Morality and the CPdB

Our pioneering project aims to identify and catalogue every crash photo in racing history. We cannot do it alone, so if you have any spare time, view this forum and sign up to help!
Everso Biggyballies
Legendary Member
Legendary Member
Favourite Motorsport: Anything that goes left and right.
Favourite Racing Car: Too Many to mention
Favourite Driver: Kimi,Niki,Jim(none called Michael)
Favourite Circuit: Nordschleife, Spa, Mt Panorama.
Car(s) Currently Owned: Audi SQ5 3.0L V6 TwinTurbo
Location: Just moved 3 klms further away so now 11 klms from Albert Park, Melbourne.

Post by Everso Biggyballies »

Bottom post of the previous page:

@PTRACER :agreepost:

* I started life with nothing, and still have most of it left

“Good drivers have dead flies on the side windows!” (Walter Röhrl)

* I married Miss Right. Just didn't know her first name was Always
acerogers58
Advanced Member
Advanced Member

Post by acerogers58 »

Personally, I never added the photos taken inside Dale Earnhardt's car after his accident, reason being they're a bit gruesome but also can be easily found on other sites with a google search, but if the photos in question are from a private collection or hard to find, I think they should be added, obviously with the graphic content warning..
PTRACER
Forum Administrator
Forum Administrator
Favourite Motorsport: Formula 1
Favourite Racing Car: Lotus 49
Favourite Driver: Gilles Villeneuve, James Hunt
Favourite Circuit: Nordschleife
Car(s) Currently Owned: Mitsubishi Lancer Evo X JDM

Post by PTRACER »

acerogers58 wrote: 3 years ago Personally, I never added the photos taken inside Dale Earnhardt's car after his accident, reason being they're a bit gruesome but also can be easily found on other sites with a google search, but if the photos in question are from a private collection or hard to find, I think they should be added, obviously with the graphic content warning..
Those are on the forum, but I do not see the need to put them in the CPdB and I would request them to not be added.
Developer of the 1967v3 Historic Mod for Grand Prix Legends: viewtopic.php?t=17429

King of the Race Track, Destroyer of Tyres, Breaker of Lap Records
MonteCristo
Favourite Motorsport: Openwheel
Favourite Racing Car: Tyrrell P34/Protos
Favourite Driver: JV
Favourite Circuit: Road America

Post by MonteCristo »

For what it's worth from the perspective of a user rather than content admin... I just looked up the Earnhardt wreckage photos (indeed easily found), and personally I'm not too disturbed by them, but I'm just one person.

Perhaps a solution for more contentious images is to link to them from wherever they were found. The natural risk is that the link breaks at some point...But then if people *really* want to know/see more, then they know extra images exist.
Oscar Piastri in F1! Catch the fever! Vettel Hate Club. Life membership.

2012 GTP Non-Championship Champion | 2012 Guess the Kai-Star Half Marathon Time Champion | 2018 GTP Champion | 2019 GTP Champion
PTRACER
Forum Administrator
Forum Administrator

Post by PTRACER »

MonteCristo wrote: 3 years ago For what it's worth from the perspective of a user rather than content admin... I just looked up the Earnhardt wreckage photos (indeed easily found), and personally I'm not too disturbed by them, but I'm just one person.
Do you mean the photos which show the car interior after the crash?
Developer of the 1967v3 Historic Mod for Grand Prix Legends: viewtopic.php?t=17429

MonteCristo
Favourite Motorsport: Openwheel
Favourite Racing Car: Tyrrell P34/Protos
Favourite Driver: JV
Favourite Circuit: Road America

Post by MonteCristo »

PTRACER wrote: 3 years ago
MonteCristo wrote: 3 years ago For what it's worth from the perspective of a user rather than content admin... I just looked up the Earnhardt wreckage photos (indeed easily found), and personally I'm not too disturbed by them, but I'm just one person.
Do you mean the photos which show the car interior after the crash?
Yeah, those ones.
Oscar Piastri in F1! Catch the fever! Vettel Hate Club. Life membership.

2012 GTP Non-Championship Champion | 2012 Guess the Kai-Star Half Marathon Time Champion | 2018 GTP Champion | 2019 GTP Champion
Motorsportrace
Supreme Member
Supreme Member

Post by Motorsportrace »

PTRACER wrote: 3 years ago Well, we all have equal say here. The 'responsibility' to make the final decision only rests on me because my name is associated with this domain/website. Meaning that if we get any complaints from anyone, the blame will be mine as I am the site owner.

The point I wanted to make though is that we have to draw the line somewhere. It doesn't matter whether there is a written rule about it or not. If we, the contributors, look at certain photos as we upload them and start to think, "Well, maybe we shouldn't include that", then we shouldn't. Even if there are more graphic photos in the database. Even if this person in the photo lived and recovered, while others died. I feel that about this Roth photo and the Canadian marshal entry. I don't have any issues with them being posted on the forum, whether that be in Crash Photos or in a hidden section, since access to them are limited, but on the CPdB they are fully in the public domain.

Certainly, as @DaleJuniorFan says, autopsy photos are a definite, definite NO. Never, never, never.

Hospital photos, showing the driver recovering (E.g. like Stirling Moss), which were published widely in the press, no problem.

Photos of the driver in hospital on a breathing machine with tubes and things coming out of his body? Definitely not.

Open casket photos? Well, this is a hard one. In some of these cases, the press were invited to the funeral and asked to photograph the event. So, I guess it's okay, but let's use our discretion.

The Bonetto photos are borderline. I really, really don't like them but I don't have a strong feeling to delete them. One part of me says that this was so long ago, that maybe they are just about okay. Another part of me says that these photos are so clear and in such good quality, that they are beyond distasteful and should not be in the CPDB at all. If they were poor, newspaper quality images, like with the John Masariu, maybe they would be less of a problem. Ambiguity is always going to be there, we just have to work our way through it as a team.

Regarding the 1941 Indy fire photos or the 1960 Indy scaffold collapse, I don't see an issue.
Thanks for the explanation.

We need to make a list of what photos/entries should not be added to the CPDB, then.

- Autopsy photos (obvious);
- Photos of drivers in intensive care;
- Etc.

Also, maybe we could make a list of "censored" photos, so that if someone wants to see them, they can find them here.
Roth's hospital photo and the pictures of the unfortunate marshal are some examples.
Motorsportrace
PTRACER
Forum Administrator
Forum Administrator

Post by PTRACER »

Motorsportrace wrote: 3 years ago Thanks for the explanation.

We need to make a list of what photos/entries should not be added to the CPDB, then.

- Etc.

Also, maybe we could make a list of "censored" photos, so that if someone wants to see them, they can find them here.
Roth's hospital photo and the pictures of the unfortunate marshal are some examples.
What do you think of this one?
http://www.the-fastlane.co.uk/cpdb/cras ... itid1=3240

Motorsportrace
Supreme Member
Supreme Member

Post by Motorsportrace »

PTRACER wrote: 3 years ago
Motorsportrace wrote: 3 years ago Thanks for the explanation.

- Etc.

What do you think of this one?
http://www.the-fastlane.co.uk/cpdb/cras ... itid1=3240
It's quite bad, but those photos were taken just after the accident.
From what I understand, the woman who died is not shown in the photos.

EDIT: Or maybe she's in the last one.
I don't think they should be removed.
Motorsportrace
Michael Ferner
Favourite Racing Car: Miller '122', McLaren M23
Favourite Driver: Billy Winn, Bruce McLaren
Car(s) Currently Owned: None

Post by Michael Ferner »

What's the fascination with dead bodies? I mean, I come to the CDB to find pictures of crashed cars, because I'm interested in car histories and accident damage is important information. I'm also interested in driver histories, but if I read about a fatality or even only an injury, I don't need to see pictures of it - these are people, not cars, they have a life and privacy, they are not inanimate matter. So, what is it that makes you want to see pictures of injured and dead people? Tell me, I'm seriously curious about that.
2023 'Guess The Pole' Points & Accuracy Champion

If you don't vote now against fascism, you may never have that chance again...

Ceterum censeo interruptiones essent delendam.
sadsac
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Favourite Motorsport: all of them
Favourite Racing Car: 1990 Ferrari 640 F1
Favourite Driver: Ayrton Senna
Favourite Circuit: Spa
Car(s) Currently Owned: Seat Arona FR ,Skoda Fabia VRS

Post by sadsac »

I understand the morality of putting certain images on this site but as long as they are properly highlighted with warnings it is up too the person browsing too click on them , i don't think this site is intentionally promoting these types of images such as (a certain gore fest site that craves and has loaned a few pics of this site)a mention no names site :shocked:
if people want to look at them Google will almost certainly provide what they are looking for
So if there is no complaints outside the forum keep it as is with a obvious reduction in gory and graphic content
Motorsportrace
Supreme Member
Supreme Member

Post by Motorsportrace »

Michael Ferner wrote: 3 years ago What's the fascination with dead bodies? I mean, I come to the CDB to find pictures of crashed cars, because I'm interested in car histories and accident damage is important information. I'm also interested in driver histories, but if I read about a fatality or even only an injury, I don't need to see pictures of it - these are people, not cars, they have a life and privacy, they are not inanimate matter. So, what is it that makes you want to see pictures of injured and dead people? Tell me, I'm seriously curious about that.
It's quite difficult to explain.
I'll need to take some time to elaborate a reply.

I think it has to do with the fact that a driver/rider has an important "role" in a crash.
So, if I see a picture like this:

***WARNING***
http://www.the-fastlane.co.uk/images/cp ... _okjkj.jpg (Tom Pryce)
***WARNING***

I'm seeing a part of that crash.

Trust me, I don't have any pleasure in it, and I always place warning tags when I post a gruesome photo here (it's not like posting a picture of a wrecked car, at all).
Motorsportrace
PTRACER
Forum Administrator
Forum Administrator

Post by PTRACER »

Michael Ferner wrote: 3 years ago What's the fascination with dead bodies? I mean, I come to the CDB to find pictures of crashed cars, because I'm interested in car histories and accident damage is important information. I'm also interested in driver histories, but if I read about a fatality or even only an injury, I don't need to see pictures of it - these are people, not cars, they have a life and privacy, they are not inanimate matter. So, what is it that makes you want to see pictures of injured and dead people? Tell me, I'm seriously curious about that.
Luckily I found a way to hide all of those images, so you won't see them now unless you want to. [E.g. I don't recommend clicking on Motorsportrace's URL]

As for the fascination, I am sure some people consider looking at gore as a personal interest, but for regular people I just think it's natural human instinct to want to see them. Just like when there is an accident on the road and everyone slows down to take a good look at the aftermath.

Sedre
Advanced Member
Advanced Member

Post by Sedre »

PTRACER wrote: 3 years ago ... but for regular people I just think it's natural human instinct to want to see them.
I can confirm it for myself. Several days ago while reading one popular forum I found a link to a thread about an NSFW accident in a factory with video where in discussion were some other NSFW videos. I watched three (all of them were from security cams so qualify was thankfully worse than average) - factory accident, one traffic crash with several unfortunate coincidences which led to tragedy and suicide of some Asian man where by-standers were injured when it went wrong. Did not have any psychological traumas but also did not have any wishes to watch them once again (third video I rewatched because I don't fully understand what exactly happened). 
In the same thread there were at least two videos of murders with huge warning but I scrolled them down - I just can't imagine why I should watch how some maniac kills other people on camera. Maybe it's also instinct that it is not a big deal to saw deadly accident but another thing is to saw murder.
Motorsportrace
Supreme Member
Supreme Member

Post by Motorsportrace »

Sedre wrote: 3 years ago
PTRACER wrote: 3 years ago ... but for regular people I just think it's natural human instinct to want to see them.
I can confirm it for myself. Several days ago while reading one popular forum I found a link to a thread about an NSFW accident in a factory with video where in discussion were some other NSFW videos. I watched three (all of them were from security cams so qualify was thankfully worse than average) - factory accident, one traffic crash with several unfortunate coincidences which led to tragedy and suicide of some Asian man where by-standers were injured when it went wrong. Did not have any psychological traumas but also did not have any wishes to watch them once again (third video I rewatched because I don't fully understand what exactly happened). 
In the same thread there were at least two videos of murders with huge warning but I scrolled them down - I just can't imagine why I should watch how some maniac kills other people on camera. Maybe it's also instinct that it is not a big deal to saw deadly accident but another thing is to saw murder.
Yes, that can be applied to me too.

One thing I can't stand: animals killing/injuring people.
I don't know why, but I really don't want to watch that.
I can't say the same for the other way round, though...
Motorsportrace
Jacob
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Favourite Motorsport: Historic racing
Favourite Racing Car: Ferrari 312B
Favourite Driver: Jacky Ickx & all other old heroes
Favourite Circuit: Nordschleife/ old Spa/ Schleiz

Post by Jacob »

hi,
Is there a posibilty for a closed space in the CPDB for these photos, where only researchers, journalists and member have a special access? But completely hidden from public
"It´s not a matter of talent, it´s a matter of luck. Pure Luck:" - Jacky Ickx