The NASCAR Flip List Project

Post here if you come across a video or image that you would like identifying.
JG24
Favourite Motorsport: NASCAR
Favourite Racing Car: Porsche 911 GT1
Favourite Circuit: Michigan

Post by JG24 »

Bottom post of the previous page:

Microsprinter18 wrote: 3 years ago Sooo, I own all five issues of the 40 Years of Stock Car Racing books, the NASCAR Chronicle, and Silent Speedways of the Carolinas. Are there any other books out there you guys know about that might give me new information?
NASCAR, The Complete History is a good book to look into. I have one, and will look into any crashes. This is also my first post on here. I hope to give you guys some sort of help.
Microsprinter18
Advanced Member
Advanced Member

Post by Microsprinter18 »

JG24 wrote: 3 years ago NASCAR, The Complete History is a good book to look into. I have one, and will look into any crashes. This is also my first post on here. I hope to give you guys some sort of help.
Welcome to the forums my dude! Yeah, correct me of I'm wrong, but "NASCAR: The Complete History" is known in some circles as "The NASCAR Chronicle". I do have an issue but it ends in 2006.
The most merciful thing in the world, I think, is the inability of the human mind to correlate all its contents.
The Ost
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by The Ost »

Microsprinter18 wrote: 3 years ago Sooo, I own all five issues of the 40 Years of Stock Car Racing books, the NASCAR Chronicle, and Silent Speedways of the Carolinas. Are there any other books out there you guys know about that might give me new information?
Not books but racing magazines and newspapers. I don't know how much they go for on ebay now but they used to have lots of photos.

National Speed Sport News was one, the names of the others escape me.
"When money talk, few are deaf" - Charlie Chan
hollie3sa

Post by hollie3sa »

I'm not very much into NASCAR, thus i can not help you.
But my experience from Facebook is that the right(!) groups (smaller ones, maybe specialized in a certain era) can really help you find some insider tips.
JoeyMJ1
Favourite Motorsport: Nascar
Favourite Driver: Timmy Hill
Favourite Circuit: Bristol
Car(s) Currently Owned: 1996 Impala SS

Post by JoeyMJ1 »

I have some questions about ‘49 regarding Louis Smith. So she flipped at Daytona but I can’t find a picture of her wrecked car or even her non wrecked car?
So if anyone has a pic of her Daytona beach car from 1949 crashed or not crashed, let me know.
Also I’m pretty sure she flipped another time in 1949 at occoneechee speedway.
Picture below:
Any clarification is awesome
Microsprinter18
Advanced Member
Advanced Member

JoeyMJ1 wrote: 3 years ago I have some questions about ‘49 regarding Louis Smith. So she flipped at Daytona but I can’t find a picture of her wrecked car or even her non wrecked car?
So if anyone has a pic of her Daytona beach car from 1949 crashed or not crashed, let me know.
Picture below:
There is apparently a picture of her Daytona Beach flip, and although I haven't seen or found it, there is a funny story regarding it. The story goes is she left the car in Daytona Beach, hitched a ride home, and her husband presented her the front page of the paper (with the wrecked car) right as she walked in the door. The picture you've posted is a NASCAR modified series wreck and not Cup series.
The most merciful thing in the world, I think, is the inability of the human mind to correlate all its contents.
PTRACER
Forum Administrator
Forum Administrator
Favourite Motorsport: Formula 1
Favourite Racing Car: Lotus 49
Favourite Driver: Gilles Villeneuve, James Hunt
Favourite Circuit: Nordschleife
Car(s) Currently Owned: Mitsubishi Lancer Evo X JDM

Post by PTRACER »

Microsprinter18 wrote: 3 years ago
JoeyMJ1 wrote: 3 years ago I have some questions about ‘49 regarding Louis Smith. So she flipped at Daytona but I can’t find a picture of her wrecked car or even her non wrecked car?
Picture below:
There is apparently a picture of her Daytona Beach flip, and although I haven't seen or found it, there is a funny story regarding it. The story goes is she left the car in Daytona Beach, hitched a ride home, and her husband presented her the front page of the paper (with the wrecked car) right as she walked in the door. The picture you've posted is a NASCAR modified series wreck and not Cup series.
According to the newspaper reports I found, she rolled the car and carried on.
Developer of the 1967v3 Historic Mod for Grand Prix Legends: viewtopic.php?t=17429

King of the Race Track, Destroyer of Tyres, Breaker of Lap Records
JoeyMJ1
Favourite Motorsport: Nascar
Favourite Driver: Timmy Hill
Favourite Circuit: Bristol
Car(s) Currently Owned: 1996 Impala SS

Post by JoeyMJ1 »

Any pictures of Michael Waltrip - Sonoma - Qualifying (1989)?
Microsprinter18
Advanced Member
Advanced Member

JoeyMJ1 wrote: 3 years ago Any pictures of Michael Waltrip - Sonoma - Qualifying (1989)?
Screencap from "Dorf Goes Auto Racing":
acerogers58
Advanced Member
Advanced Member

Post by acerogers58 »

Hmm are we sure he fully rolled?
Microsprinter18
Advanced Member
Advanced Member

acerogers58 wrote: 3 years ago Hmm are we sure he fully rolled?
I will go ahead and take a nice little look at the papers after the Bahrain GP

UPDATE: Yep, all the newspapers I see claim he spilled, flipped, and rolled. They also mentioned Jimmy Means' flip as well.
Microsprinter18
Advanced Member
Advanced Member

Not a full-flip, but @Seibara has uncovered a half-flip in the Xfinity Series. Bobby Cox apparently got together with Greg Compton during a heat race at Martinsville in 1985 and put it up on his door.
Microsprinter18
Advanced Member
Advanced Member

New flip alert!!

There was evidently a flip in the 1950 Dayton race in which Joe Merola and Johnny Mantz had their huge accident.

I believe the #69 Ford is Joe Merola, however there is another action shot from seemingly earlier in the race that shows the car still on the track upside down.

The car upside down definitely has a very distinct rear bumper and taillights, and although I've had no luck getting an exact identification on what car it is, I'm inclined to believe it's Johnny Mantz in a 1949 Lincoln and will be on the list as such until something else pops up.

https://www.racing-reference.info/race/1950-11/W
acerogers58
Advanced Member
Advanced Member

Post by acerogers58 »

I'd say you're spot on, While looking for additional info I also found this, although it's not the crash in question I don't think looking at the barriers, car, and the number is also wrong, although the date is listed as August 1950, which is when the race was.
Microsprinter18
Advanced Member
Advanced Member

acerogers58 wrote: 3 years ago I'd say you're spot on, While looking for additional info I also found this, although it's not the crash in question I don't think looking at the barriers, car, and the number is also wrong, although the date is listed as August 1950, which is when the race was.
Actually, the car in that picture is driven by Johnny Yountz, who flipped in the 1951 Southern 500. Maybe a bit of PR trickery by fielding a driver with a name strikingly similar to the driver that won the year before? haha
Microsprinter18
Advanced Member
Advanced Member

Oooh, is this another one? Found this on the stock car crashes thread:
"Danny Letner blew a right front tire (note worn left front tire) while leading at Bay Meadows in 1954, he was thrown from the car and landed on the track, note board through windshield."

Now it is confirmed via newspapers that John Soares flipped during this race, but nothing on this accident. I figured then that it was just a West series race but as it turns out this race was a combo between the West and Grand National divisions.
https://www.racing-reference.info/race/1954-29/W