2019 Macau Weekend

Current motorsport related news, information and discussion on any series that does not fit in the above or below categories
erwin greven
Staff
Staff
Favourite Motorsport: Endurance Racing
Favourite Racing Car: Lancia Delta 038 S4 Group B
Favourite Driver: Ronnie Peterson
Favourite Circuit: Nuerburgring Nordschleife
Car(s) Currently Owned: Peugeot 206 SW Air-Line 3 2007

2019 Macau Weekend

Post by erwin greven »

Onboard with Sophie Flörsch
Brian Redman: "Mr. Fangio, how do you come so fast?" "More throttle, less brakes...."
Everso Biggyballies
Legendary Member
Legendary Member
Favourite Motorsport: Anything that goes left and right.
Favourite Racing Car: Too Many to mention
Favourite Driver: Kimi,Niki,Jim(none called Michael)
Favourite Circuit: Nordschleife, Spa, Mt Panorama.
Car(s) Currently Owned: Audi SQ5 3.0L V6 TwinTurbo
Location: Just moved 3 klms further away so now 11 klms from Albert Park, Melbourne.

Post by Everso Biggyballies »

erwin greven wrote: 4 years ago Onboard with Sophie Flörsch
Good to see her back after last years huge shunt.... and she was giving it plenty too. :thumbsup:

* I started life with nothing, and still have most of it left

“Good drivers have dead flies on the side windows!” (Walter Röhrl)

* I married Miss Right. Just didn't know her first name was Always
John
Ultimate Member
Ultimate Member

Post by John »

The sensation of speed at Macau is insane.
2018 GTP Accuracy champion.

CEREAL IS A SOUP.
PTRACER
Forum Administrator
Forum Administrator
Favourite Motorsport: Formula 1
Favourite Racing Car: Lotus 49
Favourite Driver: Gilles Villeneuve, James Hunt
Favourite Circuit: Nordschleife
Car(s) Currently Owned: Mitsubishi Lancer Evo X JDM

Post by PTRACER »

John wrote: 4 years ago The sensation of speed at Macau is insane.
285km/h+ along that straight. F3 cars are becoming a little too quick.
Developer of the 1967v3 Historic Mod for Grand Prix Legends: viewtopic.php?t=17429

King of the Race Track, Destroyer of Tyres, Breaker of Lap Records
erwin greven
Staff
Staff

Post by erwin greven »

Brian Redman: "Mr. Fangio, how do you come so fast?" "More throttle, less brakes...."
Michkov
Advanced Member
Advanced Member

Post by Michkov »

Stumbled across an old F1 demo run around the circuit yesterday.

https://twitter.com/CrystalRacing/statu ... 4897088512

Not coasting around either.
MonteCristo
Favourite Motorsport: Openwheel
Favourite Racing Car: Tyrrell P34/Protos
Favourite Driver: JV
Favourite Circuit: Road America

Post by MonteCristo »

Michkov wrote: 4 years ago Stumbled across an old F1 demo run around the circuit yesterday.

https://twitter.com/CrystalRacing/statu ... 4897088512

Not coasting around either.
Magnificent! Never seen that before.

Those engines...
Oscar Piastri in F1! Catch the fever! Vettel Hate Club. Life membership.

2012 GTP Non-Championship Champion | 2012 Guess the Kai-Star Half Marathon Time Champion | 2018 GTP Champion | 2019 GTP Champion
Everso Biggyballies
Legendary Member
Legendary Member
Location: Just moved 3 klms further away so now 11 klms from Albert Park, Melbourne.

I seem to remember that when they did this (at the 50th anniversary meeting back in 2003) that Ralf Firman (driving) said even with a Monaco steering rack fitted the only way round the hairpin was to drop the clutch and give it some revs to get the back end out to enable an F1 car to actually get round the corner. The track layout which other than relocating the pits remains unchanged since the first race in the fifties. I seem to recall some laps needed a three point turn if the entry line was not wide enough

To show how tight the hairpin is....

BTW the event website is showing a live stream link for the events. (Note there are two stream links, one for Asia Pacific and one for rest of the world. Links here to both.

https://www.macau.grandprix.gov.mo/en/live

The website is also a good source of results and updates is also a good source of updates.

https://www.macau.grandprix.gov.mo/en/

Here is a replay of F3 qualy earlier.

erwin greven
Staff
Staff

Post by erwin greven »

Macau Friday Notebook

René de Boer’s first notebook from the FIA GT World Cup paddock in Macau…

***Following Sophia Floersch’s serious accident in last year’s Formula 3 race at Macau, an FIA investigation has looked into the safety of the track and several modifications have been carried out to the 6.12 km street circuit.

***In Turns 1 (Reservoir), 2 (Mandarin), 3 (Lisboa) and 4 (San Francisco), the barriers have been realigned and Safer Barriers were installed at Reservoir and Mandarin. Additional barriers were put in place at Turn 5 (Hospital). In the final part of the track, the barriers at Turn 20 (Fisherman’s Bend) were put back by two meters. Moreover, the so-called ‘photographers’ bunker’ at Lisboa Bend has been removed.

***An accident by Kevin Estre in the No. 912 Absolute Racing Porsche 911 GT3 R in Free Practice 2 saw a lending hand from both ROWE Racing and Porsche mechanics to repair the car in time for qualifying. The Frenchman is set to roll off the grid in 14th.

“Fifteen minutes after the start of the qualifying my car was back on its wheels,” Estre said. “Unfortunately there were still a few components on the vehicle that didn’t work perfectly. Under these circumstances, I couldn’t achieve more. I hope I can still work my way up the order in the qualifying race.”

***Several high-ranking representatives of the brands represented in the FIA GT World Cup are on-site in Macau. For Audi, head of customer racing Chris Reinke and Martin Kühl, head of Audi motorsport in Asia, are present. For Mercedes-AMG, head of customer racing, Stefan Wendl, has made the trip. Porsche has its head of motorsport Fritz Enzinger, also head of motorsport of the Volkswagen Group, as well as head of factory motorsport Pascal Zurlinden, GT3 R project leader Sebastian Golz and Alex Gibot, Porsche Asia director of motorsport on-site. BMW, meanwhile, has limited its presence to technical and PR staff from the company’s headquarters.

***Stephane Ratel, whose eponymous organization is working together with the FIA and SRO in the running of the World Cup, is present as well.

***Like earlier this season for their title-winning campaign in the IMSA WeatherTech SportsCar Championship, Porsche drivers Earl Bamber and Laurens Vanthoor produced a limited-edition T-shirt for their participation in Macau with their ‘#Bamthor’ trademark. The run of 50 t-shirts quickly sold out.

***Two-time 24 Hours of Le Mans winner Manuel Reuter is present in the Macau paddock on duty as sporting director of German GT team HCB Rutronik, which is running Kelvin van der Linde’s Audi R8 LMS GT3 Evo. Somewhat surprisingly, it is Reuter’s first visit to Macau.

“When I raced Formula 3, my team boss Bertram Schaefer wouldn’t let me race here because he thought I was too young and too inexperienced,” Reuter said. “It really is a special place.”

***The HCB Rutronik team took part in the GT race at Macau in 2016 and 2017 with gentlemen drivers ‘Tommy Tulpe’, the team owner, and Fabian Plentz. In 2017, the team first got factory support from Audi Sport customer racing with Lucas Di Grassi and ran Christopher Haase at Macau last year.

***The team’s main program this year was in ADAC GT Masters, where it ran two Audis for Patric Niederhauser/Kelvin van der Linde and Dennis Marshall/Carrie Schreiner. Van der Linde and Niederhauser won the drivers’ title while the outfit won the teams’ championship in its maiden season in the series.

***Macau-based scale model car brand Spark is the primary sponsor on Absolute Racing’s two Porsche 911 GT3 Rs. Company owner Hugo Rippert is a keen hobby racer himself and has enjoyed a long-term commercial partnership with several drivers, including Estre.

***Scale models of the Absolute Racing Porsches racing this weekend are already available at the Spark sales booth at the outside of the Macau paddock, where the brand’s high-quality scale models in various sizes are in great demand.

A display case with all the 1:43 scale models of the various GT cars that have raced at Macau over the years is a real eye-catcher. Several drivers are scheduled to sign autographs during the weekend, including Porsche pairing Estre and Alexandre Impertori and Mercedes driver Maro Engel.
https://sportscar365.com/other-series/g ... otebook-4/
Andy
Supreme Member
Supreme Member
Favourite Motorsport: 2 & 3 Wheeling
Favourite Racing Car: Bike ;) - Yamaha YZR 500
Favourite Driver: Justin 'Weeman' Collins
Favourite Circuit: Isle of Man - Mountain Course
Car(s) Currently Owned: M'cycle ;) - Yamaha FZS 600

Post by Andy »

PTRACER wrote: 4 years ago
John wrote: 4 years ago The sensation of speed at Macau is insane.
285km/h+ along that straight. F3 cars are becoming a little too quick.
I didn't see top speeds by the bikes but a quick calc with Peter Hickmans pole time of 2:25.1 min (for the calc I used 2:25 just) resulted in an average speed of 151.94 km/h, or 94.4 mph on the lap around the Guia circuit. Given that you can't do 150 km/h past Lisboa the top speeds on the stretch between Fisherman's and Lisboa must be quite impressive as well, to say the the least
"Those who risk nothing, do nothing, achieve nothing, become nothing" - David Jefferies
Ian-S
Legendary Member
Legendary Member

Post by Ian-S »

Words, I have none:

I am very sorry if you find my posts long and boring, I like to type and often go off on a tangent.
If this is the case, you may click here to solve the problem, or alternatively here too.
Everso Biggyballies
Legendary Member
Legendary Member

8 lap WTCR race 1 about to start.... after that the Motorcycle GP
Live stream Links in the thread posted previously and also posted by @Andy in the links on Forum Index Page streaming chatbox.

DoubleFart
Elite Member
Elite Member
Favourite Motorsport: F1

Post by DoubleFart »

Can't believe Dan "I'm going to restart my career at Macau" Ticktum hasn't had a mention in this thread.

The world's eyes are on you Dan, don't do anything stupi... Oh never mind.
Gavle Yule Goat Predictor 2018, 2019 and 2021 Champion
MonteCristo wrote: 2 years agoVettel: Not a fan at all on track. But off track, good guy.
Everso Biggyballies
Legendary Member
Legendary Member

Motorcycle GP is getting ready for the start now.... bikes leaving pitlane and assembling on grid for a start scheduled in 10 mins.
Hickman, with pole position today is on the verge of a Grand Slam.... wins this year at the IoM TT, Ulster GP, the North West 200 and potentially the Macau GP, which I think he won last year.

Everso Biggyballies
Legendary Member
Legendary Member

Warm up lap underway.