Geoff Nicholls (1948 - 2017)

Music old and new, musical instruments and musical theory. No copyrighted MP3s may be posted in this forum!
erwin greven
Staff
Staff
Favourite Motorsport: Endurance Racing
Favourite Racing Car: Lancia Delta 038 S4 Group B
Favourite Driver: Ronnie Peterson
Favourite Circuit: Nuerburgring Nordschleife
Car(s) Currently Owned: Peugeot 206 SW Air-Line 3 2007

Geoff Nicholls (1948 - 2017)

Post by erwin greven »

Geoff Nicholls, Black Sabbath Keyboardist, Dead at 68
Geoff Nicholls, Black Sabbath's longtime keyboardist who performed with the heavy metal legends for 25 years, died Saturday following a battle with lung cancer. He was 68.

Geoff Nicholls (far right)

"I'm so saddened to hear the loss of one of my dearest and closest friends Geoff Nicholls," Tony Iommi wrote on Facebook Saturday. "Geoff and I have always been very close and he has been a real true friend to me and supported me all the way for nearly 40 years. I will miss him dearly and he will live in my heart until we meet again. Rest in peace my dear friend."

Quartz, Nicholls' previous band before he joined Black Sabbath in 1979, also confirmed Nicholls' death on Facebook. "Everyone in the band, and associated with the band, are struggling to find the words to express their feelings and sadness regarding the passing of their dear friend Geoff Nicholls earlier this morning at home," Quartz wrote.

"Geoff had been unwell for a long time battling cancer and had under gone extensive radio and chemotherapy plus other trial treatment but all sadly to no avail in the end. In this darkest and lowest moment of time Geoff's lyrics and music speak volumes to us and for us and through these his memory will live on forever."

Following a five-year stint with Quartz – whose self-titled debut was produced by Iommi – Nicholls, along with vocalist Ronnie James Dio, were recruited to join Black Sabbath following Ozzy Osbourne's firing in 1979.

Nicholls first appeared on Black Sabbath's 1980 LP Heaven and Hell – he's credited with crafting the menacing bassline for that album's classic title track – and remained with the band through nine studio albums, Live at the Hammersmith Odeon, world tours and a steady flow of lineup changes.

In 1985, Nicholls became an "official" member of Black Sabbath, a title he held intermittently until 1996, when Osbourne rejoined the band. Nicholls' tenure with Black Sabbath ended in 2004 when keyboardist Adam Wakeman, a member of Osbourne's touring unit, was hired to replace him in Sabbath.

"Very sad to hear of old friend and Sabbath keyboard player Geoff Nicholls passing. RIP Geoff," Black Sabbath's Geezer Butler wrote Saturday.
http://www.rollingstone.com/music/news/ ... 68-w463564
Brian Redman: "Mr. Fangio, how do you come so fast?" "More throttle, less brakes...."
caneparo
Legendary Member
Legendary Member
Favourite Racing Car: Ferrari
Favourite Circuit: Monza
Car(s) Currently Owned: Fiat 500X

Post by caneparo »

Rip :(
I am from Italy, a country known for its history, cars, food, wine, and horny men
http://www.facebook.com/pages/Forged-In ... 565?ref=ts
Everso Biggyballies
Legendary Member
Legendary Member
Favourite Motorsport: Anything that goes left and right.
Favourite Racing Car: Too Many to mention
Favourite Driver: Kimi,Niki,Jim(none called Michael)
Favourite Circuit: Nordschleife, Spa, Mt Panorama.
Car(s) Currently Owned: Audi SQ5 3.0L V6 TwinTurbo
Location: Just moved 3 klms further away so now 11 klms from Albert Park, Melbourne.

Post by Everso Biggyballies »

RIP :rip:

* I started life with nothing, and still have most of it left

“Good drivers have dead flies on the side windows!” (Walter Röhrl)

* I married Miss Right. Just didn't know her first name was Always