Giovanni Bonanno Jerez 1990 F3000 Crash

Post your requests for pictures, videos or documents here and we will find it for you!
FedBet57
Silver Member
Silver Member
Favourite Motorsport: Formula 1, Sportscar
Favourite Driver: Jim Clark
Favourite Circuit: Solitude, Nurburgring

Giovanni Bonanno Jerez 1990 F3000 Crash

Post by FedBet57 »

I was reading an interview between Giovanni Bonanno and Richard Jenkins and they mentioned Bonanno's crash during his first Formula 3000 Championship season happened in Jerez (Round 4), 1990. I can't find any photos of this crash online...
You moved up to F3000 in 1990 with Becsport.You made an excellent start to the season, but when you were injured at Jerez, your season lost a bit of momentum. Do you look back and feel that if you hadn't crashed then, you would've had a different career path?

Yes I definitely think so. In my F3000 debut in 1990 I had a new team but I got on well and nevertheless was fast, so much so that in the pre championship tests I was always amongst the fastest and believed I would have had a good championship. When the accident happened in Jerez, I was in one of the leading positions but unfortunately that’s one of the risks of the job. The impact was hard and I left the track at over 200km per hour going headfirst into the barrier and breaking both legs. Obviously I was out for a year and the season was bad, but I think that for me it was a good year with a fast car, a good team and strong motivation that meant I already had contacts and the budget to be able to make the leap to Formula 1.

How difficult was it to come back from that injury? Did you consider stopping? Is it more difficult mentally than physically when you have a bad accident?

Actually it wasn’t that difficult because at 20 I feared nothing. I was brave and felt strong. The only thing missing was afterwards, was being in the right place at the right time. I never found a team like the first and with a competitive car.
Link of the interview: https://www.oldracingcars.com/drivers/i ... i-Bonanno/
"There's more fun in a gallon of gasoline than in a barrell of booze"
PTRACER
Forum Administrator
Forum Administrator
Favourite Motorsport: Formula 1
Favourite Racing Car: Lotus 49
Favourite Driver: Gilles Villeneuve, James Hunt
Favourite Circuit: Nordschleife
Car(s) Currently Owned: Mitsubishi Lancer Evo X JDM

Post by PTRACER »

Is there anything on the official season review tape/DVD?
Developer of the 1967v3 Historic Mod for Grand Prix Legends: viewtopic.php?t=17429

King of the Race Track, Destroyer of Tyres, Breaker of Lap Records
PTRACER
Forum Administrator
Forum Administrator
Favourite Motorsport: Formula 1
Favourite Racing Car: Lotus 49
Favourite Driver: Gilles Villeneuve, James Hunt
Favourite Circuit: Nordschleife
Car(s) Currently Owned: Mitsubishi Lancer Evo X JDM

Post by PTRACER »

Actually this is the second request we received on this:

viewtopic.php?f=44&t=15931&p=371276&hil ... 90#p356584
Developer of the 1967v3 Historic Mod for Grand Prix Legends: viewtopic.php?t=17429

King of the Race Track, Destroyer of Tyres, Breaker of Lap Records