Three unknown old NASCAR Lower division flips 2/3 SOLVED (VIDEO)

Post here if you come across a video or image that you would like identifying.
acerogers58
Advanced Member
Advanced Member

Three unknown old NASCAR Lower division flips 2/3 SOLVED (VIDEO)

Post by acerogers58 »

These have been on YouTube for a while now, and no one has been able to ever positively Identify them.

This first one is from the 1958 Modified Daytona Beach race, Initially thought to be Chester Jones, but footage of his crash was found, No number is visible, but it appears to be a 1937 Ford.
http://www.ultimateracinghistory.com/ra ... aceid=3636

These next two is from the same race, 1967 Permatex 100 at Riverside.

First one, car #57 rolls, looks like some sort of Auto Wreckers sponsorship. (SOLVED, Dick Guest)

Second one, car #2 rolls, no sponsor visible. (SOLVED, Chuck Robbins)

http://www.ultimateracinghistory.com/ra ... ceid=18785
Last edited by acerogers58 4 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
theracer120
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post by theracer120 »

I think the Riverside ones are never going to be identified without more detailed results or info unfortunately (or through photos). The cars in the wrecks are both 50s cars which is what most of the cars in the race were. I think they might both be 57 Fords but that doesn't narrow it down enough to be helpful.
acerogers58
Advanced Member
Advanced Member

Post by acerogers58 »

I've just had a thought, Is it possible the #57 clip was from qualifying and added to the race highlights? Compared to the rest of the clips, it seems like the light and shadows indicates it is late in the day while the sun is setting. The race started at 11am, and comparing race results to the order of the clips they aren't in order. The first incident shown is Reynolds blowing his engine, which happened on lap 23, then an unknown car getting on it's side. Then it shows the #57 flip, and then Jerry Titus having a valve issue, which happened on lap 6.

Dick Guest reportedly flipped his 1957 Ford in qualifying, in turn 4.

Microsprinter18
Advanced Member
Advanced Member

Post by Microsprinter18 »

acerogers58 wrote: 4 years ago I've just had a thought, Is it possible the #57 clip was from qualifying and added to the race highlights? Compared to the rest of the clips, it seems like the light and shadows indicates it is late in the day while the sun is setting. The race started at 11am, and comparing race results to the order of the clips they aren't in order. The first incident shown is Reynolds blowing his engine, which happened on lap 23, then an unknown car getting on it's side. Then it shows the #57 flip, and then Jerry Titus having a valve issue, which happened on lap 6.

Dick Guest reportedly flipped his 1957 Ford in qualifying, in turn 4.
:jaw: You might have struck gold!

Edit: and I have too!!! At about 0:08 in the highlight reel, where it shows Eddie Gray climbing into his car, you can see the #2 car right in front of him. I sorted the lineup from ultimate racing history, and Eddie Gray and Jim Roessler do not have a starting position, and positions 33 and 35 are open. If Gray started 33rd, The #2 would be 31st starter Chuck Robbins (1958 Ford), if Eddie Gray started 35th, then Jim Roessler (1956 Chevrolet) would be 33rd, and that rear end is not from a '56 Chevy. Mystery SOLVED!!!
The most merciful thing in the world, I think, is the inability of the human mind to correlate all its contents.
theracer120
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post by theracer120 »

Microsprinter18 wrote: 4 years ago
Edit: and I have too!!! At about 0:08 in the highlight reel, where it shows Eddie Gray climbing into his car, you can see the #2 car right in front of him. I sorted the lineup from ultimate racing history, and Eddie Gray and Jim Roessler do not have a starting position, and positions 33 and 35 are open. If Gray started 33rd, The #2 would be 31st starter Chuck Robbins (1958 Ford), if Eddie Gray started 35th, then Jim Roessler (1956 Chevrolet) would be 33rd, and that rear end is not from a '56 Chevy. Mystery SOLVED!!!
I had forgotten about the #2 being shown closer up in the highlights film. It has to be Robbins anyway because that is clearly the rear end of a 58 Ford, the 57 and 59 Fords both had different circular taillight designs and the only other 58 Ford was Frank Deiny's car which finished 2nd in the race.
58 Ford:

57 Ford:

59 Ford:
PTRACER
Forum Administrator
Forum Administrator
Favourite Motorsport: Formula 1
Favourite Racing Car: Lotus 49
Favourite Driver: Gilles Villeneuve, James Hunt
Favourite Circuit: Nordschleife
Car(s) Currently Owned: Mitsubishi Lancer Evo X JDM

Post by PTRACER »

Damn, you guys are good!

So only the Daytona crash to solve?
Developer of the 1967v3 Historic Mod for Grand Prix Legends: viewtopic.php?t=17429

King of the Race Track, Destroyer of Tyres, Breaker of Lap Records
Microsprinter18
Advanced Member
Advanced Member

PTRACER wrote: 4 years ago Damn, you guys are good!

So only the Daytona crash to solve?
Yep yep...but this one we'll have to delve into a little deeper.
The most merciful thing in the world, I think, is the inability of the human mind to correlate all its contents.
The Ost
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by The Ost »

Nice one solving those Sportsman clips, they've bugged us for years.
"When money talk, few are deaf" - Charlie Chan
Microsprinter18
Advanced Member
Advanced Member

The Ost wrote: 4 years ago Nice one solving those Sportsman clips, they've bugged us for years.
Thank you! I think we're all making a great team here :mrgreen: