2022 WRC and Off Road Discussion *includes 'Dakar' *

Current motorsport related news, information and discussion on the current seasons of NASCAR, IndyCar, V8 Supercars, DTM, WTCC, BTCC, junior formulae, rallying and all other forms of motorsport.
SBan83
Car(s) Currently Owned: Suzuki Swift

Re: 2022 WRC and Off Road Discussion *includes 'Dakar' *

Post by SBan83 » 1 month ago

Latest post of the previous page:

Rovanpera looks set to exceed his father's achievements. In a short time, he has matured remarkably and the Portugal rally win was a clinical display.

Everso Biggyballies
Legendary Member
Legendary Member
Favourite Motorsport: Anything that goes left and right.
Favourite Racing Car: Too Many to mention
Favourite Driver: Kimi,Niki,Jim(none called Michael)
Favourite Circuit: Nordschleife, Spa, Mt Panorama.
Car(s) Currently Owned: Audi SQ5 3.0L V6 TwinTurbo
Location: Just moved 3 klms further away so now 11 klms from Albert Park, Melbourne.

Post by Everso Biggyballies » 1 month ago

SBan83 wrote:
1 month ago
Rovanpera looks set to exceed his father's achievements. In a short time, he has matured remarkably and the Portugal rally win was a clinical display.
Yeah he is really impressing me this year..... seems to have pace now and not be looking like an accident about to happen which often seemed the case previously..

* I started life with nothing, and still have most of it left

“Your scientists were so preoccupied with whether they could, they didn’t stop to think if they should.”

* I married Miss Right. Just didn't know her first name was Always

Everso Biggyballies
Legendary Member
Legendary Member
Location: Just moved 3 klms further away so now 11 klms from Albert Park, Melbourne.

Post by Everso Biggyballies » 4 days ago

Close call for Championship leader Rovanpera in the opening stage in the Safari Rally Kenya.

OK I am a great fan of this rally and so glad to see it back recently after a long time away. Not the event it once was but then what is in these politically correct imho less challenging rallies we now have.

Anyway that aside, Kalle Rovanpera has survived a major scare during the short Super Special stage that opened the Safari Rally Kenya.

The sole Thursday leg was topped by 2021 event winner Sebastien Ogier with a time of just under 200 seconds (3:18.8), but all eyes were on his young Toyota Gazoo Racing team-mate.

Rovanpera, who entered Round 6 with almost double the points of any other driver, almost immediately rolled his car after running wide. In the end, a right-rear puncture was the sum of the damage, causing the Finn to be just 11th on the leaderboard, already 11.6s adrift of Ogier.

“I was a bit on the limit under braking,” said Rovanpera. Oh well, Shit happens.

Anyone who rolls, and gets a puncture yet still finishes the stage just 11 seconds adrift of the leader can / must I think believe they have dodged a bullet. :wink:

Rovanpera’s nearest threat in the championship, Thierry Neuville, finished SS1 second, with the top six separated by a mere 1.9s at this stage. Rounding out that group was Ott Tanak, Elfyn Evans, Sebastien Loeb, and Takamoto Katsuta.

As I said it was early days.....Another 18 gruelling stages are to come across Friday, Saturday, and Sunday

“Your scientists were so preoccupied with whether they could, they didn’t stop to think if they should.”

Everso Biggyballies
Legendary Member
Legendary Member

Post by Everso Biggyballies » 1 day ago

Brilliant Rovanpera leads Toyota 1-2-3-4 at the Kenya Safari Rally.

Kalle Rovanpera has continued his superb WRC form to lead a Toyota one-two-three-four at the Safari Rally Kenya.

Toyota entered the final day with the only four cars left in contention and had no slip ups from there, as Rovanpera was trailed by team-mates Evans, Katsuta and Ogier..... Kalle hadnt put a foot wrong since the early in stage 1 rollover mentioned previously and ended up winning by a margin, despite early challenges from Evans..

After a number of issues best of the rest was Hyundai’s Neuville in fifth, more than 10 minutes off the lead.

Neuville did manage some damage limitation by winning the power stage, and the five bonus points for that.

Ford also had a poor weekend with at one stage Malcomn Wilson 'punishing' two of his crews after mistakes and damage by making them repair their own cars with minimal assistance. Craig Breen was their best finisher in sixth.

Have to say from what little I saw from highlights clips the conditions were quite brutal so the Safari Rally at least has kept that part of the tradition.

Oh I should mention something else of note that happened. Maxine Wahome has made history by becoming the first woman to win a round in the World Rally Championship’s WRC3 class at Safari Rally Kenya.

Congratulations to Maxine, but she has big shoes to fill in her ongoing career.

With all respects Maxine is not quite Michele Mouton yet but a good start....Michele was the first, and remains the only, woman to have won a round of the FIA World Rally Championship overall. She won a number of WRC rallies outright, and also came oh so close to becoming a WRC champion one year, losing by bad luck and misfortune, with reliability problems and the effect of the death of her Father days before the final round combining to her not quite making it. :bow:

I think now she is also the President of the FIA women in motorsport commission, and I am sure she would have been the first to congratulate Maxine on her result. Indeed congrats to Maxine and best wishes for her ongoing progress.

As an aside there is a documentary of Michele's inspirational achievements in Rallying .... the Queen of Speed. I knew of it happening but have not seen it yet. This is the nearest I have got....