Your own circuit designs (Modified real circuits!)

Current motorsport related news, information and discussion on any series that does not fit in the above or below categories
PTRACER
Forum Administrator
Forum Administrator
Favourite Motorsport: Formula 1
Favourite Racing Car: Lotus 49
Favourite Driver: Gilles Villeneuve, James Hunt
Favourite Circuit: Nordschleife
Car(s) Currently Owned: Mitsubishi Lancer Evo X JDM

Your own circuit designs (Modified real circuits!)

Post by PTRACER »

If you could change any modern, or old circuit, especially ones designed by Tilke, what would it be like?

Post your designs here :smiley: Here's my Shanghai. I got rid of the awful corners, and made the hairpins better for overtaking. I also added a chicane, where overtaking would also be possible. The corner going onto the main straight is now more open on the entry, allowing for better speed going onto the straight. The corners are smooth at the apex, rather than pointy.

It's pretty simple, but I didn't want to make it too complex. It's now a lot faster, there's not really any mickey mouse bits, and I reckon that would be a fun track in real life :smiley: What do you think?

Revisions

1. Turn 1 is now a hairpin which goes into a smooth left hander, rather than that awful thing that was there before.
2. I've made the next hairpin a constant corner - I've rounded it off.
3. I added a little chicane after the hairpin - it's not tight and slow, though.
4. I've got rid of the tight esses going into a silly double 90 degree left hander, and just made it one long corner going into a 70 degree left hander or so.
5. The bit going onto the straight is much faster and much more fun and challenging. It now goes into one very long right hander which you could carry a lot of speed into.
6. I've rounded off the last hairpin.
7. I've made the corner going onto the straight a smooth, fast left hander.

I tried the track on NR2003, and the problems with it were that there was very few places where you could put your foot down and go really quickly. Most of the corners were terribly slow and boring and tight. Without traction control, I couldn't keep the car on the track because I took most corners in 1st gear with full lock on the wheel.
Last edited by PTRACER 18 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
Developer of the 1967v3 Historic Mod for Grand Prix Legends: viewtopic.php?t=17429

King of the Race Track, Destroyer of Tyres, Breaker of Lap Records
Duggie
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by Duggie »

Simple, I'd change Hockenheim back the to the way it was before Tilke got his hands on it. What was wrong with it anyway? So what if the drivers thought it was boring? It was fun to watch, and they are supposed to entertain the fans!

(Obviously I didn't draw the pick!)
PTRACER
Forum Administrator
Forum Administrator

Post by PTRACER »

Completely agree. You know how many fatalities there were at the Hockenheimring? 10. That was from 1951 to 2001/2, whenever we lost the old circuit. The last one was in 1987, and the guy was run over after he'd got out of his car. :sorrow:

Still, with a circuit like that, you'd expect much more deaths than there were.
Developer of the 1967v3 Historic Mod for Grand Prix Legends: viewtopic.php?t=17429

Corsair
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Corsair »

I had a try at Bahrain and this is what I got:
Revisions:
1. Made the Turn One complex one single corner.
2. Made the first hairpin not as tight.
3. Made turn five (second hairpin) not as tight.
4. Turned turn six and seven into one big corner.
5. Changed turn 10 a lot. Made it one long corner instead of the really tight one.
6. Smoothed out the final corner.
DoubleFault
Legendary Member
Legendary Member

Post by DoubleFault »

So circuits suck, mainly the Hungaroring, so here is my proposal:

The normal start finish straight, but that goes into a small chicane, mirror to the old nurburgring (around year 1995-2000?) it then goes onto a small straight with a right-hander that gets tighter through the corner, a possible overtaking place for a braver driver. When you exit the corner you go onto a straight with a kink in it, and then back onto the original circuit for a bit! When you follow through the left/right/left/right of the old circuit, you go for a full left rather than the left right chicane, another possible overtaking spot! This is a very fast section and leads into a tight braking area that is another possible overtaking section, and the corner is very similar to a corner at shanghai, and it opens out towards the end, onto another straight with possible slipstreaming, and overtaking at the end. This circuit is designed to have a lot of straights, but also a mix of slow and fast corners. And if Sato races it, we will see overtaking, or a good crash!
PTRACER
Forum Administrator
Forum Administrator

Post by PTRACER »

I've copied your post over Chris, I hope that's ok.

DoubleFault
Legendary Member
Legendary Member

Post by DoubleFault »

Thank you, thats great!
aerogi
Advanced Member
Advanced Member

Post by aerogi »

Here's a track I've drawn a long time ago that would give the F1drivers something to think about... :P

http://www.phpbbplanet.com/aerogi/index ... rum=aerogi , the 2nd best motorsport forum of the world! :)
aerogi
Advanced Member
Advanced Member

Post by aerogi »

Here's another one.

The 'DNA'-structure should give the opportunity to have some interesting moments I think... if two are chasing each other, then they can dive both into the same section, or each apart, and then it would be interesting to see who comes out first, who took the most risks into that corner section and who dares the most when both coming out simultanously into the straight...Off course everything has been calculated that both ways are equal... :lol:

It might be not 'real' overtaking, but currently when one goes to the pits, and the other one stays on track, it gives sometimes very 'interesting' moments when one coming from the straight and the other coming out the pits...

http://www.phpbbplanet.com/aerogi/index ... rum=aerogi , the 2nd best motorsport forum of the world! :)
PTRACER
Forum Administrator
Forum Administrator

Post by PTRACER »

lol, very interesting designs :shock:

PTRACER
Forum Administrator
Forum Administrator

Post by PTRACER »

Here's my Bahrain:

Revisions

1. I've got rid of the first corner completely and replaced it with a chicane, not unlike the old Hella Licht at the Österreichring back in the late-1980s :)
2. I've revised the sweeping esses to make them much faster, much less tighter, and a little less silly.
3. I've made the next hairpin a more rounded corner. If you view onboard footage, it comes to a angled point at the apex. Silly design! Mine's better :P
4. Some people may have liked the fast left hander that tightens into a low speed 120 degree corner, but I didn't, so I replaced it with another long hairpin.
5. Further round the lap, I have made the second to last corner more rounded. If you watch onboard footage, you'll see it tightens a little on entry, then has a sharp apex, then opens up on the exit. I've just made it one long hairpin right.
6. I have done the same with the last corner, making it a lot smoother, with a long apex.

What do you think? :wave:

SB
Advanced Member
Advanced Member

Post by SB »

Don't fit in the topic, but thought I post it here.

A german mag asked three World Champs for Design of an Racetrack:

Here's the result :

Mika Häkkinnen

Michael Schumacher

Jacques Villeneuve
Swen
http://www.gplracer.eu/ = GPL65 GPL 66 and TC's / My GPL Rank
Corsair
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Corsair »

Out of those three I liked Schumi's the best.
Villeneuve's was horrible, looks just like a go-kart track.
PTRACER
Forum Administrator
Forum Administrator

Post by PTRACER »

They all look pretty awful to me :oops:

groubite
Silver Member
Silver Member
Favourite Racing Car: Ferrari 330 P4
Favourite Driver: Willy Mairesse
Favourite Circuit: Spa-Francorchamps, Belgium

Post by groubite »

Aerogi, I very much like your designs. They're great. You should seriously think about promoting them to the FIA! Particularly the second one is very innovative. Imagine that for a second. But tell me, in which country would you like to see those tracks build?