Want to get involved in this project?

Our pioneering project aims to identify and catalogue every crash photo in racing history. We cannot do it alone, so if you have any spare time, view this forum and sign up to help!
PTRACER
Forum Administrator
Forum Administrator
Favourite Motorsport: Formula 1
Favourite Racing Car: Lotus 49
Favourite Driver: Gilles Villeneuve, James Hunt
Favourite Circuit: Nordschleife
Car(s) Currently Owned: Mitsubishi Lancer Evo X JDM

Want to get involved in this project?

Post by PTRACER »

How do you want to contribute?

"I have some crash photos which may be of interest to your project"
If you have some crash photos that we don't have, please upload them to your favourite image host and post them in one of the relevant threads here: viewtopic.php?f=26&t=12864

"I want to help enter crashes from your existing collection into your database"
We have an extensive collection of crash images already, so if you can help us enter what we have into our database, the project will progress so much more quickly! Reply to this thread for more details.

Potential Projects

Usually we enter crashes into our database by category. E.g. Formula 1 crashes, or Pre-War Grand Prix crashes, or fatal Le Mans crashes. This makes projects much easier to manage. Here are some example projects that you can take on:

As a starting point, here are some projects that could be completed relatively quickly using photos we already have in Crash Photos:

- Scandinavian crashes (Sweden, Norway, Finland and Denmark)
- Dutch and Belgian circuits
- German crashes
- French crashes
- IndyCar/ChampCar crashes - Any decade: 1950s, 1960s, 1970s, 1980s, 1990s or combination
- Notable crashes between 2005 to 2015

And one further project of importance:
- 'New' crashes. We need someone to keep track of crashes that occur in the present. Currently nobody is working on current crashes as we are too busy entering historic ones.
Developer of the 1967v3 Historic Mod for Grand Prix Legends: viewtopic.php?t=17429

King of the Race Track, Destroyer of Tyres, Breaker of Lap Records
Jesper Hvid
Permanent Ban
Permanent Ban

Post by Jesper Hvid »

I'm in.
PTRACER
Forum Administrator
Forum Administrator

Post by PTRACER »

Good good.
Developer of the 1967v3 Historic Mod for Grand Prix Legends: viewtopic.php?t=17429

Jesper Hvid
Permanent Ban
Permanent Ban

Post by Jesper Hvid »

PTRACER wrote:Good good.
Considering latest findings, I'd like to take the Legion Ascot-topic out of prep area, before I go about sorting anything else. Meanwhile, you may of course carry on with this any way you see fit.
PTRACER
Forum Administrator
Forum Administrator

Post by PTRACER »

At the moment I don't have the time to pursue it, but I will do.

Good luck with your Legion Ascot post.

Perhaps that's a good candidate for the first CPDB project. If we choose themes (eg. Fatal crashes involving Grand Prix drivers, or crashes at a particular circuit...), we could get some really important material uploaded. Any thoughts, Motorsportrace?

Jesper Hvid
Permanent Ban
Permanent Ban

Post by Jesper Hvid »

PTRACER wrote:At the moment I don't have the time to pursue it, but I will do.

Good luck with your Legion Ascot post.

Perhaps that's a good candidate for the first CPDB project. If we choose themes (eg. Fatal crashes involving Grand Prix drivers, or crashes at a particular circuit...), we could get some really important material uploaded. Any thoughts, Motorsportrace?
It is exactly the right way to go about it.
PTRACER
Forum Administrator
Forum Administrator

Post by PTRACER »

Great! Do you have plenty of space on Benhuset Jesper? We just need to ensure that all the photos we submit to the database are hosted by us (so long as we credit where we get it from this shouldn't be a problem with copyright)

Jesper Hvid
Permanent Ban
Permanent Ban

Post by Jesper Hvid »

PTRACER wrote:Great! Do you have plenty of space on Benhuset Jesper? We just need to ensure that all the photos we submit to the database are hosted by us (so long as we credit where we get it from this shouldn't be a problem with copyright)
There's so much space left over, that Darth Vader could operate quite frivolously within its outer perimeter, without us even noticing. And should not even that prove sufficient, we can always ask Omi-One Kenobi for help. He owes me one, see...
Motorsportrace
Supreme Member
Supreme Member

Post by Motorsportrace »

PTRACER wrote:- Fatal F1 Crashes (1950-)
I could do that, but we still haven't agreed about what could be an F1 crash.
I've always thought that an F1 crash is a crash which happened during a WDC event (practice, qualifying, warm up or race).
I'd include also a private test, if it was in preparation for a WDC Grand Prix (Bob Anderson was testing his car for the Canadian Grand Prix; Cameron Earl was testing a car just for fun, so he shouldn't be included).
I'd include also the non-championship events with the same rules as WDC events, but that would be difficult: in 1952 and 1953 the WDC was run under F2 rules, so we should include Greifzu and De Tornaco.

So confusing...
Motorsportrace
PTRACER
Forum Administrator
Forum Administrator

Post by PTRACER »

You, myself and Jesper are already taking on big projects so I would like someone else to offer. I will be emailing all users before our 12th Anniversary to see if anyone else is interested, else you can take on that project once our others are completed :)

Fatal F1 Crashes = Any crash which happened at an official WDC Grand Prix weekend. Testing or non-championship events are not included.

Fatal crashes involving F1 drivers in other races = Any driver who participated in the WDC (1950 - ), but were killed in a non-WDC event. For example, Brian McGuire, Bob Anderson, Bruce McLaren, Jo Siffert, Rolf Stommelen, De Tornaco etc. Griefzu wouldn't be included because it was not in a championship Grand Prix.

Motorsportrace
Supreme Member
Supreme Member

Post by Motorsportrace »

PTRACER wrote:You, myself and Jesper are already taking on big projects so I would like someone else to offer. I will be emailing all users before our 12th Anniversary to see if anyone else is interested, else you can take on that project once our others are completed :)
Well... you're right. I haven't done anything recently, it's time to do it again.
PTRACER wrote:Fatal F1 Crashes = Any crash which happened at an official WDC Grand Prix weekend. Testing or non-championship events are not included.

Fatal crashes involving F1 drivers in other races = Any driver who participated in the WDC (1950 - ), but were killed in a non-WDC event. For example, Brian McGuire, Bob Anderson, Bruce McLaren, Jo Siffert, Rolf Stommelen, De Tornaco etc. Griefzu wouldn't be included because it was not in a championship Grand Prix.
Ok, I understand. I've stored all the F1 (championship and non-championship) crashes we have, but if we include only the WDC events, we have all of them.

So we shouldn't include, in the first one, Castellotti (testing accident), Alborghetti (non-championship race), Siffert (non-championship race), etc.?
Motorsportrace
PTRACER
Forum Administrator
Forum Administrator

Post by PTRACER »

Motorsportrace wrote:
PTRACER wrote:You, myself and Jesper are already taking on big projects so I would like someone else to offer. I will be emailing all users before our 12th Anniversary to see if anyone else is interested, else you can take on that project once our others are completed :)
Well... you're right. I haven't done anything recently, it's time to do it again.
You've done so much already, it's fine to take a break! I took a week off and managed around 15 entries today before I got bored.
Motorsportrace wrote:
PTRACER wrote:Fatal F1 Crashes = Any crash which happened at an official WDC Grand Prix weekend. Testing or non-championship events are not included.

Ok, I understand. I've stored all the F1 (championship and non-championship) crashes we have, but if we include only the WDC events, we have all of them.

So we shouldn't include, in the first one, Castellotti (testing accident), Alborghetti (non-championship race), Siffert (non-championship race), etc.?
In the first one, none of those, no.

In the second one, you would include Castellotti and Siffert as they both participated in the WDC, but not Alborghetti as he was never entered into a championship Grand Prix.

A third project will be created for non-WDC drivers like Alborghetti (and I guess drivers like J.P. Wimille)

PLAYLIFE
Favourite Motorsport: Formula 1, MotoGP
Favourite Racing Car: Brabham BT52
Favourite Driver: Tazio Nuvolari, Gilles Villeneuve
Favourite Circuit: Monaco

Post by PLAYLIFE »

Count me in too.
1977-1982
Gli Anni Delle Febbre
Gilles Villeneuve #27
PTRACER
Forum Administrator
Forum Administrator

Post by PTRACER »

PLAYLIFE wrote:Count me in too.
Great! What sort of project do you want to work with? :smiley:

I'll prepare to get you access to the admin side of the database.

PLAYLIFE
Favourite Motorsport: Formula 1, MotoGP
Favourite Racing Car: Brabham BT52
Favourite Driver: Tazio Nuvolari, Gilles Villeneuve
Favourite Circuit: Monaco

Post by PLAYLIFE »

PTRACER wrote:
PLAYLIFE wrote:Count me in too.
Great! What sort of project do you want to work with? :smiley:

I'll prepare to get you access to the admin side of the database.

Cheers.

Most of my resources are Formula 1 and 'Grand Prix' racing pre-1950. I would fathom a guess that they would also include lower formulae series too (e.g. voiturette, f5000 etc.).
1977-1982
Gli Anni Delle Febbre
Gilles Villeneuve #27