Misc Aus Racing discussion

Current motorsport related news, information and discussion on any series that does not fit in the above or below categories
theracer120
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post by theracer120 »

Bottom post of the previous page:

https://www.speedcafe.com/2020/11/12/s5 ... -calendar/

The 2021 season calendar is out. There will only be 4 rounds (+1 non-championship demonstration) from Jan-Apr because they're planning to switch to a summer series format which will be starting in September of next year. There is a TBA in March which will probably be at the Grand Prix if that goes ahead.
Everso Biggyballies
Legendary Member
Legendary Member
Favourite Motorsport: Anything that goes left and right.
Favourite Racing Car: Too Many to mention
Favourite Driver: Kimi,Niki,Jim(none called Michael)
Favourite Circuit: Nordschleife, Spa, Mt Panorama.
Car(s) Currently Owned: Audi SQ5 3.0L V6 TwinTurbo
Location: Just moved 3 klms further away so now 11 klms from Albert Park, Melbourne.

Post by Everso Biggyballies »

Just a heads up to those in Australia that might be home on this public holiday....

Full coverage of the Symmonds Plain S5000, TCR, Touring Car Masters and TransAm races can be watched live throughout the day on 7PLUS online
https://7plus.com.au/live-tv?channel-id=7POP1

Overseas folk with a VPN should be OK to watch it also.

Thomas Randle has delivered a stunning performance on return from testicular cancer treatment to clinch the first pole of the 2021 VHT S5000 Australian Drivers’ Championship.

In doing so he broke the outright circuit lap record which has stood since 1980 when Alfredo Cosstanzo, driving a Lola T430 Chevrolet (original) Formula 5000 set a 50.16 lap. Randle has just set pole with a 49.995.

TCR Qualy is next up, and the meeting continues tomorrow for Australia Day. (Holdsworth has provisional pole for the TCR race in an Alfa.)

Love the sound of those S5000.... a few bytes from practice.

* I started life with nothing, and still have most of it left

“Good drivers have dead flies on the side windows!” (Walter Röhrl)

* I married Miss Right. Just didn't know her first name was Always
MonteCristo
Favourite Motorsport: Openwheel
Favourite Racing Car: Tyrrell P34/Protos
Favourite Driver: JV
Favourite Circuit: Road America

Post by MonteCristo »

This is exactly the type of series that should allow people to open the aero rules somewhat, and allow them to use aluminium for wings.

The thing that makes me a bit meh about the series is that it's not a development series, nor is it a top-class series (ok, top class in Australia, but that's not saying much), but it's still a spec series. It's a bit ho-hum.

I want to see some backyard mechanics, damnit. That would add interest.
Oscar Piastri in F1! Catch the fever! Vettel Hate Club. Life membership.

2012 GTP Non-Championship Champion | 2012 Guess the Kai-Star Half Marathon Time Champion | 2018 GTP Champion | 2019 GTP Champion
Everso Biggyballies
Legendary Member
Legendary Member
Location: Just moved 3 klms further away so now 11 klms from Albert Park, Melbourne.

S5000 25 lap race just started.... live on 7PLUS for Aussies and those with VPN. (Yes it is live on a Tuesday... its Australia Day and a big long weekend here.)
https://7plus.com.au/live-tv scroll down and click the TCR link.

theracer120
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post by theracer120 »

Randle wins the final race of the weekend after being in chemo only a few weeks ago.
Everso Biggyballies
Legendary Member
Legendary Member

theracer120 wrote: 3 years ago Randle wins the final race of the weekend after being in chemo only a few weeks ago.
Brilliant and very happy for him. Golding made a bit of a mess of it.... tried a bit of a bump and run and discovered what works in touring cars doesnt work in open wheelers!

Highlights from race 1.... im sure the other races will follow shortly.

theracer120
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post by theracer120 »

The Phillip Island round has been postponed to a yet-undertimined date due to the 5-day lockdown in Melbourne.
Everso Biggyballies
Legendary Member
Legendary Member

theracer120 wrote: 3 years ago The Phillip Island round has been postponed to a yet-undertimined date due to the 5-day lockdown in Melbourne.
That race is now rescheduled for this weekend obviously back at PI.

Thomas Randle , who leads the title chase after the opening round held earlier in the year at Symmons Plain in Tasmania, has launched a new livery for the rest of the year encompassing title/naming rights sponsorship from Castrol. I think the car looks great.

Randle was on course to go full-time in the Supercars Championship this year.

However, the was unable to make the transition from the Super2 Series to the main game after Tickford Racing failed to secure a Racing Entitlements Contract.

Randle has been signed to co-drive in this year’s Bathurst 1000 with Tickford Racing off the back of winning last year’s Supercars feeder series.

Busy time for S5000 over the next couple of weeks with this weekends race as part of the TCR Australia meeting, and the following weekend they are on the Supercars programme at Sandown.

I wish Thomas all the very best.... lets not forget that his career prospects were thrown into turmoil at the end of last year with his diagnosis of testicular cancer. It all started when he had terrible pains from the harness straps 'down there' at Newcastle in the final Super 2 round last year. Tests showed his problem was more than a harness issue.
Randle first went public with his cancer fight in January when he had surgery to remove the tumour. Since then things have changed.

IInitially there was a lot of confidence that a bout of surgery would stop the cancer in its tracks, and that Randle would be on the grid for the (subsequently cancelled) Super2 opener in Adelaide. Troubling numbers from tumour markers subsequently sent all that out the window.

The cancer proved to be more advanced than first thought. Not untreatable – Randle's chances of survival are still north of 95 per cent – but advanced enough to require proper chemotherapy. He underwent a chemo programme prior to Symmons Plain.

The guy is just 24...... apparently testicular cancer is the most commonly diagnosed cancer after skin cancer in men aged 20–39. In Australia alone, about 850 men are diagnosed with testicular cancer each year.

So yeah, best wishes for his progress in Motor Sport and of course fingers crossed for a full recovery from the cancer. :fingers: :fingers:

MonteCristo
Favourite Motorsport: Openwheel
Favourite Racing Car: Tyrrell P34/Protos
Favourite Driver: JV
Favourite Circuit: Road America

Post by MonteCristo »

Best wish, and slick livery!
Oscar Piastri in F1! Catch the fever! Vettel Hate Club. Life membership.

2012 GTP Non-Championship Champion | 2012 Guess the Kai-Star Half Marathon Time Champion | 2018 GTP Champion | 2019 GTP Champion
theracer120
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post by theracer120 »

From what I've heard last Tom's battle is going well. He's not the only prominent driver fighting cancer at the moment too with John Bowe recently being diagnosed with prostate cancer.

Schedule for the weekend here.

https://www.speedcafe.com/2021/03/04/sc ... tcr-round/
Everso Biggyballies
Legendary Member
Legendary Member

theracer120 wrote: 3 years ago From what I've heard last Tom's battle is going well. He's not the only prominent driver fighting cancer at the moment too with John Bowe recently being diagnosed with prostate cancer.

Schedule for the weekend here.

https://www.speedcafe.com/2021/03/04/sc ... tcr-round/
Yes I saw John Bowe at PI last weekend..... driving the ex Carroll Shelby Allard. Wished him all the best with his treatment. He seemed very on top of things, chatting to all and full of smiles and waves to everyone.

theracer120
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post by theracer120 »

Some good drives today.

17 year old Cooper Webster won a very wet second S5000 heat holding off Randle, while Chaz Mostert won the equally wet first TCR race by a whopping 32 seconds in only a 15 lap race.

The first S5000 race went to Tim Macrow, while the rather chaotic first ever GT World Challenge Australia race was won by Garth Tander and Yasser Shahin.
Everso Biggyballies
Legendary Member
Legendary Member

The wet weather race yesterday was insane. Crazy conditions. Better weather today, bright and sunny, and the feature S5000 race has just started. Got about 500 metres before Herne tried to pass pole setter Randle for the lead using a gap that wasnt there. Golding launched high into the air off the rear of Randle and Herne's race was over. Obviously an SC and have to say I am so surprised that Randle escaped with not even a puncture. Waiting on a restart.

Everso Biggyballies
Legendary Member
Legendary Member

The race was red flagged and restarted later.
Randle led the restart from Mawson before locking up a couple of laps later and Mawson passed him. Randle then fell behind Macrow and Golding before the end, maybe as a result of some damage from the earlier instance I dont know. Golding passed Macrow but Mawson held on for the win.

Randle still leads the championship. Next round is next weekend at Sandown where they are on the Supercars programme for the original Grand Prix event replacement.

Everso Biggyballies
Legendary Member
Legendary Member

First race of the weekend at Sandown just got off to a bad start. A damp track and on the opening lap we had a bit of contact in the lead group. Nothing serious but in the tangle series leader Thomas Randle made contact with a car and bent a steering arm. Race was red flagged whilst his car was recovered and they are about to head out of an SC led restart.

Everyone started the original race on wets but noticed that for the restart a couple have chosen slicks, including the leader Nathan Herne. It will be interesting as the track is deffo still damp. Randle obviously wont make the restart.

Its not a full restart so this race which will be started behind the SC and those laps will count.

Just about to restart now. The slicks I think are the right call in race terms although maybe not in the first laps. Of course another shower will throw that out of the window.

Herne has already had a bit of an off after the restart and rejoined down the field, leaving team mate James Golding in the lead. Golding also on slicks.

Everso Biggyballies
Legendary Member
Legendary Member

Interesting in that Golding leads on slicks but 2nd and 3rd are right on him atm running wets.