2020 WRC and Off Road Discussion *DAKAR 2021 on now*

Current motorsport related news, information and discussion on any series that does not fit in the above or below categories
Everso Biggyballies
Legendary Member
Legendary Member
Favourite Motorsport: Anything that goes left and right.
Favourite Racing Car: Too Many to mention
Favourite Driver: Kimi,Niki,Jim(none called Michael)
Favourite Circuit: Nordschleife, Spa, Mt Panorama.
Car(s) Currently Owned: Audi SQ5 3.0L V6 TwinTurbo
Location: Just moved 3 klms further away so now 11 klms from Albert Park, Melbourne.

2020 WRC and Off Road Discussion *DAKAR 2021 on now*

Post by Everso Biggyballies »

Start the 2020 thread off with the following news.

Toyota confirms Alonso for Dakar

After many rumours he would over that past months Fernando Alonso will make his Dakar Rally debut with Toyota Gazoo Racing next January, the team has confirmed.

The two-time Formula 1 world champion joins a four-car line-up headed up by Nasser Al-Attiyah, who gave Toyota its first ever Dakar win this year, with Giniel de Villiers and Bernhard Ten Brinke in the other two Hiluxes.

Alonso will be navigated by compatriot Marc Coma, who was by his side for the Lichtenburg 400 and Morocco Rally events which they undertook as preparation for Dakar in recent months.

Nando first tested a Dakar-spec Hilux in March this year, but his participation in the DAKAR had not formally been confirmed until now.

I was trying to think what other ex F1 drivers have taken part in the Dakar.... I know Jacky Ickx has (and won it) also Clay Regazzoni. The Dakar organiser and founder, Jean Louis Schlesser took part in the Italian GP 1988, driving for Williams. He also had a few DNS/DNQ's.

My mind has gone blank. Help. Any others?
Last edited by Everso Biggyballies 3 years ago, edited 1 time in total.

* I started life with nothing, and still have most of it left

“Good drivers have dead flies on the side windows!” (Walter Röhrl)

* I married Miss Right. Just didn't know her first name was Always
kals
Legendary Member
Legendary Member
Favourite Motorsport: F1..BTCC..MotoGP
Favourite Racing Car: Benetton B189
Favourite Circuit: Donington Park

Post by kals »

I see someone not called Sebastian has won the WRC title for the first time since 2003. Congrats to Ott Tanak. Also, worth noting it’s Toyota’s first title since 1994 with Didier Auriol in the Celica.
SBan83

Post by SBan83 »

Ah, that Celica brings back fond memories of my early video game days.

Great to see Tanak finally win the title and halt the Sebastien train. He and Toyota are hitting on all cylinders and it would be a shame if he were to go to Hyundai, as per rumours, which also state Harri Rovanpera's son will replace him. More so for Makkinen and Toyota who'll have to deal with a crash artist in one car (Latvala) and a rookie in another.
kals
Legendary Member
Legendary Member

Post by kals »

Seriously, how has Latvala managed to have such a long career in WRC?
SBan83

Post by SBan83 »

He probably has a low asking price by now, which makes him a value-for-money proposition even in spite of his repair bill.
Everso Biggyballies
Legendary Member
Legendary Member
Location: Just moved 3 klms further away so now 11 klms from Albert Park, Melbourne.

Big WRC news today....

Citroen quits WRC with immediate effect.

Citroen has quit WRC with immediate effect, blaming the decision on the lack of a world class driver..... Seb Ogier having indicated he will leave the team and not rejoin for 2020, with a move to Toyota suspected to be on his plate. Toyota of course have lost Ott Tanak, WRC Champion, who has joined Hyundai.

Lappi's future is far less certain..

Citroen will continue to provide cars to private entrants.

Of course it is not the first time Citroen have quit, the last time being when they sat out the 2016 season as it developed its C3 for the new regulations which took effect in 2017 but struggled to achieve competitiveness and a stable driver line-up upon its return.

Ogier moved across from M-Sport in the last off-season and won three events this year, matching Citroen’s haul from the preceding two seasons combined.

He ultimately finished third in the drivers’ championship, behind Tanak and Hyundai’s Thierry Neuville.
“Citroen decided to withdraw from its WRC programme in 2020 due to the absence of a first-class driver available for 2020 season,” read a statement from Citroen Racing.

Citroen CEO Linda Jackson was more expansive, explaining that the French marque would continue to supply R5-spec C3s for customer programs in WRC.

“Our decision to withdraw from WRC programme as early as end of 2019 follows on Sebastien Ogier’s choice to leave Citroen Racing,” she said.

“We obviously have not wished this situation but we could not imagine 2020 season without Sebastien.

“A part of Citroen’s DNA is intimately linked with the rally and we are proud to be one of the most titled brands in WRC history with 102 victories and eight manufacturer titles.

“Building on the experience and the competencies of PSA Motorsport teams, Citroen customer competition activity will be reinforced in 2020, with a support and an amplified commitment towards C3 R5 customers throughout the world.”
https://www.speedcafe.com/2019/11/21/ci ... te-effect/

kals
Legendary Member
Legendary Member

Post by kals »

Pretty poor reasoning by Citroen. Doesn’t send out a great message to all the good drivers looking for seats. Can’t blame Ogier for jumping from a sinking ship.
Everso Biggyballies
Legendary Member
Legendary Member

DAKAR 2020

Not in South America this time, instead being held in Saudi Arabia. Stage 1 of the 2020 Dakar Rally takes place on January 5 (local time) in Jeddah. From there it will head north. It will then turn east and eventually take in a rest day in the capital of Riyadh on January 11, before proceeding in an almost clockwise loop to the finish at Al Qiddiya, near Riyadh, on January 17.

Apparently Saudi Arabia will become the 30th nation to host the Dakar Rally. The organisers are referring to it as Chapter 3, with Chapter 1 & 2 having been Africa and South America.

Dakar news.
Only a few days before the event gets underway, but a setback for Dakar Legend Peterhansel. He has been forced into a late co-driver change after his wife Andrea had to withdraw from the event due to health reasons.

Peterhansel has won the Dakar 13 times, six in Bikes and seven in Cars, while Andrea has finished fifth as a driver herself and also on two wheels.

Portuguese navigator Paulo Fiuza will take her place for the Dakar Rally having also done so in Riyadh, wher Peterhansel finished second.

Fellow X-Raid driver seems confident that improvements to this years car and lessons learnt last year will enable them to compete with Toyota the 2019 Dakar winners for the 2020 win.

Just a reminder, Fernando Alonso will debut in a Toyota Hilux. It seems Toyota are still very much the favourites to win again.

To get you in the mood, here is a brief video of the History of Chapter 1 & 2.

DoubleFart
Elite Member
Elite Member
Favourite Motorsport: F1

Post by DoubleFart »

I'm looking forward to the Fernando Alonso Dakar 2020.
Gavle Yule Goat Predictor 2018, 2019 and 2021 Champion
MonteCristo wrote: 2 years agoVettel: Not a fan at all on track. But off track, good guy.
Everso Biggyballies
Legendary Member
Legendary Member

DoubleFart wrote: 4 years ago I'm looking forward to the Fernando Alonso Dakar 2020.
:haha: :haha:

Everso Biggyballies
Legendary Member
Legendary Member

Image Image

Dakar starts this weekend.... just a heads up. Dont forget it is in the Middle East not South America so stage start timings will be more European friendly

No Robby Gordon this year, but all the usual regulars are there plus of course that Fernando bloke.

All entrants for bikes, quads, cars, and trucks can be found here: https://www.dakar.com/en/competitors

This gives a rough idea of who your local broadcaster of news and stuff is. Looks like Scandanavia doesnt show up with a broadcaster or maybe that is classed as Europe / Eurosport territory. :dunno:

Everso Biggyballies
Legendary Member
Legendary Member

We have our first scratching from the Dakar and it has not even started....

Martin Kolomy has been hospitalised with a fractured vertebrae following a shakedown accident ahead of this year’s edition of the Dakar Rally.

Kolomy and co-driver Jirka Stross became a pre-event scratching after they were transferred to hospital following an end-over-end roll in their Ford Raptor.

Though attended to at the scene, the pair were transferred to hospital for checks with Kolomy diagnosed with a compressed third vertebrae and cracked second.

From the Czech Republic, the duo were to compete in the Cars class of the event, Kolomy having campaigned a truck since 2010 claiming two stage wins.

Everso Biggyballies
Legendary Member
Legendary Member

Romain Dumas's third Dakar is already over..... his dreams have gone up in smoke after his RD Limited caught fire 65 km into the special.
Al Attiya was leading the first stage comfortably but suffered three late punctures losing his lead and finishing the stage 5th.
Three Minis currently occupy the podium. Vaidotas Žala sprung a surprise with his maiden Dakar stage win, with Stéphane Peterhansel 2 minutes back in second and Sainz third.
Alonso had a quiet stge, getting into the rhythm, and finished 11th, 15 minutes back.

Stage 1 rankings and gaps for the cars. Links on the page for the other categories.
https://gaps.dakar.com/2020/dakar/aso/ukie

Everso Biggyballies
Legendary Member
Legendary Member

Trivia from the Dakar.... a total of 68 countries are represented. The French contingent is the largest, with 109 riders, drivers and co-drivers, followed by Spain (75) and the Netherlands (50).

342 vehicles (144 motorbikes, 23 quads, 83 cars, 46 SxSs and 46 trucks) were cleared to start the 42nd Dakar.

Everso Biggyballies
Legendary Member
Legendary Member

Forced to wait for his assistance team after breaking a wheel, Fernando Alonso has finally resumed racing. However, he has lost 2 hours and 30 minutes. Must have been more than a broken wheel methinks as they would simply put on a spare for that
Giniel de Villiers has won his first stage victory of the year in stage 2, but Terranova the cars leads overall, from Sainz and Al Attiya.

Rankings: https://gaps.dakar.com/2020/dakar/aso/ukie

Toby Price who was leading the bikes after stage 1 had a bad stage 2 getting into navigations problems from his first out starting position. After stage 2 Sam Sutherland leads the bikes.... Price is now 9th some 7 minutes plus behind.

Same link for all category rankings .... just follow the category links on the page