F1 eSports

Current motorsport related news, information and discussion on any series that does not fit in the above or below categories
Picci
Advanced Member
Advanced Member
Favourite Motorsport: Formula One
Favourite Racing Car: Ferrari
Favourite Driver: Kimi Raikkonen
Favourite Circuit: Spa Francorchamps
Car(s) Currently Owned: Honda Fit

F1 eSports

Post by Picci »

Anyone watching this at all? I was watching SkyF1 at an odd time and saw a certain Brendan Leigh leading in a Merc and aggressively blocking everyone behind him.

Seems funny having people like Palmer and Valsecchi commenting on the 'race'. Although I suppose it is good fun to watch.
MonteCristo
Favourite Motorsport: Openwheel
Favourite Racing Car: Tyrrell P34/Protos
Favourite Driver: JV
Favourite Circuit: Road America

Post by MonteCristo »

Is Valsecchi still constantly talking about the contender?
Oscar Piastri in F1! Catch the fever! Vettel Hate Club. Life membership.

2012 GTP Non-Championship Champion | 2012 Guess the Kai-Star Half Marathon Time Champion | 2018 GTP Champion | 2019 GTP Champion
John
Ultimate Member
Ultimate Member

Post by John »

Sadly it will only get bigger. I guess it’s the future now. MotorSport Mag ran a story on it a month ago, many former racers apparently doing it. And it pays handsomely too.

But don’t try to fool me into thinking that watching a few chubby blokes playing a computer game is worthy of any praise.
2018 GTP Accuracy champion.

CEREAL IS A SOUP.
erwin greven
Staff
Staff
Favourite Motorsport: Endurance Racing
Favourite Racing Car: Lancia Delta 038 S4 Group B
Favourite Driver: Ronnie Peterson
Favourite Circuit: Nuerburgring Nordschleife
Car(s) Currently Owned: Peugeot 206 SW Air-Line 3 2007

Post by erwin greven »

John wrote: 5 years ago But don’t try to fool me into thinking that watching a few chubby blokes playing a computer game is worthy of any praise.
:agreepost:
Brian Redman: "Mr. Fangio, how do you come so fast?" "More throttle, less brakes...."
DoubleFart
Elite Member
Elite Member
Favourite Motorsport: F1

Post by DoubleFart »

We're "old" and "don't get it".
Gavle Yule Goat Predictor 2018, 2019 and 2021 Champion
MonteCristo wrote: 2 years agoVettel: Not a fan at all on track. But off track, good guy.
MonteCristo

Post by MonteCristo »

I understand esports in the case of games where there isn't a real life equivalent (StarCraft, etc).

However, people being cheered on to play F1, football, NFL, etc, on a computer... Meh.

2012 GTP Non-Championship Champion | 2012 Guess the Kai-Star Half Marathon Time Champion | 2018 GTP Champion | 2019 GTP Champion
kals
Legendary Member
Legendary Member
Favourite Motorsport: F1..BTCC..MotoGP
Favourite Racing Car: Benetton B189
Favourite Circuit: Donington Park

Post by kals »

Big money in esports and online tournaments. A old college friend in England used to attend Doom WAN tournaments sponsored by BT back in the 90’s. F1 is trying to tap into a market segment they’ve under exploited for many years, kids who have short attention spans who they can involve both in a viewing and gameplay / money spending capacity using the same platform which doesn’t actually directly involve the sport itself. Many sports and games franchises have been doing that for years now.

A few years back I saw uploads of rFactor online races on RFM / RU. I didn’t understand the need or the interest. Fast forward to now and I subscribe to a couple of YouTube channels for online racers (EmptyBox and JimmyBroadbent) who I find interesting to follow.
John
Ultimate Member
Ultimate Member

Post by John »

kals wrote: 5 years ago Big money in esports and online tournaments. A old college friend in England used to attend Doom WAN tournaments sponsored by BT back in the 90’s. F1 is trying to tap into a market segment they’ve under exploited for many years, kids who have short attention spans who they can involve both in a viewing and gameplay / money spending capacity using the same platform which doesn’t actually directly involve the sport itself. Many sports and games franchises have been doing that for years now.

A few years back I saw uploads of rFactor online races on RFM / RU. I didn’t understand the need or the interest. Fast forward to now and I subscribe to a couple of YouTube channels for online racers (EmptyBox and JimmyBroadbent) who I find interesting to follow.
Oh I can look at playthroughs, I used to sub to Jimmy as well before I found him tiring. I sub to and watch videos about Age of Empires 2, Bioshock and some other games. But I'm not interested in following an E-sport F1 championship.

But I'm not so sure it doesn't cater to fans who aren't already interested in F1. Racing games are such a niched genre anyway. But if they make some cash from it, go for it. I doubt it'll replace the real F1 anyway.
2018 GTP Accuracy champion.

CEREAL IS A SOUP.
MonteCristo

Post by MonteCristo »

How funny. I sub to EmptyBox and used to for JimmyBroadbent as well.

Jimmy did indeed get annoying. But I watch(ed) both of them not so much for the racing they do (I've watched the odd race here or there, but rarely), but mostly to see the games themselves they play and keep my overall interest in sims alive for when I do get back into them again.

Can't wait to get a proper gaming rig again in maybe 8 years, get my hands on the latest iteration VR headset, get a faux openwheel cockpit seating position and go at it. I think it'll blow my mind compared to rF2 from a few years ago, and everything that came before it.