The rebirth of the Crash Photos Database

Our pioneering project aims to identify and catalogue every crash photo in racing history. We cannot do it alone, so if you have any spare time, view this forum and sign up to help!
hollie3sa

Post by hollie3sa »

Bottom post of the previous page:

Motorsportrace wrote: 5 years ago I don't think that Autosprint/Motosprint/whatever scans are forbidden... right?
I don't know about other countries. But there's a strict law in Germany:

Let's take a photograph for instance.
The author's right is and remains personal. The photographer/author can sell the right to reproduce the picture (i.e. in a newspaper) while the author's right remaines untouched. He and only he has the legal authority to decide who might use his photograph.
The author's right remains in force for 70 (some exceptions: 50) years after the author's death.
With the death of the photographer, the author's right devolves upon his heirs.
The same goes for newspaper articles as well.

When a newspaper publishes an article/photograph, there's two possibilities:
1. The newspaper itself holds the author's right.
2. The newspaper and the author have concluded a contract that regulates the use/reproduction of said article/photograph.

Anyhow:
Scanning articles surely is not forbidden.
Publishing them is. At least with German articles under German law.

Motorsportrace wrote: 5 years ago Or newspapers finds (though all the newspapers.com stuff we have, was obtained not too legally... :suspicious: ).
I don't see why we would have obtained these articles illegaly. Unless there's a paragraph in their terms of use that explicitly forbids people to save articles without prior registration, we haven't done anything illegal.
We found a way around their insanely sophisticated safety mechanism.

Joke's on us though. We're the ones too stingy to acquire the premium access to their archive.
Motorsportrace
Supreme Member
Supreme Member

Post by Motorsportrace »

hollie3sa wrote: 5 years agoI don't know about other countries. But there's a strict law in Germany:

Let's take a photograph for instance.
The author's right is and remains personal. The photographer/author can sell the right to reproduce the picture (i.e. in a newspaper) while the author's right remaines untouched. He and only he has the legal authority to decide who might use his photograph.
The author's right remains in force for 70 (some exceptions: 50) years after the author's death.
With the death of the photographer, the author's right devolves upon his heirs.
The same goes for newspaper articles as well.

When a newspaper publishes an article/photograph, there's two possibilities:
1. The newspaper itself holds the author's right.
2. The newspaper and the author have concluded a contract that regulates the use/reproduction of said article/photograph.

Anyhow:
Scanning articles surely is not forbidden.
Publishing them is. At least with German articles under German law.
I didn't know that. I think it's quite similar in other countries as well.
hollie3sa wrote: 5 years ago I don't see why we would have obtained these articles illegaly. Unless there's a paragraph in their terms of use that explicitly forbids people to save articles without prior registration, we haven't done anything illegal.
We found a way around their insanely sophisticated safety mechanism.

Joke's on us though. We're the ones too stingy to acquire the premium access to their archive.
You know: we haven't paid for them. I think it's quite obvious we should have.
And yes: I'm really too tightfisted to buy an account there. If there's a free way to obtain stuff we want, well, let's keep on... :suspicious:
Motorsportrace
PTRACER
Forum Administrator
Forum Administrator
Favourite Motorsport: Formula 1
Favourite Racing Car: Lotus 49
Favourite Driver: Gilles Villeneuve, James Hunt
Favourite Circuit: Nordschleife
Car(s) Currently Owned: Mitsubishi Lancer Evo X JDM

Post by PTRACER »

So we got linked to on Reddit with the Gordon Smiley crash, so we had a ton of people viewing the CPdB. It's starting to feel like a regular resource now, it's definitely getting around.

In terms of my own projects I have a year's worth of British crash posts to document now before I can move back to something else.
Developer of the 1967v3 Historic Mod for Grand Prix Legends: viewtopic.php?t=17429

King of the Race Track, Destroyer of Tyres, Breaker of Lap Records
mattia2
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Favourite Motorsport: Motogp and WSBK + everythin classic
Favourite Racing Car: Lotus 98T
Favourite Driver: Kevin Schwantz
Favourite Circuit: VIR

Post by mattia2 »

PTRACER wrote: 5 years ago So we got linked to on Reddit with the Gordon Smiley crash, so we had a ton of people viewing the CPdB. It's starting to feel like a regular resource now, it's definitely getting around.

In terms of my own projects I have a year's worth of British crash posts to document now before I can move back to something else.
It is @PTRACER , on my Facebook page i always recommend using the CPDB, it's just the best source for photos on the internet.
PTRACER
Forum Administrator
Forum Administrator
Favourite Motorsport: Formula 1
Favourite Racing Car: Lotus 49
Favourite Driver: Gilles Villeneuve, James Hunt
Favourite Circuit: Nordschleife
Car(s) Currently Owned: Mitsubishi Lancer Evo X JDM

Post by PTRACER »

mattia2 wrote: 5 years ago
PTRACER wrote: 5 years ago So we got linked to on Reddit with the Gordon Smiley crash, so we had a ton of people viewing the CPdB. It's starting to feel like a regular resource now, it's definitely getting around.

It is @PTRACER , on my Facebook page i always recommend using the CPDB, it's just the best source for photos on the internet.
What’s your FB page?
Developer of the 1967v3 Historic Mod for Grand Prix Legends: viewtopic.php?t=17429

King of the Race Track, Destroyer of Tyres, Breaker of Lap Records
mattia2
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Favourite Motorsport: Motogp and WSBK + everythin classic
Favourite Racing Car: Lotus 98T
Favourite Driver: Kevin Schwantz
Favourite Circuit: VIR

Post by mattia2 »

PTRACER wrote: 5 years ago
mattia2 wrote: 5 years ago

What’s your FB page?
Yellow Flag Talks, a small project i've started with some italian users of this forum 2 years ago. Now we have around 8000 likes, and from today we write also for an italian motorsport site. I've encoutered @sadsac in the comments, so it's also known by someone of you :)
sadsac
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Favourite Motorsport: all of them
Favourite Racing Car: 1990 Ferrari 640 F1
Favourite Driver: Ayrton Senna
Favourite Circuit: Spa
Car(s) Currently Owned: Seat Arona FR ,Skoda Fabia VRS

Post by sadsac »

Yes mattia2's FB page Yellow Flag Talks is a great page with some good pics
would recommend it