Formula E 2017-18 Season

Current motorsport related news, information and discussion on any series that does not fit in the above or below categories
MonteCristo
Favourite Motorsport: Openwheel
Favourite Racing Car: Tyrrell P34/Protos
Favourite Driver: JV
Favourite Circuit: Road America

Post by MonteCristo »

Bottom post of the previous page:

LaraCroft2016 wrote: 6 years ago Win for Vergne from pole in Paris, what could have ended 1-2 for techeetah ended bad for Lotterer who ran out of power in the last lap, any advice for seeing more overtakes in formula e? drs? kers?
Wider tracks. More power.
Oscar Piastri in F1! Catch the fever! Vettel Hate Club. Life membership.

2012 GTP Non-Championship Champion | 2012 Guess the Kai-Star Half Marathon Time Champion | 2018 GTP Champion | 2019 GTP Champion
Everso Biggyballies
Legendary Member
Legendary Member
Favourite Motorsport: Anything that goes left and right.
Favourite Racing Car: Too Many to mention
Favourite Driver: Kimi,Niki,Jim(none called Michael)
Favourite Circuit: Nordschleife, Spa, Mt Panorama.
Car(s) Currently Owned: Audi SQ5 3.0L V6 TwinTurbo
Location: Just moved 3 klms further away so now 11 klms from Albert Park, Melbourne.

Post by Everso Biggyballies »

Wider tracks certainly. The tracks they use are generally naff, which limits the racing ..... and encourages driver stupidity and excess risk taking unfortunately.

* I started life with nothing, and still have most of it left

“Good drivers have dead flies on the side windows!” (Walter Röhrl)

* I married Miss Right. Just didn't know her first name was Always
Everso Biggyballies
Legendary Member
Legendary Member
Location: Just moved 3 klms further away so now 11 klms from Albert Park, Melbourne.

Felipe Massa signs Formula E deal for 3 years

Felipe Massa becomes another one of the ex F1 drivers to sign up for Fomula E in his 'retirement'. He joins the likes of Alguersuari, Buemi, Chandhok, Ambrosio, Heidfeld, Kobayashi, Gutiérrez, Jani, Lotterer, Liuzzi, Montagny, Pic, Piquet Jnr, Sarrazin. Sato, Senna, Speed, Trulli, Vergne, Wilson, Yamamoto, even JV was one the ex F1 drivers who are currently racing or have had a go at FE at some stage. Im sure there are others. Gasly did FE prior to him stepping up to F1.
The Venturi Formula E team has signed Formula 1 race winner Felipe Massa on a three-year contract that will see him compete in the series beginning next season.

The Brazilian inked a deal with the Monaco-based team that will see him on the grid from the 2018/19 campaign, and will take part in a private test session in the squad’s current car before the end of the month.

“I’m very happy to be joining the Venturi Formula E Team and the Formula E championship, which has become a magnificent competition in such a short space of time,” said Massa.

“For some years now, I’ve been clear about my interest in this innovative, forward-looking discipline that’s developing exponentially.

“I especially like the format of race meetings, the city-centre circuits and the contact with the fans.

“I can’t wait to take part in testing at the end of the month. Gildo (Pastor, Venturi president) has always been a step ahead when it comes to high performance electricity vehicles.

“The team is in a phase of growth and development. I’ll do everything I can to contribute to the project and hopefully I’ll be among the front runners.”

Ian-S
Legendary Member
Legendary Member

Post by Ian-S »

MonteCristo wrote: 6 years ago
LaraCroft2016 wrote: 6 years ago Win for Vergne from pole in Paris, what could have ended 1-2 for techeetah ended bad for Lotterer who ran out of power in the last lap, any advice for seeing more overtakes in formula e? drs? kers?
Wider tracks. More power.
Never gonna happen with present battery technology.
I am very sorry if you find my posts long and boring, I like to type and often go off on a tangent.
If this is the case, you may click here to solve the problem, or alternatively here too.
kals
Legendary Member
Legendary Member
Favourite Motorsport: F1..BTCC..MotoGP
Favourite Racing Car: Benetton B189
Favourite Circuit: Donington Park

Post by kals »

Haven't they been talking about more power with the next generation of cars? I think that aligns to your point @Ian-S of new battery technology.
Antonov
Legendary Member
Legendary Member
Favourite Motorsport: Formula 1
Favourite Racing Car: MP4/13 ; F40
Favourite Driver: M. Hakkinen
Favourite Circuit: Some shitty street circuit
Car(s) Currently Owned: VW Golf GTI

Post by Antonov »

FE really is the equivalent of Champcar from the 90s.
Ian-S
Legendary Member
Legendary Member

Post by Ian-S »

There is no new technology, that's not to say they are not increasing capacity in the next car to make it last the race, but there has been no major breakthroughs since lifi a few years back.

The only improvements are higher quality batteries and a more refined production process which have led to small advancements in capacity, LG have pushed their 18650 range to 3 Amps now from a previous max of 2 just by cleaning up the manufacturing process, I keep meaning to buy a couple of these super LG cells to play with, see if they are as good as claimed.

I wouldn't be surprised to find the weight of the car has been reduced to make up for the extra weight of the increased battery capacity, rather than there being any huge great leaps in the technology itself. As most drone flyers know, increasing capacity (power) usually adds weight, so eventually you get to the point where the increased capacity (weight) starts to reduce efficiency because the power cannot overcome the weight, unless you start going on a diet.

I hope there is some major breakthrough soon, I'm fedup with only having 5-10 minutes flight time lol
I am very sorry if you find my posts long and boring, I like to type and often go off on a tangent.
If this is the case, you may click here to solve the problem, or alternatively here too.
Ian-S
Legendary Member
Legendary Member

Post by Ian-S »

Antonov wrote: 5 years ago FE really is the equivalent of Champcar from the 90s.
Formula E is a marketing con dreamed up by a failed Spanish politician, so yeah, not much difference to those airheads who were running Champcar in the 90's.
kals
Legendary Member
Legendary Member
Favourite Motorsport: F1..BTCC..MotoGP
Favourite Racing Car: Benetton B189
Favourite Circuit: Donington Park

Post by kals »

Ian-S wrote: 5 years ago
Antonov wrote: 5 years ago FE really is the equivalent of Champcar from the 90s.
Formula E is a marketing con dreamed up by a failed Spanish politician, so yeah, not much difference to those airheads who were running Champcar in the 2000's.
*ahem*
Ian-S
Legendary Member
Legendary Member

Post by Ian-S »

*likes*
MonteCristo

Post by MonteCristo »

New car in action:

The God-awful halo makes it look like a sports car or something.

2012 GTP Non-Championship Champion | 2012 Guess the Kai-Star Half Marathon Time Champion | 2018 GTP Champion | 2019 GTP Champion
LaraCroft2016
Bronze Member
Bronze Member
Favourite Motorsport: F1, Indycar, Nascar
Favourite Racing Car: Williams-Renault
Favourite Driver: Ayrton Senna, Dale Earnhardt
Favourite Circuit: Daytona, Talladega, Spa
Car(s) Currently Owned: no

Post by LaraCroft2016 »

First win for Di Grassi this year and the battle for the title is open between Vergne and Bird, many drivers with drive through in Zurich.
"The attacks to the twin towers were planned since 1982" Osama Bin Laden in 2004
LaraCroft2016
Bronze Member
Bronze Member
Favourite Motorsport: F1, Indycar, Nascar
Favourite Racing Car: Williams-Renault
Favourite Driver: Ayrton Senna, Dale Earnhardt
Favourite Circuit: Daytona, Talladega, Spa
Car(s) Currently Owned: no

Post by LaraCroft2016 »

It seems I'm the only one that follows formula E here, well, Vergne is the champion this season, techeetah is a very strong team and has a very good car.
"The attacks to the twin towers were planned since 1982" Osama Bin Laden in 2004
Everso Biggyballies
Legendary Member
Legendary Member

LaraCroft2016 wrote: 5 years ago It seems I'm the only one that follows formula E here
I actually watched the first race..... but the most memorable thing to me in the race was the great opportunistic TV exposure got by the Boss sponsored Maxi race yacht which cruised around the harbour at super slow speed in the background, ensuring plenty of free exposuure on the TV for sponsor Boss, with logo and name emblazoned all over the sails. The car race itself, not so memorable. :whistling:

erwin greven
Staff
Staff
Favourite Motorsport: Endurance Racing
Favourite Racing Car: Lancia Delta 038 S4 Group B
Favourite Driver: Ronnie Peterson
Favourite Circuit: Nuerburgring Nordschleife
Car(s) Currently Owned: Peugeot 206 SW Air-Line 3 2007

Post by erwin greven »

LaraCroft2016 wrote: 5 years ago It seems I'm the only one that follows formula E here....
Haven't watched a single race. But its the same with Nascar and indy car.
Brian Redman: "Mr. Fangio, how do you come so fast?" "More throttle, less brakes...."
MonteCristo

Post by MonteCristo »

LaraCroft2016 wrote: 5 years ago It seems I'm the only one that follows formula E here
The tracks kill it for me.