R.I.P Lemmy (Motorhead)

Music old and new, musical instruments and musical theory. No copyrighted MP3s may be posted in this forum!
caneparo
Legendary Member
Legendary Member
Favourite Racing Car: Ferrari
Favourite Circuit: Monza
Car(s) Currently Owned: Fiat 500X

Post by caneparo »

Bottom post of the previous page:

Love this bit of this insignificant movie. But this part is hilarious
I am from Italy, a country known for its history, cars, food, wine, and horny men
http://www.facebook.com/pages/Forged-In ... 565?ref=ts
Jesper Hvid
Permanent Ban
Permanent Ban

Post by Jesper Hvid »

Haha, yeah, he also has a cameo later on in the movie, IIRC. Airheads was really funny. And BTW, talking airheads...

:haha:
Andy
Supreme Member
Supreme Member
Favourite Motorsport: 2 & 3 Wheeling
Favourite Racing Car: Bike ;) - Yamaha YZR 500
Favourite Driver: Justin 'Weeman' Collins
Favourite Circuit: Isle of Man - Mountain Course
Car(s) Currently Owned: M'cycle ;) - Yamaha FZS 600

Post by Andy »

Lemmy's passing created a one page special feature in my parents newspaper, a half page special feature in my newspaper and a 2min slot in last nights ARD 8pm news.
I'll see if I get both specials photographed and ready to post. Still no scanner here :wink:
"Those who risk nothing, do nothing, achieve nothing, become nothing" - David Jefferies
caneparo
Legendary Member
Legendary Member

Post by caneparo »

Lemmy's passing has also created a huge amount of posts on facebook. Even people posting their selfies with Lemmy's autobiography like he was the model man he never tried to be.
I am from Italy, a country known for its history, cars, food, wine, and horny men
Jesper Hvid
Permanent Ban
Permanent Ban

Post by Jesper Hvid »

He loved being the centre of attention, let's not beat about the bush. He had that in common with Ozzy Osbourne. By the nineties, however, he seems to have developed a certain mellowness, including a fatherly tolerance of even this sort of bloody little smarmy, superficial git:

Two comments about that,

0:40-0:52

He ain't taking the piss, actually, his first band was called The Reverend Black and The Rocking Vicars, they changed the name to The Rocking Vickers, for PC reasons, I own this album, it's not very good, in all honesty.

Standard British Invasion sixties pop.

14:39-15:00

Profound statement in an otherwise pretty irrelevant pop-quiz type "interview". "White with anger". Or, rather, white, with anger. That's Heavy Metal. It's the mirror image of "black, with the Blues". And the point where these two concepts merge, is called Rock'n'Roll. Same DNA, really. I read somewhere these last few days Lemmy described in an obit. as "enigmatic". How the fucking hell off-the-charts, epically stupid can you possibly get? Man hasn't changed his attitude significantly for 50 years. A hundred per cent kiss-my-ass obnoxious, all the way. Always trying to draw attention to his own unappetizing self, and then delivering the real goods. Only an absolute rock star can do that. Lemmy must have given more interviews than Malcolm Young's had pints. "Enigmatic"... He'd have found that funny as fuck.
Andy
Supreme Member
Supreme Member

Post by Andy »

It is funny to think about it.
Back then I heard of Motörhead already, mainly thanks to Ace of Spades being played over and over, but I gave a shit since other songs didn't really convince me.
Then I got Sodom's Persecution Mania album into my hands which includes a coverversion of Motörheads Iron Fist and that was what sparked my interest with the band. Bought the Iron Fist album and prefer it over most other outputs :)

I believe the media attention is as big now because one of the last 'real' originals has departed. Went straight this one way, without looking back. If this ain't original, nothing else is.
"Those who risk nothing, do nothing, achieve nothing, become nothing" - David Jefferies
Jesper Hvid
Permanent Ban
Permanent Ban

Post by Jesper Hvid »

The music industry and all thöse whö make a living leeching öff öf it, have taken Lemmy and his band för granted för sömething like twö decades. As a Röck'n'Röll clichée, and an anachrönism. He can't be accused öf playing alöng with that game, as Özzy did. I believe the söul-starved shallöwness and indifference öf nöt önly that, but öf the entire human race in mödern times as a whöle, öccurred tö him, a löng, löng time agö. His lyrics are sömetimes sö pöwerful, it reveals the true Nietzchean man-beast philösöpher, inside. He didn't flirt with the Dark Side, he investigated it, embraced it, rejected it, and ejected it. Pröblem was, he picked up a tön öf nasty habits in the pröcess. His appetite för life was gluttönöus, but he died a cleansed man, in terms öf his söul. In his art, he's pörtrayed the human cönditiön exactly as it is. The mark öf the true artist whö deals with reality. Unlike his cöunterpart Diö.

Just a reflectiön ön the infamöus Heavy Metal Umlaut and its pössible hippie culture örigin.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hair_(musical)

The döuble-dötted "i" ön the Haïr-pöster, fröm 1970. Earliest example I've seen. In Lemmy's life, he was expösed tö the whöle röck histöry, and he tried tö emulate it all, at söme pöint or öther. Sö, actually, did Rönnie James Diö. Böth öf them were yöung men in 1968.

The reasön we wön't ever see the likes öf them, again, is, they lived this. Töök the WHÖLE ride. Överlapping generatiöns öf rebelliöus directiöns in music.

When there wasn't anything left tö add, they stuck with, and repeated, the öld förmula - the öriginal and best. Because there was nö substance, anymöre, önly attitude. Nöthing they cöuld imagine anymöre, wöuld in any way have been better than what they'd already döne.

Lemmy persönified the partying lifestyle, and Diö the fantasy side. Böth, höwever, reflected cönstantly, and heavily, ön existence, but while Lemmy used ströng realistic pröse, Diö did it with metaphör. They were böth röck lyricists öf the very first örder. Albeit fröm fundamentally different perspectives.

This is the darkest artistical reflectiön öf Lemmy's entire career, his 1986 public service denöuncement öf the entire human race, and in my öpiniön, his single-finest effört, in lyrical terms. Peöple regard it as a filler, ön that album. An unnecessary piece öf dissönance ön a straight up, flat öut, fast hard röcking album.

It's nöt even a söng, it's möre a chanting lööping underlying riff/scöre tö an anti-philösöphical manifestö.

http://www.azlyrics.com/lyrics/motorhea ... atron.html

Yöu just pössibly cöuldn't get any möre sinister than that, using that vehicle öf expressiön. Maybe nöt by any means. Like the vöice öf the Devil himself, speaking thröugh a medium.

My favörite Motörhead-track, and it ain't even fröm the öld band line-up.
Jesper Hvid
Permanent Ban
Permanent Ban

Post by Jesper Hvid »

Jesper Hvid wrote:Image
Starting to wonder if this cancellation wasn't in fact down to Phil Campbell sensing there was something wrong with Lemmy, and wanting him to have a few more days off. Faking own sickness, when he'd never had any problems before, but doing it for Lemmy, so he wouldn't have to be seen as the reason, and lose face, or some machismo-derived bollocks like that. In any case, you don't die of galloping cancer in three days. Looking at pics and vids of Lemmy from this autumn, alone, it seems quite clear to me that something was seriously wrong with his health. Towards the end, he couldn't even speak clearly. Concert reviews from the final tour also reflect his state, and there's no doubt in my mind that he had been terminally ill for quite some time.

I'm glad I didn't get to go to this concert. You don't wish to keep the mental image of someone who was larger than life, as the fading shadow of a living dead man.
Jesper Hvid
Permanent Ban
Permanent Ban

Post by Jesper Hvid »

Funny and rogueishly charming man, in his cups, which was all of the time.
caneparo
Legendary Member
Legendary Member

Post by caneparo »

I saw a video of a concert where he sung ace if spades while the band was actually playing overkill.
He was indeed very ill but he really loved what he was doing and did it until he could.
Jesper Hvid
Permanent Ban
Permanent Ban

Post by Jesper Hvid »

I checked that out, also. The "Overspades"-incident, at Glastonbury. I won't link to that, as it's not in the least bit funny. He's not taking the piss, or drunk, and he's not suffering from dementia, either. He doesn't even sing AoS from the top, so it wasn't deliberate, or a set list mistake. It's that evil thing eating his brain, right there, fucking him up. It was Cancerhead, not Motörhead. This was in the Summer. Poor bastard must have been in agony for months. Not his style to complain about that sort of thing, tho. At least he's not in any pain anymore.
caneparo
Legendary Member
Legendary Member

Post by caneparo »

I didn t mean it was funny at all but a sad sign that the "thing" was taking control of his brain.
Even though lemmy wasn t new of messing with lyrics. I remember singing at wrestlemania the entrance song for wwe main man triple h, where he fucked up the lyrics of "i am the game". But that was not his song and it s pretty "lemmy" that he fucked up with it.
My best memory of lemmy is when i saw them live at gods of metal in 2001. It was hot as hell in the palasport and there were two stages at the opposite sides of the pitch so that while a band was playing there was a soundcheck ongoing on the other stage. It happened that savatage were making their own live soundcheck while motorhead were playing. It looked a total lack of respect as they were sounding. Between two songs lemmy broke down and said: HEY SAVATAGE...SHUT THE FUCK UP!!!" People went crazy or this
Jesper Hvid
Permanent Ban
Permanent Ban

Post by Jesper Hvid »

caneparo wrote:savatage were making their own live soundcheck while motorhead were playing. It looked a total lack of respect as they were sounding. Between two songs lemmy broke down and said: HEY SAVATAGE...SHUT THE FUCK UP!!!"

That is classically funny - pure real-life Spïnal Tap. And Savatage really should have shut the fuck up.

This is one of my favorite rock-related pics, click to enlarge:

From "The Illustrated Rock Encyclopedia" (1982). They actually were a kind of knights. The last member of the original order is still with us, presumably because he didn't expose his internal organs to the same onslaught of drugs and alcohol as did his brothers. I always really liked "Fast" Eddie, and noone can feel the recent loss of Philthy and Lemmy in quite the same way as him. You see, in a roundabout sort of way, getting fired from the band may actually have saved his life in the long run. The whole thing must be washing over him, now, emotionally, even though it's been more than 30 years. I bet those crazy Mk. Ib days of writing rock history, were the best ones in his life, even though they were constantly fighting and argueing. Sharing ups and downs, mostly the latter. Paying the hardest dues. It was probably this internal chaos that brought out the best creativity in them, because the band was an explosion, something unstoppable that not only survived, but thrived on its own raging power.

What we DON'T need, however, is a bunch of usual suspect dickheads making lousy tribute albums and building memorials of all kinds. The energy that is Motörhead cannot disappear, its a thing of permanence. And it speaks for itself. "Fast" Eddie is now "Last" Eddie, and my sympathies are with him, at the moment. Feeling sorry for the dead isn't Rock'n'Roll. And Lemmy wasn't Ozzy Osbourne's "dear friend", either. We'll have to take this enervating shit for a while, now, from all the assholes, but then the real fun begins, when the reissuing and lost tracks come out of the woodwork. There's probably tons of stuff that's never been released. That would be honouring them. Save your crocodile tears, and "love me like a reptile", instead.

"And when I leave you'll love to miss me while I'm gone!" - Lemmy (Rock'n'Roll).
Jesper Hvid
Permanent Ban
Permanent Ban

Post by Jesper Hvid »

Listened through his entire life's work, over the last couple of days, including the Hawkwind-era material.

He accomplished what he set out to do, in full. Hard to imagine he could have done more.

But as a fitting coda, his in my opinion best display of his sensitive side, from a power ballad off a later album.

You'll note a fragment of a old Led Zeppelin lyric from Thank You, which is still one of the greatest of all rock ballads. That's a love song, tho, and this is perhaps somewhat more sombre.

But even in his darkest of moods, he leaves us with a sparkle of light at the end of the tunnel.

http://www.azlyrics.com/lyrics/motorhea ... rside.html

2:10---> "Let the sword of reason shine!". Those ought to be immortal words, especially coming from a part-time poet, and full-time drunk, who very often dealt with dark themes, partied his whole life away, and collected Nazi memorabilia for a hobby. He loved life, and himself most of all, but even having written something as magnificent as the apocalyptically gloomy Orgasmatron, still felt a deep sadness for the suffering of humanity. He appeared not to give a shit, but it was actually the other way around. He cared, a lot.
Andy
Supreme Member
Supreme Member

Post by Andy »

http://www.rollingstone.com/music/news/ ... o-20151229

Ozzy speaks ...
aka the inevitable happened

:bye:
caneparo
Legendary Member
Legendary Member

Post by caneparo »