Misc Aus Racing discussion

Current motorsport related news, information and discussion on any series that does not fit in the above or below categories
theracer120
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post by theracer120 »

Bottom post of the previous page:

Think the cars need stronger wheel tethers or something, Mawer's car lost a wheel when it crashed at PI as well.
Everso Biggyballies
Legendary Member
Legendary Member
Favourite Motorsport: Anything that goes left and right.
Favourite Racing Car: Too Many to mention
Favourite Driver: Kimi,Niki,Jim(none called Michael)
Favourite Circuit: Nordschleife, Spa, Mt Panorama.
Car(s) Currently Owned: Audi SQ5 3.0L V6 TwinTurbo
Location: Just moved 3 klms further away so now 11 klms from Albert Park, Melbourne.

Post by Everso Biggyballies »

Davison's car looked to have been totalled.... Lucky to walk away from it really.

It seems Matt Brabham got a bit of a run on him and misjudged his pass, nudging the rear of Davo into a spin and the barriers.

Two sides to everything

Brabham's account of it
“I had a really big run on him and we came through the right hander and I was starting to go left and then he naturally to the left as well coming out of the corner and I was just waiting for him to pick a line as I had such a big run.

“I was going to go wherever he didn’t go and then as he came across to the left I decided to go right to try and get a run and as we crossed paths the front of my nose just touched the crash box that sticks out really far.
Davison's side to it.
“I was driving along in a straight line, we’d just got through the kink and Matt Brabham hit me from behind. I was a passenger after that. It’s disappointing that a guy like that forgot that the gas pedal goes backwards as well as forwards.

“I’m probably talking it down because it didn’t hurt. I have no pain.

* I started life with nothing, and still have most of it left

“Good drivers have dead flies on the side windows!” (Walter Röhrl)

* I married Miss Right. Just didn't know her first name was Always
Everso Biggyballies
Legendary Member
Legendary Member
Location: Just moved 3 klms further away so now 11 klms from Albert Park, Melbourne.

The next round of S5000 will be at The Bend Motorsport Park on November 15-17 for the Shannons Nationals 2019 finale.

Everso Biggyballies
Legendary Member
Legendary Member

Webber and Button phoned Barrichello re S5000

We may get some more high profile starters in S5000 as Rubens has received calls from others about thecars.
RB had a number of close friends from his Formula 1 days get in touch over the weekend to ask about S5000, including playing voice mail tag with Webber.

"He left me a message, we didn't actually get to speak because he was flying to Singapore," Barrichello said

"Mark has been to my home, he's met my family and we've had a Brazilian meal together. I think he appreciates that I'm a family guy. Mark is a very down to earth guy. A good champion always has to be humble. That's the only thing my father ever asked of me; if you win or if you lose, come back the same.

"Mark is a great champion like that. I think he appreciates that I agreed to come to Australia and do this."

Jenson Button and Gil de Ferran were among the other interested callers, Barrichello explaining to his high-profile mates that he was racing a modern version of a Formula 5000 car, rather than actual 1970s technology.

"A lot of people have been asking about the power," Barrichello said.

"People think that I'm racing old cars. They didn't see that it's a new category.

"They're saying 'are you crazy? Six hundred horsepower in these old cars?'. We're not running the old cars! I could do, I'd find that fun.

"But it's funny. People will get to know about the series now. There has been coverage in Europe. I hope [the profile] will help. For me it was a blast."
Clearly the category is creating plenty of interest overseas, which has to be good news.

Cheeveer
Favourite Racing Car: Panoz GTR1
Favourite Driver: Alex Zanardi
Favourite Circuit: Bathurst

Post by Cheeveer »

Sounds great with old heroes showing interest, but any series should be careful about becoming a niche throwback. A new series with this kind of momentum should look ahead to create it's own legacy.

An Australian Indycar of sorts, that'd be great.
***Some say you should live each day like it was your last... but who wants to live each day in wild panic and extreme death anxiety?

The universe, look at the hugeness of it... it is a dizzying thought that little ol' me is the centre of it all!***
theracer120
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post by theracer120 »

https://www.speedcafe.com/2019/11/14/fi ... 000-round/

Second round grid announced, it's down to 10 cars but the field is pretty strong with former international open wheel drivers (now Supercars drivers) Anton de Pasquale and Tom Randle making their debut as well as sometimes Le Mans driver James Winslow. Rubens isn't back unfortunately.
PTRACER
Forum Administrator
Forum Administrator
Favourite Motorsport: Formula 1
Favourite Racing Car: Lotus 49
Favourite Driver: Gilles Villeneuve, James Hunt
Favourite Circuit: Nordschleife
Car(s) Currently Owned: Mitsubishi Lancer Evo X JDM

Post by PTRACER »

theracer120 wrote: 4 years ago https://www.speedcafe.com/2019/11/14/fi ... 000-round/

Second round grid announced, it's down to 10 cars but the field is pretty strong with former international open wheel drivers (now Supercars drivers) Anton de Pasquale and Tom Randle making their debut as well as sometimes Le Mans driver James Winslow. Rubens isn't back unfortunately.
I'm sad to say, but this series will probably be very short lived.
Developer of the 1967v3 Historic Mod for Grand Prix Legends: viewtopic.php?t=17429

King of the Race Track, Destroyer of Tyres, Breaker of Lap Records
PTRACER
Forum Administrator
Forum Administrator
Favourite Motorsport: Formula 1
Favourite Racing Car: Lotus 49
Favourite Driver: Gilles Villeneuve, James Hunt
Favourite Circuit: Nordschleife
Car(s) Currently Owned: Mitsubishi Lancer Evo X JDM

Post by PTRACER »

S5000 will be supporting the F1 race at Albert Park next month and Rubens Barrichello will be racing again!

Alex Premat is the other guest driver :thumbsup:
Developer of the 1967v3 Historic Mod for Grand Prix Legends: viewtopic.php?t=17429

King of the Race Track, Destroyer of Tyres, Breaker of Lap Records
Everso Biggyballies
Legendary Member
Legendary Member

PTRACER wrote: 4 years ago S5000 will be supporting the F1 race at Albert Park next month and Rubens Barrichello will be racing again!

Alex Premat is the other guest driver :thumbsup:
Rubens is also already confirmed for the S5000 meeting at Bathurst in November (Bathurst International Meeting) which will also feature a TCR enduro.

Must be a long time since Premat had his bum in a single seater racecar, although I know he was quite good in the noughties when he got as far as test driver for Spyker in F1. Good to see he is back driving for Garry Rogers who run a number of cars in S5000 (In fact they build all of the cars.
I think I read they have 16 entries confirmed.

Everso Biggyballies
Legendary Member
Legendary Member

TCR, S5000 openers postponed further

Not good news for the 'other main series' in Australia with further delays for the season start being confirmed due to Covid restrictions and State border closures.
The start of the Shannons Motorsport Australia Championships has been postponed until October, affecting series including TCR Australia and S5000.

Neither the Sydney Motorsport Park nor Sandown rounds will proceed as previously planned due to ongoing COVID-19 restrictions including various interstate border closures/controls.

Sydney had held the opening round position on both the original calendar and the post-outbreak version before being postponed a second time, to September 4-6, following the reinstatement of stay-at-home restrictions in Victoria and closure of the border which that state shares with New South Wales.

Sandown, in the Victorian capital of Melbourne’s southeast, was scheduled to host a round on September 11-13 on the revised calendar and had not yet been given another new date.

Motorsport Australia’s announcement forecasts publication of another calendar “in the coming weeks”, with Round 1 expected in mid-October at a circuit yet to be confirmed.

theracer120
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post by theracer120 »

Some good and bad (but not unexpected) news coming out today. It seems that they've received official approval to run at Bathurst in November presuming that event goes ahead.

https://www.speedcafe.com/2020/07/31/s5 ... -bathurst/

On the other hand the season start for S5000 and its associated categories (such as TCR) has been delayed again to mid-October because of restrictions related to the corona outbreak in Victoria, which is where the cars are manufactured and many teams would be based.

https://www.speedcafe.com/2020/07/31/tc ... d-further/
MonteCristo
Favourite Motorsport: Openwheel
Favourite Racing Car: Tyrrell P34/Protos
Favourite Driver: JV
Favourite Circuit: Road America

Post by MonteCristo »

theracer120 wrote: 3 years ago It seems that they've received official approval to run at Bathurst in November presuming that event goes ahead.

https://www.speedcafe.com/2020/07/31/s5 ... -bathurst/
To quote Paris Hilton: that's hot.
Oscar Piastri in F1! Catch the fever! Vettel Hate Club. Life membership.

2012 GTP Non-Championship Champion | 2012 Guess the Kai-Star Half Marathon Time Champion | 2018 GTP Champion | 2019 GTP Champion
theracer120
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post by theracer120 »

Sadly it was confirmed today that S5000's Bathurst debut will be delayed until next year, with the Bathurst International being cancelled for this year due to travel difficulties.

The inaugural Bathurst International will not take place until 2021 after this year’s edition was cancelled due to difficulties arising from state/territory border closures.

The newly created ‘fifth Bathurst event’ was to have taken place for the first time on November 12-15, 2020 at Mount Panorama.

That date in itself represented a change from the original plans due to the incorporation of the Bathurst 6 Hour, which had been held over from its customary Easter slot due to the effects of the COVID-19 pandemic.

The TCR enduro was also scrapped for the first year due to its intended international nature, but now domestic border closures have scuttled the event entirely for 2020.

Nine categories had been lined up for the 2020 Bathurst International, including a sprint round of the TCR Australia series, which organisers say represented over 350 race cars and drivers.

A COVID safe plan and other coronavirus-related protocols had been developed to account for their presence and that of the 2000-plus support crew and volunteers who were also expected to attend.

However, with no certainty over border reopenings, and therefore the possibility of quarantine requirements for the many interstate arrivals who might have other employment/obligations, it was deemed impractical to proceed with the Bathurst International this time around.

https://www.speedcafe.com/2020/10/07/ba ... -for-2020/
Everso Biggyballies
Legendary Member
Legendary Member

theracer120 wrote: 3 years ago Sadly it was confirmed today that S5000's Bathurst debut will be delayed until next year, with the Bathurst International being cancelled for this year due to travel difficulties.
Bummer.... I was particularly looking forward to seeing the 5000's around Bathurst. Suspect I am not the only one.
It had the makings of being a great meeting :sorrow: :annoyed: :aggro:

MonteCristo
Favourite Motorsport: Openwheel
Favourite Racing Car: Tyrrell P34/Protos
Favourite Driver: JV
Favourite Circuit: Road America

Post by MonteCristo »

That's not hot.
Oscar Piastri in F1! Catch the fever! Vettel Hate Club. Life membership.

2012 GTP Non-Championship Champion | 2012 Guess the Kai-Star Half Marathon Time Champion | 2018 GTP Champion | 2019 GTP Champion
theracer120
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post by theracer120 »

https://www.speedcafe.com/2020/11/12/s5 ... -calendar/

The 2021 season calendar is out. There will only be 4 rounds (+1 non-championship demonstration) from Jan-Apr because they're planning to switch to a summer series format which will be starting in September of next year. There is a TBA in March which will probably be at the Grand Prix if that goes ahead.