Formula E 2017-18 Season

Current motorsport related news, information and discussion on any series that does not fit in the above or below categories
Everso Biggyballies
Legendary Member
Legendary Member
Favourite Motorsport: Anything that goes left and right.
Favourite Racing Car: Too Many to mention
Favourite Driver: Kimi,Niki,Jim(none called Michael)
Favourite Circuit: Nordschleife, Spa, Mt Panorama.
Car(s) Currently Owned: Audi SQ5 3.0L V6 TwinTurbo
Location: Just moved 3 klms further away so now 11 klms from Albert Park, Melbourne.

Post by Everso Biggyballies »

Bottom post of the previous page:

Everso Biggyballies wrote: 6 years ago Apparently the DSQ has been appealed to the FIA International Court of Appeal....
Audi has announced that it will not appeal Daniel Abt's exclusion from victory in the second race of Formula E's season-opening double-header in Hong Kong.
Audi had notified its intention to appeal Abt's exclusion, but will no longer do so.
"We took the time to carefully review all documents and processes," said Team Principal Allan McNish.

"We gained no advantage as a result of the administrative error and all parts fully complied to homologation and the technical regulations at all times.

"Still, we accept the decision of the FIA and fully back the technical passport regulations.

"Our team made a small mistake with big consequences that we own up to, unfortunately that deprived Daniel of his very deserved victory of which we can only apologise for.

* I started life with nothing, and still have most of it left

“Good drivers have dead flies on the side windows!” (Walter Röhrl)

* I married Miss Right. Just didn't know her first name was Always
Michkov
Advanced Member
Advanced Member

Post by Michkov »

Ian-S wrote: 6 years ago One question? Are they still swapping cars mid-race or have they made the battery breakthrough we're all wanting?
The are not even allowed to touch the battery. It's been the same since they started the series. The regulations allowed a bit more energy to be used that was just a software tweak as I understand it.
kals
Legendary Member
Legendary Member
Favourite Motorsport: F1..BTCC..MotoGP
Favourite Racing Car: Benetton B189
Favourite Circuit: Donington Park

Post by kals »

Michkov wrote: 6 years ago
Ian-S wrote: 6 years ago One question? Are they still swapping cars mid-race or have they made the battery breakthrough we're all wanting?
The are not even allowed to touch the battery. It's been the same since they started the series. The regulations allowed a bit more energy to be used that was just a software tweak as I understand it.
kals wrote: 6 years ago@Ian-S I understand the battery life and subsequent car changes is being held for the first 4-5 seasons, to keep costs down. Then battery development will be opened up, like with power unit development.
Ian-S
Legendary Member
Legendary Member

Post by Ian-S »

Yeah, I thought they were moving to the McLaren battery this year but guess not.

The batteries presently in the cars could probably produce even more power, but there are some limits you don't go near, let alone push when it comes to lipos, just one will burn a house down so imagine what the 100+ cells in an FE car would do if they took exception to how much power the car was asking for lol
I am very sorry if you find my posts long and boring, I like to type and often go off on a tangent.
If this is the case, you may click here to solve the problem, or alternatively here too.
Michkov
Advanced Member
Advanced Member

Post by Michkov »

Stationary yellow can cover that :D
erwin greven
Staff
Staff
Favourite Motorsport: Endurance Racing
Favourite Racing Car: Lancia Delta 038 S4 Group B
Favourite Driver: Ronnie Peterson
Favourite Circuit: Nuerburgring Nordschleife
Car(s) Currently Owned: Peugeot 206 SW Air-Line 3 2007

Post by erwin greven »

Montreal mayor cancels Formula E race

Mayor Valerie Plante announced that the city is canceling July's season-ending Formula E race, citing financial mismanagement by event organizers and the city's previous administration that would cost taxpayers more than $30 million dollars.

Plante, who was elected as the city's mayor in November, began a series of postings on Twitter by saying "We have worked very hard to make an informed decision about the future of the Formula E [race] in Montreal, in the best interest of the [people]."

"When we took office we immediately started looking into the Formula E file. What we discovered was not only troubling, it was shocking. It became pretty clear as early as May 2017 that we were heading towards a financial fiasco."

Radio-Canada reported that race organizers – a nonprofit organization that contracted with Formula E and not the city – exhausted a $10 million line of credit, which Plante said the city capped "in order to stop the bleeding." The city is responsible for the line of credit.

"Upon our arrival [in office], we very quickly found enormous challenges...[of which] the previous administration was fully aware," she said.

Former mayor Denis Coderre advocated for the Formula E race as a means to promote sustainable energy initiatives in Montreal. But it used public funds, and last year's race left a deficit of millions of dollars, according to Radio-Canada. It was also revealed through "Montreal it's electric," the nonprofit created to organize the race, that attendance numbers had been inflated; while 25,000 tickets were sold at least 20,000 tickets had been given away.

During her election campaign, Plante said she would either hold the race at Circuit Gilles Villeneuve – due to an outcry over the downtown location – or cancel it. Plante said on Monday that she and involved parties met to see if it was possible to restart the process.

"We had 3 options in mind: moving the race to the Circuit Gilles Villeneuve, building a temporary race track somewhere else, taking a one year break in order to clean the house and work on a better business model," she said.

"My administration is willing to take risks and to invest money to promote Montreal, to attract international events, but not without a serious business case. The administrators of Formula E told me they couldn't bridge the gap for 2018 because they are accountable to their stakeholders, I reminded them that we are accountable to the people of Montreal.

"This is where we draw the line. Formula E will not return to Montreal in these conditions."

Formula E has not yet commented.

The race's future in Montreal is unknown; the Formula E race was scheduled continue in 2019.

News of the Montreal cancellation comes several weeks after the Sao Paulo race was postponed to season five and Punta del Este was added as its replacement.
http://www.racer.com/formula-e/item/146 ... ula-e-race
Brian Redman: "Mr. Fangio, how do you come so fast?" "More throttle, less brakes...."
Ian-S
Legendary Member
Legendary Member

Post by Ian-S »

I'll simply repeat what I said elsewhere, I am starting to see a trend here....
I am very sorry if you find my posts long and boring, I like to type and often go off on a tangent.
If this is the case, you may click here to solve the problem, or alternatively here too.
Everso Biggyballies
Legendary Member
Legendary Member
Location: Just moved 3 klms further away so now 11 klms from Albert Park, Melbourne.

They (City of Montreal) have I understand this year already blown c$40 mill on upgrading the pitlane facilities required by F1 to continue holding a GP at Circuit Gilles Villeneuve.
Difficult to justify 2 races in the same city costing tens of millions of taxpayer's money. $30 million is an awful lot of money to put on a race (even if that is the cost of the 2 remaining races contracted to), especially when they only sell 25000 tickets, and where they give away as many tickets as they sell pretty much. Add to that you have to take into account the relative limited media/TV coverage of FE v F1.

kals
Legendary Member
Legendary Member

Post by kals »

There was a chance of moving Formula E to Circuit Gilles Villeneuve however there isn't a circuit configuration suitable for Formula E cars.
MonteCristo
Favourite Motorsport: Openwheel
Favourite Racing Car: Tyrrell P34/Protos
Favourite Driver: JV
Favourite Circuit: Road America

Post by MonteCristo »

kals wrote: 6 years ago There was a chance of moving Formula E to Circuit Gilles Villeneuve however there isn't a circuit configuration suitable for Formula E cars.
The track isn't whacky racers enough, huh?
Oscar Piastri in F1! Catch the fever! Vettel Hate Club. Life membership.

2012 GTP Non-Championship Champion | 2012 Guess the Kai-Star Half Marathon Time Champion | 2018 GTP Champion | 2019 GTP Champion
Everso Biggyballies
Legendary Member
Legendary Member

MonteCristo wrote: 6 years ago
kals wrote: 6 years ago There was a chance of moving Formula E to Circuit Gilles Villeneuve however there isn't a circuit configuration suitable for Formula E cars.
The track isn't whacky racers enough, huh?
Probably dont have enough diesel burning generators to charge them all up!

Ian-S
Legendary Member
Legendary Member

Post by Ian-S »

LOL, you think the FE bubble is about to burst? People seeing through the bullshit for what it really is?
kals
Legendary Member
Legendary Member

Post by kals »

But but but... the environment?!
LaraCroft2016
Bronze Member
Bronze Member
Favourite Motorsport: F1, Indycar, Nascar
Favourite Racing Car: Williams-Renault
Favourite Driver: Ayrton Senna, Dale Earnhardt
Favourite Circuit: Daytona, Talladega, Spa
Car(s) Currently Owned: no

Post by LaraCroft2016 »

Win for Rosenqvist in Morocco, second place for Buemi, there were overtakes for being a street course, now the swedish is candidate for the title, the next race is in three weeks in Chile
"The attacks to the twin towers were planned since 1982" Osama Bin Laden in 2004
John
Ultimate Member
Ultimate Member

Post by John »

I see I'm late to the party as usual.

Step aside, please.

*clears throat*

Ahem.

FFFFEEEEELLLLIIIIIXXXX MAAAAHHH BOOOOIIII!!!
2018 GTP Accuracy champion.

CEREAL IS A SOUP.
Everso Biggyballies
Legendary Member
Legendary Member

erwin greven wrote: 6 years ago
Montreal mayor cancels Formula E race
As Montreal was scheduled to be the season finale the organisers of FE have now decided to not replace Montreal with another event but instead to reduce the schedule from 14 to 12 races (Montreal was to be a double header weekend) and instead the preceding round in New York becomes the double header season finale.
New York will host the final round of this year's Formula E championship after series organisers opted not to replace the Montreal event.

The respective cities both joined the schedule in 2016/17 with each event hosting two races, and Montreal installed as the season finale.

The approach was set to be repeated in 2017/18, but Montreal's newly-elected mayor scrapped the event, amid criticism from locals, speculation over misused finances, and low ticket sales.

A proposal to shift the event from the centre of the city to the Circuit Gilles Villeneuve was a no-go, with the island venue set to start construction work immediately after the Canadian Grand Prix.

As a result, Formula E will not replace the two-race round, with New York now installed as the season finale in mid-July, and the calendar reduced from 14 to 12 races.

It is the second major in-season calendar change after officials brought back the Punta del Este event to replace the postponed Sao Paulo round.