This year's TT carnage...

Current motorcycle racing related news, information and discussion.
White six
Advanced Member
Advanced Member

This year's TT carnage...

Post by White six »

Fill me in on how and why this is acceptable in this day and age?
The board equivalent of the Jody scheckter chicane. Fast but pointless
MonteCristo
Favourite Motorsport: Openwheel
Favourite Racing Car: Tyrrell P34/Protos
Favourite Driver: JV
Favourite Circuit: Road America

Post by MonteCristo »

I guess it harks back to old school freedom to take risks at your own expense.

I have no problem if people know the risks, and they surely all do.
Oscar Piastri in F1! Catch the fever! Vettel Hate Club. Life membership.

2012 GTP Non-Championship Champion | 2012 Guess the Kai-Star Half Marathon Time Champion | 2018 GTP Champion | 2019 GTP Champion
Michkov
Advanced Member
Advanced Member

Post by Michkov »

No one is putting a gun to the riders heads. I'm willing to consider the acceptability when bikes go flying into crowds, not when riders freely choose to run.
Microsprinter18
Advanced Member
Advanced Member

Post by Microsprinter18 »

To be fair, I think it's "grandfathered in" at this point like Monaco is...
yes, I am the NASCAR flip list guy...
MonteCristo
Favourite Motorsport: Openwheel
Favourite Racing Car: Tyrrell P34/Protos
Favourite Driver: JV
Favourite Circuit: Road America

Post by MonteCristo »

Michkov wrote: 1 year ago No one is putting a gun to the riders heads. I'm willing to consider the acceptability when bikes go flying into crowds, not when riders freely choose to run.
Yep.

One in three die trying to climb Annapurna. Ban it!
Oscar Piastri in F1! Catch the fever! Vettel Hate Club. Life membership.

2012 GTP Non-Championship Champion | 2012 Guess the Kai-Star Half Marathon Time Champion | 2018 GTP Champion | 2019 GTP Champion
Vassago
Favourite Motorsport: Formula 1, IndyCar
Favourite Driver: Senna, Clark, Montoya
Favourite Circuit: Circuit Gilles Villeneuve

Post by Vassago »

I believe there are more "amateurs" or "part-timers" competing at TT overall these days and the level of competition is kinda going down? Checked the Senior TT entry list, same old names at the front like it was 2015 or earlier, McGuinness, Rutter, Hutchinson. However I see Glenn Irwin has entered too?

Anyway, I have a feeling there is a lowering of the standards going on and that will increase the number of fatal accidents.
07.04.1968 - Flower of Scotland when will we see your like again?
01.05.1994 - We'll never forget...
DoubleFart
Elite Member
Elite Member
Favourite Motorsport: F1

Post by DoubleFart »

The people who have died this year are not rookies to riding a bike or sidecar. They're experienced in other championships, some front runners. Others are extremely experienced at IOM.
Gavle Yule Goat Predictor 2018, 2019 and 2021 Champion
MonteCristo wrote: 2 years agoVettel: Not a fan at all on track. But off track, good guy.
Everso Biggyballies
Legendary Member
Legendary Member
Favourite Motorsport: Anything that goes left and right.
Favourite Racing Car: Too Many to mention
Favourite Driver: Kimi,Niki,Jim(none called Michael)
Favourite Circuit: Nordschleife, Spa, Mt Panorama.
Car(s) Currently Owned: Audi SQ5 3.0L V6 TwinTurbo
Location: Just moved 3 klms further away so now 11 klms from Albert Park, Melbourne.

Post by Everso Biggyballies »

DoubleFart wrote: 1 year ago The people who have died this year are not rookies to riding a bike or sidecar. They're experienced in other championships, some front runners. Others are extremely experienced at IOM.
I think two of the three sidecar fatalities were, although well experienced, were IoM rookies. The son was a first timer at the island as were both the French guys.

Interesting that all three sidecar fatalities happened at the same bit of track at Ago's leap.

Already the most fatalities in a single year since 1989 when there were also 5.

* I started life with nothing, and still have most of it left

“Good drivers have dead flies on the side windows!” (Walter Röhrl)

* I married Miss Right. Just didn't know her first name was Always
julif
Bronze Member
Bronze Member
Favourite Motorsport: F1, Nascar, INDYCAR, Le Mans, Rally
Favourite Driver: Helio
Favourite Circuit: Indianapolis

Post by julif »

Everso Biggyballies wrote: 1 year ago
DoubleFart wrote: 1 year ago The people who have died this year are not rookies to riding a bike or sidecar. They're experienced in other championships, some front runners. Others are extremely experienced at IOM.
I think two of the three sidecar fatalities were, although well experienced, were IoM rookies. The son was a first timer at the island as were both the French guys.

Interesting that all three sidecar fatalities happened at the same bit of track at Ago's leap.

2014 also had 5 deaths.
Everso Biggyballies
Legendary Member
Legendary Member
Favourite Motorsport: Anything that goes left and right.
Favourite Racing Car: Too Many to mention
Favourite Driver: Kimi,Niki,Jim(none called Michael)
Favourite Circuit: Nordschleife, Spa, Mt Panorama.
Car(s) Currently Owned: Audi SQ5 3.0L V6 TwinTurbo
Location: Just moved 3 klms further away so now 11 klms from Albert Park, Melbourne.

Post by Everso Biggyballies »

julif wrote: 1 year ago

2014 also had 5 deaths.
Whoops.... I read it somewhere ... just checked and in fact1989 actually had 8 fatalities on the IOM, 5 at the TT and 3 at the Manx, 2 months later, so what I read was referring to just the TT not the Isle of Man in total..

2014 did have 5 fatalities on the Isle of Man but only 2 at the TT with the other 3 at the Manx (a totally different event) that year. But I did say the whole year so my comment was at best misleading (ie wrong! :blush: ), and should have specified at the TT rather than the entire year.. I should have read it more carefully. :whistling:

Full list of fatalities in this (Wiki)link.... it shows by fatality the date / year and event. I guess the source I read was just referring to the TT deaths only rather than the Island including the Manx. But you are right, there were 5 deaths at the IOM overall in 2014.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_I ... fatalities

* I started life with nothing, and still have most of it left

“Good drivers have dead flies on the side windows!” (Walter Röhrl)

* I married Miss Right. Just didn't know her first name was Always
Andy
Supreme Member
Supreme Member
Favourite Motorsport: 2 & 3 Wheeling
Favourite Racing Car: Bike ;) - Yamaha YZR 500
Favourite Driver: Justin 'Weeman' Collins
Favourite Circuit: Isle of Man - Mountain Course
Car(s) Currently Owned: M'cycle ;) - Yamaha FZS 600

Post by Andy »

In the exact same spot.
Foto below shows the wall past the first accident last Saturday. After the 2nd accident on Friday, the wall and fence to the right broke off entirely
Last edited by Andy 1 year ago, edited 1 time in total.
"Those who risk nothing, do nothing, achieve nothing, become nothing" - David Jefferies
Andy
Supreme Member
Supreme Member

Post by Andy »

2014 also had 5 deaths.
Whoops.... I read it somewhere ... just checked and in fact1989 actually had 8 fatalities on the IOM, 5 at the TT and 3 at the Manx, 2 months later, so what I read was referring to just the TT not the Isle of Man in total..

2014 did have 5 fatalities on the Isle of Man but only 2 at the TT with the other 3 at the Manx (a totally different event) that year. But I did say the whole year so my comment was at best misleading (ie wrong! :blush: ), and should have specified at the TT rather than the entire year.. I should have read it more carefully. :whistling:

Full list of fatalities in this (Wiki)link.... it shows by fatality the date / year and event. I guess the source I read was just referring to the TT deaths only rather than the Island including the Manx. But you are right, there were 5 deaths at the IOM overall in 2014.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_I ... fatalities
I've got a very accurate book on every fallen rider until 2016 at home. I'll dig it out when I'm back home come Tuesday or Wednesday
"Those who risk nothing, do nothing, achieve nothing, become nothing" - David Jefferies
mattia2
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Favourite Motorsport: Motogp and WSBK + everythin classic
Favourite Racing Car: Lotus 98T
Favourite Driver: Kevin Schwantz
Favourite Circuit: VIR

Post by mattia2 »

Well, imho i think that sidecars are gone from the island. I'm sad to say it, but 2 crashes in the same point of the track with devastating consequences for both teams is not a coincidence. They're too fast and too unstable on the bumps, even the birchall's almost lost it at ago's leap this year. Either they slow the sidecars down a lot or they will not be there next year.
julif
Bronze Member
Bronze Member
Favourite Motorsport: F1, Nascar, INDYCAR, Le Mans, Rally
Favourite Driver: Helio
Favourite Circuit: Indianapolis

Post by julif »

mattia2 wrote: 1 year ago Well, imho i think that sidecars are gone from the island. I'm sad to say it, but 2 crashes in the same point of the track with devastating consequences for both teams is not a coincidence. They're too fast and too unstable on the bumps, even the birchall's almost lost it at ago's leap this year. Either they slow the sidecars down a lot or they will not be there next year.
I'd like to see them slow down rather than not seeing them at all... But then again if sidecars will be banned, at least there won't be any more fatalities...
Andy
Supreme Member
Supreme Member

Post by Andy »

mattia2 wrote: 1 year ago Well, imho i think that sidecars are gone from the island. I'm sad to say it, but 2 crashes in the same point of the track with devastating consequences for both teams is not a coincidence. They're too fast and too unstable on the bumps, even the birchall's almost lost it at ago's leap this year. Either they slow the sidecars down a lot or they will not be there next year.
... But then again if sidecars will be banned, at least there won't be any more fatalities...
Ban the TT would be the underlying motion, as the same could be said about the singles.
It's wrong though because it's an argument against the freedom of choice. But I'm not surprised that the woke cancel culture is up on the fence against it, using health &safety grounds in their favour.