2021 banter & Silly season thread for MotoGP, Moto2 and Moto3

Current motorcycle racing related news, information and discussion.
MonteCristo
Favourite Motorsport: Openwheel
Favourite Racing Car: Tyrrell P34/Protos
Favourite Driver: JV
Favourite Circuit: Road America

Post by MonteCristo »

Bottom post of the previous page:

Everso Biggyballies wrote: 2 years ago All Remy has to do now to match them is win in MotoGP. Not sure he has it in him tbh, and think he will struggle next year.
Yeah, I have zero faith in that.
Oscar Piastri in F1! Catch the fever! Vettel Hate Club. Life membership.

2012 GTP Non-Championship Champion | 2012 Guess the Kai-Star Half Marathon Time Champion | 2018 GTP Champion | 2019 GTP Champion
Cheeveer
Favourite Racing Car: Panoz GTR1
Favourite Driver: Alex Zanardi
Favourite Circuit: Bathurst

Post by Cheeveer »

Everso Biggyballies wrote: 2 years ago #GrazieVale
yeah, this was a big deal

we'll never see anything like him in motorsports ever again

a bit sad that we celebrate him finishing 10th today in some ways, but man, to have started 432 GP's and have finished on the podium in more than half of them... just batshit insane his career has been, in longevity and success. MotoGP will never be the same...
***Some say you should live each day like it was your last... but who wants to live each day in wild panic and extreme death anxiety?

The universe, look at the hugeness of it... it is a dizzying thought that little ol' me is the centre of it all!***
Everso Biggyballies
Legendary Member
Legendary Member
Favourite Motorsport: Anything that goes left and right.
Favourite Racing Car: Too Many to mention
Favourite Driver: Kimi,Niki,Jim(none called Michael)
Favourite Circuit: Nordschleife, Spa, Mt Panorama.
Car(s) Currently Owned: Audi SQ5 3.0L V6 TwinTurbo
Location: Just moved 3 klms further away so now 11 klms from Albert Park, Melbourne.

Post by Everso Biggyballies »

Cheeveer wrote: 2 years ago
Everso Biggyballies wrote: 2 years ago #GrazieVale
yeah, this was a big deal

we'll never see anything like him in motorsports ever again

a bit sad that we celebrate him finishing 10th today in some ways, but man, to have started 432 GP's and have finished on the podium in more than half of them... just batshit insane his career has been, in longevity and success. MotoGP will never be the same...
Well although I always followed bikes at arms length prior to Rossi, he was the catalyst for me following the sport more closely, plus his abilities and persona have done so much towards the raising of the MotoGP profile worldwide. I cant think of anyone in any sport who is as identifiable as Rossi and what he stands for. He has been and will continue to be, such an iconic ambassador for the Sport of MotoGP, and a role model to so many. Always smiling and always happy to interact with fans.
The farewell to him at Valencia shows the esteem all his competitors, both past and present, plus other sporting legends, Hollywood icons etc hold him in, was great to see and quite an eye opener.
The likes of Hamilton, Schumacher Senna, they are all insignificant is their profile compared to Rossi.

Thanks Valentino for all the memories and Im sure we all wish him the best for a long and happy retirement and success in whatever he does. Im sure he will remain an interested participant of the sport in some form or other, and I am sure we have not seen the last of Rossi in the paddock of circuits and venues of all motorsports.

:flag: :bow: :bow: :bow: :bow: :flag:

* I started life with nothing, and still have most of it left

“Good drivers have dead flies on the side windows!” (Walter Röhrl)

* I married Miss Right. Just didn't know her first name was Always
Andy
Supreme Member
Supreme Member
Favourite Motorsport: 2 & 3 Wheeling
Favourite Racing Car: Bike ;) - Yamaha YZR 500
Favourite Driver: Justin 'Weeman' Collins
Favourite Circuit: Isle of Man - Mountain Course
Car(s) Currently Owned: M'cycle ;) - Yamaha FZS 600

Post by Andy »

MonteCristo wrote: 2 years ago I remember watching Rossi back when he first started in 125s. Used to watch the bikes religiously with my dad back then.

Man, his antics back in the day. He was a blast on and off the track.

Sorry to see him retire. But great that he made it intact after all these years. Well, with one race to go, anyway.

Hopefully he enjoys retirement!
Yes, I do remember these days as well but I also remember watching Mick Doohan, Troy Corser, Helmuth Bradl, Toni Mang, the late 'Mr Superbike' Peter Rubatto as well as the likes of the late Ralf Waldmann, Dirk Raudies, Max Biaggi from their starting days in 125s.
The only one really outmatching Rossi during his career was the late Marco Simonchelli, which bodes a sad irony if someone remembers the accident in which Supersic passed away. Marc Marquez is not even coming close there, despite umpteen world championships.

Rossis antics used to leave me rather cold but I used to enjoy his race craft.
"Those who risk nothing, do nothing, achieve nothing, become nothing" - David Jefferies
SBan83

Post by SBan83 »

Andy wrote: 2 years ago The only one really outmatching Rossi during his career was the late Marco Simonchelli, which bodes a sad irony if someone remembers the accident in which Supersic passed away. Marc Marquez is not even coming close there, despite umpteen world championships.

I'm curious why you think this, Andy. To me, it seems like Simoncelli, in order to perform at his best, had to drive way over his head, and it eventually led to his death. He had to ride at 11/10 just to keep up with those riding 10/10. I remember the season he met his end, every other race, I'd be thinking this man is tempting fate constantly.
Andy
Supreme Member
Supreme Member
Favourite Motorsport: 2 & 3 Wheeling
Favourite Racing Car: Bike ;) - Yamaha YZR 500
Favourite Driver: Justin 'Weeman' Collins
Favourite Circuit: Isle of Man - Mountain Course
Car(s) Currently Owned: M'cycle ;) - Yamaha FZS 600

Post by Andy »

Mr_Ferrari wrote: 2 years ago
Andy wrote: 2 years ago The only one really outmatching Rossi during his career was the late Marco Simonchelli, which bodes a sad irony if someone remembers the accident in which Supersic passed away. Marc Marquez is not even coming close there, despite umpteen world championships.

I'm curious why you think this, Andy. To me, it seems like Simoncelli, in order to perform at his best, had to drive way over his head, and it eventually led to his death. He had to ride at 11/10 just to keep up with those riding 10/10. I remember the season he met his end, every other race, I'd be thinking this man is tempting fate constantly.
That's exactly why.
Marco had to do more on the bike due to somewhat less good material. We are talking tiny to small margins here, but still. If your material is less good you've got to take more risks.
Only last season MM93 paid bitterly due to this slight difference as well and no Marc magic saved him there, think about it ;)
"Those who risk nothing, do nothing, achieve nothing, become nothing" - David Jefferies
Cheeveer
Favourite Racing Car: Panoz GTR1
Favourite Driver: Alex Zanardi
Favourite Circuit: Bathurst

Post by Cheeveer »

had almost forgot about Argentina! That was an epic
***Some say you should live each day like it was your last... but who wants to live each day in wild panic and extreme death anxiety?

The universe, look at the hugeness of it... it is a dizzying thought that little ol' me is the centre of it all!***
Everso Biggyballies
Legendary Member
Legendary Member
Location: Just moved 3 klms further away so now 11 klms from Albert Park, Melbourne.

Cheeveer wrote: 2 years ago
had almost forgot about Argentina! That was an epic
Brilliant stuff thanks for that. After watching that one, YT cued this one up for me to watch.

#GrazieVale: Valentino Rossi's top 10 victories

After 115 wins how do you pick the best 10!
So many of these I had forgotten about, like in the wet at Donington.

Picci
Advanced Member
Advanced Member
Favourite Motorsport: Formula One
Favourite Racing Car: Ferrari
Favourite Driver: Kimi Raikkonen
Favourite Circuit: Spa Francorchamps
Car(s) Currently Owned: Honda Fit

Post by Picci »

I started watching Motogp with my dad back when Rossi used to fight it out with Max Biaggi - I think in 2001 with the yellow Honda. I loved seeing him tear through the field race after race. He rarely pulled a big gap but had a tendency to stay just in front and then win. Then all those last lap dramas - with Sete Gibernau, with Melandri, Stoner and Lorenzo. He always got in front somehow.

Those who watch Italian commentary with Guido Meda know how special it is to listen in and what Vale means to Italy and his fans.

I'll be honest, I'll struggle to get motivated to watch any more Motogp from hereon in. I'm sure there will be many who will come close to his records and maybe even have their own cult following. But I watched Motogp because I liked Rossi's charisma, character and sportsmanship. I watched him because he made the impossible possible. I felt I had a relationship with him that I can't possibly ever have with any other rider.
Everso Biggyballies
Legendary Member
Legendary Member

I know this is the 2021 thread but its not. worth starting a 2022 thread at this stage off the season.....

A bit of a just sayin, but I had forgotten Phillip Island Superbikes are this weekend. Its been a bit of a mix weather wise and is or has been raining there today. Supersport Race 1 just starting now and yeah its wet. Safe race to all. PI isnt good in conditions like this as any crash is likely to be high speed.