R.I.P David Bowie

Music old and new, musical instruments and musical theory. No copyrighted MP3s may be posted in this forum!
erwin greven
Staff
Staff
Favourite Motorsport: Endurance Racing
Favourite Racing Car: Lancia Delta 038 S4 Group B
Favourite Driver: Ronnie Peterson
Favourite Circuit: Nuerburgring Nordschleife
Car(s) Currently Owned: Peugeot 206 SW Air-Line 3 2007

R.I.P David Bowie

Post by erwin greven »

Legendary singer David Bowie has died at the age of 69 after battling cancer in secret for 18 months.

The star, who released a new album last week, was known as the creator of glam rock and was one of the most successful artists of the 20th century.

A spokesman for Bowie said this morning: 'David Bowie died peacefully today surrounded by his family after a courageous 18-month battle with cancer.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/tvshowbiz/ar ... ancer.html
Brian Redman: "Mr. Fangio, how do you come so fast?" "More throttle, less brakes...."
Everso Biggyballies
Legendary Member
Legendary Member
Favourite Motorsport: Anything that goes left and right.
Favourite Racing Car: Too Many to mention
Favourite Driver: Kimi,Niki,Jim(none called Michael)
Favourite Circuit: Nordschleife, Spa, Mt Panorama.
Car(s) Currently Owned: Audi SQ5 3.0L V6 TwinTurbo
Location: Just moved 3 klms further away so now 11 klms from Albert Park, Melbourne.

Post by Everso Biggyballies »

It has been confirmed that David Bowie has lost his battle with cancer and passed away today, just 2 days past his 69th birthday.

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/news/d ... ist-854364
"David Bowie died peacefully today surrounded by his family after a courageous 18 month battle with cancer. While many of you will share in this loss, we ask that you respect the family’s privacy during their time of grief," read a statement posted on the artist's official social media accounts.

* I started life with nothing, and still have most of it left

“Good drivers have dead flies on the side windows!” (Walter Röhrl)

* I married Miss Right. Just didn't know her first name was Always
Puhis
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Favourite Motorsport: Formula 1, Rallying
Favourite Racing Car: Lotus 79
Favourite Driver: Mika Häkkinen
Favourite Circuit: Nürburgring
Car(s) Currently Owned: -

Post by Puhis »

According to his son, artist David Bowie has passed away aged 69 after a long battle with cancer. NY Daily News article.

Legendary musician David Bowie has died following a battle with cancer just days after his 69th birthday, his son confirmed.

"Very sorry and sad to say it's true," Bowie's son, Duncan Jones, tweeted. "I'll be offline for awhile. Love to all."
The legendary David Bowie, best known for alter-ego, the ostentatious, androgynous ''Ziggy Stardust'' during the glam-rock era, has died just days after his 69th birthday on Jan. 11, 2016. "David Bowie died peacefully today surrounded by his family after a courageous 18 month battle with cancer. While many of you will share in this loss, we ask that you respect the family's privacy during their time of grief," a statement on the star's Facebook account read.
For editorial use only. Any commercial or promotional use of CBS content requires CBS's prior written consent - contact your local office for assistance.
Chart-topping R&B singer Natalie Cole, who followed her famous father Nat King Cole in the music business with hits like "This Will Be (An Everlasting Love)" and "Unforgettable," died at age 65. Cole, who had struggled with a variety of health issues in recent years, died at a Los Angles hospital, according to TMZ.com.

Bowie’s death was first announced on a verified Facebook and Twitter account associated with the glam rock star in a brief message that stated Bowie been fighting cancer for nearly two years.

“David Bowie died peacefully today surrounded by his family after a courageous 18 month battle with cancer,” the statement read. “While many of you will share in this loss, we ask that you respect the family’s privacy during their time of grief.”

Bowie had just released a new album, “Blackstar,” two days earlier on his birthday, Jan. 8. It was the 27th album of a distinguished career that spanned nearly six decades.

Born as David Jones in South London in 1947, he changed his last name to Bowie to avoid being confused with The Monkees lead singer Davy Jones. After releasing his first mega-hit, the 1969 song “Space Oddity,” nobody could confuse him with anyone else.

Sad times for music. Rest in peace.

(I deleted the topic I made, since I later noticed you already posted one a minute earlier).
"When you put the car into the wall, you have made some mistake before it's in the wall."

-Tapani Linnaluoto, my commentary partner during a Classic Lotus Grand Prix race at Watkins Glen.
sebbbl
Advanced Member
Advanced Member
Favourite Motorsport: Grand Prix Racing
Favourite Racing Car: Ferrari 312T
Favourite Driver: Mark Webber
Favourite Circuit: AVUS
Car(s) Currently Owned: Ford Focus

Post by sebbbl »

Great artist and musician. R.I.P. Ziggy Stardust
theracer120
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post by theracer120 »

Damn, that is a serious loss. RIP David.
PTRACER
Forum Administrator
Forum Administrator
Favourite Motorsport: Formula 1
Favourite Racing Car: Lotus 49
Favourite Driver: Gilles Villeneuve, James Hunt
Favourite Circuit: Nordschleife
Car(s) Currently Owned: Mitsubishi Lancer Evo X JDM

Post by PTRACER »

What the hell? :sorrow: All our legends are being taken away and the world isn't creating any new ones to replace them.

RIP
Developer of the 1967v3 Historic Mod for Grand Prix Legends: viewtopic.php?t=17429

King of the Race Track, Destroyer of Tyres, Breaker of Lap Records
Cheeveer
Favourite Racing Car: Panoz GTR1
Favourite Driver: Alex Zanardi
Favourite Circuit: Bathurst

Post by Cheeveer »

Being a rock star is a hard life... fortune and fame and women and sex, drugs & rock & roll, until you are about 70, and then you die quietly in your own home surrounded by friends and family...

I was just talking about him the other day with a friend: "why is he releasing new music? He should go out on tour, then people would really get to appreciate him!" I had no idea about his cancer. Very sad. RIP.
***Some say you should live each day like it was your last... but who wants to live each day in wild panic and extreme death anxiety?

The universe, look at the hugeness of it... it is a dizzying thought that little ol' me is the centre of it all!***
Antonov
Legendary Member
Legendary Member
Favourite Motorsport: Formula 1
Favourite Racing Car: MP4/13 ; F40
Favourite Driver: M. Hakkinen
Favourite Circuit: Some shitty street circuit
Car(s) Currently Owned: VW Golf GTI

Post by Antonov »

hope you enjoy singing the duet again

RIP
kals
Legendary Member
Legendary Member
Favourite Motorsport: F1..BTCC..MotoGP
Favourite Racing Car: Benetton B189
Favourite Circuit: Donington Park

Post by kals »

RIP to another great man
caneparo
Legendary Member
Legendary Member
Favourite Racing Car: Ferrari
Favourite Circuit: Monza
Car(s) Currently Owned: Fiat 500X

Post by caneparo »

Puhis wrote:
Fantastic song
I am from Italy, a country known for its history, cars, food, wine, and horny men
http://www.facebook.com/pages/Forged-In ... 565?ref=ts
kals
Legendary Member
Legendary Member
Favourite Motorsport: F1..BTCC..MotoGP
Favourite Racing Car: Benetton B189
Favourite Circuit: Donington Park

Post by kals »

On Friday, Bowie's birthday, I saw this song and video being released and just skipped past it. Listening to it today, the meaning is obvious

Thanks for the music and memories. A true class act.
Jesper Hvid
Permanent Ban
Permanent Ban

Post by Jesper Hvid »

sebbbl wrote:Great artist and musician. R.I.P. Ziggy Stardust
He was the Chameleon of rock music. The whole World feels this loss. One of a kind. And that is still one of my favorite albums.

It's possibly the greatest concept rock album of all, and easily as influential as for example Tommy and The Wall, but more restrained, less pompous.

“My entire career, I’ve only really worked with the same subject matter,” Bowie said in a rare interview in 2002. “The trousers may change, but the actual words and subjects I’ve always chosen to write with are things to do with isolation, abandonment, fear and anxiety, all of the high points of one’s life.”

That much ought to be as clear as day. He showed this darkly sensitive side of himself, from the start. But really an amazing statement, he's being ironic about the life-long turmoil of his soul. If he hadn't made it in music, I'm sure he'd have killed himself. His art probably saved him from manic depression.
Jesper Hvid
Permanent Ban
Permanent Ban

Post by Jesper Hvid »

Bowie wrote:isolation, abandonment, fear and anxiety
That's also I think why he became a youth icon. Poet of a generation.
Jesper Hvid
Permanent Ban
Permanent Ban

Post by Jesper Hvid »

kals wrote:On Friday, Bowie's birthday, I saw this song and video being released and just skipped past it. Listening to it today, the meaning is obvious

Thanks for the music and memories. A true class act.
Yes, and I don't even find this in the least bit morbid. It's the true performer, giving his very last breath to his art.
Jesper Hvid
Permanent Ban
Permanent Ban

Post by Jesper Hvid »

It fails, it's crap. A dying shame...? That's not even intended as a pun.
The album received a thumbs-up from most critics including the Independent, which called it "the most extreme album of his (Bowie's) entire career".
I don't care, it's crap.