2019 Macau Weekend

Current motorsport related news, information and discussion on any series that does not fit in the above or below categories
Andy
Supreme Member
Supreme Member
Favourite Motorsport: 2 & 3 Wheeling
Favourite Racing Car: Bike ;) - Yamaha YZR 500
Favourite Driver: Justin 'Weeman' Collins
Favourite Circuit: Isle of Man - Mountain Course
Car(s) Currently Owned: M'cycle ;) - Yamaha FZS 600

Post by Andy »

Bottom post of the previous page:

bloody ads undermining commentary here
"Those who risk nothing, do nothing, achieve nothing, become nothing" - David Jefferies
Everso Biggyballies
Legendary Member
Legendary Member
Favourite Motorsport: Anything that goes left and right.
Favourite Racing Car: Too Many to mention
Favourite Driver: Kimi,Niki,Jim(none called Michael)
Favourite Circuit: Nordschleife, Spa, Mt Panorama.
Car(s) Currently Owned: Audi SQ5 3.0L V6 TwinTurbo
Location: Just moved 3 klms further away so now 11 klms from Albert Park, Melbourne.

Post by Everso Biggyballies »

Andy wrote: 4 years ago Whether it is going to be restarted is only of secondary importance to me at the minute really. First off, I wonder who was involved in the pile up and hope that everyone involved wasn't hurt heavily. Thankfully, it happened in one of the much slower places.
Yes of course.... hopefully the newly installed 'safer' barriers installed for this years race will have done a good job. :fingers: :fingers:

* I started life with nothing, and still have most of it left

“Good drivers have dead flies on the side windows!” (Walter Röhrl)

* I married Miss Right. Just didn't know her first name was Always
Andy
Supreme Member
Supreme Member

Post by Andy »

last thing I heard was no podium ceremony and no press conference. Could mean both, a highly tragic outcome of the pile or also and just that it indeed gets fit in tomorrow
"Those who risk nothing, do nothing, achieve nothing, become nothing" - David Jefferies
Everso Biggyballies
Legendary Member
Legendary Member
Location: Just moved 3 klms further away so now 11 klms from Albert Park, Melbourne.

Andy wrote: 4 years ago bloody ads undermining commentary here
thought it might just be me, watching the Asia Pacific feed, but same on the global feed when I tried that. Back to proper live from the circuit now, but confusion seems to be the order of the day as to whether the race will be declared, whether the result if called will be aggregate times, or if as with cars the results being set at the end of the lap preceding the stoppage, Rutter crossed the line first, with Hickman taking the lead later IIRC. Of course if it is done on aggregate times Hickman would win regardless of who crossed the line leading.

Personally I am hoping for a race tomorrow.

But as said, of course the first concern is for those involved in the crash.

Everso Biggyballies
Legendary Member
Legendary Member

I have now lost the stream which I suspect has finished. Have to wait and check the media for any injury reports when a race report becomes available.

Andy
Supreme Member
Supreme Member

Post by Andy »

Everso Biggyballies wrote: 4 years ago I have now lost the stream which I suspect has finished. Have to wait and check the media for any injury reports when a race report becomes available.
yeah , same here. Have a good eve, mate :bye:
Andy
Supreme Member
Supreme Member

Post by Andy »

So while waiting for an announcement in both regards, riders involved as well as proceedings, marshally me took note of a small clip of the crash scene popping up on the tube. Marshally me also noticed two race numbers involved and made out another three out due to bike / leather liveries. The final lad was tougher to make out but a clip from the pre-race start 1 grid helped identification quite a bit. Well, here's my sketch below.

Fingers crossed for all involved. :fingers:

sorry edited for better quality pic

Andy
Supreme Member
Supreme Member

Post by Andy »

Ironically, the commentators curse comes to mind now after I had posted the Hodson/Sweeney pic past the first red.
Andy
Supreme Member
Supreme Member

Post by Andy »

Just reading up a bit and my sketchy line up has been confirmed but seemingly (I use this very carefully for now) everyone involved has been reported to be OK.
But it seems also being communicated that there won't be a race tomorrow, no podium today and therefore no result for the 53rd edition either.
DoubleFart
Elite Member
Elite Member
Favourite Motorsport: F1

Post by DoubleFart »

Messy

Gavle Yule Goat Predictor 2018, 2019 and 2021 Champion
MonteCristo wrote: 2 years agoVettel: Not a fan at all on track. But off track, good guy.
Andy
Supreme Member
Supreme Member

Post by Andy »

And Michael Rutter declared the winner. lol
On which base escapes me though. It only seems possible if race control counted the one time he indeed was ahead of Peter.´
At the end of lap 1 past the restart.
As much as Michael deserves it as much is my tummy growling over this decision. But hey ho , at least we have a winner.
Everso Biggyballies
Legendary Member
Legendary Member

A bit more from the local (Chinese) press re the Macau Motorcycle GP crash, involved riders and reasoning for the result.
I have highlighted the reference to the lack of serious injuries in the crash.

*Race cancelled for not meeting three-lap minimum but Rutter declared the winner for his ninth Macau win
*Race had been declared null and void by organisers as several riders taken to hospital with ‘non-life threatening’ injuries

The Macau Motorcycle Grand Prix ended with not a bang but a whimper after two red flags meant that the race was called off for a second time and then cancelled.

Race commentators reported that there would be a result declared but because regulations stipulate that for a grand prix to be run, three laps have to be completed.

That was not the case so the 53rd Macau Grand Prix at the time of either stoppage so it was declared null and void.
“There is not a result,” said a spokesperson for the organisers. “There will be no podium.”

Michael Rutter was leading when the bikes went in for a second time, having outfoxed teammate Peter Hickman at the restart as the sun set over the famous street circuit on Saturday evening. However, hours later, organisers declared Rutter the winner, meaning the “Blade” had won the Macau Motorcycle Grand Prix for a record-extending ninth time. It was the 47-year-old’s first victory at Macau since 2012.

Hickman had been in pole when the race originally started and was leading into the third lap when a crash involving Robert Hodson and Marek Cerveny caused the race to be stopped for the bikes and the track to be cleared.

Another massive multi-motorbike pile-up saw the race stopped for a second time, bringing an end to the day’s racing.
Daniel Kruger, Didier Grams, Erno Kostamo, Michael Sweeney, Phillip Crowe and Derek Sheils were all involved in the crash at Police, which is not one of the fastest parts of the track but has proved costly for the cars this weekend.

None of the injured riders had life threatening injuries, according to race control. Kruger, Kostamo and Sheils have been taken to a local hospital for observations but all are conscious.

The other bikes were back in the pits with seven laps still to go of the race on the live broadcast, as everyone awaited a decision on the race and the injured drivers.

There was initially speculation that the race could have been rescheduled for Sunday but the second red flag made that more difficult and the decision was taken to cancel the race.

Organisers said that Sunday’s packed schedule – featuring the Formula 3 Grand Prix, a pair of World Touring Car Cup races and the FIA GT World Cup final – was too tight to find a window for the Motorcycling as well.
Source: This article appeared in the South China Morning Post print edition as: crashes and pile-ups wreak havoc on macau showpiece

Everso Biggyballies
Legendary Member
Legendary Member

Andy wrote: 4 years ago And Michael Rutter declared the winner. lol
On which base escapes me though. It only seems possible if race control counted the one time he indeed was ahead of Peter.´
As much as Michael deserves it as much is my tummy growling over this decision. But hey ho , at least we have a winner.
I can only imagine it is because Rutter was leading when they crossed the line the last time a full lap was completed prior to the second ref flag...... that ruling being commonplace in Motorsport red flag incidents

Andy
Supreme Member
Supreme Member

Post by Andy »

Everso Biggyballies wrote: 4 years ago
Andy wrote: 4 years ago And Michael Rutter declared the winner. lol
I can only imagine it is because Rutter was leading when they crossed the line the last time a full lap was completed prior to the second ref flag...... that ruling being commonplace in Motorsport red flag incidents
Yeah, I know about this rule and since it was just a one lapper anyway, well see above.
Í find it even more interesting that a winner has to be declared after a race had been declared 'null and void' by not meeting the minimum distance on both instances.
Everso Biggyballies
Legendary Member
Legendary Member

Suncity Group Formula 3 Macau Grand Prix and FIA F3 World Cup race over 15 laps starts in about 15 minutes.
Same links as already posted for live stream.

Everso Biggyballies
Legendary Member
Legendary Member

DoubleFart wrote: 4 years ago Can't believe Dan "I'm going to restart my career at Macau" Ticktum hasn't had a mention in this thread.

The world's eyes are on you Dan, don't do anything stupi... Oh never mind.
He is running at the meeting, and is apparently doing F2 next year. Isnt he on a hat trick of wins here?

Actually he is up against making his third consecutive win having got involved in someone elses accident in the grid setting qualifying race yesterday, left with nowhere to go, got aerial and will start back in 27th place. The crash started (at Lisboa) when Logan Sargeant clipped Arjun Maini, whose Jenzer entry was subsequently fired into the wall. That left a number of cars with nowhere to go, Jake Hughes out on the spot while Ticktum had to pit for repairs. He managed to get to the finish, but was classified 27th and two laps down. He starts 26th, immediately behind David (son of Ralf) Schumacher

https://livestream.com/MacauGrandPrix/M ... 019-Global

or Asia pacific residents https://livestream.com/MacauGrandPrix/M ... siaPacific

Warm up lap on now.