What is currently the world's greatest motor race?

Current motorsport related news, information and discussion on any series that does not fit in the above or below categories

The world's current greatest motor race?

Monaco Grand Prix
6%
Indy 500
29%
Le Mans 24 Hours
32%
Nurburgring 24 Hours
9%
Bathurst 1000
6%
Daytona 500
6%
The Dakar Rally
3%
Pikes Peak Hillclimb
No votes
Isle Of Man TT
9%
Other
1%

Total votes: 69

SBan83

Post by SBan83 »

Bottom post of the previous page:

I guess from a point of view of the mainstream global audience, it'd have to be the Monaco GP?

Americans likely see Indy 500 or Daytona 500 (depending on which side of the Mason-Dixon line you ask) as the greatest race, since their whole sporting scene is so isolated from the rest of the world.
MonteCristo
Favourite Motorsport: Openwheel
Favourite Racing Car: Tyrrell P34/Protos
Favourite Driver: JV
Favourite Circuit: Road America

Post by MonteCristo »

SBan83 wrote: 2 years ago Americans likely see Indy 500 or Daytona 500 (depending on which side of the Mason-Dixon line you ask) as the greatest race, since their whole sporting scene is so isolated from the rest of the world.
The Kentucky Derby :P.
Oscar Piastri in F1! Catch the fever! Vettel Hate Club. Life membership.

2012 GTP Non-Championship Champion | 2012 Guess the Kai-Star Half Marathon Time Champion | 2018 GTP Champion | 2019 GTP Champion
julif
Bronze Member
Bronze Member
Favourite Motorsport: F1, Nascar, INDYCAR, Le Mans, Rally
Favourite Driver: Helio
Favourite Circuit: Indianapolis

Post by julif »

I chose the Indy 500, but Le Mans is up there definitely.
PTRACER
Forum Administrator
Forum Administrator
Favourite Motorsport: Formula 1
Favourite Racing Car: Lotus 49
Favourite Driver: Gilles Villeneuve, James Hunt
Favourite Circuit: Nordschleife
Car(s) Currently Owned: Mitsubishi Lancer Evo X JDM

Post by PTRACER »

SBan83 wrote: 2 years ago I guess from a point of view of the mainstream global audience, it'd have to be the Monaco GP?
I feel like the Monaco GP has massively lost its appeal in recent years. I bet if you asked most F1 fans whether it is suitable as an F1 race most people would say no. If you asked most people whether they thought the Monaco GP was exciting most would say no.

Pretty sure the same would not be said of the others on my list.
Developer of the 1967v3 Historic Mod for Grand Prix Legends: viewtopic.php?t=17429

King of the Race Track, Destroyer of Tyres, Breaker of Lap Records
SBan83

Post by SBan83 »

PTRACER wrote: 1 year ago
SBan83 wrote: 2 years ago I guess from a point of view of the mainstream global audience, it'd have to be the Monaco GP?
I feel like the Monaco GP has massively lost its appeal in recent years. I bet if you asked most F1 fans whether it is suitable as an F1 race most people would say no. If you asked most people whether they thought the Monaco GP was exciting most would say no.

TBF, Monaco was never suited to F1 at any point in its history. :suspicious: But the racing there was never the reason for its popularity. It's the glamor, glitz, and all that, that the bulk of the F1 fans care about.
erwin greven
Staff
Staff
Favourite Motorsport: Endurance Racing
Favourite Racing Car: Lancia Delta 038 S4 Group B
Favourite Driver: Ronnie Peterson
Favourite Circuit: Nuerburgring Nordschleife
Car(s) Currently Owned: Peugeot 206 SW Air-Line 3 2007

Post by erwin greven »

Monaco for F1 is what Le Mans is for World Endurance. Daytona for Nascar. Indianapolis for Indycar.
Brian Redman: "Mr. Fangio, how do you come so fast?" "More throttle, less brakes...."
Michkov
Advanced Member
Advanced Member

Post by Michkov »

PTRACER wrote: 1 year ago

From what I've seen, the masses seem to think that overtakes are what makes a race exciting, no matter how they come about. As if overtakes were the be all and end all of good racing, if that is the case I'm going to sell seats on a highwayoverpass. The point about Monaco is exactly the unsuitable nature of the cars to the environment, because you need to be flawless for 99% of the race to even make it to the end of the race. It's much more PvE opposed to PvP, to use gaming lingo.
SBan83

Post by SBan83 »

Michkov wrote: 1 year agoIt's much more PvE opposed to PvP, to use gaming lingo.
That's an interesting way to put it but quite apt!
EB
Advanced Member
Advanced Member

Post by EB »

erwin greven wrote: 1 year ago Monaco for F1 is what Le Mans is for World Endurance. Daytona for Nascar. Indianapolis for Indycar.
I think that's an exaggeration, or just personal preference. Indy and Le Mans are so big as to transcend their season championships in importance, I can't see how you can say that about Monaco. Places like Monza and Spa have just as good a claim as Monaco on being an important race.
MonteCristo
Favourite Motorsport: Openwheel
Favourite Racing Car: Tyrrell P34/Protos
Favourite Driver: JV
Favourite Circuit: Road America

Post by MonteCristo »

It would be interesting to see what viewership figures are for Monaco globally compared to other races.

As a fan, I look forward to Spa and Monza far more than Monaco. But I would wager that the average person knows F1 races at Monaco more than they do Spa or Monza. However, do they actually tune in more?

For Indy, for instance, their TV viewership is 3-4 times more than any other race.
Oscar Piastri in F1! Catch the fever! Vettel Hate Club. Life membership.

2012 GTP Non-Championship Champion | 2012 Guess the Kai-Star Half Marathon Time Champion | 2018 GTP Champion | 2019 GTP Champion
erwin greven
Staff
Staff
Favourite Motorsport: Endurance Racing
Favourite Racing Car: Lancia Delta 038 S4 Group B
Favourite Driver: Ronnie Peterson
Favourite Circuit: Nuerburgring Nordschleife
Car(s) Currently Owned: Peugeot 206 SW Air-Line 3 2007

Post by erwin greven »

EB wrote: 1 year ago
erwin greven wrote: 1 year ago Monaco for F1 is what Le Mans is for World Endurance. Daytona for Nascar. Indianapolis for Indycar.
I think that's an exaggeration, or just personal preference. Indy and Le Mans are so big as to transcend their season championships in importance, I can't see how you can say that about Monaco. Places like Monza and Spa have just as good a claim as Monaco on being an important race.
Can you name winners from the Belgian GP in 1996? 1972? 1979? 2004? Or Monza? Monaco is still a part of the triple crown. No one mentions a driver saying: he is a 5 time Spa winner or 5 time Monza winner. Ayrton Senna, Graham Hill, Michael Schumacher.... 6-, 5- and 5- time Monaco winners.
Brian Redman: "Mr. Fangio, how do you come so fast?" "More throttle, less brakes...."
EB
Advanced Member
Advanced Member

Post by EB »

erwin greven wrote: 1 year ago Monaco is still a part of the triple crown
No, the Graham Hill triple crown did not include Monaco, it's only in relatively recent times that Monaco has been included - entirely I suspect because of a misunderstanding caused by Graham's domination of Monaco. If he had had 5 wins at Mexico or something then that might have been the race that the millennials jumped on as being a triple crown leg. But you are older than me so should know better!
Dreamst8me
Favourite Motorsport: Classic rallycrosd
Favourite Driver: Gordon Sennet
Favourite Circuit: Le Sarth

Post by Dreamst8me »

It's been le mans since the sixties for me though apparently the year of my birth 1955 was famous for the wrong reasons?
Photek24

Post by Photek24 »

This is a tough one, ive seen the indy 500 many times live so it holds a special place in my heart, but i also could say that the isle of man is up there
wmetcalf68
Favourite Motorsport: IndyCar
Favourite Driver: Robert Wickens
Favourite Circuit: Monaco

Post by wmetcalf68 »

Has to be the Indy 500 easily for me, over and gone in just two hours but I'd be lying if I said I didn't spend 364 days a year waiting for it (not to mention I'm a sucker for close oval racing in general)
Richard_III

Post by Richard_III »

IoM TT

Unspoiled my faceless, multinational conglomerates spending hundreds of millions of pounds, most of the machinery you can buy and ride from your local dealer, normal human beings as competitors (with actual personalities who don’t whine like babies when they don’t win),fans able to mingle with the teams/ riders, fans able to get up close to the action. Everything modern Eff 1 isn’t.