What is currently the world's greatest motor race?

Current motorsport related news, information and discussion on any series that does not fit in the above or below categories

The world's current greatest motor race?

Monaco Grand Prix
6%
Indy 500
29%
Le Mans 24 Hours
32%
Nurburgring 24 Hours
9%
Bathurst 1000
6%
Daytona 500
6%
The Dakar Rally
3%
Pikes Peak Hillclimb
No votes
Isle Of Man TT
9%
Other
1%

Total votes: 69

Cheeveer
Favourite Racing Car: Panoz GTR1
Favourite Driver: Alex Zanardi
Favourite Circuit: Bathurst

Post by Cheeveer »

Bottom post of the previous page:

The Safari Rally must have been amazing too.
***Some say you should live each day like it was your last... but who wants to live each day in wild panic and extreme death anxiety?

The universe, look at the hugeness of it... it is a dizzying thought that little ol' me is the centre of it all!***
Manfred Cubenoggin
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by Manfred Cubenoggin »

I just cast my vote. The Dakar. The only vote for it thus far.

LeMans would have been my 2nd choice. Indy 3rd.
Miles to go B4 I sleep
Cheeveer

Post by Cheeveer »

The Dakar is immense. Would love some better TV coverage of it, to see how a special stage is really like.
***Some say you should live each day like it was your last... but who wants to live each day in wild panic and extreme death anxiety?

The universe, look at the hugeness of it... it is a dizzying thought that little ol' me is the centre of it all!***
Jesper Hvid
Permanent Ban
Permanent Ban

Post by Jesper Hvid »

The Le Mans.
Cheeveer

Post by Cheeveer »

Interesting that Indianapolis doesn't have any votes, but we very much talk of it as the 2nd greatest race.

SBan83

Post by SBan83 »

If this were 1995 or prior, people might vote for it but that race hasn't been worth a damn since then. Some people still respect the hell out of it for its history but that's the only thing going for it.
Cheeveer

Post by Cheeveer »

SB83 wrote:If this were 1995 or prior, people might vote for it but that race hasn't been worth a damn since then. Some people still respect the hell out of it for its history but that's the only thing going for it.
It is the fastest race in the world right now, which makes it worth a lot even if you don't take history to account. No matter what cars they run, it is still awe-inspiring speeds they achieve. And the competition and the respect the drivers gives it, makes it probably the most difficult race for a driver to win.

SBan83

Post by SBan83 »

Cheeveer wrote:
SB83 wrote:If this were 1995 or prior, people might vote for it but that race hasn't been worth a damn since then. Some people still respect the hell out of it for its history but that's the only thing going for it.
It is the fastest race in the world right now, which makes it worth a lot even if you don't take history to account. No matter what cars they run, it is still awe-inspiring speeds they achieve. And the competition and the respect the drivers gives it, makes it probably the most difficult race for a driver to win.
Meh, I find it far more impressive for a big heavy skinny tyred stock car to go around the Brickyard at the speeds they do than Indycars at this point. Indycars should be going much, much faster than they do but the series insists on running fucking weed whacker engines that barely beat the pace car's output. Put in 1000 HP engines and trim out the downforce so they have to lift for the turns and I'll give it some respect.
Cheeveer

Post by Cheeveer »

SB83 wrote:
Cheeveer wrote:
Meh, I find it far more impressive for a big heavy skinny tyred stock car to go around the Brickyard at the speeds they do than Indycars at this point. Indycars should be going much, much faster than they do but the series insists on running fucking weed whacker engines that barely beat the pace car's output. Put in 1000 HP engines and trim out the downforce so they have to lift for the turns and I'll give it some respect.
That's the sound of everyone agreeing on you. Al Unser, Gordon Kirby, Nigel Bennet all thinks that's the way Indycar should go. I think, whatever you think of the competense of the Indycar officials, the biggest factor that isn't that way is safety. Without doubt. Davey Hamilton, Kenny Bräck, Ryan Briscoe and Mike Conway was lucky, Dan Wheldon wasn't, and they all crashed within speeds that had been long established in the sport. At 260-270mph, what would happen if a tyre bursts? Or if a driver is startled by another car braking earlier than normal? How would the cars behave WHEN airborne? Getting the answers for these questions are huge risks for Indycar. At the moment, the racing isn't breaking new ground, which is a shame. But trying to break new ground would be the biggest risk for the sport ATM, as it is even struggling to survive as it is.

SBan83

Post by SBan83 »

Anyway, the race has just lost its significance because all the things it stood for is gone now. It was a proving ground of innovation to the point F1 teams would pay attention to what was happening. And the best names in the world, let alone America, made it their life's goal to run it. Now, most of America's talent goes to NASCAR and Indycar's field is made up of what's left after that plus some international rejects with failed F1 dreams.
hendley
Favourite Motorsport: Formula 1
Favourite Racing Car: mc laren
Favourite Driver: senna
Favourite Circuit: spa
Car(s) Currently Owned: Audi

Post by hendley »

It depend on the site of view. Definitly not the commercial races in the US as Daytona and Indy. If you like driving in circles, eating chesseburger and drinking Bud this would be great :smiley:
Bathurst for the Aussies, TT for the motocyles racers. PPH is some sort of special event - this kind of racing got a old tradition in Germany in the 30th. The Dakar a good beginning - later turned to commercial and out of time. This leaves us to the Monaco GP - certainly a great event and a beautiful sound around this small city.
What I´am missing are such great locations as "the home of the racing" Silverstone, "the green hell" Nürburgring or such a great track as Spa in Belgium.
Not to forget the Frensh circuits as Le Mans - a challenge for both drivers and cars. This leaves me to the "real racing": The 30th with such heros as Rosenmeyer, Caricola and Seaman. The 50th with Fangio, Moss, Ascari and Farina - the real man without any helping systems. The 60th with Rindt, Stewart, Cevert, Hill and Clark. The 70th with Fittipaldi, Lauda, Hunt. The 80th with SENNA, Prost, Mansell and Piquet. The 90th with Schuhmacher, Hill jr. ?, Hakinnen and Alonso or today the commercial "marketing owned Bubies"...
Every decades got his heros and tracks but I am wondering in which direction the formula 1 circus will turned 2017 under Control of the US Boys? :huh:
Andy
Supreme Member
Supreme Member
Favourite Motorsport: 2 & 3 Wheeling
Favourite Racing Car: Bike ;) - Yamaha YZR 500
Favourite Driver: Justin 'Weeman' Collins
Favourite Circuit: Isle of Man - Mountain Course
Car(s) Currently Owned: M'cycle ;) - Yamaha FZS 600

Post by Andy »

Still the TT for me.
A 37.25 mile lap at speeds in excess of 133 mph, or sub 17 minute laps in other words. Going round 6 times, makes it 3 times a GP race. The rider has to wressle his bike around. Keeping that frontwheel down while accelerating the 1000cc hard. No pushing shifter buttons and tipping the volant. No shit like parking lot run offs but furniture like hedges, banks, lampposts, walls only inches away on country roads. And if it goes wrong, it really does.

The TT is unique compared to most listed bar PPHC
Last edited by Andy 7 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
"Those who risk nothing, do nothing, achieve nothing, become nothing" - David Jefferies
MonteCristo
Favourite Motorsport: Openwheel
Favourite Racing Car: Tyrrell P34/Protos
Favourite Driver: JV
Favourite Circuit: Road America

Post by MonteCristo »

LM24 for my money. Followed by Monaco and the TT.

For the 'spectacle': Indy and then the TT and Monaco.
Oscar Piastri in F1! Catch the fever! Vettel Hate Club. Life membership.

2012 GTP Non-Championship Champion | 2012 Guess the Kai-Star Half Marathon Time Champion | 2018 GTP Champion | 2019 GTP Champion
Everso Biggyballies
Legendary Member
Legendary Member
Favourite Motorsport: Anything that goes left and right.
Favourite Racing Car: Too Many to mention
Favourite Driver: Kimi,Niki,Jim(none called Michael)
Favourite Circuit: Nordschleife, Spa, Mt Panorama.
Car(s) Currently Owned: Audi SQ5 3.0L V6 TwinTurbo
Location: Just moved 3 klms further away so now 11 klms from Albert Park, Melbourne.

Post by Everso Biggyballies »

MonteCristo wrote:LM24 for my money. Followed by Monaco and the TT.
:agreepost:
TT ahead of Monaco for me

* I started life with nothing, and still have most of it left

“Good drivers have dead flies on the side windows!” (Walter Röhrl)

* I married Miss Right. Just didn't know her first name was Always
Andy
Supreme Member
Supreme Member
Favourite Motorsport: 2 & 3 Wheeling
Favourite Racing Car: Bike ;) - Yamaha YZR 500
Favourite Driver: Justin 'Weeman' Collins
Favourite Circuit: Isle of Man - Mountain Course
Car(s) Currently Owned: M'cycle ;) - Yamaha FZS 600

Post by Andy »

Everso Biggyballies wrote:
MonteCristo wrote:LM24 for my money. Followed by Monaco and the TT.
:agreepost:
TT ahead of Monaco for me
I`d agree if it is split in LM24 for cars and TT for bikes. The ultimate for both cars & bikes catagories.
:bye:
"Those who risk nothing, do nothing, achieve nothing, become nothing" - David Jefferies
XcraigX
Favourite Motorsport: Formula 1
Favourite Racing Car: Tyrrell P34
Favourite Driver: Mario Andretti
Favourite Circuit: Spa-Francorchamps
Car(s) Currently Owned: 2014 BMW 328d

Post by XcraigX »

This is a tough one. Many choices for many reasons. However my picks:

1. Le Mans - Still the premier race with the highest technology cars. The track is challenging (especially at night) and the 24 hour format challenges the drivers. This has become more of a sprint as technology improves, but the last few years, the top contenders all manage to break down leaving a large margin of victory for whomever is left. I agree that it was a better race 20 years ago and older, but there is not much better in 2017.

2. Isle of Mann TT - The only reason this is not top choice is because it's a TIME TRIAL and not a race. I love this event and I think it is the greatest challenge to the riders, but it's just missing something due to the format. We rarely get to see them actually race each other. We only get bikes passing each other if someone is having a bad day or a technical problem.

3. Nurburgring 24 Hours - The best / toughest track on the planet. This would be better if it was open to the top tier cars (prototypes). Right now it is just GT racing and while it is entertaining, it's just not in the same tier as the other events. Plus we get maybe a 1 hour summary show in the states (if we are lucky). No TV coverage puts a wet blanket on the event for us.

4. Bathurst 1000 - It's great, but I guess I don't have the history on this side of the globe. I try to watch it every year as I believe this is the best race of the Aussie V8 series, but if it were on against F1, or LeMans, I would watch those instead. Plus there are several other Aussie V8 SC races that are almost as entertaining.

The other events get lost on each series very busy calendar. Indy is now matched by other ovals, the Daytona 500 was only an interesting race when they held it on the beach, and the Monaco GP is only special because mega rich people show up. The F1, NASCAR, and Indycar series have tried to bring up the quality of other tracks and this has made their once premier events a bit less special. At one time each of these could have been considered the best race in the world, but not anymore.

For Dakkar, I've never been into it. So I guess I am biased against that one.
:trophy: 2019 GTP Accuracy Champion :trophy:
:trophy: 2021 GTP Accuracy Champion :trophy:
:trophy: 2022 Picks and Predictions Champion :trophy: