Formula E

Current motorsport related news, information and discussion on any series that does not fit in the above or below categories
LaraCroft2016
Bronze Member
Bronze Member
Favourite Motorsport: F1, Indycar, Nascar
Favourite Racing Car: Williams-Renault
Favourite Driver: Ayrton Senna, Dale Earnhardt
Favourite Circuit: Daytona, Talladega, Spa
Car(s) Currently Owned: no

Formula E

Post by LaraCroft2016 »

Season five has already started in Saudi Arabia, now the batteries last the full race, the race is 45 minutes+1 lap, it looks short to me, and we have now something called attack mode.

Calendar:
1 Diriyah ePrix - Saudi Arabia - Riyadh Street Circuit - 15 December 2018
2 Marrakesh ePrix - Morocco - Circuit International Automobile Moulay El Hassan - 12 January 2019
3 Santiago ePrix - Chile - Parque O'Higgins Circuit - 26 January 2019
4 Mexico City ePrix - Mexico - Autódromo Hermanos Rodríguez - 16 February 2019
5 Hong Kong ePrix - Hong Kong - Hong Kong Central Harbourfront Circuit - 10 March 2019
6 Sanya ePrix - China - Sanya Street Circuit - 23 March 2019
7 Rome ePrix - Italy - Circuito Cittadino dell'EUR - 13 April 2019
8 Paris ePrix - France - Circuit des Invalides - 27 April 2019
9 Monaco ePrix - Monaco - Circuit de Monaco - 11 May 2019
10 Berlin ePrix - Germany - Tempelhof Airport Street Circuit - 25 May 2019
11 Bern ePrix - Switzerland - TBA - 22 June 2019
12 New York City ePrix Race 1 - Brooklyn Street Circuit - 13 July 2019
13 New York City ePrix Race 2 - 14 July 2019

Attack mode explanation:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3WwoOFSfOug

The first race was interesting, with some overtakes and battle for the lead, it seems Techeetah is very strong this season but it is still too early to see what is the car to beat.
"The attacks to the twin towers were planned since 1982" Osama Bin Laden in 2004
MonteCristo
Favourite Motorsport: Openwheel
Favourite Racing Car: Tyrrell P34/Protos
Favourite Driver: JV
Favourite Circuit: Road America

Post by MonteCristo »

How much development is allowed in FE?
Oscar Piastri in F1! Catch the fever! Vettel Hate Club. Life membership.

2012 GTP Non-Championship Champion | 2012 Guess the Kai-Star Half Marathon Time Champion | 2018 GTP Champion | 2019 GTP Champion
Everso Biggyballies
Legendary Member
Legendary Member
Favourite Motorsport: Anything that goes left and right.
Favourite Racing Car: Too Many to mention
Favourite Driver: Kimi,Niki,Jim(none called Michael)
Favourite Circuit: Nordschleife, Spa, Mt Panorama.
Car(s) Currently Owned: Audi SQ5 3.0L V6 TwinTurbo
Location: Just moved 3 klms further away so now 11 klms from Albert Park, Melbourne.

Post by Everso Biggyballies »

Is it just me or do the halos stick out like dogs balls on the new FE?

I watched a replay of the first race and tbh was not impressed. Never got to the bottom of all the penalties, and as for attack mode... WTF is all that about. I will get round to watching the clip of how it works, but if it needs a clip to explain it it is too busy is my initial comment. This track looked a bit wider, but still left a lot to be desired.

* I started life with nothing, and still have most of it left

“Good drivers have dead flies on the side windows!” (Walter Röhrl)

* I married Miss Right. Just didn't know her first name was Always
kals
Legendary Member
Legendary Member
Favourite Motorsport: F1..BTCC..MotoGP
Favourite Racing Car: Benetton B189
Favourite Circuit: Donington Park

Post by kals »

@LaraCroft2016 thank you for starting the new thread.

Apart from the penalties I thought the first race was pretty good. From what the commentators were saying, the penalties stemmed from the lack of practice sessions which were cancelled due to heavy rain.

There were a few notable performances, the obvious being Vergne but also Massa was doing well until his penalty.
Michkov
Advanced Member
Advanced Member

Post by Michkov »

As Kals mentioned the penalties came from a lack of tuning because the practice was wet. Problem is that the cars are capable of delivering/recuperating more power than the regs allow, think of it as equivalent to a fuel flow limit. Why this is in FE is beyond me since the cars are limited by battery capacity anyway.

As for development, from the current issue of Racecar Engineering
...Yet while this chassis is the same for everyone, all the components rearwards of the battery are open for the manufacturers to develop. ‘One part of the car which we are mainly working on is the electric motor and inverter,’ says Chevaucher. ‘From Season 2, all the manufacturers have been developing their electric motors and it is difficult to imagine the kind of steps that we have made in terms of efficiency and weight saving. We are now so close to 100 per cent efficiency that it is difficult to make any more big improvements. However, we are now focusing on the range of efficiency of the motor and inverter so that this maximum efficiency can be used for most of the time. 'In previous years, some manufacturers were using gearboxes with several ratios which was due to the limited range of efficiency of the motors available at that time,' Chevaucher adds. 'Now, I think all the manufacturers are running single speed gearboxes thanks to the huge improvements in this electric technology.’...
As for the track it's probably the best FE raced on thus far. I liked the desert backdrop and all just a shame it has to be in Saudi Arabia. Feels a bit like Kyalami back in the 80s
MonteCristo

Post by MonteCristo »

Michkov wrote: 5 years ago As Kals mentioned the penalties came from a lack of tuning because the practice was wet. Problem is that the cars are capable of delivering/recuperating more power than the regs allow, think of it as equivalent to a fuel flow limit. Why this is in FE is beyond me since the cars are limited by battery capacity anyway.

As for development, from the current issue of Racecar Engineering
...Yet while this chassis is the same for everyone, all the components rearwards of the battery are open for the manufacturers to develop. ‘One part of the car which we are mainly working on is the electric motor and inverter,’ says Chevaucher. ‘From Season 2, all the manufacturers have been developing their electric motors and it is difficult to imagine the kind of steps that we have made in terms of efficiency and weight saving. We are now so close to 100 per cent efficiency that it is difficult to make any more big improvements. However, we are now focusing on the range of efficiency of the motor and inverter so that this maximum efficiency can be used for most of the time. 'In previous years, some manufacturers were using gearboxes with several ratios which was due to the limited range of efficiency of the motors available at that time,' Chevaucher adds. 'Now, I think all the manufacturers are running single speed gearboxes thanks to the huge improvements in this electric technology.’...
As for the track it's probably the best FE raced on thus far. I liked the desert backdrop and all just a shame it has to be in Saudi Arabia. Feels a bit like Kyalami back in the 80s
Thanks very much.

If they opened it up more, while racing on better tracks, I'd probably more interested in it than F1.

2012 GTP Non-Championship Champion | 2012 Guess the Kai-Star Half Marathon Time Champion | 2018 GTP Champion | 2019 GTP Champion
John
Ultimate Member
Ultimate Member

Post by John »

I mean, can't they race anywhere besides street courses? I get the whole "getting close to where the crowd is to promote the sport and yadda yadda" but at this point FE feels big enough to move into proper racing circuits. Granted the tracks have to be pancake flat and all, but still.
2018 GTP Accuracy champion.

CEREAL IS A SOUP.
MonteCristo

Post by MonteCristo »

John wrote: 5 years ago I mean, can't they race anywhere besides street courses? I get the whole "getting close to where the crowd is to promote the sport and yadda yadda" but at this point FE feels big enough to move into proper racing circuits. Granted the tracks have to be pancake flat and all, but still.
I can deal with "street circuits". They're fine in F1 and Indycar.

But not full blown A1GP-style Mickey Mouse street circuits.

These cars seem racey. Giving them longer straights should make for terrific racing.

Michkov
Advanced Member
Advanced Member

Post by Michkov »

Speedwise they are F3 cars maybe a bit quicker in Gen2 form, so anything F3 races on they should be able to run. So bring on Pau, Macau and Brands Hatch. Especially the last one would be great since the cars wont eat into the noise budget for the full loop.
kals
Legendary Member
Legendary Member

Post by kals »

These cars don't have enough power or speed for full blown circuits, for now. The course they used on Saturday appeared to be an ideal for these cars.
Michkov
Advanced Member
Advanced Member

Post by Michkov »

See I wanted to say they ran Valencia at comparable times to F3 cars, but it turns they used the perimeter circuit with a chicane added for good measure, so that comparison fails. Next I remembered them wanting to use the full Monaco circuit but apparently that has been axed by Jean Todt. So point taken I guess.
caneparo
Legendary Member
Legendary Member
Favourite Racing Car: Ferrari
Favourite Circuit: Monza
Car(s) Currently Owned: Fiat 500X

Post by caneparo »

kals wrote: 5 years ago These cars don't have enough power or speed for full blown circuits, for now. The course they used on Saturday appeared to be an ideal for these cars.
Probably a bicycle car would go at the same speed. Without the problem of where to dismiss the batteries
I am from Italy, a country known for its history, cars, food, wine, and horny men
http://www.facebook.com/pages/Forged-In ... 565?ref=ts
kals
Legendary Member
Legendary Member

Post by kals »

caneparo wrote: 5 years ago
kals wrote: 5 years ago These cars don't have enough power or speed for full blown circuits, for now. The course they used on Saturday appeared to be an ideal for these cars.
Probably a bicycle car would go at the same speed. Without the problem of where to dismiss the batteries
Unless it's a hybrid bicycle :whistling:
caneparo
Legendary Member
Legendary Member
Favourite Racing Car: Ferrari
Favourite Circuit: Monza
Car(s) Currently Owned: Fiat 500X

Post by caneparo »

Bean gas driven?! :p
I am from Italy, a country known for its history, cars, food, wine, and horny men
http://www.facebook.com/pages/Forged-In ... 565?ref=ts
Everso Biggyballies
Legendary Member
Legendary Member
Favourite Motorsport: Anything that goes left and right.
Favourite Racing Car: Too Many to mention
Favourite Driver: Kimi,Niki,Jim(none called Michael)
Favourite Circuit: Nordschleife, Spa, Mt Panorama.
Car(s) Currently Owned: Audi SQ5 3.0L V6 TwinTurbo
Location: Just moved 3 klms further away so now 11 klms from Albert Park, Melbourne.

Post by Everso Biggyballies »

caneparo wrote: 5 years ago Bean gas driven?! :p

* I started life with nothing, and still have most of it left

“Good drivers have dead flies on the side windows!” (Walter Röhrl)

* I married Miss Right. Just didn't know her first name was Always