Peugeot 205 Serious Accident, Possibly Fatal

Post here if you come across a video or image that you would like identifying.
Sedre
Advanced Member
Advanced Member

Peugeot 205 Serious Accident, Possibly Fatal

Post by Sedre »

I'm not sure if this video was there or not. My friend Isbel Quiroz sent it to me in hope to identify if this was fatal or not.

Warning - serious, possibly fatal crash

I tried to browse all Peugeot 205 fatal rally crashes and only one is possible because there is not much information about it - French driver Yannick Emery was seriously injured at Rallye de la Vallée Saint-Genou in September 1994 and died on the next day:

http://motorsportmemorial.org/focus.php?db=ct&n=7068
hollie3sa

Post by hollie3sa »

Sedre wrote: 2 years ago I'm not sure if this video was there or not. My friend Isbel Quiroz sent it to me in hope to identify if this was fatal or not.

I tried to browse all Peugeot 205 fatal rally crashes and only one is possible because there is not much information about it - French driver Yannick Emery was seriously injured at Rallye de la Vallée Saint-Genou in September 1994 and died on the next day:

http://motorsportmemorial.org/focus.php?db=ct&n=7068
The info in the spoiler can probably be regarded as obsolete
Just gathering some thoughts here. The first that comes to my mind is the 2nd part of the clip. Assuming it was from the same event - which is purely speculative - this might be from around 2001.

The Belgian duo Joost Boxoen/Hans Reynaert drove that Subaru Impreza during the Ypres Westhoek Rally 2001
The snippet can be seen in the video below just after the 3:00 mark

From Wikipedia
At the beginning, plates were black with white or silver characters. Reflective plates were introduced in 1963 but only became compulsory on new cars in 1993. The new plates had to be white on the front and yellow on the rear until 2007, when white rear plates were allowed.[7]
The last two digits indicate the Département. In this case it's 34? Or 36? Or 84?

--------------------

The sponsorship on the door is from PPG Industries

Also mentioned is a "Pizzeria Restaurant Chez ..." - I can not identify the missing word.

If it was an 84 on the license plate, the word "OPPEDE" would make sense. It's a town in the Département Vaucluse in the French region of Provence-Alpes-Côte d'Azur
ReniPaiuti_1

Post by ReniPaiuti_1 »

I remember this accident since I was a child, as it was included in a rally crash compilation I used to watch a lot: it was edited in Italy by RallyMagazine (no longer existing), but in the later years it looked more like clips from all over the world mixed up all together.
There were lot of cruent accidents with no consequences, even if this one looks nasty. I can also confirm that this was not taken in the same race of the Impreza's (e.g. the number plates on the side look different, as the event plate on the front bonnet)
ReniPaiuti_1

Post by ReniPaiuti_1 »

I've been analyzing the accident on the tape I have at home:
1. In the same race (I don't know if in the same year or not) in the very same spot, also another car, a Simca, crashed into the trees with minor consequences.
However, if the year is the same, it's impossible that this is Yannick Emery's crash because the Simca was entered with the number #67, and another Peugeot 205 was given this number in the 1994 Rallye de la Vallée Saint-Genou.
Source: https://www.ewrc-results.com/entries/71 ... enou-1994/ (even if Emery's accident is not mentioned nor included in the starting list).
2. The car has different sponsors based in Oppede: the 'Restaurant Pizzeria Chez Petra' and another society, 'Langston', on the front bonnet.

I hope that my research could help somebody! :)
hollie3sa

Post by hollie3sa »

ReniPaiuti_1 wrote: 2 years ago I've been analyzing the accident on the tape I have at home:
1. In the same race (I don't know if in the same year or not) in the very same spot, also another car, a Simca, crashed into the trees with minor consequences.
However, if the year is the same, it's impossible that this is Yannick Emery's crash because the Simca was entered with the number #67, and another Peugeot 205 was given this number in the 1994 Rallye de la Vallée Saint-Genou.
Source: https://www.ewrc-results.com/entries/71 ... enou-1994/ (even if Emery's accident is not mentioned nor included in the starting list).
2. The car has different sponsors based in Oppede: the 'Restaurant Pizzeria Chez Petra' and another society, 'Langston', on the front bonnet.

I hope that my research could help somebody! :)
It certainly does - very much so, to be exact! Thanks a lot for your effort and your observations!

Do you think there's a way to have a look at the footage you have?
ReniPaiuti_1

Post by ReniPaiuti_1 »

hollie3sa wrote: 2 years ago It certainly does - very much so, to be exact! Thanks a lot for your effort and your observations!

Do you think there's a way to have a look at the footage you have?
Thank you so much! I have digitalized the tape, and stored on a hard drive: as I don't want to worsen the quality more, I can try to upload the whole record as soon as possible.
julif
Bronze Member
Bronze Member
Favourite Motorsport: F1, Nascar, INDYCAR, Le Mans, Rally
Favourite Driver: Helio
Favourite Circuit: Indianapolis

Post by julif »

Does anyone have an update on this one?
hollie3sa

Post by hollie3sa »

I have not, sadly.

@ReniPaiuti_1: Are you still around?
julif
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Post by julif »

hollie3sa wrote: 2 years ago I have not, sadly.

@ReniPaiuti_1: Are you still around?
Unfortunately, it seems like he or she was last logged in around 2 months ago, not sure if he/she will come back :/
ReniPaiuti_1

Post by ReniPaiuti_1 »

julif wrote: 2 years ago Unfortunately, it seems like he or she was last logged in around 2 months ago, not sure if he/she will come back :/
You were not expecting this comeback, did you? :happy:

Sorry for the delay, I was far from home for work: unluckily, the digitalized tape I have at home does not show nothing more relevant (I hoped to have a better view on the front number or other infos, but images aren't clear enough).

By the way, if you are interested, I can still try to upload the tape! I know I have already said it, but recently I'm always in a hurry and I forget nearly everything :roll:
julif
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Post by julif »

ReniPaiuti_1 wrote: 1 year ago
julif wrote: 2 years ago Unfortunately, it seems like he or she was last logged in around 2 months ago, not sure if he/she will come back :/
You were not expecting this comeback, did you? :happy:

Sorry for the delay, I was far from home for work: unluckily, the digitalized tape I have at home does not show nothing more relevant (I hoped to have a better view on the front number or other infos, but images aren't clear enough).

By the way, if you are interested, I can still try to upload the tape! I know I have already said it, but recently I'm always in a hurry and I forget nearly everything :roll:
It would for sure be very interesting to see! :smiley: