Graveyard of Unsolved Crash Photos (595/701 Items)

Post here if you come across a video or image that you would like identifying.
Jesper Hvid
Permanent Ban
Permanent Ban

Graveyard of Unsolved Crash Photos (595/701 Items)

Post by Jesper Hvid »

In this topic you'll find (almost) all of our unidentified crash-related photos, from over the years. All the topics in which they were discussed have been moved to the recycle bin. We didn't manage to ID them, and we no longer wish to discuss the topics. The pics are back, though, below here, just in case someone knows exactly what they are. In that and only that case, please PM me, with the full ID and source.

Some of the pics are new, but most have already been posted. You may wish to go through them all, once again. The photos in our current topics in IDing may eventually go to this place, and the ambition is to keep the IDing section under one page's worth of content. I'd personally REALLY APPRECIATE no more batch requests. One pic or video, one topic. OK? It's like a Gordian Knot sometimes, you see.

The following list has some overlaps, but I created the sections before realising quite how many pics there actually were.

If you have any photos for the vacant slots, and you don't wish to try them first in the IDing section (which by all means do), you can send them to me, and they'll go directly on here. I'll make sure the IDing section never reaches the size it used to have, as it's been a total death march, putting this list together... :haha:

---

Table of contents (segments/jump-to links):

Segment number zero-A: USA vintage: [This post, scroll down]
Segment number zero-B: USA vintage and modern 1: viewtopic.php?f=42&t=15449&p=333311&hil ... +B#p333311
Segment number one: South and Central America, including Cuba: viewtopic.php?f=42&t=15449&p=333538&hil ... ba#p333538
Segment number two: UK and Ireland: viewtopic.php?f=42&t=15449&p=333540&hil ... ed#p333540
Segment number three: Australia and New Zealand: viewtopic.php?f=42&t=15449&p=333541&hil ... nd#p333541
Segment number four: Germany and Austria: viewtopic.php?f=42&t=15449&p=333546&hil ... 3A#p333546
Segment number five: Italy: viewtopic.php?f=42&t=15449&p=333556&hil ... 3A#p333556
Segment number six: Holland: viewtopic.php?f=42&t=15449&p=333560&hil ... 3A#p333560
Segment number seven: France and Belgium: viewtopic.php?f=42&t=15449&p=333568&hil ... um#p333568
Segment number eight: Spain and Portugal: viewtopic.php?f=42&t=15449&p=333576&hil ... al#p333576
Segment number nine: Africa: viewtopic.php?f=42&t=15449&p=333611&hil ... 3A#p333611
Segment number ten: Asia: viewtopic.php?f=42&t=15449&p=333612&hil ... 3A#p333612
Segment number eleven: Eastern Europe: viewtopic.php?f=42&t=15449&p=333616&hil ... pe#p333616
Segment number twelve: Scandinavia: viewtopic.php?f=42&t=15449&p=333631&hil ... 3A#p333631
Segment number thirteen: USA and Canada modern: viewtopic.php?f=42&t=15449&p=333867&hil ... rn#p333867
Segment number fourteen: Unknown: viewtopic.php?f=42&t=15449&p=333868&hil ... 3A#p333868
Segment number fifteen: USA vintage and modern 2: viewtopic.php?f=42&t=15449&p=352065&hil ... 3A#p352065
Segment number sixteen: South and Central America, Pt. 2: viewtopic.php?f=42&t=15449&p=362784&hil ... al#p362784
Stats page: viewtopic.php?f=7&t=15449&p=364988#p364988

Vintage is defined as everything pre-1970. Modern is 1970 and on.

----

Segment number zero-A (USA vintage): #1-#100.

List of images (crashes: 15; wrecks: 58; aftermaths: 16; other/fire/unknown: 10; total pics: 130; different situations: 99):

---

#1:

Unknown driver of car #60 at Aurora Speed Bowl, 1930s, click to enlarge:

Hasn't been posted before.

---

#2: Unknown stock car crash sequence (4) dated 14 March 1967, click to enlarge:

---

#3:

19?? Wreck, Overland Park, Denver, Colorado, circa 1910-20, click to enlarge:

Possibly: http://www.motorsportmemorial.org/focus ... =ct&n=4067
On the 20th lap a tire of Willie Felker's Stevens-Duryea 6 broke before the grandstand and the machine crashed into a fence, throwing Felker down an embankment and against a post.
---

#4:

Pre-WWI #5 Wrecked In Fence, Avon, Rochester, USA. Click to enlarge:

---

#5:

c1910 US Fatal #3 Race Wreck, click to enlarge:

This is the $8,000. racer that turned turtle the first day of the races & killed the driver. His machinist [sic] in the car was not with him when the accident happened. They boarded with us. His neck was broken
Jesper Hvid wrote:http://texashistory.unt.edu/ark:/67531/ ... 6783/m1/1/ <--- no, the mech was with him at the time, and also seriously injured.
---

#6: Unknown #2 sprintcar crash sequence (3), dated 11 April 1967, click to enlarge:

---

ImageImageImageImage

Are they all the same?

---

Pre-WW1 US Dirt Track #7 Wreck, click to enlarge:

insert convo

---

#9:

1950s Unknown Wreck, click to enlarge

insert comments.

---

#10:

1950s #1 Stock Car Wreck In Grandstand, Bill ???, click to enlarge:

---

#11: 1953 Soldier Field aftermath stock car race in July. Click to enlarge:

---

#12:

1930s Oakland Midget Wreck, click to enlarge:

Add comments

---

#13:

Pre-WW2 US Dirt Track Accident

A much better version of the #13 pic, where you can see the emblem on the hood of the car, and other details. I think this is Langhorne, and in the 1930s. Judging by the proportions of things in the photo, I'd say this is an indy car, aka big car. Click to enlarge:

---

#14:

---

#15:

---

#16:

---

#17:

Pre-WW2 US Dirt Track wreck (2):

ImageImage

---

#18:

1938 Hammond wreck, not Mendenhall. Not McGurk/Opalko, either (that was Indy). Click to enlarge:

Jesper Hvid wrote: 8 years ago"A. Hannibal, 1938, Indianapolis Motor Speedway". No driver at that name at champcarstats, not does it appear to have been a fatal accident. The IMS is probably wrong, I still think this is more likely to be at Hammond. Doesn't help much, but it's something to go by.
Hannibal was the photographer.

---

#19: 1950s or 1960s New England race track #20 "Sterlino" mod. stock car wreck in the grandstands, click to enlarge:

---

#20:

1936 stock car aftermath at Southern Ascot Speedway, click to enlarge:

Hasn't been posted before.

---

#21:

1947 Bad wreck at El Mirage, click to enlarge:

Possible ID:

Sedre wrote:While MM.org didn't have this page, there was fatal accident at El Mirage in 1947 with Nicholas Schlegel. Maybe it's his fatal accident, but I'm not sure about it. Accident happened on 18 May 1947.
---

#22:

193x(?) (Lloyd?) Vieaux #5 or #6 Wreck possibly the fatal crash at Lakewood: http://www.motorsportmemorial.org/focus ... =ct&n=4801

---

#23:

#8 wreck, US dirt track, old.

---

#24:

1955 #18 D-type Jaguar SCCA wreck at Thompson, was the info. Click to enlarge:

---

#25: 1969, from the movie Pitstop, USA. Stunt or actual race footage used? Counts as "other":

Whole movie:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pit_Stop_(1969_film)

#148 car being hit by other car during racing scene, it is probably a real crash from one of the venues mentioned in the endcredits.

---

#26:

1920s Or Earlier, #4 Wreck, North Platte, Nebraska. Click to enlarge.

---

#27:

Pre WW1 American Dirt Track Race Crash, click to enlarge:

---

#28:

Pre WW1 American Dirt Track Race Wreck, click to enlarge:

---

#29:

Pre WW1 American Dirt Track Race #9 Wreck, click to enlarge:

pauls comments

---

#30:

Fire in car at dirt track. Click to enlarge:

This has not been posted before.

---

#31:

1950s(?) Unknown Fire, US Dirt Track. Not sure it's the driver to the right, in a heap, but I don't reckon it is. Possibly, it's also older than the 50s, I don't have any further info. Actually, it looks more like it's the stuff behind the car that's burning, and not the car itself. Maybe there are two cars. Click to enlarge:

---

#32:

Unknown wreck of car #1.

---

#33:

Aftermath of stock car accident. Click to enlarge:

---

#34: 1 VIR wreck I appear to have neglected to post, and the reason is I probably didn't make the ID. With racingsportscars' archive there is a chance. I'll see if I can do it, else it goes to the Graveyard section.

#43EP MGA?

---

#35:

Unknown wreck with #H-3 in background, looks like Bob Carey's fatal wreck but isn't it. Click to enlarge:

---

#36:

Aftermath of car crashed in outside fence, click to enlarge:

---

#37:

Aftermath of another car crashed in outside fence, click to enlarge:

---

#38:

#3 midget wreck, night race, maybe driver in pic:

---

#39:

Unknown #75 modified stock car into billboards, click to enlarge:

---

#40:

Unknown wreck of what looks like an LSR-car like e.g. the Sunbeam, click to enlarge:

---

#41:

Unknown dirt track crash, click to enlarge:

---

#42:

Unknown midget wreck, AAA-era. Click to enlarge:

+ comments.

---

#43:

Single-seater, with excludes Indy (as does other details). It isn't one of the board tracks. A sideways tumble like that which he's about to take could have been fatal, for all I know. He must have spun rather spectacularly to get into that situation.

Big Car, aka champcar.

---

#44:

Looks like Frank McGurk/Eddie Opalko, but it's not. Click to enlarge:

---

#45:

Says "Pitman Brash 51 6 Cars", no idea. Maybe a 1951 6-car accident, midgets probably, night race, 1940s or 1950s, click to enlarge:

---

#46:

Badly wrecked #54 modified stock car, click to enlarge:

---

#47:

Unknown aftermath of stock car #77 and 1 other car, it had the name "Washington" - either place or person, click to enlarge:

Found on this website: http://autohobbies.com/waroadsters2 That page had crash photos, but is now gone. I must have saved the good ones.

---

#48:

Unknown rolling stock car, click to enlarge:

---

#49:

#12 wreck from Yakima, Washington:

---

#50:

A sample from the website thevintageracer.com which may not exist anymore, the links are dead. One photo was preserved, #69 coupé crash:

http://www.thevintageracer.com/vintage_coupes_1.htm
http://www.thevintageracer.com/more_vin ... upes_1.htm
http://www.thevintageracer.com/smvc_001.htm

---

#51:

Pennsylvania (Allentown, probably?), driver/year unknown, it's an openwheeler, may have been a bad one. Borderline between aftermath situation and wreck, it counts as aftermath:

Came across it again, and found this:

" [...] The following is a photo diary of Harley Marsh's sprintcar racing in the Eastern States Racing Associations 1946 thru 1948 racing season. [...] "

This puts the crash in the immediate post war period of 1946-8, which rules out the fatal sprintcar crash of "Bronco Bill" Schindler, who died there in 1952. According to www.motorsportmemorial.org, there was only ever one more fatality there (Johnny Thompson, also in a sprintcar, in 1960), so we can safely assume that this was a non-fatal accident, even though it does look pretty bad...
---

#52:

Unknown possibly #76 wreck at Yakima, WA.:

---

#53:

Unknown wreck amongst the infield weeds at Washington Speedbowl, PA.:

---

#54:

From the Chet Wilson photo gallery, wreck of #W25 streched midget after a crash, probably during the 60s:

Check out the (non-crash related) slides: http://www.chet-wilson.com/pages/CRASHS~1.html <--- website is gone.

---

#55:

Charming American vintage #4 wreck pic, click to enlarge:

---

#56: #28 stock car flip, Kenny?-something. American track, night race, I'd say the 1950s. Other driver #531 Duke Southern. Great action shot. Click to enlarge:

---

#57:

Aftermath of overturned midget race, night race or inside closed stadium, click to enlarge:

---

#58:

Wreck scene of dirt car accident, 6 small pics, one of them shows the number 2 on the car, click to enlarge:

---

#59: #100 stock car fire/aftermath, in 1950 at Islip Speedway, counts as aftermath, click to enlarge:

---

#60:

1932 aftermath, at Culver City. Click to enlarge:

---

#61:

Mirrored image of #55 and #1?, unknown, click to enlarge:

---

#62:

#3½ Ford Jazz wreck. Click to enlarge:

---

#63:

Pre-WW2 US Openwheeler #9 Wreck, Probably dirt track, there is a broken board to the right, where the car went off. No apparent damage to the car other than a bent wotsit, I reckon he escaped uninjured. Midget?

Looking closer at it, it looks like a #19. NOTE.

---

#64:

Early American Wreck Pic Car #5 Possibly Fatal. Click to enlarge:

---

#65: Old Indy wreck, 1920s?, no larger version was available.

---

#66:

1958 Healey wreck at Thompson, probably SCCA, Massachusetts license plate? Click to enlarge:

---

#67:

#233 Healey in some sort of situation, perhaps at Sebring. Image appeared in Road And Track 2003 November issue, click to enlarge:

---

#68:

1920-30s(?) Overturned Car, Kansas(?) Race Track. Click to enlarge.

From here: http://kansasracinghistory.com/identify.htm

---

#69:

Pic taken by photographer Russ Reed, seems a bit staged, but he was a bona fide race photographer:

---

#70:

Aftermath of 1940s USA #59 Dirt Track crash, calif. Sprint or Midget Car.

---

#71:

1965 #1 Corvette Aftermath, Texas. Click to enlarge (2). Title info found with pics, except car # which I think I can make out on the door of the second pic. Not "shelby stripes", but one blue one, on silver livery background, and driver wears a silver helmet:

ImageImage
Manfred Cubenoggin wrote: 6 years agoThe 'vette looks like a Grand Sport model or possibly, a look-alike knockoff. Note the extra scoops and fender flares. As for an ID, not a clue. In the 2nd pix, I do note the young lad with a Cobra T-shirt at the fence line. I had one of those back in the day! :)
---

#72:

Dragster aftermath from IDing topic, no info at all, click to enlarge:

---

#73:

1939? Indy 500 Car #12 or #42 Incident/Retirement? 2 pics, category: other. Click to enlarge:

ImageImage

Apparently not a crash, and probably not race. The year would have come with the pics, I cannot remember where I found them. Didn't post them, as I don't believe they show the aftermath of a crash. Seems a shame not to at least try to work out what they show, as they are kind of cool pics. #12 or #42 never ran that year:

http://www.champcarstats.com/races/193901.htm

---

#74:

1920s Red Crown Gasoline Spl. Wreck USA Track, 2 angles, click to enlarge:

ImageImage

---

#75:

#57 infield wreck, click to enlarge:

The first one I feel certain is from California, maybe Banning - will look into my records whether I can find a match when at home. The same goes for the next three, all from Ascot if I'm not mistaken; maybe the 6th one as well. The last one shows a Mercer, not a "Merger" :D Let's see what I can find.
---

#76:

1940s #46 StockCar Wreck Plank Thru Windscreen Driver's Side At least one driver was killed in this manner, but I can't recall who/when/where, but this may be it. YES read

paul's comments

---

#77: 1930s Langhorne stunt 1, listed as other:

---

#78: 1930s Langhorne stunt 2, listed as other:

---

#79: 1930s Langhorne stunt 3, listed as other:

---

#80:

#4 "MERCER" wreck. Click to enlarge:

---

#81:

1920s "Bo" Amos' Wreck, Syracuse? Click to enlarge:

Jesper Hvid wrote: 6 years agoAll info in topic title uncertain. Pic found here: http://www.mtfca.com/discus/messages/25 ... 1331402874
The only crash I have for Bo in my records, as it is, was September 1921 at Syracuse. However, there's nothing in this photo that makes me confident that it is this one. In fact, I rather don't think it is!
---

#82:

1966 September, #14Z or #142 Corvette Stingray wreck, click to enlarge:

---

#83:

1953 or 1954 #2 Jaguar wreck at Thompson, probably club race, 2 pics, click to enlarge:

ImageImage

---

#84:

Incident at 1940s midget race involving Frank "Satan" Brewer, listed as "other", click to enlarge:

---

#85:

1936 (said so where found) #25 US Midget Crash:

---

#86:

Wrecked #51 MG at Califonian track, CSCC-race, click to enlarge, maybe later than 1969:

---

#87:

Wrecked, Probably Burnt Sports Car, circa 1940s, Probably US, doubtful if it is a race crash, though.

---

#88:

1960s (no earlier) #F2(?) US Stock Car Crash, West Palm Beach, click to enlarge:

+ comments

---

#89:

1950s(?) #22 Mod. Stock Car, Impaled Radiator, Nazareth, Pa. Click to enlarge:

---

#90:

1946? #33? Bill Holland? at Flemington?. Click to enlarge:

Could have been a serious accident. Can't see enough of the car to determine whether it's a sprintcar or a "big car". There's a double-digit car number which looks like 33. The rest of the information where found is in the topic title, but I can't verify any of it, really.

http://www.champcarstats.com/year/1946.htm

---

#91:

1947 #1 midget crash possibly at the big Soldier Field stadium, click to enlarge:

+comments

---

#92: Aftermath of URC sprintcar accident in 1960 at Rutland, car has spun or rolled, perhaps it didn't cause retirement, pic was used to illustrate something else. Click to enlarge:

Sep 10, 1960, and a URC race - the only Sprint car race in Rutland bet

---

#93: #8 wreck, Toledo, Ohio, in the 1910s. Amazing pic. Click to enlarge.

---

#94:

1926 #5 Openwheeler Aftermath Minnesota Dirt Track, not the fair, click to enlarge:

+comments.

---

#95: Vacant.

---

#96:

Looks a little bit like Ray Keech.1920s #5 U.S. Dirt/Board Track Wreck Driver's Initials "LL"? Staged? Actor? It counts as a wreck. Click to enlarge:

+ comments.

---

#97:

1968 Riverside Sportscar Wreck, Cobra? Aftermath. Year, venue and brand info was found along with the item on eBay.

---

#98: 1969, from the movie Pitstop, USA. Stunt or actual race footage used? Counts as "other":

Whole movie:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pit_Stop_(1969_film)

Crash of the #666 and #700/#790 stock cars during night racing scene, probably a real racing accident from one of the venues mentioned in the endcredits.

---

#99:

Pre-WW2 USA #57 Openwheeler Wreck - Possibly Fatal. Click to enlarge:

This was secured from eBay by Warren, for which thanks a lot. Item (which contained two other wreck pics, will post tomorrow) was sold under the heading: 1930s Indy 500 crashes. This cannot be the case in this instance, it happened on a dirt track, so it would have to be 1909 to be Indy, and then not the 500 which wasn't run until 1911. It also excludes the road races of the era. I have a feeling the driver didn't survive this.

add comments fix pic.

---

#100:

1930s/1940s Atlantic Speedway Midget Wreck In Grandstands. Click to enlarge. 3 pics. It's either Gilmore Stadium or Atlantic Speedway, no idea which. Should be Gilmore re: comments.

ImageImageImage

Click to enlarge. It's either Gilmore Stadium or Atlantic Speedway, no idea which.

Add comments. Remember other small pic.

---
Jesper Hvid
Permanent Ban
Permanent Ban

Post by Jesper Hvid »

Segment number zero-B (USA vintage and modern): #101-#200.

---

List of images (crashes: 30; wrecks: 33; aftermaths: 34; other/fire/unknown: 2; total pics: 129; different situations: 99):

---

#101: 1968 Mark Donohue, USAC Rex Mays 300, Riverside? #96 is Peter Revson. Click to enlarge:

ImageImage

Reason out: broken RF suspension: http://www.champcarstats.com/races/196828.htm

---

#102: #17 Lotus at Lime Rock, SCCA. Wreck (4).

ImageImageImageImage

---

#103:#xx Healey in pond at Lime Rock, SCCA, aftermath (8).

ImageImageImageImage
ImageImageImageImage

---

#104: Candlestick Park, 1963 SCCA, flipped sportscar:

---

#105: Candlestick Park, 1964 SCCA, wrecked #219c Alfa (2), click to enlarge:

ImageImage

---

#106: Candlestick Park, 1965 SCCA crash and aftermath (2 +1) of #82 sportscar, click to enlarge:

---

#107: c1930 #9 Wreck, Overturned, Board Track, Woodbridge
Race car crash at the Autodrom of Woodbridge/New Jersey. About 1930. Photograph. (Photo by Imagno/Getty Images)
Click to enlarge:

http://www.gettyimages.co.uk/license/167437267

I can't seem to make any progress with this. The reason I haven't asked this question yet is, I thought it was Jastrow's fatal crash, but that was based on memory of how the crash looked, and I apparently thought it was something that we already had. viewtopic.php?f=26&t=86&p=181562&hilit=Jastrow#p181562 Very similar, I thought the gettyimage was that, and ignored it. But, perhaps EB, Ferner or someone else can help, please have a look.

---

#108: Playland Park, 1950s. 2 wrecks, one in the stands:

---

#109: Vacant.

---

#110: Indy car crash #20 car, practice, I haven't attempted to solve it, and it may be here, already. Click to enlarge:

---

#111: Pre-WW1 US Wreck (3) #2 or #6, Possibly Fatal, Maryland/Pennsylvania

ImageImageImage

---

#112: 1937 Hammond #1? Wreck, may be the Aschelman as per video, click to enlarge:

Other Hammond wreck, the one in "The Dump", looks like, but not Aschelman.

---

#113: #29 sprintcar crash, I haven't attempted to solve it:

---

#114: #999 badly wrecked, 1950s, click to enlarge:

---

#115: #35 and unknown car, 1950s, click to enlarge:

---

#116:

1968 USAC Rex Mays 300, doesn't match anything I've seen from the race. Looked like Lou Sell's accident, but not it. Click to enlarge:

---

#117:

Unknown #S17 1940s or 1950s stock car halfway into stands, click to enlarge:

---

#118:

1930s Billy "Detore" #5 Wreck, from revs, probably Devore, click to enlarge:

+comments

---

#119: 1968 Mid-Ohio SCCA #72 Healey aftermath, click to enlarge:

---

#120: 1940s #57 wreck, Californian track:

---

#121: Partial image of wrecked midget in stands 1960 unknown but no injuries.

Sedre wrote: 4 years agofrom what I understood accident happened in California and one of drivers was Bob Twitty.
---

#122: Wrecked #32 Linne Offy, night race.

---

#123: 1961 Darlington NASCAR #30 Aftermath, Click to enlarge:

I can't make the match, so I must be wrong or misinformed at source where found:

http://www.racing-reference.info/raceyear/1961/W

But the driver could have made it all the way around on a flat, even tho he's past the pits.

+comments.

---

#124: 1923 #19 "Mertz" September ?? wreck, at ??? Fair, can't read it.

There was Otto and Charlie Merz, it can't be any of them, and there was no Mertz race car. Mysterious.

---

#125: Midgets #27 and #8, Indiana, click to enlarge:

---

#126: 1908 Unknown Wreck, Brighton Beach (USA), click to enlarge

+comments.

---

#127: Al Thiesen #3 wreck, can't be fatal, he was killed in a midget racer, this is a big car, click to enlarge:

---

#128: This isn't Rowlings at Oakland or Thomson at Langhorne. #24 car sliding on roof. 1940s-1950s. Click to enlarge:

Maybe this is the one from revs that I thought was Rowlings. It may actually be from Oakland, too.

---

#129: 1962 Stock car wrecks #30 and #133, click to enlarge:

---

#130: #24 car wrecked in 1909 Atlanta Speedway race, click to enlarge:

https://digitalcollections.detroitpubli ... a%3A177085

Sedre wrote:Maybe Harry Stillman's accident on 9 November.I can't say if it's inner gutter, but at least two wheels are missing from car.
---

#131: Aftermath #35 1909 Atlanta Speedway. click to enlarge:

ImageImageImageImage
ImageImageImageImage

+comments, note there are only 7 different ones, one is a double with writing.

---

#132: Alfa Romeo Giulietta Sprint wreck, 1959, click to enlarge:

---

#133: Unknown #104 stock car wreck and other car, click to enlarge:

---

#134: #38 and #55 midget crash, click to enlarge:

---

#135: Nutley #15 midget racer loses wheel, could have been dangerous, 1938 or 1939, this is in the book about the Nutley Velodrome, so may be ID in there, non-fatal, click to enlarge:

---

#136: 1910s, 2 cars collide at Daytona Beach race, click to enlarge:

---

#137: #88 car at Marlboro, in 1956 SCCA, results are not complete:

---

#138: Livitski and Lindenberg midget crash, probably at Freeport S'way, and late-1940s, it came out of the same photo album which contained the Duffy and Elliott fatals.

---

#139: Dean Smith sprintcar crash in the 1960s at El Centro, click to enlarge:

---

#140: Steve Kenic sprintcar crash in the 1960s at El Centro, click to enlarge:

---

#141: Unknown #75 midget knocks down wooden fence, 1960s, click to enlarge:

---

#142: 1958 Huckabee Speedway Park, or H (name) SP (track), I don't know, click to enlarge:

It's the shittiest race car I have ever seen.

---

#143: #8 car of possibly Len Koenig, matching the day of his death at Langhorne, but cannot be his fatal accident, as this was in a #5 midget:

---

#144: The #?6 "Quaker Shaker", wrecked at Syracuse in 1967, probably a "classics" race for mod. stockers, but there's also a #46 modern one in the background. Click to enlarge. Thought I'd posted this already, must have slipped my mind.

EDIT: Better version:

Crash took place on September 4, 1967. https://www.syracuse.com/vintage/2017/0 ... hotos.html END EDIT.

---

#145: 1950s-1960s #11 stock car wreck after taking down long section of outer barrier at dirt track, click to enlarge:

---

#146: Chuck Jones, #52 stock car at unknown track, 1950s/1960s, click to enlarge:

---

#147: The #95F MG, which situation also made the front page of the 1956 race programme from Pebble Beach, suggesting that it is a 1955-incident:

ImageImageImage

The writing on the bonnet says ARGENTINA. Must be a clue.

---

#148: Greg Weld (#29) and Paul Pitzer (#50), 1970s or 1980s:

Michael Ferner wrote: 4 years ago #148 I would suggest that is Kenny Weld (not Greg) with Paul Pitzer, July 8, 1973 at Penn National Speedway.
---

#149: The #G/23, not necessarily retired after this episode. Pebble Beach in the 1950s, click to enlarge:

---

#150: Pebble Beach: 21c or -e, spinning the same spot (I think) as the above Porsches (in video). Click to enlarge:

---

#151: Wreck of #180 possibly, it's difficult to see. Pebble Beach, 1950s, click to enlarge:

---

#152: 1950 or thereabouts, Indy 500 clean-up (counts as aftermath) (2) after #99 accident, click to enlarge:

ImageImage

---

#153: 1966-1968 Aftermath of Indy crash time trials, click to enlarge:

---

#154: 1968 slide, USAC race, XXX Speedway, difficult one. Aftermath, 2 cars.

---

#155: Porsche not Scarab #72 wreck, click to enlarge:

---

#156: Old #11, Louisville (Kentucky?), racing wreck, click to enlarge:

---

#157: Old Pontia? Special wreck in fence, Pontiac? Click to enlarge:

---

#158: #77 Special aftermath, click to enlarge:

Ironically, this wreck, which doesn't look all that bad very possibly killed the driver, as it rolled 3 times at Sunflower in 1929. This I should be able to work out from that information alone. The driver was "not expected to live", according to a handwritten attached note.

---

#159: #31 aftermath, click to enlarge:

---

#160: Unknown #2x wreck, click to enlarge:

---

#161: Aftermath of two-car wreck, looks very serious, click to enlarge:

---

#162: Overturned wreck, aftermath possibly, click to enlarge:

---

#163: #4 wreck up against fence, click to enlarge:

---

#164: #20 aftermath during race, click to enlarge:

---

#165: Unknown wreck with tow truck, click to enlarge:

---

#166: Wrecked #C-1, could have been serious, click to enlarge:

---

#167: #300 with bodywork bent up into the cockpit, like de Courcelles' car, click to enlarge:

---

#168: Indian Gas wreck, click to enlarge:

---

#169: A curious little racer, #35 "We Do Do It" Spl., wreck (3), click to enlarge:

Michael Ferner wrote:#169 "We do it" is Ira Hall - that was the slogan he used when running for office in 1927. He had at least two accidents that year, July 10 at Watseka/IL and July 24 at Sunflower Park in Brazil/IN.
---

#170: 1940s dirt track wreck, click to enlarge:

---

#171: 1920s Bad-Looking 2-Car Aftermath at US Track. Looks very serious, both drivers definitely got hurt in some way. One car turned turtle. Click to enlarge. Pic found in a lot with another unrelated image, which had the date 1926.

---

#172: 1955 #300-c Chrysler Mercury wreck, click to enlarge:

theracer120 wrote:That's one of the Carl Kiekhafer Mercury Outboards Chryslers that dominated NASCAR in 1955 and 1956 (and maybe raced in USAC/AAA Stock Car events off the top of my head)? Would be hard to figure out where that happened though I suspect.
---

#173: 15-A stock car at Hollywood Speedway, in 1949, click to enlarge:

---

#174: #3 sprintcar crash at Dayton, 1956, click to enlarge:

From this advertisement, click to enlarge:

---

#175: Stock car aftermath dated 12 Aug 1956, possibly Gardena, click to enlarge:

---

#176: Gardena Stadium wreck, February 1956, click to enlarge:

---

#177: #15 stock car wreck, 1940s or 1950s, click to enlarge:

---

#178: Unknown stock car flip, 1940s or 1950s, click to enlarge:

---

#179: #149 Austin Healey at Thompson, either 1954 or 1958, both years mentioned where found, click to enlarge:

ImageImage

---

#180: Wrecked Ladds-Fronty in the 1930s at Readville, click to enlarge:

---

#181: Unknown stock car crash at Suicide Bowl, 1950s, click to enlarge:

---

#182: #55 midget aftermath (2), 1940s or 1950s, click to enlarge:

ImageImage

---

#183: Stock car accident (#1 and #44) at Sunshine Speedway, dated 5 July 1973, click to enlarge:

ImageImage

---

#184: NASCAR? crash of car #12 at Daytona:

theracer120 wrote:I don't know what this is but I think I've seen video of it somewhere. That infield area got paved over and moved back between the two NASCAR Winston Cup events at Daytona in 1984 after a number of serious accidents into that spot so that accident is from mid 1984 at the earliest.[/b]
---

#185: Click to enlarge:

#6 stock car aftermath, night race, 1950s-era, nearly left the short track. You can tell it's in a turn, with another turn in the not very far distance.

---

#186: Unknown driver in accident at Lonsdale, IL, in 1950 or 1951:

---

#187: Jaguar XK120 wreck in 1953? at Thompson, click to enlarge:

---

#188: Richard Petty NASCAR accident (2), click the right one to enlarge:

ImageImage

---

#189: 1965 powerboat aftermath, click to enlarge:

---

#190: Woman driver in the first "running" of ladies race, at Riverside, in September 1957 meeting, click to enlarge:

---

#191: Hollywood Speedway 1966 crash, 1X and ?, click to enlarge:

---

#192: Click to enlarge:

1963 Indy 500 accident clean-up. Not too many to choose from, so this shouldn't be too difficult.

http://www.champcarstats.com/races/196302.htm

---

#193: Unknown #15 stock car crash, same place as #194 and same track as #175, possibly Gardena, click to enlarge:

---

#194: Unknown driver of #0 "Pancake Special" aftermath at Sun Valley Speedway, 1950 or 1951:

---

#195: Unknown Hudson aftermath in race at Mt. Clemens, 1950s, click to enlarge:

---

#196: Kemberling 1964 #3 stock car wreck, Pennsylvanian track?

---

#197: Unknown pre-WW2 wreck at the Hornell Fairgrounds, non-fatal, click to enlarge:

---

#198: Georgian stock car wrecks, #70 and #8, click to enlarge

---

#199: 1969 wreck, driver named Johnson:

---

#200: Unknown #78 stock car wreck, click to enlarge:

---
Jesper Hvid
Permanent Ban
Permanent Ban

Post by Jesper Hvid »

Segment number one (South and Central America, including Cuba): #201-#221.

---

List of images (crashes: 2; wrecks: 12; aftermaths: 3; other/fire/unknown: 4; total pics: 24; different situations: 21):

---

#201:

1962 Hugo Galvanera's Wreck at Rafaela? Click to enlarge.

+ comments

http://www.info-maf1.facundogalella.com ... rrera2.php

That's the big race at Rafaela that year, and he qualified and finished 2nd, so if it's to do with this, it's unlisted.

---

#202: Unknown #6 or #9 wreck in the TC, 1950s era. Click to enlarge:

---

#203: 1954 #19 Aftermath Sportscar GP of Rio de Janeiro (fix spelling), click to enlarge:

This starts here, because it's not going to be solved until better sources of information appear.

http://www.racingsportscars.com/results ... 10412.html

If any of those names match the driver having a drink in the photo, then that would of course be ideal. I don't recognize him, but as he's a bit on the chubby side, perhaps it's Jose Froilan Gonzalez... :haha: Just kidding, but as of right now, we have next to nothing. There was only ever the one recorded sportscar race in Rio, in 1954, so it's down to only that.

Aftermath because driver is in the pic.

---

#204: 1950s(?) Mexican(?) #6 Openwheeler Wreck

+ comments, maybe something to do with Texas, so could be USA.

---

#205:

---

#206: 1970s(?) Mexican Sportscar #489 Aftermath (2):

ImageImage

+comments

---

#207: 1958(?) Cuban GP For Sportscars, Nicoletti's Wreck

I've got incomplete results for the Havana GsP, so cannot say which one it was, I seem to recall there were two.

---

#208: 196? Gerones #16, Zagalo Moreno Saab, and Bianchi, probably Uruguay, click to enlarge:

---

#209: 1950s/1960s Omar Fuentes, Parana (Argentina?), click to enlarge:

---

#210: 2 Cuban openwheeler wrecks #11 and #21, 1951, name: Juan Rodriguez, click to enlarge:

---

#211: Argentinian, maybe, TC perhaps, no info other than country. It's over 10 years old, I'd say. Click to enlarge:

---

#212: The 1952 III. CP wreck, interior angle screenshot from video, the one leftover pic from IDing topic.

---

#213: Unknown #42 wreck, possibly serious:

---

#214: Hugo Torres and Daniel Giordano in Argentinian F4, year and track unknown:

---

#215: #26 unknown almost-accident in the TC, click to enlarge:

Listed as "other", as I don't know what happened.

---

#216: Unknown fire in openwheel race, click to enlarge:

---

#217: Unknown wreck in the 1952 III. Carrera Panamericana, click to enlarge:

---

#218: Unknown aftermath in the 1950 Vuelta de Córdoba, TC, non-fatal, and found in El Gráfico, #1614:

---

#219: 1952 Carrera Panamericana wreck, sponsor: The Hot Rod Shop, in Detroit. So, belonging to one of the US teams. Click to enlarge:

---

#220: Oldsmobile 88, like the one in which Herschel McGriff won in 1950. wrecked in an edition of the CP, I don't know if it says PERU or PERON.

---

#221:

Unknown wreck (3), 1952 III. CP., looks burnt:

ImageImageImage

It's not this:
Jesper Hvid wrote: 16 years ago American Rudolph Ryans in the #83 Lincoln Capri, abandoned on 1st stage after a fire gutted the car:

---
Jesper Hvid
Permanent Ban
Permanent Ban

Post by Jesper Hvid »

Segment number two (United Kingdom - all eras and Ireland): #222-#260.

---

List of images (crashes: 20; wrecks: 9; aftermaths: 9; other/fire/unknown: 1; total pics: 47; different situations: 38):

---

#222: #76 Mini wreck at Oulton Park.

---

#223: 1960s? Mallory Park? #106 Saloon Car Wreck Ford Anglia? Click to enlarge.

+comments, corrections

---

#224: "I would go as far as to say that, in all probability, it is NOT the crash of Duncan, as the caption for the pic would not have been so casually made. And as we seem to agree that it's in fact not even implied in the text that the pic shows Duncan's accident, we should probably call it an unsolved crash photo. I'll move this topic to identification. Here is the cropped pic."

---

#225:
Jesper Hvid wrote: 5 years ago Unknown rallycross? Mini, put in proper vacant slot.

Is that Brands Hatch? Druids corner in the background.

Barum is a Czech, at that time Czechoslovakian, tyre manufacturer. I think it's from the 1980s.

---

#226: 1960s #57 Lotus openwheeler crash (2) Mallory Park, click to enlarge:

comments

---

#227: 1950s British? Openwheeler Aftermath #92 and #89, Click to enlarge:

Possibly a starting incident.

+pauls comment on brand

---

#228: 1950s British #9 Allard Wreck on Beach. Three angles, click to enlarge.

ImageImageImage

Likely Weston-super-Mare

+comments

---

#229: Aftermath with c1960 openwheeler Wreck on Wall at British Track. Click to enlarge:

Photo work of one James Brymer.

---

#230: 1960s Openwheeler Wreck in paddock, Fire Damage

A difficult one. John Taylor's accident can be excluded. Could have been serious, steering wheel deformed, right front susp. broken, and there appears to be some fire damage, click to enlarge. I'd say this is British, possibly German, but I don't recognise the surroundings, the wreck appears to be in the paddock. It's not Chris Irwin in 1967 at Snetterton, either: https://www.britishpathe.com/video/moto ... Snetterton The converse shoe places it in the '60s, but there's not much to go by.

+ comments, maybe not British, but probably so.

---

#231: 1935 Midget Crash Aftermath Crystal Palace? Click to enlarge:

Recently rediscovered by Motorsportrace, here's an old image I believe we haven't been able to ID, and in fact failed to post for this very purpose.

Non-fatal, but injuries may have been serious.

http://www.gettyimages.co.uk/detail/new ... d106889846

---

#232: 1950s #70 Openwheeler Spin, Brands Hatch click to enlarge:

maybe the car (Vanwall?) did not even retire, so not necessarily relevant as a crash photo, but then at least, it can be eliminated.

registered as a spin with poss retirement, same as a crash

+comments.

---

#233:
Jesper Hvid wrote: 4 years ago Image

#110 Mini crashes near marshals post #5, Brands Hatch, Druid's, 1969. Click to enlarge.
---

#234: County Down Trophy Race #22 crash and aftermath

ImageImageImage

select one aftermath vers.

---

#235: Eric Dugard and Graeme Stapleton crash in probably speedway league match between White City and Wimbledon rest is unknown, probably 1970s, pic appeared in Speedway Star, click to enlarge:

Vassago wrote:#235 crash between Dugard (White City) & Stapleton (Wimbledon) happened in 1977.
---

#236: Car #26, which has picked up a large piece of fence. Could be 1955, Dick Cobden, Goodwood. Listed as "other". Click to enlarge:

---

#237: Car #27 on roof on wall at Wigan during rallycross event, circa 2005, click to enlarge:

---

#238: A wrecked E.R.A. (2) from 1934 or 1935, pics appeared in small E.R.A.-booklet, covering those seasons, in national/international racing for the marque.

ImageImage

---

#239: MC road race crash, bike #39 and #40, possibly British:

---

#240: King's Oak speedway crash from 1928, click to enlarge:

---

#241: 1947 Unknown Bugatti Wreck at Prescott, presumably from the hillclimb. Click to enlarge:

---

#242: #89 aftermath, click to enlarge (2):

ImageImage

Almost certainly from support or club races. This was the other one from the topic of the 1962 Brands Hatch Volvo which was solved.

---

#243: The faux Wilkinson accident pic, #71 at "Broakland", probably Brooklands. Click to enlarge:

viewtopic.php?f=26&t=13135

---

#244:
Jesper Hvid wrote: 4 years ago Image

#201 Mini crashed (3) same place as Siffert, Brands Hatch, 1969. Click to enlarge.
---

#245: #108 and #164 Lotus Elan crash, British track, click to enlarge:

---

#246: Brands Hatch #7 saloon car accident:

---

#247: #7 Mini accident at Lydden Hill, spectators nearly hit:

---

#248: From the magazine 25 years of Brands Hatch, click to enlarge. Paddock Bend-accident:

1973 Super Saloon car wrecks, #17 and #9 Dave Simmons? Probably the Ford Escort Mexico series:

---

#249: From the magazine 25 years of Brands Hatch, click to enlarge. Paddock Bend-accident:

Saloon car #104 Ford Anglia?

---

#250: Monte Carlo rally #10 wreck (3), at Ardross, 20 Jan 1929, Scotland, UK.

series of three monochrome photographs ... Dingwall"

http://www.historylinksarchive.org.uk/p ... r13567.asp

---

#251: #25 Mini crash, possibly at Thruxton:

---

#252: Brands Hatch wreck in autocross. The car number is #19. I can see a Renault 5 in the pic, and I'd say this is late 1970s to early 1980s. I've cropped it, click to enlarge:

---

#253: Unknown MC accident from a slide show of stuff to do with earlier versions of the 2014 Northern 200, I think the bike's a #99, and it says "Scotland" on his leg.

---

#254: Aftermath of #59 De Dion-Bouton, wrecked in Irish race in c1903, possibly an incident from the Gordon Bennett Cup. Click to enlarge:

---

#255: Aftermath #7? F3 British track 1968 or before. Click to enlarge:

---

#256: Crash #120 and #1?? F3 British track 1968 or before. Click to enlarge:

---

#257: Formula Ford #6, 1987 or earlier, appeared in 1987-programme. Click to enlarge:

---

#258: #14 Morgan 3-wheeler accident at British track, click to enlarge:

---

#259: 1964 Mini roll at Brands Hatch, click to enlarge:

---

#260: Prescott Hillclimb wreck from the 1950s, #2 maybe:

---

Extras (3), not counted:

Mallory Park FF, click to enlarge:

British hillclimb crash, #27?, click to enlarge:

British FF crash, #16, click to enlarge:

Jesper Hvid
Permanent Ban
Permanent Ban

Post by Jesper Hvid »

Segment number three (Australia and New Zealand): #261-#275.

---

List of images (crashes: 2; wrecks: 0; aftermaths: 0; other/fire/unknown: 1; total pics: 3; different situations: 3):

---

#261: 1964 #38 Holden FX Oran Park

+comments +other version of pic?

---

#262: #71 openwheeler crash at Manfeild.
The Ost wrote: 6 years ago #12 is also from New Zealand, could be Pukekohe. Trying to recall the location of the Sherwood Motor Inn...

EDIT: Actually, I think it was in Palmerston North, which would make the track Manfeild.
#12Image

---

#263: H. Lewis in hospital after racing accident in the 1930s, NSW, registered as "other", click to enlarge:

---

#264-#275: Vacant.

---
Jesper Hvid
Permanent Ban
Permanent Ban

Post by Jesper Hvid »

Segment number four (Germany and Austria - all eras): #276-#300.

---

List of images (crashes: 3; wrecks: 10; aftermaths: 8; other/fire/unknown: 2; total pics: 27; different situations: 23):

---

#276: 1925 Hans Stuck Mercedes aftermath German Hillclimb? Click to enlarge:

listed as aftermath, driver in pic.

---

#277: 1967 AVUS DMV Race MC Crash Aftermath Photo dated June 25 of that year. Click to enlarge.

http://www.dhm.de/datenbank/dhm.php?sei ... 0=BA114829

Rider could have been seriously injured in this accident. We only need his name. I have the AVUS history book, but I believe the results section only listed winners. The incident could be mentioned, tho, so I will check and see. crop it

---

#278: Unknown #77 Jaguar with German license plates:

---

#279: 1955 #25 Porsche 356 aftermath, Nürburgring. We can't solve this using neither racingsportscars nor pro-steilstrecke, so I'll just put it in sportscar crash photos, as it is not a significant crash, and it didn't take place during a "big" race, there. Click to enlarge:

---

#280: Hans Stuck #16 Mercedes wreck (2), click to enlarge:

ImageImage

---

#281: Damaged #234 Porsche during rallye.

---

#282: Unknown saloon car aftermath, a still from a movie? No info, click to enlarge:

Listed as "other".

---

#283: Hockenheim sportscar crash, 1950s, bottom right pic, click to enlarge:

---

#284:
Jesper Hvid wrote: 5 years ago Mid-'60s era sportscar wreck at the Nürburgring, which I can't do much about at the moment, click to enlarge:

---

#285: An old German one, Weimariana, click to enlarge:

Says where found: wrecked car during the 2. Baden-Badener Automobil-Turnier 1923.

https://mercedes-benz-publicarchive.com ... NQ!!&rs=41

That appears to be the last one from that archive. There really ought to be much more, but that's all that's currently available.

---

#286: Unknown and serious-looking aftermath at unknown track. German, possibly.

The full scrapbook page where found had the fatal accident at the Reichselsdorfer Keller, and Flockhart's British GP crash, both from 1954, so it could be 1954, also. Click to enlarge:

---

#287: Aftermath of very battered #41 Porsche 911, maybe at the Nürburgring, if so, non-fatal (no match), click to enlarge:

---

#288: #70 Porsche 356 with accident damage, 1950s, German, click to enlarge:

Other car says "Renndienst".

---

#289: German #69 wreck, 1930s, hillclimb?, click to enlarge:

---

#290: "Fritz Gollin", is all this said. #30 and #5x? cars, wrecked on street circuit, or maybe hillclimb, Gollin was a German race driver in the 1930s: http://www.kolumbus.fi/leif.snellman/dg.htm Counts as one wreck.

---

#291: Paul: "The third one is from a 1970s Airfield track called Kassel-Calden: https://garagentalk.de/2018/08/03/2-kas ... 26-august/ "

---

#292: 1981 Österrreich Ring MC aftermath:

Looks serious.

---

#293: 1981 Österrreich Ring MC aftermath:

Looks like a technical defect. Definitely not the same situation as #292.

---

#294:
hollie3sa wrote:1967, Marathon de la Route, BMW 2002, Touring Cars

That's the Aremberg corner right before the Fuchsröhre.

http://touringcarracing.net/Races/1967% ... 84hrs.html
---

#295:
hollie3sa wrote:1971, Tulln, Austria, Formula 2:

http://www.the-fastlane.co.uk/formula2/F271_21.htm
---

#296: 6 pics of a motocross accident. Click to enlarge:

Description: Mishap during the Six Days Trophy
Year: 1976
Driver(s): Unknown #91.
Category: Motorcycles
Series: Unknown.
Vehicle: Unknown.
Circuit: Zeltweg
Event: International Six Days Trophy
Fatal: No
Photo Credit: unknown

---

#297: #19 Formula V crash at the Nürburgring, during the 1966 Hansapokal, click to enlarge:

---

#298:

#23 Porsche 356 wreck in the Bäder?-Rallye, sometime in the 1950s is my guess, click to enlarge:

---

#299: Porsche with front damage, #52. Mille Miglia ruled out. Maybe German.

---

#300: #206 Alfa Romeo 8C 2300 or 2600 Monza aftermath, probably a 1920s-30s German hillclimb, click to enlarge:

---
Jesper Hvid
Permanent Ban
Permanent Ban

Post by Jesper Hvid »

Segment number five (Italy - any era): #301-#331.

---

List of images (crashes: 11; wrecks: 8; aftermaths: 11; other/fire/unknown: 2; total pics: 42; different situations: 30):

---

#301: 1970 Monza, Alfa Romeo Giulia Sprint GT Crash, click to enlarge:

Dated April 5. Possibly from one of the following races: http://wsrp.ic.cz/nonchamp1970.html#15

+add comments

---

#302: Cortese's sportscar crash (4), unclear when or where, 4th pic enlargeable:

ImageImage

---

#303: 1950s Ferrari Wreck Click to enlarge.

Note that the steering wheel is to the right. There is a hint of a car number at bottom left, and perhaps also on the piece of bodywork to the right, and I think this is probably a race car. Sportscar.

At first I thought it was Farina's wreck in the 1954 Mille Miglia, but I've checked now, and it ain't. Compare:

http://www.the-fastlane.co.uk/images/Benhuset/Gemtilnyhd/farinaMM1954b.jpg

It's not de Portago's or Ernie McAfee's wreck, either. I've checked that, because there were pics from those accidents for sale at Ladenburg at the same time, also.

Very little to go by, I realize, but it may turn out to be significant, hence added.

---

#304: 1950s #192 Porsche 356 Road Race Aftermath and Wreck, click to enlarge:

ImageImage

Click to enlarge (2). High race number could mean one of the classics, and if it's Italian, there are several to choose from. I don't know enough about license plates and uniforms to say where we are, but I'd say Southern or Central Europe, not that it narrows it down much. There was a Porsche 356 involved in a fatal accident during one of the Mille Miglias in this approx. period, but I checked, and car number mismatches, so it's not that. I also looked for this in racingsportscars, but maybe it's a hillclimb event or a rally, passing through a town.

counts as 1 crash 1 aftermath 1 situation.

Similar surroundings as for instance Stirling Moss/Jenks in this pic from 1955 MM:

---

#305: 1932 Targa Florio Alfa-Romeo Wreck, Turn Near Bridge

+comments.

---

#306: Virginio Campana's aftermath in 1950s motorcycle race at Imola. Rider number 535 or perhaps 595, click to enlarge:

---

#307: 1950s #74 Car, Possibly Targa Florio Or Other Sicilian Race?, click to enlarge:

+comments

---

#308: 2005 Mille Miglia Merc SL Gullwing aftermath:

Numbers 2 and 3 are part of the car no. Looks like "23" on the hood and "32" on the roof of the car, rest is obscured. Maybe this was car no. 323.

---

#309: A 1996-2002 #216 Ferrari aftermath from a Mille Miglia race between 1996 and 2002. Click image for a larger, if somewhat fuzzy version:

---

#310: Count Lurani's wreck at Prato all'Isarco (north-eastern part of Italy) in the 1920s or 1930s, click to enlarge:

Found in the book Racing Around the World.

---

#311: Vacant.

---

#312: Monza F3 1970:

ImageImage

---

#313: Monza F3 1970:

---

#314: Monza F3 1970:

ImageImage

---

#315: Alfa #917 aftermath, in the 1952 Coppa Della Perugina, click to enlarge:

Note: someone was filming it.

---

#316: 1950s Sfide unID'd screenshot 1 from Italian MC racing documentary, bike wreck #37

#316-#317 may be the same, or connected in some way. If so, subtract from list totals.

---

#317: 1950s Sfide unID'd screenshot 2 from Italian MC racing documentary, bike wreck no number visible

#316-#317 may be the same, or connected in some way. If so, subtract from list totals.

---

#318: Incident in the 1952 Italian GP at Monza, no idea what, registered as "other", though it looks like a practice crash aftermath. Ascari? Click to enlarge:

---

#319: A #1 Alfa-Romeo Alfasud, crashing (3) and aftermath (1), no larger version available:

---

#320: MC road race crash, bike #14 and #72, possibly Italian:

---

#321: Aftermath of Leopoldo Milani, who was probably injured at Modena in MC race in the 1950s, click to enlarge:

---

#322: #131 Renault 5, Rino Fabbri?

---

#323: Vacant.

---

#324: #141 FIAT 1400 of Dalla Costa/Velardi, retired in the 1953 Mille Miglia, but there is no direct evidence of an accident, counts as "other", click to enlarge:

www.racingsportscars.com/results/Mille_ ... 04-26.html

---

#325: Accident during the 1907 Coppa Florio, not the fatal one I think, click to enlarge:

Mech ejected from car, or someone was knocked down by a car with only the driver in it. From probably La Vie Au Grand Air, but I don't know which issue. Text is blurred and unreadable.

https://www.ebay.it/itm/1907-VGA-INCONT ... rk:22:pf:0

Too expensive, I think we will be able to find that issue sometime online.

---

#326: Spin during Formula Ford race at Monza in 1984:

---

#327: #2 Bill Maddrick wreck, 1955?, Monza:

---

#328: Aftermath of Attilio Damiani and Bruno Jacobini, in 1958?, Monza:

---

#329: Ernesto Brambilla's aftermath (2), 350cc, 1960?

ImageImage

---

#330: Unknown rider in the 1974 Grand Prix of Nations at Imola, click to enlarge:

---

#331: Leopoldo Tartarini's aftermath (2) in 1950s MC race in Perugia, possible injury, click to enlarge:

ImageImage

---
Jesper Hvid
Permanent Ban
Permanent Ban

Post by Jesper Hvid »

Segment number six (Holland): #332-#347.

---

List of images (crashes: 2; wrecks: 2; aftermaths: 3; other/fire/unknown: 0; total pics: 8; different situations: 7):

---

#332: 1960s F3 aftermath (driver probably in photo), click to enlarge:

---

#333: 1960s #45 saloon car wreck, click to enlarge:

---

#334: 1970s Zandvoort Formula Ford maybe, Henry Schouwinck and one more, #45 and #51, aftermath (2), click to enlarge:

ImageImage

These have not been posted before.

---

#335: NOT Wim Gerlach's fatal accident, a Porsche aftermath at Zandvoort in 1959, click to enlarge:

---

#336: 1960(?) NOT Rob Slotemaker but Zandvoort Huge Accident, click to enlarge:

Could be an early accident of same driver, or an accident at the section named after him, but then that would be modern, and I think this is 60s material.

+comments. + thumbnail.

---

#337: Unknown #3 rallycross? accident:

---

#338: May 1955 J. van Dieten wreck, d-type jaguar at Zandvoort in practice, the race is not on racingsportscars.

---

#339-#347: Vacant

---
Jesper Hvid
Permanent Ban
Permanent Ban

Post by Jesper Hvid »

Segment number seven (France and Belgium - all eras): #348-#375 + #391-#400.

---

List of images (crashes: 5; wrecks: 19; aftermaths: 6; other/fire/unknown: 7; total pics: 51; different situations: 38):

---

#348: Big Mont-Dore Hillclimb accident, 1970s and non-fatal, but not Yves Martin in 1974 (who drove a McLaren)

---

#349: 1966 Critérium de Cévennes, cars #97 and #102, click to enlarge:

---

#350: Situation from the 1935 Monte Carlo rally, aftermath, not sure if this car has gone into the grandstands or not. Click to enlarge:

---

#351: 190? Early Incident In The Mont Ventoux Hillclimb, 2 versions, click to enlarge:

ImageImage

I suppose the number on the rear of the car is the license plate rather than the car number.

Looks like the driver is threatening to punch, or has already punched, that old dude who looks like an orthodox priest or something... I guess Jean Behra or James Hunt might have done that, in their day, but this looks pre-WW1 to me. Anyone recognize it?

Does say accident on the postcard, but registered as other.

---

#352: Unknown rider on stretcher, presumably injured after accident, Pau 1964 MotoGP, click to enlarge:

http://racingmemo.free.fr/M%20FRANCE/MO ... %20PAU.htm <--- three possible races to choose from, but detailed stats are unavailable.

---

#353: 1902 #39 Wreck (2), Aulnoy, Seine-Et-Marne, France Click to enlarge.

ImageImage

First and third view, so there is a second one, as well.

Possibly from an early intercities road race. "S.-et-M." is sort of funny.

add comments.

---

#354: 1962 700 Bialbero LeMans Prototipo Wreck #82

add comments.

---

#355: 1950 Coupe Des Alpes, #56 Aftermath (2) British team crashed this one. A Jowett Javelin, apparently. Good thing it wasn't a fart javelin (old crasherama in-joke). Who drove?

ImageImage

---

#356: An Alfa Romeo T33/2 Daytona wreck in French vintage race, click to enlarge:

If the driver is in the pic, it's aftermath, change that if so.

---

#357: Very early #72 touring car aftermath, possibly to do with racing, click to enlarge:

---

#358: Bottom left image: Unknown wreck, click to enlarge:

If all pics are from same, then it could be the 1938 Frontières GP won by a BMW 328, see upper right. Running start pic looks like Spa.

---

#359: Bottom right image: #58 wreck. Click to enlarge:

If all pics are from same, then it could be the 1938 Frontières GP won by a BMW 328, see upper right. Running start pic looks like Spa.

---

#360: Possibly Paddy Hopkirk's #429 wreck in the 1958 Alpine Rally, car appears to be a 1958 Triumph TR3A Works Rally Roadster, click to enlarge:

http://www.teamdan.com/archive/www2/mis ... iscra.html

---

#361: This should be easy, but there must be a mistake somewhere. It is clearly car #238 in the 1955 Monte Carlo Rally. It said "W Schluter" with the pic where found. Results say he (Walter Schlüter) drove the #217 with S. Eickelmann, and that it was Rob Slotemaker/H. Maasland in the #238, but they were classified in the race: http://rallyemontecarlo1955.unblog.fr/

---

#362: 1970 Rouen F3, or something supposed to look like it, I think it's fake, hence: other.

---

#363: The "Jimmy" #4 Ford GT40 wreck (2) in the Tour de France, 2005 or earlier, click to enlarge:

ImageImage

---

#364: Possibly Jean-Louis Rosier in the 1948 Coupes du Salon at Montlhéry, to the right, note broken suspension, possible accident, click to enlarge:

Registered as "other", due to uncertainness of item.

---

#365: Retired car in the 1958 Le Mans, unknown if crashed, therefore "other", click to enlarge:

---

#366: #96 Hudson of Bravard/Reveiller retired at Montlhéry in the 1936 GP de l'A.C.F., accident? Listed as "other".

---

#367: Scene from the 1905 Gordon Bennett Cup qualifiers at the Circuit d'Auvergne, "Virage de la Mort", possibly to do with an accident, listed as other, click to enlarge:

---

#368: 1974 MC-crash at Rouen, in the Trophee Gallica, click to enlarge:

---

#369: Unknown fire (2) in 1970s hillclimb, probably French, click to enlarge:

ImageImage

---

#370: Openwheeler wreck at Albi, in the 1970s, click to enlarge:

---

#371: Amilcar wreck, not that of Mestivier at Le Mans, but probably French, and of same era (1920s), could be the result of a racing accident. Click to enlarge:

---

#372: Flipped and burned sportscar at Le Mans, autodiva pic, it was misID'd as I worked out by comparison,

find link to discussion in fastlane sportscar crash photo.

---

#373: Aftermath of hillclimb crash into armco in 1976 at Bournezeau:

---

#374: French stock car accidents from the 1950s. Click to enlarge:

---

#375: #46 hillclimb wreck (2), Course de Côte de Bomerée (Belgium), click to enlarge. Chevrolet Bel Air? I've forgotten most of my car knowledge, I don't immediately recognize brands or models anymore.

ImageImage

---

#391: Partially ID'd touringcar crash at Eau Rouge, in the 1968 Coupes de Spa:

Unknown driver of Alfa #23 and Porsche #7 of Jean-Pierre Gaban collide (2), the former retires behind haybales (5), and the latter retires up escape route to the left (1). Click to enlarge:

ImageImageImage

In these photos, the crash and aftermath of item #392 is also shown:

ImageImageImage <--- larger version of the previous one.

In these photo, the wrecks of item #392 are also shown:

ImageImage

http://touringcarracing.net/Races/1968% ... 20Spa.html

---

#392: Partially ID'd touringcar crash at Eau Rouge, in the 1968 Coupes de Spa:

After #391, two more cars collide in same place, #8 Porsche of Hermann Dorner and unknown driver of #35 Mini. In some of these photo, the wrecks of item #391 are also shown: Click to enlarge:

ImageImageImage <--- larger version of the previous one.

ImageImage

ImageImage

http://touringcarracing.net/Races/1968% ... 20Spa.html

---

#393: Unknown sportscar aftermath from 1970, click to enlarge:

---

#394: 2 wrecks at the side of road track, in interwar-era, possibly Montlhéry, click to enlarge:

---

#395: Pre-WW1 wrecks, possibly at Dieppe, and one of the A.C.F. GsP, click to enlarge:

---

#396: A Renault maybe, wrecked in race, not Marcel Renault's fatal wreck, but similar, perhaps from one of the intercity races of the pre-WW1 era, click to enlarge:

---

#397: Burned wreck of race car, perhaps from one of the intercity races of the pre-WW1 era, click to enlarge:

---

#398: F3 crash at Albi:
Jacob wrote: 4 years ago Another unknown F3 wreck. At Albi
---

#399: F3 #33 crash, click to enlarge:

Forum research: Maybe Albi, 1984 French F3, Phillippe de Henning and Danny Boutin had accidents.

---

#400: Mini crash in Belgian rallycross event, click to enlarge.

---

Extra: Porsche wreck in the Rallye du Nord, click to enlarge:

Jesper Hvid
Permanent Ban
Permanent Ban

Post by Jesper Hvid »

Segment number eight (Spain and Portugal - all eras): #376-#390.

---

List of images (crashes: 3; wrecks: 4; aftermaths: 0; other/fire/unknown: 0; total pics: 16; different situations: 6):

---

#376: 2005 Unknown Rally Or Hillclimb Accident Involving Spectators. Car #116 going into the crowd and later seen in the undergrowth. Click to enlarge (2) crash and wreck, Tenerife:

ImageImage

It looks to me like the sign says "San Andres", but not sure. That would put the accident on the island of Tenerife (Spain). Also, it looks like the car number is 126, rather than 116, in the first (blurry) photo, so I'm not even 100% sure it's to do with the same accident, but it should be, as the pics were found on the same site, and in sequence.

---

#377: Rally crash near Piodão in Portugal, hitting spectators. Click to enlarge:

+ comments.

---

#378: Basterre's wreck (3) at race in 1923 at Lasarte, click to enlarge:

ImageImageImage

---

#379: Sert's wreck (3), 1923 Lasarte, add the other two. Click to enlarge:

ImageImageImage

remove one if version same

---

#380: Unknown #5 touringcar wreck in the 1913 1st Copa del Rey (King's Cup) in Spain:

---

#381: 6-pic truck crash sequence from Albacete (there is also a driver named that):

ImageImage
ImageImage
ImageImage

Some research points by members: I'm not even sure if this was a round of the European Truck Racing Championship (ETRC). Also I'm not sure if national truck racing series even existed?

The #8 truck passing by in the 3rd and 4th picture seems to be a French entry. A Google search for "Tacher injection Branges" gives back some results that strongly point towards our Southern Neighbors (or your Northern? =)).

"Stop Pieces Auto Lyon" on the flipping truck might be a clue as well.

Probably the Copa de España de Camiones. Picture quality would suggest any time from around 1994 to very early 2000s.

---

#382-#390: Vacant.

---
Jesper Hvid
Permanent Ban
Permanent Ban

Post by Jesper Hvid »

Segment number nine (Africa - all eras): #401-#425.

---

List of images (crashes: 1; wrecks: 0; aftermaths: 1; other/fire/unknown: 0; total pics: 2; different situations: 2):

---

#401: Rally aftermath, 1992 or earlier, click to enlarge:

---

#402: Speedcar #30 at Mead or similar place:

---

#403-#425: Vacant.

---
Jesper Hvid
Permanent Ban
Permanent Ban

Post by Jesper Hvid »

Segment number ten (Asia): #426-#450.

---

List of images (crashes: 3; wrecks: 0; aftermaths: 0; other/fire/unknown: 0; total pics: 3; different situations: 3):

---

#426: 1930s crash at Tamagawa Speedway, not the famous Honda accident:

---

#427: Macau flip in 1963, production car race.
PTRACER wrote: 4 years ago It would have been the Production Car race. I can't find any complete race results or entry lists.
---

#428: Unknown Japanese F3000, click to enlarge:

---

#429-#450: Vacant.

---
Jesper Hvid
Permanent Ban
Permanent Ban

Post by Jesper Hvid »

Segment number eleven (Eastern Europe): #451-#475.

---

List of images (crashes: 0; wrecks: 1; aftermaths: 1; other/fire/unknown: 0; total pics: 2; different situations: 2):

---

#451: 1930 #58 Czechoslovakian sportscar aftermath, click to enlarge:

I found it here: http://www.motorjournal.cz/2000/04/mj04.html

Not sure what this means (from same source):
Letos uplynulo 70 let od založení Aero Car Clubu. K tomuto výročí připravuje knihu Karel Jičínský
Karel Jičínský is obviously a name, and maybe it means something like, Aero Car Club 70th anniversary, but it's just guesswork. Maybe tomuto has something to do with tom ato - who knows...

+comment

---

#452: Croatian wreck, no info. Click to enlarge:

---

#453-#475: Vacant.

---
Jesper Hvid
Permanent Ban
Permanent Ban

Post by Jesper Hvid »

Segment number twelve (Scandinavia - all eras): #476-#500.

---

List of images (crashes: 11; wrecks: 0; aftermaths: 4; other/fire/unknown: 2; total pics: 22; different situations: 16):

---

#476: 197? Unknown Saloon Car Crash and aftermath Sequence, probably 1960s, I've no info whatsoever. Could be Swedish (#6 Saab?):

Add comments

---

#477: 1970s #1 Ford Escort aftermath At Scandinavian dirt track

KMK could be an abbreviation for just about [anyfink] Motor Klub, Danish or Swedish. Rally or dirt track, no idea, but I don't think it's the former, then the navigator would have been seriously fucked.
Race Luckily, the steering wheel for some reason is on the right. Could be Aage Buch Larsen or Tom Belsø, early 70s.

---

#478: Ari Vatanen rally accident (3) from 1978, probably Swedish , most likely Finnish, click to enlarge:

ImageImageImage

---

#479: "Norton"-Hansen, possibly, in one of his unlucky season of 1951, on the Danish dirt tracks.

---

#480: Lindegaard Petersen and Børge Mørch crash, unknown Danish dirt track, 1952 or earlier.

---

#481: Left image is a scene from Swedish movie from 1950 called (Danish title) Motordjævelen, but I don't know if it's an actual crash that was used:

Counts as "other".

---

#482: Collage of images from the 1952 Danish Championship (cars). One curious photo shows a track official stamping out a fire in a seat that was thrown from one of the competing vehicles! Counts as "other".

---

#483: Aftermath of unknown speedway crash at Haderslev, Jutland, Denmark, in 1952 or -51:

---

#484: Johs. Mygind's speedway crash at Odense, Funen, Denmark, in 1952 or -51:

---

#485: Svend NIssen's speedway crash at Esbjerg, Jutland, Denmark, in 1952 or -51, during international match race between Denmark and Holland, click to enlarge:

---

#486: #7 Niels E. Nielsen crashes hard at Odense, Funen, Denmark, in unknown race in 1952- or -51:

---

#487: Crash in the 1974 Danish Volvo Cup, probably at Jyllands-Ringen, click to enlarge:

---

#488: Brixland's (S) crash in Danish go-kart race in 1974, possibly at Amager, click to enlarge:

---

#489: Jan Jensen in Danish Formula Libre dirt track accident in 1975, click to enlarge:

---

#490: Danish #8 Ford Escort or Capri dirt track aftermath from 1975, click to enlarge:

---

#491: Ronnie Peterson spinning, taking down catchfencing during a session of the 1975 F1 season, click to enlarge:

---

#492: Roll (4) of #126 at Danish dirt track in 1975, click to enlarge:

---

#493: #165 NSU crashes at Danish dirt track in 1975, click to enlarge:

---

#494-#500: Vacant.

---
Jesper Hvid
Permanent Ban
Permanent Ban

Post by Jesper Hvid »

Segment number thirteen (USA and Canada - 1970 or later): #501-#550.

---

List of images (crashes: 36; wrecks: 7; aftermaths: 4; other/fire/unknown: 1; total pics: 64; different situations: 50):

---

#501: Sprintcar accident, 1982, Eldora, Bud Bash, click to enlarge:

---

#502: Billy Anderson's #98 sprintcar crash (4), click to enlarge:

ImageImageImageImage

---

#503: #89 and #55 supermodified car crash, click to enlarge:

---

#504: #98 sprintcar aftermath (2), "1972 T.L.":

ImageImage

---

#505: #39 Friday Hassler, after 1971 stock car crash, still going, counts as other, click to enlarge:

---

#506: 2005? American Drag Racing aftermath. Click to enlarge:

Looks like it left a trail of wreckage, see left background. The presence of an ambulance suggests the driver didn't quite walk away. I can make out the words "...son drag racing mass..." on the windscreen. "B" on the door. Could that be Massachussetts, then?

---

#507: 200? #52 Lola T596 Crash, Ray Skinner owner, an American,

add comments.

---

#508: 1991 Brian Carson Car Stunt crash and Aftermath, Click to enlarge the right one:

ImageImage

+comments.

---

#509: Ed Pasek crash/fire, unknown place, series and year, click to enlarge:

---

#510: 1992 IMSA 12 Hours of Sebring, Bud Light Jag Practice Wreck , Click to enlarge.

+comments.

---

#511: Unknown crash from the Mosport 6 Hour Race of 1980, click to enlarge:

---

#512: Unknown SCCA openwheeler flip, click to enlarge:

---

#513: 1970 Unknown Openwheeler (Formula Junior?) Crash,Laguna Seca

looks a lot like one that's solved, but there's no 100% match

---

#514: 1970s #2 Trans-Am, lost wheel, Donnybrook? Click to enlarge:

---

#515: 1974, Bisbee or Clifton Hillclimb, Arizona - car #31? wreck:

---

#516: Gordini aftermath in USA, no info, car no. partially obscured, click to enlarge:

---

#517: Adam Mitchell's #99 sprintcar crash at unknown track, unknown year:

---

#518: The 1980(?) Westwood aftermath (3), #77 Van Diemen Formula Ford, click to enlarge:

ImageImageImage

---

#519: Bill Buschle Pinto wreck, Salem, Mid-America Mini Stock Championship, unknown year, click to enlarge:

---

#520: Stine Paul driver name? P. R. no idea, #52 stock car wreck in fence near spectators Pennsylvanian track, in 1970:

---

#521: Unknown sprintcar crash, pic is in the first ever edition of Open Wheel Magazine, photographer Don Hadynski:

---

#522: Richard Powell's Weedsport Speedway wreck, pic is in the first ever edition of Open Wheel Magazine:

---

#523: Gerald Chamberlain's #76, unknown year, series and track. Click to enlarge:

---

#524: Wreck in the 1971 Indy 500, not necessarily an accident, but perhaps Mosley's wreck. Click to enlarge:

---

#525: Huge sprintcar crash (3), USA, perhaps Indiana State Fairgrounds, no idea, and I haven't attempted to ID it. Cars are #7, #89 and one more which I cannot make out. Could have been serious. Click to enlarge:

---

#526: Old #56 from vintage section moved, as it's 1970 or later:

Amazing #23 midget crash pic, I have no info other than what can be derived from this site, where I found it: http://www.apc.net/danh/niterace.htm <--- no longer exists

---

#527: The old #93 from USA section 1. Rollcage, so probably 1970 or later, so moved.

Click to enlarge. Lee Parker was the owner of this badly wrecked ride, if that helps any. Not sure if the Seventies qualify as "vintage", but it's my final one, no more clogging from yours truly. Likely later than 1969.

+comments.

---

#528: King Kramer and Sheldon Kinser flip (6) at Eldora year unknown, pic is in the first ever edition of Open Wheel Magazine, Ralph Tippy photographer:

---

#529: Ron Rea, rest unknown, pic is in the first ever edition of Open Wheel Magazine.

---

#530: Jerry Weeks USAC sprintcar crash at Winchester, pic is in the first ever edition of Open Wheel Magazine:

---

#531: Unknown sprintcar crash, pic is in the first ever edition of Open Wheel Magazine:

---

#532: Larry Goad, Springfield Ill., pic is in the first ever edition of Open Wheel Magazine:

---

#533: Billy Cassella at Eldora, pic is in the first ever edition of Open Wheel Magazine:

---

#534: Don Hewitt at Limaland Ohio, pic is in the first ever edition of Open Wheel Magazine:

---

#535: Jimmy Oskie at Ascot, pic is in the first ever edition of Open Wheel Magazine:

---

#536: Dave Gable midget crash at Lawrenceburg, Indiana, pic is in the first ever edition of Open Wheel Magazine:

---

#537: Rich Mueller midget crash, Belleville, Ill. pic is in the first ever edition of Open Wheel Magazine:

---

#538: Johnny Parsons, Jr. midget crash, pic is in the first ever edition of Open Wheel Magazine:

---

#539: Sammy Swindell at Ascot, pic is in the first ever edition of Open Wheel Magazine:

---

#540: Gary Gray USAC sprintcar crash at Salem, pic is in the first ever edition of Open Wheel Magazine:

---

#541: Joe Saldana at Terre Haute, pic is in the first ever edition of Open Wheel Magazine:

---

#542: #67 crash, pic is in the first ever edition of Open Wheel Magazine, Don Hadynski photo:

---

#543: #27 crash, pic is in the first ever edition of Open Wheel Magazine, Don Hadynski photo:

---

#544: Unknown, pic is in the first ever edition of Open Wheel Magazine, Don Hadynski photo:

---

#545: Ron Shuman, pic is in the first ever edition of Open Wheel Magazine, photo:

---

#546: John Redican sprintcar, next two are possibly the same, possibly Ascot, 1980s.

---

#547: Possibly the same as previous and following ones, possibly Ascot, 1980s.

---

#548: Possibly the same as two previous ones, possibly Ascot, 1980s.

---

#549: Paul Pitzer, Williams Grove, click to enlarge:

---

#550: Unknown sprintcar wreck from 1975, at Phoenix Int. Raceway, click to enlarge:

---