2019 WRC and Off Road Discussion Thread

Current motorsport related news, information and discussion on any series that does not fit in the above or below categories
Everso Biggyballies
Legendary Member
Legendary Member
Favourite Motorsport: Anything that goes left and right.
Favourite Racing Car: Too Many to mention
Favourite Driver: Kimi,Niki,Jim(none called Michael)
Favourite Circuit: Nordschleife, Spa, Mt Panorama.
Car(s) Currently Owned: Audi SQ5 3.0L V6 TwinTurbo
Location: Just moved 3 klms further away so now 11 klms from Albert Park, Melbourne.

Post by Everso Biggyballies »

Bottom post of the previous page:

That was a bit plotless!

* I started life with nothing, and still have most of it left

“Good drivers have dead flies on the side windows!” (Walter Röhrl)

* I married Miss Right. Just didn't know her first name was Always
Everso Biggyballies
Legendary Member
Legendary Member
Location: Just moved 3 klms further away so now 11 klms from Albert Park, Melbourne.

Robbie Gordon retired. :sorrow:

Cars after stage 4

1. Nasser Al-Attiyah (Toyota), 12:12'
2. Stéphane Peterhansel (Mini) + 8'
3. Nani Roma (Mini) + 20'
4. Jakub Przygonski (Mini) + 22'
5. Yazeed Al-Rajhi (Mini) + 24'
6. Sébastien Loeb (Peugeot) + 50'
7. Cyril Despres (Mini) + 50'
8. Aron Domzala (Toyota) + 1:28'
9. Boris Garafulic (Mini)
10. Harry Hunt (Peugeot)
11. Martin Prokop (Ford)
12. Benediktas Vanagas (Toyota)
Dakar Rally 2019 leader Nasser Al-Attiyah extended his advantage over the chasing pack by topping the event's fourth stage, running from Arequipa to Tacna.
The Toyota driver was quickest over the 406-kilometre timed special, the longest of the rally thus far, split in two parts by a 55-kilometre neutralised zone.

The stage marked the first half of the rally's 'marathon' leg, so-called because external assistance is forbidden and technical support crews do not accompany the competitors to Tacna – instead waiting for their return to Arequipa the day after.

X-raid Mini buggy driver Stephane Peterhansel, who ran first on the road after topping Wednesday's test, was marginally quicker than Al-Attiyah at the opening waypoint.

But the Qatari led at every split afterwards, arriving at the finish two minutes faster than the 13-time Dakar champion, with a time of three hours, 38 minutes and 49 seconds.

Peterhansel, who lags nine minutes behind Al-Attiyah in the general classification, has taken over in second place from fellow X-raid driver Yazeed Al-Rajhi, who had a troubled run.

Fellow Mini 4x4 drivers Nani Roma and Jakub Przygonski have moved up to third and fourth respectively as a result, with Al Rajhi a close fifth, now trailing Al-Attiyah by 25 minutes.

PH Sport Peugeot privateer Sebastien Loeb was a close third behind Al-Attiyah and Peterhansel for most of the day before tumbling to fifth at the very end of the stage. He now needs to make up more than 50 minutes relative to the marathon leader.

Despite the late setback, Loeb has moved up to sixth overall, his gains coming at the expense of Bernhard ten Brinke – the Dutchman giving up over two hours for repairs to his Toyota – and Mini buggy driver Cyril Despres, who was relegated to seventh place after losing close to half an hour.

Kamaz's Andrey Karginov saw off LIAZ driver Martin Macik to top the stage in the truck class, as Eduard Nikolaev retained the overall lead.

With Iveco's Federico Villagra hitting trouble, Macik now stands as the only competitor within reach of Kamaz's closely-matched leading trio - Nikolaev, Karginov and Dmitry Sotnikov.
https://au.motorsport.com/dakar/news/st ... d/4322042/

Everso Biggyballies
Legendary Member
Legendary Member

Stage 5
Sebastien Loeb has taken a commanding victory in Stage 5 of the Dakar Rally but Nasser Al-Attiyah is now in an event stronger position in the general classification.

The privateer Peugeot driver beat Toyota Gazoo Racing’s main man by over 10 minutes in the second marathon stage which covered 519 competitive kilometres.

Al-Attiyah (Qatari), however, is now 24:42s clear at the top of the general classification as his nearest rival, Stephane Peterhansel (Mini, French), lost significant time towards the end of the day.

Nani Roma (Mini, Spanish) remains third but drifted to more than half an hour behind Al-Attiyah.

Despite his second stage victory of the campaign, Loeb (French) is exactly 40 minutes off the overall pace.
Pos Driver Nat Make Time/Gap
1 Nasser AL-ATTIYAH QAT Toyota 017:19:53
2 Stephane PETERHANSEL FRA Mini +00:24:42
3 Nani ROMA ESP Mini +00:34:33
4 Jakub PRZYGONSKI POL Mini +00:38:12
5 Sebastien Loeb FRA Peugeot +00:40:00

I see in the trucks a spectator got hit by a truck, fortunately only breaking a leg....
A spectator who strayed into an unauthorised area has suffered a broken femur after being hit by a truck competing in the Dakar Rally.

According to a statement from organisers of the event, the 60-year-old South African was watching from an ‘unsecured area’ around halfway into Stage 5 of the event, from Moquegua/Tacna to Arequipa.

He was struck by Russian Andrey Karginov of the leading Kamaz Master team and incurred a broken femur (upper leg bone).

Karginov had finished the day third in the general classification, having won Stages 3 and 4 of the event, but has been excluded for failing to stop and attend to the spectator.
It is still Kamaz in front though... Eduard Nikolaev (Kamaz, Russian) bounced back with a small stage win in Trucks to move his advantage overall to 11:54s.

Bikes

Sam Sunderland has closed in on the lead of the Dakar Rally by winning Stage 5 but the battle remains finely poised.

Stage 4 winner Ricky Brabec continues to set the overall pace but less than four minutes cover the top four of he, Sunderland, Pablo Quintanilla, and Toby Price, while defending champion Matthias Walkner is a bit over six minutes behind in sixth.

Pos Rider Nat Make Time/Gap
1 Ricky BRABEC USA Honda 016:51:34
2 Sam SUNDERLAND GBR KTM +00:00:59
3 Pablo QUINTANILLA CHI Husqvarna +00:02:52
4 Toby PRICE AUS KTM +00:03:21
5 Matthias WALKNER AUT KTM +00:06:17
6 Adrien VAN BEVEREN FRA Yamaha +00:06:36
7 Kevin BENAVIDES ARG Honda +00:09:01
8 Xavier DE SOULTRAIT FRA Yamaha +00:18:37
9 Stefan SVITKO SVK KTM +00:26:28
10 Andrew SHORT USA Husqvarna +00:27:54
Last edited by Everso Biggyballies 5 years ago, edited 1 time in total.

SBan83

Post by SBan83 »

How the hell do you manage to tangle in a f-ing desert ffs.
Everso Biggyballies
Legendary Member
Legendary Member

Everso Biggyballies wrote: 5 years ago

I see in the trucks a spectator got hit by a truck, fortunately only breaking a leg....
A spectator who strayed into an unauthorised area has suffered a broken femur after being hit by a truck competing in the Dakar Rally.

According to a statement from organisers of the event, the 60-year-old South African was watching from an ‘unsecured area’ around halfway into Stage 5 of the event, from Moquegua/Tacna to Arequipa.

He was struck by Russian Andrey Karginov of the leading Kamaz Master team and incurred a broken femur (upper leg bone).

Karginov had finished the day third in the general classification, having won Stages 3 and 4 of the event, but has been excluded for failing to stop and attend to the spectator.
It is still Kamaz in front though... Eduard Nikolaev (Kamaz, Russian) bounced back with a small stage win in Trucks to move his advantage overall to 11:54s.

I see the truck has now been disqualified from the event as a result. I think the decision is harsh, as a truck that size in the terrain would have been completely unaware of the incident, especially seeing a number of others clear the area. Video link at end of article.
The #518 entry, driven by Andrey Karginov, has been excluded from the event for failing to stop and attend to the spectator, who was standing in an unauthorised area.

Team boss Vladimir Chagin disagreed with the decision, arguing that Karginov would not have even known that he had hit the spectator.

“There’s a lot spectators on the route, and in the most difficult parts there’s always particularly many of them, spread out in various groups,” observed Chagin.

“As he was driving up one of the ascents, there was a group of five spectators in the path of the truck. Four managed to clear off but one tripped in the sand and his leg was caught under the rear wheel of the truck.

“Andrey naturally didn’t see this – it was an ascent and all you can see through the windshield is the sky and the top of the mountain – so he only found out about the accident upon arriving to the bivouac.

“It was investigated by the commissioners and, much to our surprise, the organisers made the very harsh decision to disqualify the crew.

“We’re very surprised by the decision, but we can’t protest it here, only after the race has wrapped up.

“So we have to accept it and continue with three crews.”
Video of the incident on this link.... incident starts at 5.00 mins in.
https://www.speedcafe.com/2019/01/13/vi ... kar-truck/

Cheeveer
Favourite Racing Car: Panoz GTR1
Favourite Driver: Alex Zanardi
Favourite Circuit: Bathurst

Post by Cheeveer »

these kind of clips tell the story of the Dakar much better than the abysmal "magazine" clips they produce.
***Some say you should live each day like it was your last... but who wants to live each day in wild panic and extreme death anxiety?

The universe, look at the hugeness of it... it is a dizzying thought that little ol' me is the centre of it all!***
Everso Biggyballies
Legendary Member
Legendary Member

Agreed on that. I have found the media coverage a bit disappointing tbh, and they try to cram too much additional info into the half hour daily TV highlights package.

Everso Biggyballies
Legendary Member
Legendary Member

Dakar Stage 6

After the rest day they moved on to the second half of the event.

In the cars on stage 6 Loeb has now moved from fifth to second, winning his second stage in a row, but Al Attiyah seems to be getting stronger and increases his lead.

General classification: Cars

1 Nasser AL-ATTIYAH QAT Toyota 021:01:31
2 Sebastien Loeb FRA Peugeot +00:37:43
3 Stephane PETERHANSEL FRA Mini +00:41:14
4 Nani ROMA ESP Mini +00:45:24
5 Cyril DESPRES FRA Mini +01:23:35

In the bikes Toby Price has admitted he is fading now, struggling with his fractured wrist, an injury I think he took into the Dakar. He is however still third thanks to the troubles. Although still 3rd he has dropped to just over 5 minutes off the lead.

Husqvarna rider Pablo Quintanilla is back in the lead after beating Kevin Benavides in Stage 6.

Only 11 seconds separated the two until Quintanilla (Chilean) started to take control late in the stage and ultimately won the day by 1:52s.

Ricky Brabec ended up sixth-fastest and dropped to second in the general classification, 4:38s behind Quintanilla.

Sam Sutherland had a bad day and has dropped to 7th overall, coming in 20 minutes behind. I think he was opening the stage today, and lost time as a result.... the problem for the starters is they have no tracks of other competitors to follow and navigation is as much a challenge as reading the terrain. Clearly the followers have the advantage of following tracks and if they see u turns know to take an alternative route. :wink:

General classification: Bikes

1 Pablo QUINTANILLA CHI Husqvarna 020:45:13
2 Ricky BRABEC USA Honda +00:04:38
3 Toby PRICE AUS KTM +00:05:17
4 Kevin BENAVIDES ARG Honda +00:08:01
5 Adrien VAN BEVEREN FRA Yamaha +00:09:32
6 Matthias WALKNER AUT KTM +00:10:46
7 Sam SUNDERLAND GBR KTM +00:21:06
8 Stefan SVITKO SVK KTM +00:31:56
9 Xavier DE SOULTRAIT FRA Yamaha +00:38:04
10 Andrew SHORT USA Husqvarna +00:38:56

Trucks.

Eduard Nikolaev (Kamaz) holds only a slightly reduced lead of 10:13s in Trucks despite finishing more than 14 minutes slower than Sergey Viazovich (MAZ), the first non-Kamaz driver to win a stage this year.

Everso Biggyballies
Legendary Member
Legendary Member

Cars

Stephane Peterhansel has cut into Nasser Al-Attiyah’s class lead but Sebastien Loeb was cruelled by electrical problems on Stage 7.

Peterhansel (French) and Nani Roma (Spanish) duelled throughout the stage before the X-Raid Mini buggy driver won out over the X-Raid Mini four-wheel-drive man by 4:33s.

They now hold second and third in the general classification, Peterhansel 29:16s behind Al-Attiyah having been over 40 minutes back at the end of the previous day.

‘Mr Dakar’ revealed that the stage was not all joy, however, and remains pessimistic about winning the Dakar for a 14th time this year.

“At the beginning, we jumped over a dune, which damaged the bonnet and left us with a bad case of whiplash,” reported Peterhansel.

“Navigating was tricky, but I think we did well because we gained time on everyone.

“We got a bit closer to Nasser, but it’ll be very hard to wrest the lead from him.

“Actually, we don’t deserve to be ahead of him because he’s doing really well and has made no mistakes so far.”

Al-Attiyah (Qatari) brought his factory Toyota Hilux home with the fourth-fastest stage time, behind Carlos Sainz Snr (Mini, Spanish), while Loeb was 11th on the day.

The Frenchman has slumped to fourth in the general classification, 54:12s from Al-Attiyah, after electrical problems in his PH-Sport Peugeot.

“The car ground to a halt after three kilometres. We managed to get it up and running, but after five kilometres it stopped again,” recounted Loeb.

“It started stopping at increasingly shorter intervals.

“We started looking for the root of the problem until we found the right socket. It was a total power failure.

“Apart from this, we didn’t make any mistakes and were quite fast.

“It’s quite demoralising, we’ll see what we can do and what we can fight for in the coming days.”

In a case of what might have been, Loeb gained around 10 minutes on Peterhansel and around 20 minutes on Al-Attiyah after the problem was fixed.
https://www.speedcafe.com/2019/01/15/br ... n-stage-7/

1 Nasser AL-ATTIYAH QAT Toyota 025:13:30
2 Stephane PETERHANSEL FRA Mini +00:29:16
3 Nani ROMA ESP Mini +00:37:59
4 Sebastien LOEB FRA Peugeot +00:54:12
5 Cyril DESPRES FRA Mini +01:20:01
6 Jakub PRZYGONSKI POL Mini +02:12:02
7 Martin PROKOP CZE Ford +02:45:33
8 Yazeed AL RAJHI KSA Mini +03:39:33
9 Bernhard TEN BRINKE NED Toyota +04:32:31
10 Carlos SAINZ ESP Mini +05:15:31

BIKES
Bikes

Honda’s Ricky Brabec has reclaimed the lead of the Dakar Rally with three stages to go as Sam Sunderland slashed his deficit to the lead.

Brabec held a narrow lead over Sunderland (KTM, British) early in the stage, a 323km special stage loop out and back from San Juan de Marcona, but eventually ended up third for the day by 6:30s.

The American’s lead in the general classification is 7:47s, with Adrien van Beveren (Yamaha, French) second and Toby Price (KTM) another 41 seconds behind in third.

“It wasn’t easy, I think I was riding too fast, riding faster than I should have,” said Brabec.

“But no close calls today, actually no close calls the entire rally, so that’s a plus and I’m keeping my fingers crossed for that until the end.

“I needed a good stage today to get me back on top, and tomorrow hopefully is a little bit easier navigation than today.

“I’m looking forward to the next three days, I think me and (Pablo) Quintanilla are going to fight back and forth until the last kilometre.”

Sunderland’s performance puts him fourth to Brabec by 9:58s, a second ahead of previous class leader Quintanilla (Husqvarna, Chilean).

“Today, apart from losing three or four minutes looking for a waypoint, the special went well,” said Sunderland, the 2017 champion.

“I wanted to push hard this morning and it paid off.”

Price was tracking well until he lost over 10 minutes between the fourth and fifth waypoints, while Quintanilla’s time loss blew out further around the same point.
https://www.speedcafe.com/2019/01/15/br ... n-stage-7/

1 Ricky BRABEC USA Honda 024:48:02
2 Adrien VAN BEVEREN FRA Yamaha +00:07:47
3 Toby PRICE AUS KTM +00:08:28
4 Sam SUNDERLAND GBR KTM +00:09:58
5 Pablo QUINTANILLA CHI Husqvarna +00:09:59
6 Kevin BENAVIDES ARG Honda +00:16:15
7 Matthias WALKNER AUT KTM +00:16:16
8 Stefan SVITKO SVK KTM +00:37:09
9 Andrew SHORT USA Husqvarna +00:39:17
10 Xavier DE SOULTRAIT FRA Yamaha +00:40:08
Last edited by Everso Biggyballies 5 years ago, edited 1 time in total.

Everso Biggyballies
Legendary Member
Legendary Member

Trucks

Stage 7
Eduard Nikolaev finished more than half an hour behind stage winner Gerard de Rooy (Iveco,) but is now more than half an hour ahead of Kamaz team-mate Dmitry Sotnikov at the top of the general classification.

In Quads, only a major disaster can stop Nicolas Cavigliasso (Yamaha) now after the Argentine won Stage 7 and went 1:15:36s clear of compatriot Jeremias Gonzalez Ferioli (Yamaha).

Early SxS rally leader Reinaldo Varela (Can-Am) is back in front after Gerard Farres Guell (Can-Am,) lost almost two hours and Sergey Karyakin (BRP, Russian) rolled.

Everso Biggyballies
Legendary Member
Legendary Member

Peterhansel suffers whiplash but continues.

As mentioned above he made decent headway on leader Nasser Al-Attiyah by winning today's stage, and moved back into second outright thanks to problems for Sebastian Loeb.

However it has surfaced that it wasn't without pain or a scare for Mr Dakar..... a nasty landing off a dune early in the stage leaving he and co-driver David Castera rattled. He was left seeing stars after a nasty landing early in the seventh stage of the 2019 Dakar Rally.

Peterhansel later confirmed he suffered "a bad case of whiplash", and elaborated on the scare to media.

"Not a perfect day," he said.

"At the beginning we jumped a dune, it was a big step. We landed on the front and destroyed the bonnet and a little bit our necks as well.

"I saw some stars in my eyes after the big impact."
Hopefully some physio will help him make it through the rest of the event without further complications from his neck.
I would like to see him take a 14th win! He seems to be the only one who can consistently match Al Attiyah's pace.

Everso Biggyballies
Legendary Member
Legendary Member

Stage 8

Nasser Al-Attiyah’s lead in the Dakar Rally is out to 46:29s as Sebastien Loeb moved back into the top three with another stage win. Loeb finished the stage up by 7:27s on Al-Attiyah, who was runner-up on the day.

Stephane Peterhansel handed a big advantage to Al-Attiyah when the X-Raid Mini driver twice found himself stuck in dunes and fell from 29:16s to 53:30s behind.

Nani Roma has snuck under the radar to now be 2nd overall just a few seconds ahead of Loeb.

1 Nasser AL-ATTIYAH QAT Toyota 029:15:50
2 Nani ROMA ESP Mini +00:46:29
3 Sebastien Loeb FRA Peugeot +00:46:45
4 Stephane PETERHANSEL FRA Mini +00:53:30
5 Cyril DESPRES FRA Mini +02:15:27

TRUCKS

There has been a major shake-up in the trucks with sand also trapping Eduard Nikolaev, who was almost an hour slower than Kamaz team-mate Dmitry Sotnikov and is now second to his fellow Russian by 26:49s in the general classification.

BIKES

Thanks to an engine failure to the leader Brabec, with 2 stages to go Toby Price has now assumed the lead in the bikes despite not yet having won a stage in this years rally. The bikes overall classification remains tight with several riders all withing 10 minutes of the lead.

1 Toby PRICE AUS KTM 028:53:08
2 Pablo QUINTANILLA CHI Husqvarna +00:01:03
3 Matthias WALKNER AUT KTM +00:06:35
4 Sam SUNDERLAND GBR KTM +00:06:38
5 Adrien VAN BEVEREN FRA Yamaha +00:09:54
6 Kevin BENAVIDES ARG Honda +00:21:41
7 Andrew SHORT USA Husqvarna +00:39:27
8 Xavier DE SOULTRAIT FRA Yamaha +00:46:17
9 Luciano BENAVIDES ARG KTM +01:04:24
10 Jose Ignacio CORNEJO FLORIMO CHI Honda +01:05:44

Everso Biggyballies
Legendary Member
Legendary Member

Stage 9

Cars

Just one more stage to go and it looks good for Al-Attiya in the cars. He is now over 50 minutes ahead of the field as others in the leading pack struggled.

Roma (Mini), continued his consistent run taking another second. He is looking good to keep his second overall as other contenders struck problems.

Stephane Peterhansel crashed his Mini into a dune early in the stage, requiring his co-driver David Castera to be taken to hospital with back pain. His first Dakar DNF since 2009.

Sebasten Loeb broke his transmission, changed it for his spare, and then broke that one as well, having to wait for a team mate to come along and lend him his spare. He lost over two hours in the process, although with Mr Dakar's exit he remarkably still holds 3rd overall.

1 Nasser AL-ATTIYAH QAT Toyota 033:09:12
2 Nani ROMA ESP Mini +00:51:27
3 Sebastien Loeb FRA Peugeot +02:02:37
4 Jakub PRZYGONSKI POL Mini +02:33:51
5 Cyril DESPRES FRA Mini +02:55:13

Bikes

Toby Price will take a lead of just over a minute in the final stage of the 2019 Dakar Rally after all but matching his nearest rival, Husqvarna’s Pablo Quintanilla, on Stage 9. He finished just one second slower. 2018 champion Walkner remains 6:35s back and more than half an hour ahead of fourth position.

Sutherland was hit with a one-hour penalty before the stage started for altering his 'Iritrack' GPS system and is now eighth overall. Van Beveren’s Yamaha suffered an engine problem with 16 kilometres to go, and although he finished it was a long way back. Im not sure of the reason but he was excluded from the event after the stage was finished.

1 Toby PRICE AUS KTM 032:43:15
2 Pablo QUINTANILLA CHI Husqvarna +00:01:02
3 Matthias WALKNER AUT KTM +00:06:35
4 Andrew SHORT USA Husqvarna +00:40:01
5 Xavier DE SOULTRAIT FRA Yamaha +00:47:44
6 Jose Ignacio CORNEJO FLORIMO CHI Honda +01:05:45
7 Luciano BENAVIDES ARG KTM +01:05:50
8 Sam SUNDERLAND GBR KTM +01:10:15
9 Oriol MENA ESP Speedbrain +01:52:20
10 Daniel NOSIGLIA JAGER BOL Honda +02:21:51

Trucks

Eduard Nikolaev, who got beached on the previous stage, has turned the tables in the Trucks with a stage win that puts him back in front of Kamaz team-mate and fellow Russian Dmitry Sotnikov.

Just one stage remains in the Rally, with the field set to return to Lima on a relatively short 112km special stage (plus 247km liaison).

Cheeveer

Post by Cheeveer »

Loeb will get it next time. If he still can drive that Pug.

Full stage onboard, this is what we want to see! Proper adventure, and this is only the "short" last stage!

***Some say you should live each day like it was your last... but who wants to live each day in wild panic and extreme death anxiety?

The universe, look at the hugeness of it... it is a dizzying thought that little ol' me is the centre of it all!***
Everso Biggyballies
Legendary Member
Legendary Member

Thanks for sharing that.... it brought home to me just how tricky it must be to navigate in the desert with it all looking so similar. How the early runners manage with no tracks to follow amazes me. I understand now more about why early runners lose so much time through navigation errors.

Re Loeb the Peugeot was entered privately... whether that means it is privately owned, or the works car loaned with no support is another story.
If privately owned as long as they can get the backing one would imagine he could run again.

I get the impression Loeb, and certainly his co driver Daniel Elena, did not enjoy this year as much as previous years. I think the issue was mainly to do with the route maps being dangerously wrong. At one stage this year Elena wanted to quit I think... :dunno:

Cheeveer

Post by Cheeveer »

Monte has started!