Maserati at Indianapolis

Post your requests for pictures, videos or documents here and we will find it for you!
Cheeveer
Favourite Racing Car: Panoz GTR1
Favourite Driver: Alex Zanardi
Favourite Circuit: Bathurst

Maserati at Indianapolis

Post by Cheeveer »

'ello

I am looking for any contemporary reports from the years' when Maserati cars raced at the Indy 500. They did so in 1930, 1937-1951 and were entered in 1952, 1953 and in 1959 (then with the Eldorado Special). So contemporary reports of those editions is what I am looking for. I have access to Motor Sport Magazine's archive, so no need me to link me there.
***Some say you should live each day like it was your last... but who wants to live each day in wild panic and extreme death anxiety?

The universe, look at the hugeness of it... it is a dizzying thought that little ol' me is the centre of it all!***
PTRACER
Forum Administrator
Forum Administrator
Favourite Motorsport: Formula 1
Favourite Racing Car: Lotus 49
Favourite Driver: Gilles Villeneuve, James Hunt
Favourite Circuit: Nordschleife
Car(s) Currently Owned: Mitsubishi Lancer Evo X JDM

Post by PTRACER »

@Michael Ferner
Developer of the 1967v3 Historic Mod for Grand Prix Legends: viewtopic.php?t=17429

King of the Race Track, Destroyer of Tyres, Breaker of Lap Records
Everso Biggyballies
Legendary Member
Legendary Member
Favourite Motorsport: Anything that goes left and right.
Favourite Racing Car: Too Many to mention
Favourite Driver: Kimi,Niki,Jim(none called Michael)
Favourite Circuit: Nordschleife, Spa, Mt Panorama.
Car(s) Currently Owned: Audi SQ5 3.0L V6 TwinTurbo
Location: Just moved 3 klms further away so now 11 klms from Albert Park, Melbourne.

Post by Everso Biggyballies »

Cheeveer wrote: 3 years ago 'ello

I am looking for any contemporary reports from the years' when Maserati cars raced at the Indy 500. They did so in 1930, 1937-1951 and were entered in 1952, 1953 and in 1959 (then with the Eldorado Special). So contemporary reports of those editions is what I am looking for. I have access to Motor Sport Magazine's archive, so no need me to link me there.
The (Indy winning) Maserati 8CTF was the first non-American car inducted into the Library of Congress..... https://www.news24.com/wheels/news/clas ... 20200531-2

Or how the sinking of the Titanic indirectly helped pay for Maserati to win Indy: https://www.hagerty.com/media/archived/ ... indy-wins/

From Maserati themselves: https://www.maserati.com/international/ ... olis%20500.

* I started life with nothing, and still have most of it left

“Good drivers have dead flies on the side windows!” (Walter Röhrl)

* I married Miss Right. Just didn't know her first name was Always
Cheeveer

Post by Cheeveer »

Everso Biggyballies wrote: 3 years ago
Cheeveer wrote: 3 years ago 'ello

The (Indy winning) Maserati 8CTF was the first non-American car inducted into the Library of Congress..... https://www.news24.com/wheels/news/clas ... 20200531-2

Or how the sinking of the Titanic indirectly helped pay for Maserati to win Indy: https://www.hagerty.com/media/archived/ ... indy-wins/

From Maserati themselves: https://www.maserati.com/international/ ... olis%20500.
thanks, but those are not contemporary reports. I'm looking for what was said about these cars at the time. In 1930 for example, I know that the V16 Borzacchini drove was arranged in a photo-op together with the Cadillac V16 that was the pace car. Why was that? What was the huzzah around that car? And so on.

***Some say you should live each day like it was your last... but who wants to live each day in wild panic and extreme death anxiety?

The universe, look at the hugeness of it... it is a dizzying thought that little ol' me is the centre of it all!***
Everso Biggyballies
Legendary Member
Legendary Member
Location: Just moved 3 klms further away so now 11 klms from Albert Park, Melbourne.

oops.... my bad. :blush:

Everso Biggyballies
Legendary Member
Legendary Member

Cheeveer wrote: 3 years ago In 1930 for example, I know that the V16 Borzacchini drove was arranged in a photo-op together with the Cadillac V16 that was the pace car. Why was that? What was the huzzah around that car? And so on.

To be pedantic the Caddy was apparently not the pace car itself but was an official's car..... the Pace car in 1930 was actually a 1930 Cord L-29

Got that info from an ebay listing for the pic of the Maserati and the Cadillac : https://www.ebay.com/itm/1930-Maserati- ... 1195.m1851

Just scroll down the page for the info.

PTRACER
Forum Administrator
Forum Administrator
Favourite Motorsport: Formula 1
Favourite Racing Car: Lotus 49
Favourite Driver: Gilles Villeneuve, James Hunt
Favourite Circuit: Nordschleife
Car(s) Currently Owned: Mitsubishi Lancer Evo X JDM

Post by PTRACER »

On a widescreen monitor these two images below should be side-by-side. I guess the 'huzzah' was that it was the first fully foreign entry to the 500? According to the newspapers anyway.

ImageImage
Developer of the 1967v3 Historic Mod for Grand Prix Legends: viewtopic.php?t=17429

King of the Race Track, Destroyer of Tyres, Breaker of Lap Records
Cheeveer

Post by Cheeveer »

Everso Biggyballies wrote: 3 years ago
Cheeveer wrote: 3 years ago In 1930 for example, I know that the V16 Borzacchini drove was arranged in a photo-op together with the Cadillac V16 that was the pace car. Why was that? What was the huzzah around that car? And so on.

To be pedantic the Caddy was apparently not the pace car itself but was an official's car..... the Pace car in 1930 was actually a 1930 Cord L-29

Got that info from an ebay listing for the pic of the Maserati and the Cadillac : https://www.ebay.com/itm/1930-Maserati- ... 1195.m1851

Just scroll down the page for the info.
Alright, great, missed that!

Cheeveer

Post by Cheeveer »

PTRACER wrote: 3 years ago On a widescreen monitor these two images below should be side-by-side. I guess the 'huzzah' was that it was the first fully foreign entry to the 500? According to the newspapers anyway.

ImageImage
this is great, but it doesn't really checks out? I thought Peugeot entered (and won) with their factory team as early as 1913 with Jules Goux. Anyway, just the sort of content I was looking for.