Italian Circuits Fatalities

Our pioneering project aims to identify and catalogue every crash photo in racing history. We cannot do it alone, so if you have any spare time, view this forum and sign up to help!
Motorsportrace
Supreme Member
Supreme Member

Post by Motorsportrace »

Bottom post of the previous page:

Sedre wrote: 2 years agoPier Paolo Garagnani, one of our editors, found a newspaper which confirms that Peri was not killed in this accident and where the surname of the deceased mechanic was reported to be Campana. If you're interested, I can ask him to provide me with this newspaper.
Don't worry: I trust that source.
I'm actually looking for pictures and/or videos about these fatalities.
It will be an enormous task (and I won't be able to find anything for a lot of them), but I'll still try.
Motorsportrace
Sedre
Advanced Member
Advanced Member

Post by Sedre »

@Motorsportrace

I found a new accident that happened in Italy during 1993 Mille Miglia: Dutch driver Rob van Slijpe was killed on 16 May 1993 during the last stage of the race, crashing and rolling his Bugatti. I already created a Motorsport Memorial page and now I'm waiting when it will be available online. Maybe you can find photos of the accident.

Accident happened about 20 km from Brescia. Van Slijpe died in Brescia hospital during the night and his wife, who co-driving him, was badly injured.
Motorsportrace
Supreme Member
Supreme Member

Post by Motorsportrace »

Sedre wrote: 2 years ago @Motorsportrace

I found a new accident that happened in Italy during 1993 Mille Miglia: Dutch driver Rob van Slijpe was killed on 16 May 1993 during the last stage of the race, crashing and rolling his Bugatti. I already created a Motorsport Memorial page and now I'm waiting when it will be available online. Maybe you can find photos of the accident.

Accident happened about 20 km from Brescia. Van Slijpe died in Brescia hospital during the night and his wife, who co-driving him, was badly injured.
Thanks for the information, I'll add him to the list.
Motorsportrace
Sedre
Advanced Member
Advanced Member

Post by Sedre »

Motorsportrace wrote: 2 years ago

MM entry is already done:
http://www.motorsportmemorial.org/focus ... ct&n=13989
Motorsportrace
Supreme Member
Supreme Member

Post by Motorsportrace »

Sedre wrote: 2 years ago

MM entry is already done:
http://www.motorsportmemorial.org/focus ... ct&n=13989
Great!
I've added him to the list.
Motorsportrace
Motorsportrace
Supreme Member
Supreme Member

Post by Motorsportrace »

EDIT: See first post.
Last edited by Motorsportrace 2 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
Motorsportrace
Sedre
Advanced Member
Advanced Member

Post by Sedre »

@Motorsportrace

I found one more fatal accident happened in Italy - French rally competitor Paul Delaye was killed in Novara (Piedmont) while taking a recce for 1958 Coupe des Alpes. I did not find exact date of accident/death, it happened either in late June or early July. MM page is created but is not online yet.

Delaye participated in 1956 Rallye Monte-Carlo and 1957 Tour de Corse with Jean Rolland, who would be killed in 1967 at Montlhery.
Motorsportrace
Supreme Member
Supreme Member

Post by Motorsportrace »

I found one more fatal accident happened in Italy - French rally competitor Paul Delaye was killed in Novara (Piedmont) while taking a recce for 1958 Coupe des Alpes. I did not find exact date of accident/death, it happened either in late June or early July. MM page is created but is not online yet.

Delaye participated in 1956 Rallye Monte-Carlo and 1957 Tour de Corse with Jean Rolland, who would be killed in 1967 at Montlhery.
Thanks for the information.
I'll add him to the list as soon as possible.
Motorsportrace
hollie3sa

Post by hollie3sa »

https://www.ewrc-results.com/profile/18 ... ul-delaye/

This guy who, supposedly, was in the entry list for the 1961 Rallye du Mont-Blanc?
Sedre
Advanced Member
Advanced Member

Post by Sedre »

hollie3sa wrote: 2 years ago

This guy who, supposedly, was in the entry list for the 1961 Rallye du Mont-Blanc?
Weird enough, but I believe that there is some mistake with Rolland and Delaye being participants of 1961 Rallye du Mont-Blanc. This is posting on Forum-Auto from guy who seems to be expert on Rolland's life and career and who questions about this results as he did not find any evidence that Rolland participated in 1961 Mont-Blanc:

https://forum-auto.caradisiac.com/topic ... t=38860001

BTW, this guy's posting helped me to find information about Delaye's accident.

One page on MyHeritage also show Paul Delaye from Digne-les-Bains (same town as Rolland) who died in 1958 in Novara.

I tried to find any information about 1961 Rallye Mont-Blanc but Swiss newspaper archive as well as French Sud Ouest and Gallica show nothing. Maybe rally was not even held this year.
Sedre
Advanced Member
Advanced Member

Post by Sedre »

Sedre wrote: 2 years ago
hollie3sa wrote: 2 years ago

Weird enough, but I believe that there is some mistake with Rolland and Delaye being participants of 1961 Rallye du Mont-Blanc. This is posting on Forum-Auto from guy who seems to be expert on Rolland's life and career and who questions about this results as he did not find any evidence that Rolland participated in 1961 Mont-Blanc:

https://forum-auto.caradisiac.com/topic ... t=38860001

BTW, this guy's posting helped me to find information about Delaye's accident.

One page on MyHeritage also show Paul Delaye from Digne-les-Bains (same town as Rolland) who died in 1958 in Novara.

I tried to find any information about 1961 Rallye Mont-Blanc but Swiss newspaper archive as well as French Sud Ouest and Gallica show nothing. Maybe rally was not even held this year.
Nanni Dietrich found information about this accident in La Stampa newspaper: on the afternoon of Monday, 23 June 1958, Delaye with Gabriel Augias as co-driver were driving a Peugeot when they spun onto the opposite lane and were T-boned by private Fiat 1900. It happened near the village of Balocco (Vercelli province). Delaye died in Novara hospital, Augias and four occupants of the private car were hospitalized.

That means that information about Delaye's win in 1961 Rallye Mont-Blanc is incorrect.

Soon his page will be completely updated:
http://www.motorsportmemorial.org/focus ... ct&n=14031
Sedre
Advanced Member
Advanced Member

Post by Sedre »

There is one more Italian fatality, this time found by our Pier Paolo Garagnani: driver Gualtiero Piaggi had a fatal accident during recce before 1979 Rally 111 Minuti. It happened on 15 October 1979. I'll add link to his page when it will be online.

Update: http://www.motorsportmemorial.org/focus ... ct&n=14046
Motorsportrace
Supreme Member
Supreme Member

Post by Motorsportrace »

Sedre wrote: 2 years ago There is one more Italian fatality, this time found by our Pier Paolo Garagnani: driver Gualtiero Piaggi had a fatal accident during recce before 1979 Rally 111 Minuti. It happened on 15 October 1979. I'll add link to his page when it will be online.

Update: http://www.motorsportmemorial.org/focus ... ct&n=14046
Thanks for the latest additions.
I'll add them to my list as soon as I can.
Motorsportrace
Motorsportrace
Supreme Member
Supreme Member

Post by Motorsportrace »

EDIT: See first post.
Last edited by Motorsportrace 2 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
Motorsportrace
Sedre
Advanced Member
Advanced Member

Post by Sedre »

@Motorsportrace

I doubt that there would be any pics on this accident as it happened during private tests but still:

Andrea Sternieri, 2008, Casa Sternieri (T.I.M. Cross Motor Club HQ)

http://motorsportmemorial.org/focus.php?db=ct&n=14116
Motorsportrace
Supreme Member
Supreme Member

Post by Motorsportrace »

I doubt that there would be any pics on this accident as it happened during private tests but still:

Andrea Sternieri, 2008, Casa Sternieri (T.I.M. Cross Motor Club HQ)

http://motorsportmemorial.org/focus.php?db=ct&n=14116
It happened near his house, in his family's "farm" (I don't know how to say that in English.
His car's gearbox exploded, and some metal splinters pierced and killed him, so I even doubt the car had actual external (and visible) damage at all.

Never say never, though.
Motorsportrace