Remembering the fallen

Current motorcycle racing related news, information and discussion.
MonteCristo
Favourite Motorsport: Openwheel
Favourite Racing Car: Tyrrell P34/Protos
Favourite Driver: JV
Favourite Circuit: Road America

Post by MonteCristo »

Bottom post of the previous page:

DoubleFart wrote: 1 year ago Assuming injuries that wouldn't support life to mean what I would expect it to mean, surely even just the helmets are enough to identify? Who doesn't have their name on their helmet? Unless they were both taken off in the accident?

I just don't get how this can happen - don't they have blood type markers on them and ID specially for emergency staff?
I assume they were pretty much scalped if it is that way, and helmets came off (not that uncommon in big road racing accidents were you can catch basically anything).

If they didn't have some ID and details on their suits, they should have.

I support road racing continuing - people make a choice at their own free will. But things like basic ID/medical details on the inside of suits (unless they got torn up too?) should mandatory. If not for an extreme event like this to ID someone, then to at least have immediate access to health records and be able to do a blood transfusion and alike immediately (rather than needing to wait to contact family, who might not be at an event like this).
Oscar Piastri in F1! Catch the fever! Vettel Hate Club. Life membership.

2012 GTP Non-Championship Champion | 2012 Guess the Kai-Star Half Marathon Time Champion | 2018 GTP Champion | 2019 GTP Champion
Everso Biggyballies
Legendary Member
Legendary Member
Favourite Motorsport: Anything that goes left and right.
Favourite Racing Car: Too Many to mention
Favourite Driver: Kimi,Niki,Jim(none called Michael)
Favourite Circuit: Nordschleife, Spa, Mt Panorama.
Car(s) Currently Owned: Audi SQ5 3.0L V6 TwinTurbo
Location: Just moved 3 klms further away so now 11 klms from Albert Park, Melbourne.

Post by Everso Biggyballies »

MonteCristo wrote: 1 year ago
DoubleFart wrote: 1 year ago Assuming injuries that wouldn't support life to mean what I would expect it to mean, surely even just the helmets are enough to identify? Who doesn't have their name on their helmet? Unless they were both taken off in the accident?

I just don't get how this can happen - don't they have blood type markers on them and ID specially for emergency staff?
I assume they were pretty much scalped if it is that way, and helmets came off (not that uncommon in big road racing accidents were you can catch basically anything).

If they didn't have some ID and details on their suits, they should have.

I support road racing continuing - people make a choice at their own free will. But things like basic ID/medical details on the inside of suits (unless they got torn up too?) should mandatory. If not for an extreme event like this to ID someone, then to at least have immediate access to health records and be able to do a blood transfusion and alike immediately (rather than needing to wait to contact family, who might not be at an event like this).
I know in car racing bacck in the days when I raced if you drove in anything but clubbie events we had to have our blood group on our firesuit, and maybe name as well. I seem to recall that even on our competition licence application we had to show our blood group for all but clubbie licences.

Nowadays I cant think of a driver who does not have their name on their suit, although the blood group no longer seems to feature. I guess now they have such advance blood screening facilities it is no longer an issue, although for any urgent trackside injuries knowing what blood group to use would be at least helpful.

AFAIK with any RTA type death someone who knows the deceased well is asked to confirm the identity for death certificates. There must have been some form of support crew who would have been able to identify what were two fairly high profile competitors in Europe, regardless of the fact they were IoM first timers.

I cant believe there is no formal recording details to avoid this type of situation, particularly at an event with the record and annual expectation of fatalities and serious injuries to occur. If not I daresay in the enquiry that will follow some mandate of formal identification proof will be on the list.

Not wishing to trivialise the shocking mistaken identity scandal in the iomtt, but in terms of blood group. on drivers racesuits, a couple of amusing (potential mythical ?) stories were that Tony Lanfranchi (2x GP DNS and overall racing legend, and one of Gerry Marshall's drinking mates in the UK and whose love of an ale are legendary) supposedly had his blood group shown as ALE+.
Innes Ireland is said to have answered blood group questions with "Johnny Walker".

* I started life with nothing, and still have most of it left

“Good drivers have dead flies on the side windows!” (Walter Röhrl)

* I married Miss Right. Just didn't know her first name was Always
Andy
Supreme Member
Supreme Member
Favourite Motorsport: 2 & 3 Wheeling
Favourite Racing Car: Bike ;) - Yamaha YZR 500
Favourite Driver: Justin 'Weeman' Collins
Favourite Circuit: Isle of Man - Mountain Course
Car(s) Currently Owned: M'cycle ;) - Yamaha FZS 600

Post by Andy »

https://idm.de/2022/09/23/tragischer-un ... ockenheim/

Am Freitag, dem 23. September 2022, ereignete sich beim Finale der Internationalen Deutschen Motorradmeisterschaft (IDM) ein schwerer Unfall auf dem Hockenheimring. Im zweiten freien Training der IDM Superbike stürzte Leon Langstädtler und erlitt schwerste Verletzungen. Das Training wurde sofort mit der roten Flagge abgebrochen.

Langstädtler wurde umgehend ärztlich versorgt. Trotz intensiver Bemühungen der Mediziner erlag der 24-Jährige aus Idstein noch vor Ort seinen Verletzungen.

Alle am Rennen beteiligten Organisationen bedauern das tragische Unglück und wünschen den Angehörigen und Freunden Kraft in diesen schweren Stunden.
RIP Leon
Heartfelt sympathies to family, friends and team.
"Those who risk nothing, do nothing, achieve nothing, become nothing" - David Jefferies
Everso Biggyballies
Legendary Member
Legendary Member
Location: Just moved 3 klms further away so now 11 klms from Albert Park, Melbourne.

Andy wrote: 1 year ago
https://idm.de/2022/09/23/tragischer-un ... ockenheim/

Am Freitag, dem 23. September 2022, ereignete sich beim Finale der Internationalen Deutschen Motorradmeisterschaft (IDM) ein schwerer Unfall auf dem Hockenheimring. Im zweiten freien Training der IDM Superbike stürzte Leon Langstädtler und erlitt schwerste Verletzungen. Das Training wurde sofort mit der roten Flagge abgebrochen.

Langstädtler wurde umgehend ärztlich versorgt. Trotz intensiver Bemühungen der Mediziner erlag der 24-Jährige aus Idstein noch vor Ort seinen Verletzungen.

Alle am Rennen beteiligten Organisationen bedauern das tragische Unglück und wünschen den Angehörigen und Freunden Kraft in diesen schweren Stunden.
RIP Leon
Heartfelt sympathies to family, friends and team.
On Friday, September 23, 2022, a serious accident occurred at the Hockenheimring during the finale of the International German Motorcycle Championship (IDM). In the second free practice session of the IDM Superbike, Leon Langstädtler fell and suffered serious injuries. The training was immediately stopped with the red flag. Langstädtler received immediate medical attention. Despite the intensive efforts of the doctors, the 24-year-old from Idstein succumbed to his injuries on the spot. All organizations involved in the race regret the tragic accident and wish the relatives and friends strength in these difficult hours.
RIP Leon

Andy
Supreme Member
Supreme Member
Favourite Motorsport: 2 & 3 Wheeling
Favourite Racing Car: Bike ;) - Yamaha YZR 500
Favourite Driver: Justin 'Weeman' Collins
Favourite Circuit: Isle of Man - Mountain Course
Car(s) Currently Owned: M'cycle ;) - Yamaha FZS 600

Post by Andy »

It is with great regret to announce the passing of German Road Racer Thomas 'Ziesel' Walther, aged 45, who succumbed to a heart attack in the very early hours of September 30.

Having known Thomas, but also his father Bernd as well as parts of Thomas' extended family, this came as a terrible shock and left me completly aghast, especially since Thomas was only a few weeks my senior.

I would like to take the opportunity to pass on my heartfelt sympathies and best wishes to father Bernd, the family and friends.

Rest in peace, my friend
:rip:

https://www.speedweek.com//idmallgemein ... ntent=btn1
"Those who risk nothing, do nothing, achieve nothing, become nothing" - David Jefferies
PTRACER
Forum Administrator
Forum Administrator
Favourite Motorsport: Formula 1
Favourite Racing Car: Lotus 49
Favourite Driver: Gilles Villeneuve, James Hunt
Favourite Circuit: Nordschleife
Car(s) Currently Owned: Mitsubishi Lancer Evo X JDM

Post by PTRACER »

Andy wrote: 1 year ago It is with great regret to announce the passing of German Road Racer Thomas 'Ziesel' Walther, aged 45, who succumbed to a heart attack in the very early hours of September 30.

Having known Thomas, but also his father Bernd as well as parts of Thomas' extended family, this came as a terrible shock and left me completly aghast, especially since Thomas was only a few weeks my senior.
That's way too young, my condolences to you Andy :tearful:
Developer of the 1967v3 Historic Mod for Grand Prix Legends: viewtopic.php?t=17429

King of the Race Track, Destroyer of Tyres, Breaker of Lap Records
Everso Biggyballies
Legendary Member
Legendary Member

Andy wrote: 1 year ago It is with great regret to announce the passing of German Road Racer Thomas 'Ziesel' Walther, aged 45, who succumbed to a heart attack in the very early hours of September 30.

Sorry to hear that Andy and as has been said way too young to have died in this way.
Thoughts and condolences to you Andy and also his Father Bernd and family.

erwin greven
Staff
Staff
Favourite Motorsport: Endurance Racing
Favourite Racing Car: Lancia Delta 038 S4 Group B
Favourite Driver: Ronnie Peterson
Favourite Circuit: Nuerburgring Nordschleife
Car(s) Currently Owned: Peugeot 206 SW Air-Line 3 2007

Post by erwin greven »

MSVR statement: Chrissy Rouse

Following an accident during Bennetts British Superbike Championship race three at Donington Park (on Sunday 2 October 2022), competitor Chrissy Rouse crashed heavily on the opening lap of the race and was unavoidably struck by an immediately following rider. He sustained a significant head injury.

The race was stopped and he was treated immediately trackside by the BSB Medical Team before being transferred to the circuit medical centre.

He was stabilised and put in a medically induced coma at the medical centre before being transferred to Queens Medical Centre/University Hospital, Nottingham for further assessment and treatment. He underwent an emergency neurosurgical procedure shortly after admission.

It is with great regret that we have to announce that Chrissy Rouse aged 26, from Newcastle upon Tyne, has succumbed to his injuries, and passed away peacefully, surrounded by his family in hospital earlier this afternoon.

On behalf of Chrissy’s family they wish to convey their deep appreciation for the support and well wishes that they have received in recent days. As well they wish to thank all the attending marshals and medical services who provided such skill and care attending to Chrissy. The family also ask for privacy at this difficult time as they attempt to deal with their devastating loss.

MSVR is now working with the Coroner, Police and the Motorcycle Circuit Racing Control Board in order to investigate the full circumstances of this tragic accident.

Our deepest condolences are extended to Chrissy’s family, friends and team members.

Issued at 18:30 on Thursday 6 October 2022
https://www.britishsuperbike.com/news/2 ... issy-rouse
Brian Redman: "Mr. Fangio, how do you come so fast?" "More throttle, less brakes...."
sadsac
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Favourite Motorsport: all of them
Favourite Racing Car: 1990 Ferrari 640 F1
Favourite Driver: Ayrton Senna
Favourite Circuit: Spa
Car(s) Currently Owned: Seat Arona FR ,Skoda Fabia VRS

Post by sadsac »

God speed Chrissy :rip:
Everso Biggyballies
Legendary Member
Legendary Member

RIP Chrissy Rouse :rip: :rip:

Everso Biggyballies
Legendary Member
Legendary Member

Very sad news today as we lose an icon from days gone by.....

500cc world champion Phil Read , the "Prince of Speed"dies

Phil Read, the first person to win world championships in the 125cc, 250cc, and 500cc classes of motorcycle racing, has died at the age of 83.

The Briton collected seven titles in 14 years in grand prix competition, winning 52 races across four classes, the other being 350cc.

A statement from Read’s family read, “It is with incredible sadness that the Read family reports the passing of Phil Read MBE while peacefully asleep on the morning of October 6th, 2022, at his home in Caterbury, England.

“Phil is best known for winning Yamaha’s first world championship title in 1964 with four more Yamaha-mounted titles including one fought as a privateer, plus two premier class 500cc world championships in 1973 and 1974 for the Italian MV Agusta marque.

“Often a controversial and outspoken figure, his prolific racing career included 52 FIM Grand Prix wins and eight wins at the iconic Isle of Man TT Races. In 2002 he was granted the status of ‘MotoGP Legend’ by Dorna.

“Phil is survived by his sons Michael, Graham, Phil Jr, Roki and daughter Esme.”

The FIM also paid tribute.

“The FIM is sad to announce the sudden and recent passing of seven-times FIM Grand Prix Road Racing World Champion Phillip William Read at the age of eighty-three years old,” read a statement from the governing body.

“Nicknamed ‘The Prince of Speed’, Read was the first man to win World Championships in the 125cc, 250cc and 500cc classes. Phil won his first title in 1964 and then followed it up with another 250 championship the following year.

“However, his best-ever season was perhaps in 1968 when he won both the 125 and 250 championships in the same season. He also went on to secure back-to-back 500cc title wins in 1973 and 1974.

“A true character on and off the track, Phil will be missed by all that knew and met him. The entire FIM Family extends its condolences to his family and many friends at this sad and difficult time.”
https://www.speedcafe.com/2022/10/07/50 ... read-dies/

The family announcement on Instagram. https://www.instagram.com/p/CjYLxv7LBkC ... eafba137e8

A few more pics I dug out....

And a video

A Yamaha statement on Read’s passing said:
“The Yamaha Racing family is incredibly saddened by the news that Phil Read MBE, Yamaha’s first-ever road racing World Champion, passed away peacefully in his sleep at home in Canterbury, England this morning… Everyone at Yamaha offers their sincere condolences to Phil’s family and friends.”
Godspeed Phil Read. :rip:

hollie3sa

Post by hollie3sa »

MonteCristo
Favourite Motorsport: Openwheel
Favourite Racing Car: Tyrrell P34/Protos
Favourite Driver: JV
Favourite Circuit: Road America

Post by MonteCristo »

hollie3sa wrote: 1 year ago
RIP.

"And more are inevitable under the current rules"

I don't follow bikes enough to know. What's the problem with the current rules?
Oscar Piastri in F1! Catch the fever! Vettel Hate Club. Life membership.

2012 GTP Non-Championship Champion | 2012 Guess the Kai-Star Half Marathon Time Champion | 2018 GTP Champion | 2019 GTP Champion
Everso Biggyballies
Legendary Member
Legendary Member

Interesting to read that, whilst of no consolation to Victor's sad passing, apparently already 5 others are in the process of having their own lives improved by the kind family 'donation' of his organs to be used.

Indeed Victor's is the 2nd death in near enough a year in Supersports 300..... Dean Berta Viñales, cousin of MotoGP rider Maverick, lost his life following a crash at Jerez in September 2021.

Sadly in the loss of Victor we lost a huge future talent.... he had enjoyed a great season and was a potential champion in Supersport 300 this year, alrteady with four wins, five podiums and three pole positions this year..... 12 points-scoring finishes out of 14 races. He has more pole positions than any rider in Supersport 300 history.

Family statement:
“Something you have always been afraid of as a parent of a motorcycle racer has now happened. Our Victor could not win this last race. Despite the unbearable loss and grief, we are extremely proud to share with you that our hero, through his passing, was able to save 5 other people by donating his organs. We would like to thank everyone for the way you have lived with us over the past few days. We will miss our Victor enormously.”

RIP Victor Steeman

Everso Biggyballies
Legendary Member
Legendary Member

Everso Biggyballies wrote: 1 year ago
Interesting to read that, whilst of no consolation to Victor's sad passing, apparently already 5 others are in the process of having their own lives improved by the kind family 'donation' of his organs to be used.

Indeed Victor's is the 2nd death in near enough a year in Supersports 300..... Dean Berta Viñales, cousin of MotoGP rider Maverick, lost his life following a crash at Jerez in September 2021.

Sadly in the loss of Victor we lost a huge future talent.... he had enjoyed a great season and was a potential champion in Supersport 300 this year, alrteady with four wins, five podiums and three pole positions this year..... 12 points-scoring finishes out of 14 races. He has more pole positions than any rider in Supersport 300 history.

Family statement:
“Something you have always been afraid of as a parent of a motorcycle racer has now happened. Our Victor could not win this last race. Despite the unbearable loss and grief, we are extremely proud to share with you that our hero, through his passing, was able to save 5 other people by donating his organs. We would like to thank everyone for the way you have lived with us over the past few days. We will miss our Victor enormously.”

RIP Victor Steeman

This story just got a whole lot sadder.

Just two days after the world of motorsport mourned Steeman’s death, it is reported that Steeman’s mother – named as Flora van Limbeek – passed away on Thursday.

Ms Van Limbeek, described in the report as Steeman’s “biggest fan”, died after suffering a cardiac arrest at her home in Lathum, The Netherlands. She was 59 and is survived by her husband Willem.

The MotoGP paddock came together at Phillip Island ahead of the Australian MotoGP to pay their respects to Steeman with a moment of silence, having also honoured legendary rider Phil Read who also passed away.

Here is the link to the sad news on https://www.racesport.nl/na-victor-stee ... overleden/

:rip: :rip: :tearful: :tearful: Thoughts and condolences to the poor Father at this time. Lost a son and his wife within 2 days of each other.

Everso Biggyballies
Legendary Member
Legendary Member

Isle of Man TT confirms death of Olivier Lavorel from 2022 event, 4 months on.

From the news back in June:
Cheeveer wrote: 1 year ago
Vassago wrote: 1 year ago It was actually Cesar Chanal, not Olivier Lavorel who died in the sidecar crash. A complete & utter shambles from Isle of Man. They needed four days to even establish which of them died?

https://www.bbc.com/sport/motorsport/61733290
Full statement:
"injuries that would not support life" implies what the identification issue is all about. Horrific, all of this. Wish the families well.

Update: Olivier Lavorel Deceased .... confirmed 25th October 2022 RIP

Sad to report that, some 4 months on Olivier Lavorel has now also succumbed to injuries received in the accident on June 4th that took his compatriot César Chanal

As previously mentioned Lavorel had originally been identified as the deceased following that tragic incident, although it was later corrected that his driver, Cesar Chanal, was the fatality.

An inquest would find that the mix-up occurred because each had the other’s identification tag on their person, for reasons unknown, and both were too badly injured to be identified from photographs.

Statement from Isle of Man TT
The Isle of Man TT Races is deeply saddened to learn of the passing of Sidecar competitor, Olivier Lavorel, from Sillingy, France.

Olivier sustained serious injuries in an incident during the opening lap of the first Sidecar Race of the 2022 Isle of Man TT Races on the Saturday 4th June. The accident occurred at Ago’s Leap, just under 1 mile into the Course, and also claimed the life of Olivier’s team mate, César Chanal.

Olivier was airlifted to hospital in Liverpool before being transferred to a hospital in France in late June where his treatment continued.

Both Olivier and César were newcomers to the Isle of Man TT Races in 2022 but were an experienced pairing, taking numerous victories and podiums in the French F1 and F2 National Sidecar Championships.

Everyone at the Isle of Man TT Races passes on their deepest sympathy to Olivier’s family, friends and loved ones at this tragic time.
RIP Olivier Lavorel,. :rip:

It means the number of competitors to have died as a result of crashes at the 2022 IoMTT now stands at six, making it the deadliest TT since 1970.

As well as the French sidecar pairing of César Chanal and now, Olivier Lavorel father-and-son sidecar pairing Roger and Bradley Stockton, from Crewe, died in a crash at the same spot during the second sidecar race. Northern Ireland's Davy Morgan also sustained fatal injuries in the first Supersport race and Welsh rider Mark Purslow was killed in qualifying.

RIP Roger and Bradley Stockton, Davy Morgan, Mark Purslow plus of course César Chanal and Olivier Lavorel