Motorsport Memorial updates

Post here if you come across a video or image that you would like identifying.
Motorsportrace
Supreme Member
Supreme Member

Post by Motorsportrace »

Bottom post of the previous page:

Sedre wrote: 3 years ago Finally, search function on Motorsport Memorial works as it should be:

https://forums.autosport.com/topic/9705 ... ?p=9204960
After years...
Motorsportrace
PTRACER
Forum Administrator
Forum Administrator
Favourite Motorsport: Formula 1
Favourite Racing Car: Lotus 49
Favourite Driver: Gilles Villeneuve, James Hunt
Favourite Circuit: Nordschleife
Car(s) Currently Owned: Mitsubishi Lancer Evo X JDM

Post by PTRACER »

That is awesome news. I offered a fix to him 4 years ago and it was ignored.
Developer of the 1967v3 Historic Mod for Grand Prix Legends: viewtopic.php?t=17429

King of the Race Track, Destroyer of Tyres, Breaker of Lap Records
Sedre
Advanced Member
Advanced Member

Post by Sedre »

In some sort of unexpected twist I was appointed as one of editors for Motorsport Memorial, so in case of new or missing fatalities you can contact me in this thread. I already received manual so I'll start to work at the weekend.
PTRACER
Forum Administrator
Forum Administrator

Post by PTRACER »

Sedre wrote: 3 years ago In some sort of unexpected twist I was appointed as one of editors for Motorsport Memorial, so in case of new or missing fatalities you can contact me in this thread. I already received manual so I'll start to work at the weekend.
Very nice! So you and @Jesper Hvid will be working together, as has also been an editor there.

Do they give you direct access to edit the database?
Developer of the 1967v3 Historic Mod for Grand Prix Legends: viewtopic.php?t=17429

Sedre
Advanced Member
Advanced Member

Post by Sedre »

PTRACER wrote: 3 years ago
Sedre wrote: 3 years ago In some sort of unexpected twist I was appointed as one of editors for Motorsport Memorial, so in case of new or missing fatalities you can contact me in this thread. I already received manual so I'll start to work at the weekend.
Very nice! So you and @Jesper Hvid will be working together, as has also been an editor there.

Kinda. I have access to add new entries and correct existing ones. Some things, like adding new series and racing venues, are secured by "Big Bosses" (Nanni and Sal).
hollie3sa

Post by hollie3sa »

Sedre wrote: 3 years ago

Kinda. I have access to add new entries and correct existing ones. Some things, like adding new series and racing venues, are secured by "Big Bosses" (Nanni and Sal).
Surely you've earned your spot there @Sedre :thumbsup:

Do you know what happened that they finally fixed the search function?
Sedre
Advanced Member
Advanced Member

Post by Sedre »

hollie3sa wrote: 3 years ago
Sedre wrote: 3 years ago

Surely you've earned your spot there @Sedre :thumbsup:

Do you know what happened that they finally fixed the search function?
I know that they have two main problems - search function and inability to add new editors. Probably Sal updated MM so both problems were fixed, but I don't know all details.

One of first entries which I'm going to add will be Tong Zhenghui: viewtopic.php?f=26&t=16742

I was going to send him alongside several fatalities from Asia, Australia and New Zealand later this week, but now I can add them myself.
Sedre
Advanced Member
Advanced Member

Post by Sedre »

Ok, my first experience in adding new entry was successful so feel free to post any new cases and information here; I'll try to add them to Motorsport Memorial as quick as possible.

Only exceptions are fatalities from USA - there are some "rules" with their creating and editing so I'll send these cases to American editors.
Michael Ferner
Favourite Racing Car: Miller '122', McLaren M23
Favourite Driver: Billy Winn, Bruce McLaren
Car(s) Currently Owned: None

Post by Michael Ferner »

The "rules" are probably that you need to enter sensationalist nonsense such as "... his wife had a premonition that he was going to die and tried to persuade him not to race..." or "... he was going to retire/drive in the Indy 500 following the race he died in..." :rolleyes:
2023 'Guess The Pole' Points & Accuracy Champion

If you don't vote now against fascism, you may never have that chance again...

Ceterum censeo interruptiones essent delendam.
Sedre
Advanced Member
Advanced Member

Post by Sedre »

hollie3sa wrote: 5 years ago New entry

unknown

Complete name: unknown
Birth date: ??.???.????
Birth Place: ???
Death date: 07.Jul.2018
Death Place: ??
Nationality: Portugal
Age at death: 65/71

Event date: 07.Jul.2018
Series: Campeonato de Portugal de Ralis (Portuguese Rally Championship)
Race: Rally de Viana do Castelo
Event type: rally stage
Venue: Rally de Viana do Castelo
Variant: 2018, first special stage, San Salvador da Torres - Amonde 1

Role: spectator
Vehicle type: car
Vehicle sub-type: touring car
Vehicle brand/model: Mitsubishi Lancer Evo X
Vehicle number: 27

Notes:
The 2018 Rally de Viana do Castelo, held in the xxxx region, Portugal, was marred by an accident that claimed the life of a spectator.

The accident happened at around 3.30 p.m. local time during the first special stage, San Salvador da Torres - Amonde 1. The Mitubishi Lancer Evo X (#27), driven by Portuguese duo Ricardo Barbosa/Cátia Longo went straight in a left hand turn in the town of São Lourenço da Montaria. It left the track and ran over the unfortunate spectator who was standing in an authorized area.
Despite the immediate interventions of the race doctor and paramedics of the Instituto Nacional de Emergência Médica (INEM), the spectator succumbed to his injuries at the scene of the accident.

The name of the victim, which was reported to be from Guimarães, was not released. He was either 65 or 71 years old.

As a sign of respect, the rally was eventually suspended and restarted only the next day.

Sources:

-https://www.diariodominho.pt/2018/07/07 ... guimaraes/
-http://www.radiogeice.com/fm/2018/07/07 ... espetador/
-https://www.cmjornal.pt/desporto/detalh ... tado-grave
-http://www.cronobandeira.com/results/20 ... iViana.zip
which is the same as
hollie3sa wrote: 4 years ago unknown

Birth Place:
Death date: 07.Jul.2018
Death Place:
Nationality: Portugal
Age at death: 62/64/65/71

Event date: 07.Jul.2018
Series: Portugal National Rally Championship
Race: 7. Rali de Viana do Castelo 2018
Event type: race
Venue:
Variant:

Vehicle brand/model: Mitsubishi Lancer Evo X
Vehicle number: 27

Notes:
A fatal accident that resulted in the death of a spectator marred the 7th edition of the Rali de Viana do Castelo.
On July 7th, at around 3:30 pm, the #27 Mitsubishi Lancer Evo X, driven by Portuguese duo Ricardo Barbosa/Cátia Longo went out of control during the first special stage São Salvador da Torre / Amonde 1. The car left the road on the outside of a left hand curve and hit an elderly spectator who was watching the race from an authorized area. The man was immediatly attended by the medical crew of the INEM (National Institute of Medical Emergency) but they could do nothing to save his life. The unfortunate spectator died at the scene.
The accident happened in the municipality São Lourenço da Montaria.
Out of respect for the victim, the rally was immediatly suspended (and eventually resumed on Sunday/abandoned)

The unnamed spectator lived in Guimarães. Several sources reported different ages of the victim, ranging from 62 to 71 years.

Sources:
https://desporto.sapo.pt/modalidades/mo ... -castelo-2
https://www.ewrc-results.com/retired/45 ... telo-2018/

Still no entry at mm.org
Done: http://www.motorsportmemorial.org/focus ... ct&n=13391
Sedre
Advanced Member
Advanced Member

Post by Sedre »

hollie3sa wrote: 5 years ago unknown

Birth Place: unknown, unknown
Death date: 28.Oct.2017
Death Place: unknown, Spain
Nationality: Spain
Age at death: 24

Event date: 28.Oct.2017
Series: Campeonato de Castilla y León
Race: 7. Rallysprint de Tierra de Sariegos
Event type: rally stage
Venue: Rallysprint de Tierra de Sariegos
Variant: 2017, unknown special stage

Vehicle brand/model: Opel Kadett
Vehicle number: 40

Notes: Car driven by Alejandro Martínez Muñiz/Samuel Fernández Gavela

Sources:

http://www.diariodeleon.es/noticias/dep ... 99721.html
Same as above: No mm.org entry
Done: http://www.motorsportmemorial.org/focus ... ct&n=13392
JThur01

Post by JThur01 »

Michael Ferner wrote: 3 years ago The "rules" are probably that you need to enter sensationalist nonsense such as "... his wife had a premonition that he was going to die and tried to persuade him not to race..." or "... he was going to retire/drive in the Indy 500 following the race he died in..." :rolleyes:
Michael, Michael, Michael (where's the head shaking emoji?) :insulted:

If you see something like you describe, I guarantee it was not written by an American editor at MM.

I've explained to you before that it's not Americans that have made those type of entries, but a few Europeans who are utterly unfamiliar with U.S. oval racing and the tropes trotted out by U.S. newspapers of the day, which they seem to take all quite literally. MM's American editors have done credible to outstanding work, doing none of the sensationalist nonsense.

For one, I appreciate that Americans are finally getting to do the U.S. entries at MM, which also entails a lot of clean up work of the sort of things you described. I also wish more of the entries had names signed to the work, so perhaps you might see the differences :wink:
JThur01

Post by JThur01 »

While we're here, it seems difficult for Europeans to understand that there are differences between rallying and karting in the U.S. and how they think of it in Europe. To prevent more being submitted to Motorsport Memorial that don't qualify, I offer the following as an explanation in hopes of clarifying the differences.

Karting: Not all "karting" accidents in the U.S. are of the competitive karting type, sometimes it's simply a "go-kart ride" or a youngster fooling around with a home built motorized cart. There is competitive karting in the U.S., but there are also "go-kart rides" at miniature golf courses, fairs and many other places that aren't any formal competition of any kind. For example, a venue named "Bananas Fun Park" gives a clue as to what type of "karting" took place :smiley:

Rallying: Rally racing goes on the U.S., but there are far more recreational or "fun" type rallies. These are non-racing events, run by non-racing clubs (through work, school, church). They are more along the lines of regularity rallies. A good rule is any "rally" event that isn't sanctioned by the SCCA (Sports Car Club of America), or its stage rally racing successors, Rally America and the American Rally Association should be viewed with great skepticism and probably is one of the above types of rallies. SCCA didn't sanction pro rallying until 1973, and I am not aware of any stage rally racing in the U.S. prior to 1969, so that should be considered as well.

When referring to U.S. newspaper accounts of accidents involving "rallying" and "karting," please carefully read the report as there is usually something that clearly explains which type of event it is.
PTRACER
Forum Administrator
Forum Administrator

Post by PTRACER »

JThur01 wrote: 3 years ago While we're here, it seems difficult for Europeans to understand that there are differences between rallying and karting in the U.S. and how they think of it in Europe.
Huh? I have never seen anyone who has failed to make that distinction...

JThur01

Post by JThur01 »

JThur01 wrote: 3 years ago While we're here, it seems difficult for Europeans to understand that there are differences between rallying and karting in the U.S. and how they think of it in Europe.
Perhaps not posted to this forum, but I've just gone through a list of submissions for inclusion at Motorsport Memorial that failed to make that distinction for rallying. The same list has similar issues with karting, but we haven't tackled those yet.

And there are these, currently entered at MM (if interested, please click the links in the next couple of days, as they will expire):
http://www.motorsportmemorial.org/focus ... ct&n=13249
http://www.motorsportmemorial.org/focus ... ct&n=13248
http://www.motorsportmemorial.org/focus ... ct&n=13089
http://www.motorsportmemorial.org/focus ... ct&n=13088

I've also managed to either prevent a few others like this from being entered, or managed to get them hidden. So, I've run across it quite a bit.
Sedre
Advanced Member
Advanced Member

Post by Sedre »

I'm the one who did not know the situation with American rallying. Honestly, I believed that rallies simply were not popular in comparison to other car racing categories in the US and for a long time they had amateur rallies organized by local sports car clubs.