1947 Arvol Brunmeier Carrell S'way & Bud Kelleher Oakland Stadium Speedway Sprint Car Crashes

Post here if you come across a video or image that you would like identifying.
Jesper Hvid
Permanent Ban
Permanent Ban

1947 Arvol Brunmeier Carrell S'way & Bud Kelleher Oakland Stadium Speedway Sprint Car Crashes

Post by Jesper Hvid »

From 1950 OSS race programme, unfortunately not precisely dated. It would have been in the Pacific or West Coast competition.

Possibly the aftermath of same, but it appeared on a different page:

Dick Rathmann had an accident, and Bill Holland and Pat Flaherty failed to qualify, for the January race:

http://www.ultimateracinghistory.com/ra ... aceid=1057

Bud Sennett's accident in April can probably be ruled out, as pics of that couldn't have found its way into the last of 2 sprint car programmes of that season.

http://www.ultimateracinghistory.com/ra ... aceid=1058

They may even be older pics that they've used, as there is also in the programme a pic (which we've already seen) of the 1947 accident of Ed Barnett and Bill Sheffler, who drove #1 and #14, respectively, so they're also ruled out: viewtopic.php?f=26&t=14561&p=307491&hil ... tt#p307491
Last edited by Jesper Hvid 2 years ago, edited 2 times in total.
JThur01

Post by JThur01 »

Look closely at those two photos. Yes, I know they are kind of fuzzy :smiley: , but...two different tracks, two different crashes. The top one is not Oakland Stadium, the bottom one is.

Look at all the dirt flying in the top photo. Look at the steepness of the banking in the bottom photo and compare it to the banking on the track in the top photo. Look at the crashwall/fencing.

I have seen the top photo identified as Arvol Brunmier flipping out of, IIRC, Carrell Speedway. 1947 or 1948. Having survived racing in the 1930s, Brunmier retired from racing when he got married, then returned to post-WWII racing. After emerging from the flip in the photo relatively unscathed, Brunmier retired for good.
PTRACER
Forum Administrator
Forum Administrator
Favourite Motorsport: Formula 1
Favourite Racing Car: Lotus 49
Favourite Driver: Gilles Villeneuve, James Hunt
Favourite Circuit: Nordschleife
Car(s) Currently Owned: Mitsubishi Lancer Evo X JDM

Post by PTRACER »

Jesper Hvid wrote: 2 years ago From 1950 OSS race programme, unfortunately not precisely dated. It would have been in the Pacific or West Coast competition.

@JThur01 Looks like you were right.
Jesper Hvid wrote: 13 years ago Arvol Brunmier's major accident at Carrell(sp?) Speedway in 1947, click to enlarge:

Developer of the 1967v3 Historic Mod for Grand Prix Legends: viewtopic.php?t=17429

King of the Race Track, Destroyer of Tyres, Breaker of Lap Records
PTRACER
Forum Administrator
Forum Administrator
Favourite Motorsport: Formula 1
Favourite Racing Car: Lotus 49
Favourite Driver: Gilles Villeneuve, James Hunt
Favourite Circuit: Nordschleife
Car(s) Currently Owned: Mitsubishi Lancer Evo X JDM

Post by PTRACER »

The other one. I guess we just need to look through our own database to ID some of these (which is one reason why I started the CPdB):
Jesper Hvid wrote: 7 years ago
Michael Ferner wrote:
Jesper Hvid wrote:Bud Kelleher at Oakland Speedway in 1948:

Kelleher had big crashes at Oakland in 1947 (Jun 8) and 1948 (May 31), both ARA sanctioned Sprints. Since Bill Sheffler is mentioned in the text, it must be the former, as Sheffler was running with AAA in '48, and on the date of the Kelleher crash he was racing in some obscure event in a Hoosier town.

I realize the text also says "midgets", but trust me, those are Big cars.
OK, maybe there is some sort of a mistake, then, and they are all to do with this:

viewtopic.php?f=26&t=14561&p=305134&hil ... 47#p305134
Developer of the 1967v3 Historic Mod for Grand Prix Legends: viewtopic.php?t=17429

King of the Race Track, Destroyer of Tyres, Breaker of Lap Records
Jesper Hvid
Permanent Ban
Permanent Ban

Post by Jesper Hvid »

Pic 1: 1947, Arvol Brunmeier, Carrell Speedway, Ca., sprint car/big car, and not midget car crash.

Pic 2: 1947, Bud Kelleher, Oakland Stadium Speedway, Ca., ARA sprint car/big car, and not midget car crash.

Solved, and topic title revised.
Jesper Hvid
Permanent Ban
Permanent Ban

Post by Jesper Hvid »

These were the 2nd and third pics for identification I've posted since my return to the forum, which turned out to be already here - posted by myself. The other one was the Lou Figaro, which I should have found by using fewer search words. I can understand why I wouldn't have recognized two of them from memory, but the fact that the Brunmeier pic didn't immediately ring a bell, more than suggests to me that I've lost some of my ability for total forum recall. This means no more identification topics from me, for the time being.

Remember however the importance of continuing to post in this topic.

Educational purposes equal fair use. That is how we get away with it. As long as we solve, or at least try to solve, we are earning the privilege of fair use, across the board, literally. But there is no point in what I've now done twice, as it questions the validity of the work. So, sorry about that, and it won't happen again.