The NASCAR Flip List Project

Post here if you come across a video or image that you would like identifying.
Microsprinter18
Advanced Member
Advanced Member

Post by Microsprinter18 »

Bottom post of the previous page:

Oooh, is this another one? Found this on the stock car crashes thread:
"Danny Letner blew a right front tire (note worn left front tire) while leading at Bay Meadows in 1954, he was thrown from the car and landed on the track, note board through windshield."

Now it is confirmed via newspapers that John Soares flipped during this race, but nothing on this accident. I figured then that it was just a West series race but as it turns out this race was a combo between the West and Grand National divisions.
https://www.racing-reference.info/race/1954-29/W
The most merciful thing in the world, I think, is the inability of the human mind to correlate all its contents.
acerogers58
Advanced Member
Advanced Member

Post by acerogers58 »

Hmm I don't know where this is from, they normally don't put contingencies on for testing cars, but that's some pretty heavy roof damage on an RCR Nationwide series car, looks like the old style body so 2008-2010?? Can't find an instance of an RCR #21 having a car on top of it from that time, could of been hit by debris I suppose?

Microsprinter18
Advanced Member
Advanced Member

acerogers58 wrote: 3 years ago Hmm I don't know where this is from, they normally don't put contingencies on for testing cars, but that's some pretty heavy roof damage on an RCR Nationwide series car, looks like the old style body so 2008-2010?? Can't find an instance of an RCR #21 having a car on top of it from that time, could of been hit by debris I suppose?
Just our luck the roof is bowed where the name is. Bobby Labonte wrecked a plain black #21 at the first Vegas race in 2008 and Stephen Leicht was involved in the Kevin Lepage blunder at Talladega in 2008 also with a plain black #21 but it doesn't seem like the damage is adding up on either.
The most merciful thing in the world, I think, is the inability of the human mind to correlate all its contents.
acerogers58
Advanced Member
Advanced Member

Post by acerogers58 »

Microsprinter18 wrote: 3 years ago Just our luck the roof is bowed where the name is. Bobby Labonte wrecked a plain black #21 at the first Vegas race in 2008 and Stephen Leicht was involved in the Kevin Lepage blunder at Talladega in 2008 also with a plain black #21 but it doesn't seem like the damage is adding up on either.
Photo of Labonte accident at vegas, damage kinda looks similar but there's definitely nothing wrong with the roof, could of happened while the car was being junked I guess. Looking at the Leicht one it appears he just hit the wall with the right side of the car.
Microsprinter18
Advanced Member
Advanced Member

acerogers58 wrote: 3 years ago Photo of Labonte accident at vegas, damage kinda looks similar but there's definitely nothing wrong with the roof, could of happened while the car was being junked I guess.
That's it!! The scuffs on the paint especially on and around the number are so much alike, there's no way they are two different cars.
Microsprinter18
Advanced Member
Advanced Member

Here's a rather interesting tidbit I've noticed, every flip in the truck series has happened to a truck wearing a different number:
4 Christopher Bell
00 Ryan McGlynn
02 Kelly Sutton
14 Rick Crawford
15 Geoffrey Bodine
16 Ron Hornaday
17 Taylor Gray
29 Bob Keselowski
30 Chad Chaffin
32 Miguel Paludo
33 Ron Hornaday (again)
34 Ray Daniels
45 Ty Majeski
58 Wayne Jacks
62 Jessica Friesen
88 Matt Crafton
99 Timothy Peters
(UPDATED 2/17/24 to include Jessica Friesen and Taylor Gray)
Last edited by Microsprinter18 1 month ago, edited 4 times in total.
Microsprinter18
Advanced Member
Advanced Member

Making some changes to the track names on the list where there were duplicate track names on racing reference (there were like four separate tracks designated as "Charlotte" on the list)...
Microsprinter18
Advanced Member
Advanced Member

Looks like we're gonna have us a NEW CUP FLIP!
(yes @acerogers58 we FINALLY have some new content and not me posting random stats to keep this thread alive this time :haha:)

So there was a massive pileup on the first lap of the 1967 Pickens 200, where a bad track watering job caused Doug Cooper, Jim Paschal, and John Sears to flip out on the first corner of the first lap.
Well...according to comments on the photo, it looks like that pileup might have been a quadruple rollover.
theracer120
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post by theracer120 »

I found this Spartanburg newspaper clipping which talks about the wreck. Doesn't mention Doug Cooper or Wendell flipping but it does state that Bill Seifert was involved. I do wonder if Doug Cooper did actually flip given he finished 5th (his equal best of the season) and it was the only time he finished within 10 laps of the winner all year.
Microsprinter18
Advanced Member
Advanced Member

theracer120 wrote: 3 years ago I do wonder if Doug Cooper did actually flip given he finished 5th (his equal best of the season) and it was the only time he finished within 10 laps of the winner all year.
Maybe so, sadly we may never know what exactly happened in turn 1 at Greenville Pickens that day. Maybe the roof damage gave Doug a little aerodynamic advantage? :rofl:
acerogers58
Advanced Member
Advanced Member

Post by acerogers58 »

Saw this in comments of a youtube video on my channel today, through 0:15-0:19 in this video is Austin Cameron's west series flip at Irwindale in 2006, which is possibly questionable looking at this. Doesn't go on the main flip list but thought I'd post anyway.

Microsprinter18
Advanced Member
Advanced Member

acerogers58 wrote: 3 years ago Saw this in comments of a youtube video on my channel today, through 0:15-0:19 in this video is Austin Cameron's west series flip at Irwindale in 2006, which is possibly questionable looking at this. Doesn't go on the main flip list but thought I'd post anyway.
I stumbled upon your channel earlier today and saw this little piece of footage in the comments too! Pretty neat to see new stuff no matter what series.
The Ost
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by The Ost »

Marvin Panch's daughter just posted up an amazing scrapbook of newspaper articles of her Dad's racing days. Some wreck photos in there and might be worth going through it to see if there are any new incidents mentioned:
https://www.facebook.com/MarvinPanchRacing
"When money talk, few are deaf" - Charlie Chan
acerogers58
Advanced Member
Advanced Member

Post by acerogers58 »

The Ost wrote: 3 years ago Marvin Panch's daughter just posted up an amazing scrapbook of newspaper articles of her Dad's racing days. Some wreck photos in there and might be worth going through it to see if there are any new incidents mentioned:
https://www.facebook.com/MarvinPanchRacing
Thanks for sharing, looks like some nice stuff for the CPDB in there too.

Found this, I think it’s from the film Stroker Ace though @Microsprinter18

Microsprinter18
Advanced Member
Advanced Member

The Ost wrote: 3 years ago Marvin Panch's daughter just posted up an amazing scrapbook of newspaper articles of her Dad's racing days. Some wreck photos in there and might be worth going through it to see if there are any new incidents mentioned:
THANK YOU!!! I found something!
This page mentions a flip from Woody Arrington at the 2nd Hillsboro race in 1955.
acerogers58 wrote: 3 years ago Found this, I think it’s from the film Stroker Ace though
Definitely looks like it. I wanted to say it was Bruce Jacobi's wreck there in '78 but comparing the chicken car to the car in the picture I'm sure it's a movie scene.
Microsprinter18
Advanced Member
Advanced Member

More new stuff!

Arley Scranton flipped at the first ever cup race at Riverside in 1958, with a picture: