1935 Philipe Étancelin, Monza GP, 4th Rd. EDC

Post your requests for pictures, videos or documents here and we will find it for you!
Jesper Hvid
Permanent Ban
Permanent Ban

1935 Philipe Étancelin, Monza GP, 4th Rd. EDC

Post by Jesper Hvid »

Étancelin destroyed his Subalpina Maserati completely in a nasty looking crash when the throttle stuck open in the chicane on lap 15. Fortunately for the driver there were no bones broken (Note 1) but it still meant that Étancelin was out for the rest of the season with severe bruising.
Any other stuff out there?
Vladimir Kovalenko
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by Vladimir Kovalenko »

There was no WDC in 1935.
Vladimir Kovalenko
Jesper Hvid
Permanent Ban
Permanent Ban

Post by Jesper Hvid »

Vladimir Kovalenko wrote:There was no WDC in 1935.
Correct, it was the European.
Jesper Hvid
Permanent Ban
Permanent Ban

Post by Jesper Hvid »

I think I've found it.

From L'Illustrazione Italiana, 15 Sept 1935. Front page, and full report centre pages, click to enlarge:

ImageImage

Hard to read the blurry text, but I think, bottom left, it says something like: "La Maserati di Étancelin".

Over to the bottom right, similarly: "La Bugatti di Wimille", (#16, which retired for below reason):

On lap 27 Wimille's Bugatti broke a con-rod, dropping large crankcase pieces all over the track. Despite some flames and a lot of smoke, Wimille was able to steer to the side of the track and get out of the burning car in a hurry. The fire was soon extinguished and the field had now shrunk to nine cars.
http://www.kolumbus.fi/leif.snellman/gp3509.htm#39

Can be purchased on eBay. Only way to get proper versions of the pics is to get hold of the actual thing.

https://www.ebay.it/itm/264507284199?ha ... Swbn1drtsZ