing handicap from a crash in 1973 at Mallory Park.

[...]
Full story here: https://www.bikesportnews.com/news/news ... s-has-died
Everso Biggyballies
Legendary Member
Legendary Member
Location: Just moved 3 klms further away so now 11 klms from Albert Park, Melbourne.

Sad news and a sad ending to the year. (I believe he died a few days ago c 30th December)

I remember his wife died on the eve of the TT in 2008.
Tony will be remembered for the role he played in the success of the family-run motorbike dealer business Allan Jefferies, established in 1917 at premises in Saltaire Road, Shipley and now based in Berry Drive, off Otley Road, Baildon. His daughter has run that business since 2000, so the family name continues.

RIP Tony Jefferies

MonteCristo
Favourite Motorsport: Openwheel
Favourite Racing Car: Tyrrell P34/Protos
Favourite Driver: JV
Favourite Circuit: Road America

Post by MonteCristo »

Death at the TT :(.
Tragedy as Mark Purslow killed after qualifying crash at Isle of Man TT

Motorcyclist Mark Purslow has tragically died whilst competing at this year's Isle of Man TT Races event. Purslow was involved in a fatal crash on Wednesday, after being out on the track competing in a qualifying session.

The event confirmed Purslow's death on Wednesday evening following a statement on their official website. They wrote: "We are deeply saddened to announce the passing of Mark Purslow following an incident in this evening’s qualifying session. All our thoughts are with his family, friends and loved ones.

"Mark made his first appearance on the TT Mountain Course at the 2015 Manx Grand Prix where he won the Lightweight Race on his debut.
https://www.mirror.co.uk/sport/other-sp ... t-27127578
Oscar Piastri in F1! Catch the fever! Vettel Hate Club. Life membership.

2012 GTP Non-Championship Champion | 2012 Guess the Kai-Star Half Marathon Time Champion | 2018 GTP Champion | 2019 GTP Champion
Everso Biggyballies
Legendary Member
Legendary Member

RIP Mark Purslow

Andy
Supreme Member
Supreme Member
Favourite Motorsport: 2 & 3 Wheeling
Favourite Racing Car: Bike ;) - Yamaha YZR 500
Favourite Driver: Justin 'Weeman' Collins
Favourite Circuit: Isle of Man - Mountain Course
Car(s) Currently Owned: M'cycle ;) - Yamaha FZS 600

Post by Andy »

The nature of the beast, unfortunately.
If you come over here and get involved, whether as a rider or marshal, you are at least aware that it can happen but you put it back somewhere in your mind.

That said, I wish I could access my photo-db for a nice pic of Mark from Frohburg last year. It worked at home but somehow it doesn't over here.

Thoughts and prayers to Mark, his family and friends as well as the marshals involved.

RIP Mark, it has been great to have known you.
"Those who risk nothing, do nothing, achieve nothing, become nothing" - David Jefferies
Everso Biggyballies
Legendary Member
Legendary Member

Posted in the TT thread but copied here.

Sidecar racer Olivier Lavorel dies after incident on Saturday at Isle of Man TT

The 2022 Isle of Man TT has been marred by a second death this week after Sidecar racer and newcomer Olivier Lavorel was killed in an accident on Saturday.A three-lap Sidecar race was due to follow the Superbike contest, but was red-flagged just moments after it got underway due to a serious incident at Ago’s Leap one mile into the course.
It is thought one outfit crashed and a following Sidecar was caught unsighted as it began its lap and hit the stricken machine, causing a major fire incident.

As a result, the race was stopped and subsequently cancelled for the evening as the incident was attended to by emergency responders.

Tragically, TT organisers have confirmed that French Sidecar passenger Lavorel was killed in the incident, while the driver of the Shock Factory outfit – Cesar Chanel – was airlifted to Aintree Hospital in a critical condition.

A statement from TT organisers read: “The Isle of Man TT Races regrets to confirm that Olivier Lavorel, 35, from Sillingy, France was killed in an incident during the first Sidecar race of the 2022 Isle of Man TT Races.

“The accident occurred at Ago’s Leap, just under one mile into the course, on the opening lap of the race.

“Olivier was competing in his first TT as a passenger to Cesar Chanel.

“Cesar was taken to Noble’s Hospital by road and airlifted to Aintree Hospital in a critical condition.

“Olivier and Cesar were both newcomers at the Isle of Man TT Races and had been elevated from start number 39 to start number 21 after qualifying as the 15th fastest pairing, having posted an impressive lap speed of 108.420mph.

“An experienced pairing, Olivier and Cesar had taken numerous victories and podiums in the French F1 and F2 National Sidecar Championships.

“The Isle of Man TT Races pass on their deepest sympathy to Olivier’s family, friends and loved ones, and our thoughts and best wishes are with Cesar at this time.”
https://www.autosport.com/tt/news/sidec ... /10316700/

RIP Olivier Lavorel,

Best wishes for Cesar Chanel to make a full and swift recovery.

MonteCristo

Post by MonteCristo »

Another death at the TT.

https://www.theguardian.com/sport/2022/ ... n-tt-races
The 2022 Isle of Man TT races claimed a third life on Monday when Northern Irish rider Davy Morgan was killed in a crash during the first Supersport race of the event.

Organisers said the 52-year-old veteran, making his 80th TT start since his debut in 2002, suffered a fatal accident on the third and final lap on the mountain section of the course.

A statement issued by the race organisers said it was “with a heavy heart” that they confirmed Morgan’s death. “The Isle of Man TT Races pass on their deepest sympathy to Davy’s partner Trudy, his family, loved ones, and friends.”

Morgan was a regular fixture in racing paddocks across Ireland, the Isle of Man and at the Macau Grand Prix for almost 30 years. He won a 250cc race at the North West 200 in 2005 and two victories in the same class at the Ulster Grand Prix in 2012 and 2017.
RIP Davy.

2012 GTP Non-Championship Champion | 2012 Guess the Kai-Star Half Marathon Time Champion | 2018 GTP Champion | 2019 GTP Champion
Everso Biggyballies
Legendary Member
Legendary Member

80 TT starts in 20 years at the Island.! Mind boggling really.

Truly sad news.

RIP Davy Morgan.

Vassago
Favourite Motorsport: Formula 1, IndyCar
Favourite Driver: Senna, Clark, Montoya
Favourite Circuit: Circuit Gilles Villeneuve

Post by Vassago »

It was actually Cesar Chanal, not Olivier Lavorel who died in the sidecar crash. A complete & utter shambles from Isle of Man. They needed four days to even establish which of them died?

https://www.bbc.com/sport/motorsport/61733290
07.04.1968 - Flower of Scotland when will we see your like again?
01.05.1994 - We'll never forget...
Cheeveer
Favourite Racing Car: Panoz GTR1
Favourite Driver: Alex Zanardi
Favourite Circuit: Bathurst

Post by Cheeveer »

Vassago wrote: 1 year ago It was actually Cesar Chanal, not Olivier Lavorel who died in the sidecar crash. A complete & utter shambles from Isle of Man. They needed four days to even establish which of them died?

https://www.bbc.com/sport/motorsport/61733290
Full statement:
"injuries that would not support life" implies what the identification issue is all about. Horrific, all of this. Wish the families well.
***Some say you should live each day like it was your last... but who wants to live each day in wild panic and extreme death anxiety?

The universe, look at the hugeness of it... it is a dizzying thought that little ol' me is the centre of it all!***
Everso Biggyballies
Legendary Member
Legendary Member

I cant imagine the rollercoaster of trauma and emotions the families of both Cesar Chanal and Olivier Lavorel have gone through in recent days. Thoughts, condolences and wishes to both families.

What happened after the incident is unacceptable and inexcusable .

MonteCristo

Post by MonteCristo »

Cheeveer wrote: 1 year ago "injuries that would not support life" implies what the identification issue is all about. Horrific, all of this. Wish the families well.
Jesus.

A mess in every sense.

Vassago
Favourite Motorsport: Formula 1, IndyCar
Favourite Driver: Senna, Clark, Montoya
Favourite Circuit: Circuit Gilles Villeneuve

Post by Vassago »

It's a monumental blunder. People need to be fired over such lack of professionalism. This wasn't a case of a single person mistaken identity. You had two men involved. A quick look at their IG indicates they were using different suits at the races and they had them at the TT as well. You wouldn't need four days to establish who used which overall suit.
07.04.1968 - Flower of Scotland when will we see your like again?
01.05.1994 - We'll never forget...
DoubleFart
Elite Member
Elite Member
Favourite Motorsport: F1

Post by DoubleFart »

Assuming injuries that wouldn't support life to mean what I would expect it to mean, surely even just the helmets are enough to identify? Who doesn't have their name on their helmet? Unless they were both taken off in the accident?

I just don't get how this can happen - don't they have blood type markers on them and ID specially for emergency staff?
Gavle Yule Goat Predictor 2018, 2019 and 2021 Champion
MonteCristo wrote: 2 years agoVettel: Not a fan at all on track. But off track, good guy.
MonteCristo

Post by MonteCristo »

DoubleFart wrote: 1 year ago Assuming injuries that wouldn't support life to mean what I would expect it to mean, surely even just the helmets are enough to identify? Who doesn't have their name on their helmet? Unless they were both taken off in the accident?

I just don't get how this can happen - don't they have blood type markers on them and ID specially for emergency staff?
I assume they were pretty much scalped if it is that way, and helmets came off (not that uncommon in big road racing accidents were you can catch basically anything).

If they didn't have some ID and details on their suits, they should have.

I support road racing continuing - people make a choice at their own free will. But things like basic ID/medical details on the inside of suits (unless they got torn up too?) should mandatory. If not for an extreme event like this to ID someone, then to at least have immediate access to health records and be able to do a blood transfusion and alike immediately (rather than needing to wait to contact family, who might not be at an event like this).