[F2/F3/Super Formula etc] 2020 Junior Formula Series discussion

Current motorsport related news, information and discussion on any series that does not fit in the above or below categories
Everso Biggyballies
Legendary Member
Legendary Member
Favourite Motorsport: Anything that goes left and right.
Favourite Racing Car: Too Many to mention
Favourite Driver: Kimi,Niki,Jim(none called Michael)
Favourite Circuit: Nordschleife, Spa, Mt Panorama.
Car(s) Currently Owned: Audi SQ5 3.0L V6 TwinTurbo
Location: Just moved 3 klms further away so now 11 klms from Albert Park, Melbourne.

[F2/F3/Super Formula etc] 2020 Junior Formula Series discussion

Post by Everso Biggyballies »

We should probably have a 2020 thread for the Junior open wheel formulae so here it is.....

The F3 support race 1 at the Austrian GP saw a 1&3 podium for Australia. Piastri was the winner, but only after a stroke of luck at T1 when he got sandwiched and when Fernandez turned in from the outside, contact launching the Zendeliinto retirement and also knocking Piastri into Zendeli.

Piastri survived, luckily as there were marks on both sides of the car and the wing and everywhere, but nothing was broken, nothing was bent. He took the race 1 win from Sargeant with Aussie Peroni 3rd.

Race 1 for F2 is currently underway and with 5 to go Illot is leading fairly comfortably but a nose to tail stream from 2nd to 5th is turning into a good ding dong with all but 2nd place Armstrong getting DRS. Alesi is in 6th. Schu Jnr was running in 2nd dicing with Illot but had an issue and dropped to the bottom of the top 10.

* I started life with nothing, and still have most of it left

“Good drivers have dead flies on the side windows!” (Walter Röhrl)

* I married Miss Right. Just didn't know her first name was Always
MonteCristo
Favourite Motorsport: Openwheel
Favourite Racing Car: Tyrrell P34/Protos
Favourite Driver: JV
Favourite Circuit: Road America

Post by MonteCristo »

Honestly, never thought I'd see the day when we'd see four Australians in the same European F3 series.

It's like something out of the 70s. And even then I doubt there were ever four at one time!

Bodes well for the future.
Oscar Piastri in F1! Catch the fever! Vettel Hate Club. Life membership.

2012 GTP Non-Championship Champion | 2012 Guess the Kai-Star Half Marathon Time Champion | 2018 GTP Champion | 2019 GTP Champion
Everso Biggyballies
Legendary Member
Legendary Member
Location: Just moved 3 klms further away so now 11 klms from Albert Park, Melbourne.

MonteCristo wrote: 3 years ago Honestly, never thought I'd see the day when we'd see four Australians in the same European F3 series.

It's like something out of the 70s. And even then I doubt there were ever four at one time!

We had 4 a few years in the 1970's. 1971 we had Dave Walker as Champion (in the Gold Leaf Lotus F3 car), but also Alan Jones, Alan McCully, and Brian McGuire. Larry Perkins was a couple of years later (plus his brother Terry) Richard Hawkins was a front runner for a few years, Brett Riley, Geoff Brabham, Chris Farrell.... Throw in some notable Kiwis like Mike Thackwell, Rob Wilson and others, and downunder had a good number of runners in the British F3 Championship, which was basically the main title in F3 back then, nd the one title that mattered most if a driver wanted to go all the way to F1.
Last edited by Everso Biggyballies 3 years ago, edited 1 time in total.

MonteCristo
Favourite Motorsport: Openwheel
Favourite Racing Car: Tyrrell P34/Protos
Favourite Driver: JV
Favourite Circuit: Road America

Post by MonteCristo »

Everso Biggyballies wrote: 3 years ago
MonteCristo wrote: 3 years ago Honestly, never thought I'd see the day when we'd see four Australians in the same European F3 series.

We had 4 a few years in the 1970's. 1971 we had Dave Walker as Champion (in the Gold Leaf Lotus F3 car), but also Alan Jones, Alan McCully, and Brian McGuire. Larry Perkins was a couple of years later (plus his brother Terry) Richard Hawkins was a front runner for a few years, Brett Riley, Geoff Brabham, Chris Farrell.... Throw in some notable Kiwis like Mike Thackwell, Rob Wilson and others, and downunder had a good number of runners in the British F3 Championship, which was basically the main title in F3 back then.
Oh well, history repeating itself then! Well before my time, so thanks for the history lesson :thumbsup:.
Oscar Piastri in F1! Catch the fever! Vettel Hate Club. Life membership.

2012 GTP Non-Championship Champion | 2012 Guess the Kai-Star Half Marathon Time Champion | 2018 GTP Champion | 2019 GTP Champion
PTRACER
Forum Administrator
Forum Administrator
Favourite Motorsport: Formula 1
Favourite Racing Car: Lotus 49
Favourite Driver: Gilles Villeneuve, James Hunt
Favourite Circuit: Nordschleife
Car(s) Currently Owned: Mitsubishi Lancer Evo X JDM

Post by PTRACER »

So, the F2 races in Austria were so so. Not many collisions, fairly clean in fact for a junior formula. What I was surprised by were the technical failures...I expected more reliability than that.
Developer of the 1967v3 Historic Mod for Grand Prix Legends: viewtopic.php?t=17429

King of the Race Track, Destroyer of Tyres, Breaker of Lap Records
Cheeveer
Favourite Racing Car: Panoz GTR1
Favourite Driver: Alex Zanardi
Favourite Circuit: Bathurst

Post by Cheeveer »

Same. The racing in F3 was a lot better also.
***Some say you should live each day like it was your last... but who wants to live each day in wild panic and extreme death anxiety?

The universe, look at the hugeness of it... it is a dizzying thought that little ol' me is the centre of it all!***
John
Ultimate Member
Ultimate Member

Post by John »

We had 4 a few years in the 1970's. 1971 we had Dave Walker as Champion (in the Gold Leaf Lotus F3 car), but also Alan Jones, Alan McCully, and Brian McGuire. Larry Perkins was a couple of years later (plus his brother Terry) Richard Hawkins was a front runner for a few years, Brett Riley, Geoff Brabham, Chris Farrell.... Throw in some notable Kiwis like Mike Thackwell, Rob Wilson and others, and downunder had a good number of runners in the British F3 Championship, which was basically the main title in F3 back then, nd the one title that mattered most if a driver wanted to go all the way to F1.
Mike Thackwell! One of the big "what-if's" in F1 history. Runs a pub in England these days I think.
2018 GTP Accuracy champion.

CEREAL IS A SOUP.
Everso Biggyballies
Legendary Member
Legendary Member

John wrote: 3 years ago [
Mike Thackwell! One of the big "what-if's" in F1 history. Runs a pub in England these days I think.
I know a number of years ago he had a helicopter business.... a sort of one man band thing. He also has a mentally handicapped son who I believe he has now devotes time too. Not sure about the pub thing, although I know he is UK based now.

Everso Biggyballies
Legendary Member
Legendary Member

John wrote: 3 years ago [
I know a number of years ago he had a helicopter business.... a sort of one man band thing. He also has a mentally handicapped son who I believe he has now devoted all his time too. Not sure about the pub thing, although I know he is UK based now.
Oh by the way it is not a pub he runs but a second hand surfboard/skateboard shop.
His sister Lisa is/was married to David Brabham

A good read is this article about him from a very rare interview I think earlier this year. Tells why he walked away from F1 and all the poseurs he hated.

https://www.goodwood.com/grr/race/histo ... otorsport/

Another https://www.motorsportmagazine.com/arch ... thackwells

This is from his brother posted on the Nostalgia Forum. Its from about 10 years ago....
Speaking to my brother Michael this morning he asked me to send in a reply to rumours that he runs a pub in England. He is at present running a second hand skateboard / surf shop on the South Coast of England, not a Pub as often quoted. He spends his time surfing, skateboarding and free climbing in the French and Swiss Alps when finance allows as well as smoking a hell of a lot of good weed ( His words not mine ) and in general enjoying life. To see him paddle out in out of control big waves by himself or to have a weeklong session smoking primo weed with Mick while discussing world affairs is to understand why he had to move on from Motorsport. Hoping the above sheds some light on my brother who is also the best crew I know. The pictures of Mick on this site I will be showing to him as soon as I return from my next stint as a deckhand on Crabbers in the English Channel as there were some classics.

Kerry Thackwell
https://forums.autosport.com/topic/9331 ... the-truth/

Everso Biggyballies
Legendary Member
Legendary Member

It seems the F2 boys are getting ready to race..... a bit later than scheduled thanks to the F1 qualy delay.

News is Markelov wont take the start as he went off on the out lap. Otherwise they are now all lined up on the grid waiting for the start process. It looks like the SC is ahead of the grid so maybe an SC start is the order of the day.

We are showing a line of orange lights atm so I guess they will clear the grid shortly and get things underway.

EDIT: Now clearing the grid, and the only people left are those holding the umbrellas over the drivers. And they are going now......

PTRACER
Forum Administrator
Forum Administrator

Post by PTRACER »

I posted a stream link, let's see how it goes. Probably an SC start?
Developer of the 1967v3 Historic Mod for Grand Prix Legends: viewtopic.php?t=17429

Everso Biggyballies
Legendary Member
Legendary Member

Yep SC is leading them off on a formation lap now.... dont know if he will come in straightaway or do a few acclimatisation laps. we will see soon.

Everso Biggyballies
Legendary Member
Legendary Member

SC is doing another lap in front, although the laps done now will come off the original race tally.

Everso Biggyballies
Legendary Member
Legendary Member

Race control are saying 'multiple formation laps'.... they must have done 5 now. Lets go racing FFS.

PTRACER
Forum Administrator
Forum Administrator

Post by PTRACER »

Everso Biggyballies wrote: 3 years ago SC is doing another lap in front, although the laps done now will come off the original race tally.
It looks like they will be circulating behind this for a long time, I wonder if there will even be a proper race. It looks way wetter now than it did in qualifying.