Unknown 1960s Jarama F3 crash

Post here if you come across a video or image that you would like identifying.
Smuto
Favourite Motorsport: Formula 1
Favourite Racing Car: Lotus 79
Favourite Driver: Ronnie Peterson
Favourite Circuit: Osterreichring

Unknown 1960s Jarama F3 crash

Post by Smuto »

I found this crash yesterday, and I've been trying to identify. I think it might be Ulf Svensson crash in a F3 race previous to the 1967 Spanish GP in Jarama, but I'd be grateful if someone is able to confirm it.
theracer120
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post by theracer120 »

The part where the car goes through the guardrail is from Bobby Unser's Phoenix crash in 1965.
Everso Biggyballies
Legendary Member
Legendary Member
Favourite Motorsport: Anything that goes left and right.
Favourite Racing Car: Too Many to mention
Favourite Driver: Kimi,Niki,Jim(none called Michael)
Favourite Circuit: Nordschleife, Spa, Mt Panorama.
Car(s) Currently Owned: Audi SQ5 3.0L V6 TwinTurbo
Location: Just moved 3 klms further away so now 11 klms from Albert Park, Melbourne.

Post by Everso Biggyballies »

theracer120 wrote: 2 years ago The part where the car goes through the guardrail is from Bobby Unser's Phoenix crash in 1965.
Impressive work picking that. :thumbsup:

* I started life with nothing, and still have most of it left

“Good drivers have dead flies on the side windows!” (Walter Röhrl)

* I married Miss Right. Just didn't know her first name was Always
Smuto

Post by Smuto »

theracer120 wrote: 2 years ago The part where the car goes through the guardrail is from Bobby Unser's Phoenix crash in 1965.
Thank you. I didn't expect that video to mix two races that different. Nice catch.
EB
Advanced Member
Advanced Member

Post by EB »

The Bobby Unser crash is 1966 surely?
hollie3sa

Post by hollie3sa »

Smuto wrote: 2 years ago

I found this crash yesterday, and I've been trying to identify. I think it might be Ulf Svensson crash in a F3 race previous to the 1967 Spanish GP in Jarama, but I'd be grateful if someone is able to confirm it.
Could one of the mods (@MonteCristo @Cheeveer) move this to the Identification & Analysis among with the relevant replies?
I feel like there it'll get the attention it deserves. (Plus it'll keep the Open Wheel Crashes thread a bit tidier. Not that I would mind.)
Everso Biggyballies
Legendary Member
Legendary Member
Location: Just moved 3 klms further away so now 11 klms from Albert Park, Melbourne.

hollie3sa wrote: 2 years ago

Could one of the mods (@MonteCristo @Cheeveer) move this to the Identification & Analysis among with the relevant replies?
I feel like there it'll get the attention it deserves. (Plus it'll keep the Open Wheel Crashes thread a bit tidier. Not that I would mind.)
I thought @theracer120 had already identified it as Bobby Unser, as per the video he posted confirming. :dunno: Or am I thinking of something else? Other stuff to ID maybe?

hollie3sa

Post by hollie3sa »

Everso Biggyballies wrote: 2 years ago
hollie3sa wrote: 2 years ago

I thought @theracer120 had already identified it as Bobby Unser, as per the video he posted confirming. :dunno: Or am I thinking of something else? Other stuff to ID maybe?
The clip shown from 0:19 - 0:20 (which is replayed in slow-mo from 0:25 - 0:27) clearly shows another accident (see e. g. the impact angle of both cars; Unser's accident also happened in the middle of a corner (see screenshot below); Unser drove the #44 car in that race while the Formula car going off has #65 (or #85?))

I think that's the one @Smuto wanted us to identify.

There's the problem that Svensson's race number is not listed in the only 1967 F3 race at Jarama
EB
Advanced Member
Advanced Member

Post by EB »

Unser drove #7 in his crash - I repeat, it's from 1966.
Everso Biggyballies
Legendary Member
Legendary Member

@hollie3sa
I can give you the chassis number of Svenson's car (BT21-#31, built April 1967) , but not the race number. :haha:
I can also tell you he crashed that car on lap 2 at Jarama in 1967.

Pos Driver Entrant Chassis Laps Time/Retire
DNF Ulf Svensson Private entry Brabham BT21 - Ford 2 Accident
http://www.racingyears.com/race.php?GP= ... 3%20Jarama

I notice Ian Ashley is also shown as a lap 2 crash DNF on the above link. (Maybe a two car crash?)

What I do find strange is that in the F2 register results Svensson is shown as P13, yet others that crashed much later in the race are shown as finishing lower than Svensson. ie Steve Matchett crashed on lap 15 yet shows in the F2 register results as finishing down in P15. Ultimately I guess, there were a stack of DNFs and their finishing position is technically irrelevant.

Another (irrelevant) thing to point out is that the Spanish GP in 1967 was not a World Championship race but Non Championship in status. It was for a combination of F1 and F2 cars, mostly F2 (I think only 4 of 17 cars entered were F1 cars). Mentioned purely to perhaps help in researching the meeting.

(There was no Championship GP in Spain from 1954 at Pedralbes -1968 when it was held at Jarama. It then alternated with Montjuic until 1975).

PTRACER
Forum Administrator
Forum Administrator
Favourite Racing Car: Lotus 49
Favourite Driver: Gilles Villeneuve, James Hunt
Favourite Circuit: Nordschleife
Car(s) Currently Owned: Mitsubishi Lancer Evo X JDM

Post by PTRACER »

Svensson would have been car #22. The video is too grainy to see the car number.
Jesper Hvid wrote: 19 years ago Wreck of Uffe Svensson's Brabham BT21a in a F3 race at Jarama in 1967. He was hit by none other than Ian "Crashley" Ashley, and spent 2 months in hospital due to injuries:

- from this interesting Swedish site: http://www.stahlmotor.se/formel3b.htm
Developer of the 1967v3 Historic Mod for Grand Prix Legends: viewtopic.php?t=17429

King of the Race Track, Destroyer of Tyres, Breaker of Lap Records
Vassago
Favourite Motorsport: Formula 1, IndyCar
Favourite Driver: Senna, Clark, Montoya
Favourite Circuit: Circuit Gilles Villeneuve

Post by Vassago »

There are clearly 17 cars moving from the backshot so it has to be start of the 1967 Spanish Grand Prix which had 17 starters. Car #19 should be Jean-Pierre Beltoise's Matra.

If the #65 car crash is from the F3 race at Jarama '67 then it must have been from one of the heat races rather than the final race alone.
07.04.1968 - Flower of Scotland when will we see your like again?
01.05.1994 - We'll never forget...
Smuto

Post by Smuto »

The Svensson crash happened at a heat race according to this spanish newsreel. There is also some footage of him being transported in a stretcher into a helicopter.

Minute 3:26
https://www.rtve.es/filmoteca/no-do/not-1298/1487020/