Chuck Berry, Rock & Roll Innovator, Dead at 90

Music old and new, musical instruments and musical theory. No copyrighted MP3s may be posted in this forum!
strad
Ultimate Member
Ultimate Member
Car(s) Currently Owned: 2004 Mustang SVT Cobra + Colorado

Chuck Berry, Rock & Roll Innovator, Dead at 90

Post by strad »

Title says it all.
A legend, one of the all time greats.
Rest In Peace Chuck we will be playing your licks 50 years from now :rip:
http://www.stradsplace.com/public_html/MUSIC/Nadine.mp3
If a man can't look at danger and still go on, man has stopped living. If the worst ever happens – then it means simply that I've been asked to pay the bill for the happiness of my life – without a moment's regret. Graham Hill
strad
Ultimate Member
Ultimate Member

Post by strad »

As the Dead said.. "This is the one it's all about"
http://www.stradsplace.com/public_html/ ... 0Goode.mp3
If a man can't look at danger and still go on, man has stopped living. If the worst ever happens – then it means simply that I've been asked to pay the bill for the happiness of my life – without a moment's regret. Graham Hill
Everso Biggyballies
Legendary Member
Legendary Member
Favourite Motorsport: Anything that goes left and right.
Favourite Racing Car: Too Many to mention
Favourite Driver: Kimi,Niki,Jim(none called Michael)
Favourite Circuit: Nordschleife, Spa, Mt Panorama.
Car(s) Currently Owned: Audi SQ5 3.0L V6 TwinTurbo
Location: Just moved 3 klms further away so now 11 klms from Albert Park, Melbourne.

Post by Everso Biggyballies »

RIP Chuck Berry. Another legend ....... :rip:

* I started life with nothing, and still have most of it left

“Good drivers have dead flies on the side windows!” (Walter Röhrl)

* I married Miss Right. Just didn't know her first name was Always
theracer120
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post by theracer120 »

I'm not that shocked given his age but still it's a great loss. I'm sure basically everybody of importance from the 50s and 60s who is still kicking will be paying their respects to him.
strad
Ultimate Member
Ultimate Member

Post by strad »

Jesper Hvid
Permanent Ban
Permanent Ban

Post by Jesper Hvid »

Hail, Hail, Rock and Roll!
strad
Ultimate Member
Ultimate Member

Post by strad »

PTRACER
Forum Administrator
Forum Administrator
Favourite Motorsport: Formula 1
Favourite Racing Car: Lotus 49
Favourite Driver: Gilles Villeneuve, James Hunt
Favourite Circuit: Nordschleife
Car(s) Currently Owned: Mitsubishi Lancer Evo X JDM

Post by PTRACER »

I think it's real sad that Chuck Berry's death has got so little attention. Rock 'n' Roll totally defined the 1950s, 60s, 70s and the 80s and this guy was at the forefront.

Nothing innovative has come out of Rock 'n' Roll for a good twenty years now. Just bands trying to imitate the same tired out styles on the cheap and not doing it half as good as others did back in the day. Modern heavy metal is even worse.

Also it's time to acknowledge that without black folks turning the blues into something a bit more energetic, there would be no rock 'n' roll.
Developer of the 1967v3 Historic Mod for Grand Prix Legends: viewtopic.php?t=17429

King of the Race Track, Destroyer of Tyres, Breaker of Lap Records
Everso Biggyballies
Legendary Member
Legendary Member
Location: Just moved 3 klms further away so now 11 klms from Albert Park, Melbourne.

PTRACER wrote: Also it's time to acknowledge that without black folks turning the blues into something a bit more energetic, there would be no rock 'n' roll.
Quoted for truth.

theracer120
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post by theracer120 »

PTRACER wrote:I think it's real sad that Chuck Berry's death has got so little attention. Rock 'n' Roll totally defined the 1950s, 60s, 70s and the 80s and this guy was at the forefront. After the 80s, it began to stagnate, nothing innovative has come out of Rock 'n' Roll for a good twenty years now. Just bands trying to imitate the same tired out styles on the cheap and not doing it half as good as they did back in the day. Mdoern heavy metal is even worse.
It did get in the first few stories and on the front page of the news I saw. I think the fact that Chuck was ninety and that his best days were 50+ years ago now probably meant the response to his death wasn't as strong as some other people who have died recently.

As far as rock is concerned, I'm not sure there is really any way for the genre to progress anymore, at least not in a way that has commercial potential. There also doesn't really seem to be any rock or metal influences in the pop of today outside of maybe some light singer-songwriter stuff, it's all rap, hip-hop, modern R & B and electronic that shows through.
Cheeveer
Favourite Racing Car: Panoz GTR1
Favourite Driver: Alex Zanardi
Favourite Circuit: Bathurst

Post by Cheeveer »

Rock & roll is better of outside the mainstream anyway. There is a lot of contemporary bands I like, but not really because they are back from the future.
PTRACER wrote:Also it's time to acknowledge that without black folks turning the blues into something a bit more energetic, there would be no rock 'n' roll.
Everyone that is worthwhile has done that since the 60's.
***Some say you should live each day like it was your last... but who wants to live each day in wild panic and extreme death anxiety?

The universe, look at the hugeness of it... it is a dizzying thought that little ol' me is the centre of it all!***
strad
Ultimate Member
Ultimate Member

Post by strad »

http://www.stradsplace.com/public_html/ ... h%20Me.mp3
http://www.stradsplace.com/public_html/MUSIC/Carol.mp3
One thing I find interesting about Chucks music is that people think it's so simple and that anyone can play his licks.
Well I don't remember the name of the documentary but it was Keith Richards I believe was trying to put on a show with Chuck and some others to raise money to reopen some club from back in the day.
So Chuck is working with Keith on one of Chucks classics and Chuck kept stopping him and telling him he wasn't doing it right. "You start here then go to here,,, You're doing it like this .. it's wrong." It got quite contentious.
In a nutshell cats have been listening and thinking this is simple I can copy that..
http://www.stradsplace.com/public_html/ ... o%20Go.mp3
Everso Biggyballies
Legendary Member
Legendary Member

strad wrote: Well I don't remember the name of the documentary but it was Keith Richards I believe was trying to put on a show with Chuck and some others to raise money to reopen some club from back in the day.
So Chuck is working with Keith on one of Chucks classics and Chuck kept stopping him and telling him he wasn't doing it right. "You start here then go to here,,, You're doing it like this .. it's wrong." It got quite contentious.
[/url]
Hehehe I think I recall seeing that doco on TV.
Also amusing is the story behind when Chuck punched Keith in the face. Keith relates the tale in this interview

Edit: I found an interesting article about Keith and Chuck outlining all of the above.
If you think Keith Richards’ relationship with Mick Jagger is contentious, consider his friendship with Chuck Berry. The Rolling Stones guitarist’s interactions with Berry have included being ignored, demeaned, punched, burned and – in the ultimate insult for a performer – kicked off the rock ’n’ roll legend’s stage.

That last incident happened on Jan. 21, 1972, when Berry was playing the Hollywood Palladium and riding high on the success of his current (and final) hit, “My Ding-a-Ling.” The rock pioneer served as the middle act between Focus and headliner Black Oak Arkansas, who had handpicked Berry for the show.
Hiring Berry meant that you only got him and his guitar, with the venue and/or main act having to provide a backing band and the other musical equipment. BOA’s Jim “Dandy” Mangrum remembers finding out that the Rolling Stones were currently in Los Angeles working on the band’s next album and thought about seeing if they would serve as Berry’s band.

“And what if we didn’t tell Chuck?” Mangrum recalled as the members of Black Oak Arkansas giggled while enacting the nefarious plan.

However, Mangrum’s memory can’t be totally trusted because, although he has claimed the entire Stones lineup (minus Jagger) played with Berry that night, not all members of the band were in L.A. at the time. It’s more likely that Richards was the only Stone on stage, with two other sidemen picked to play bass and drums, and session keyboardist Nicky Hopkins, who often worked with the Stones.
So Berry started up his set and quickly became disgruntled with the sound. He stopped a song dead cold and barks his displeasure into the microphone about only needing the bassist and the drummer, indicating that Hopkins and Richards should leave. In Brown Eyed Handsome Man: The Life and Hard Times of Chuck Berry, Bruce Pegg wrote that Richards had his amp turned up too loud for Chuck’s liking, while others have suggested that Berry was threatened by being potentially upstaged by a fellow rock star.

For his part, Berry claimed that he didn’t recognize Richards and that he had no idea he was the guitarist playing with him. On the other hand, there are photos that show Chuck angrily pointing at Keith, who is wearing a lips logo shirt and same logo as a patch on his jacket. Regardless, a dejected Richards left the stage without an argument and the Berry’s set proceeded with no further issues.
Of course, the same can’t be said of Richards’s relationship with Berry over the years. The incidents include the “Johnny B. Goode” legend snubbing the Rolling Stones upon meeting them for the first time as well as punching Keith in the face in 1981 during a backstage encounter in New York (Chuck claims he didn’t recognize him that time either). He also threw a lit match down Richards’s shirt in 1983 and made all sorts of trouble for the Stones guitarist during the filming of Hail! Hail! Rock ’n’ Roll – although Berry let him stay on stage for that concert.

“Every time him and me got in contact, whether it’s intentional or not, I end up getting wounded,” Richards later remarked, while indicating that no one but Chuck could get away with treating him that way.

But Keith has continued to laugh off Berry’s rough edges, wearing Chuck’s abuse like a badge of honor when he tells the stories on late night talk shows or in documentaries. Richards even made reference to the 1972 incident when he and the X-Pensive Winos played the Hollywood Palladium in 1988.
At the end of the opening number “Take it So Hard,” Richards welcomed the crowd to “a stage I’ve been thrown off many times.”

http://ultimateclassicrock.com/chuck-be ... ck=tsmclip

strad
Ultimate Member
Ultimate Member

Post by strad »

The incident I was talking about was in Hail Hail Rock and Roll,,I think about 30-33 minutes in.
I have the video ,, It's just seconds under 2 hours and 2.42 Gb.
Anybody??
Jesper Hvid
Permanent Ban
Permanent Ban

Post by Jesper Hvid »

Yes, please.