Misc Aus Racing discussion

Current motorsport related news, information and discussion on any series that does not fit in the above or below categories
Everso Biggyballies
Legendary Member
Legendary Member
Favourite Motorsport: Anything that goes left and right.
Favourite Racing Car: Too Many to mention
Favourite Driver: Kimi,Niki,Jim(none called Michael)
Favourite Circuit: Nordschleife, Spa, Mt Panorama.
Car(s) Currently Owned: Audi SQ5 3.0L V6 TwinTurbo
Location: Just moved 3 klms further away so now 11 klms from Albert Park, Melbourne.

Post by Everso Biggyballies »

Bottom post of the previous page:

Interesting in that Golding leads on slicks but 2nd and 3rd are right on him atm running wets.

* I started life with nothing, and still have most of it left

“Good drivers have dead flies on the side windows!” (Walter Röhrl)

* I married Miss Right. Just didn't know her first name was Always
Everso Biggyballies
Legendary Member
Legendary Member
Location: Just moved 3 klms further away so now 11 klms from Albert Park, Melbourne.

Webster in second got it all wrong and is in the sand ..... no SC at present just local yellows.
Herne who had an earlier moment on slicks has just fought his way through to second. The race is going to be a time certain finish..... cant have the TV broadcast for the V8's upset. :sarcasm:

Everso Biggyballies
Legendary Member
Legendary Member

So Golding wins the first race of the day from team mate Herne. Another heat and the final still to go for the S5000's... Randle will be back out in the next one for sure.

theracer120
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post by theracer120 »

Ngatoa just binned it coming out of the pits on the outlap...
Everso Biggyballies
Legendary Member
Legendary Member

theracer120 wrote: 3 years ago Ngatoa just binned it coming out of the pits on the outlap...
Yeah saw that one.... track must still be slippery, but shows how much power they have with not much weight. He was on the front row as well. A real shame as he had driven brilliantly in the earlier fully wet race and taken the win from Mawson and Randle.

Then when the race started Randle continued his horror weekend when he . managed to spin on his own coming on to the front straight and ended up rear of field . Currently back up to 7th. He needs to do better than that as this is the feature race and scored over double the points of the earlier two 'heat' races.

theracer120
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post by theracer120 »

This weekend is the final round of the current S5000 season. Joey Mawson leads Tom Randle by 40 points with 130 for the taking this weekend.

They've also announced the start of the next season which is set to run across 2021/22. It'll be starting at Sandown before they run at Bathurst, the Grand Prix and then the Gold Coast with another three TBC rounds in 2022. Apparently they're also trying to get the international drivers back for the Bathurst/Grand Prix/Gold Coast rounds.
theracer120
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post by theracer120 »

Josh Buchan won his first TCR race. Dylan O'Keefe was on pole but had to start from the pits.
Everso Biggyballies
Legendary Member
Legendary Member

theracer120 wrote: 2 years ago This weekend is the final round of the current S5000 season. Joey Mawson leads Tom Randle by 40 points with 130 for the taking this weekend.

They've also announced the start of the next season which is set to run across 2021/22. It'll be starting at Sandown before they run at Bathurst, the Grand Prix and then the Gold Coast with another three TBC rounds in 2022. Apparently they're also trying to get the international drivers back for the Bathurst/Grand Prix/Gold Coast rounds.
Thanks for the heads up.... I had forgotten about it being on. Not on TV but it is on 7plus so all good.

Everso Biggyballies
Legendary Member
Legendary Member

So after the first two races it will be all down to wire tomorrow for the championship decider, although tbh Mawson pretty much has it tied up and would have to DNF or finish right down the order tomorrows race with Randle winning.... Mawson's lead after the two races today now up to 48 points, with 60 on the table for tomorrows race. I think Mawson only needs to finish 12th to score 12 points and put it out of reach even with Randle winning. Finishing 12th with Randle winning would leave them tied on points, but Mawson has won at least two more races this year thn Randle, so would still take the Championship and coveted Australian Gold Star..

theracer120
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post by theracer120 »

There's actually only ten cars on the grid this weekend so he'll win if he finishes basically.
Everso Biggyballies
Legendary Member
Legendary Member

theracer120 wrote: 2 years ago There's actually only ten cars on the grid this weekend so he'll win if he finishes basically.
I didnt think about the number of starters when I looked up the points per position stuff.
So it makes it fairly unlikely that Mawson will not win the title. He just needs to stay out of trouble and cruise round at the back of the field trying not to stress anything mechanical or over rev anything.

If Mawson does by chance DNF Randle could win by coming 2nd (50 points)

Everso Biggyballies
Legendary Member
Legendary Member

Mawson wins the S5000 Championship and the Australian Gold Star with it....

He tried his hardest to not win it having started on the front row, he had a bit of an incident at T1, going off track through the gravel trap and was fortunate enough to keep it moving, not get bogged, and rejoin last. But he made it to the finish.

Regardless of that Randle never looked like being a top two finisher even when a mid race SC compressed the field. A top 2 finish was his only title chance. So Mawson finished the race 8th, unable to progress up the field much due to steering damage incurred during his off.and took the title by 36 points in the end. Randle did manage to finish 4th which was ahead of Macrow and thus that decided 2nd and third in the championship.

At the front Golding took the final win of the season from Leeds and Herne, an all-GRM top three.

Hopefully next season (which as @theracer120 mentioned starts at Sandown later in this year, will have a few more cars on the grid..

theracer120
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post by theracer120 »

Meanwhile in TCR Buchan beat out Mostert to take his second win, and Caruso took his first TCR win in the final race with Buchan finishing second. Mostert still leads the points by almost a full round although he wasn't quite as competitive this weekend with his Audi having had some BOP changes since the previous round at Bathurst, and Buchan is almost up into 2nd in points after his near dominant performance on the weekend.

There's now only two rounds to go in the season (I don't think the Bathurst International is counting for points) with the next being at Morgan Park in late June.
MonteCristo
Favourite Motorsport: Openwheel
Favourite Racing Car: Tyrrell P34/Protos
Favourite Driver: JV
Favourite Circuit: Road America

Post by MonteCristo »

Everso Biggyballies wrote: 2 years ago Hopefully next season (which as @theracer120 mentioned starts at Sandown later in this year, will have a few more cars on the grid..
Fingers crossed! But I seriously don't think Australia can support a series like this. Maybe if it was a joint Aus/NZ thing?

Does anyone know what the cost is to run a season?
Oscar Piastri in F1! Catch the fever! Vettel Hate Club. Life membership.

2012 GTP Non-Championship Champion | 2012 Guess the Kai-Star Half Marathon Time Champion | 2018 GTP Champion | 2019 GTP Champion
Everso Biggyballies
Legendary Member
Legendary Member

MonteCristo wrote: 2 years ago
Everso Biggyballies wrote: 2 years ago Hopefully next season (which as @theracer120 mentioned starts at Sandown later in this year, will have a few more cars on the grid..
Fingers crossed! But I seriously don't think Australia can support a series like this. Maybe if it was a joint Aus/NZ thing?

I think you can lease a car from Garry Rogers (who builds all the cars) for lets say A$250,000.... That includes the car lease deal with GRM, entry fees, and paying a team to transport and run the car. I dare say damage is extra. Not sure about rubber, but they are.apparently good on rubber and only use one set per round.

This article talks of $200,000 but is a year out of date so say 250K. It goes into the details more than I have.
https://au.motorsport.com/openwheel/new ... 0/4680925/

MonteCristo
Favourite Motorsport: Openwheel
Favourite Racing Car: Tyrrell P34/Protos
Favourite Driver: JV
Favourite Circuit: Road America

Post by MonteCristo »

Everso Biggyballies wrote: 2 years ago
MonteCristo wrote: 2 years ago

I think you can lease a car from Garry Rogers (who builds all the cars) for lets say A$250,000.... That includes the car lease deal with GRM, entry fees, and paying a team to transport and run the car. I dare say damage is extra. Not sure about rubber, but they are.apparently good on rubber and only use one set per round.

This article talks of $200,000 but is a year out of date so say 250K. It goes into the details more than I have.
https://au.motorsport.com/openwheel/new ... 0/4680925/
Thanks for the link. I'm very surprised - quite affordable.

Depending on how detuned the engines are, I guess they don't have to push them too hard either.
Oscar Piastri in F1! Catch the fever! Vettel Hate Club. Life membership.

2012 GTP Non-Championship Champion | 2012 Guess the Kai-Star Half Marathon Time Champion | 2018 GTP Champion | 2019 GTP Champion