R.I.P Lemmy (Motorhead)

Music old and new, musical instruments and musical theory. No copyrighted MP3s may be posted in this forum!
PTRACER
Forum Administrator
Forum Administrator
Favourite Motorsport: Formula 1
Favourite Racing Car: Lotus 49
Favourite Driver: Gilles Villeneuve, James Hunt
Favourite Circuit: Nordschleife
Car(s) Currently Owned: Mitsubishi Lancer Evo X JDM

R.I.P Lemmy (Motorhead)

Post by PTRACER »

He's died suddenly! Can't fucking believe it.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment ... ws_central
Developer of the 1967v3 Historic Mod for Grand Prix Legends: viewtopic.php?t=17429

King of the Race Track, Destroyer of Tyres, Breaker of Lap Records
Puhis
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Favourite Motorsport: Formula 1, Rallying
Favourite Racing Car: Lotus 79
Favourite Driver: Mika Häkkinen
Favourite Circuit: Nürburgring
Car(s) Currently Owned: -

Post by Puhis »

No way. I refuse to believe it. He is still the first guy who I think of, when someone mentions a real man.

Fucking Lemmy Kilmister. Dead. No. May you rock forever, dude.
"When you put the car into the wall, you have made some mistake before it's in the wall."

-Tapani Linnaluoto, my commentary partner during a Classic Lotus Grand Prix race at Watkins Glen.
erwin greven
Staff
Staff
Favourite Motorsport: Endurance Racing
Favourite Racing Car: Lancia Delta 038 S4 Group B
Favourite Driver: Ronnie Peterson
Favourite Circuit: Nuerburgring Nordschleife
Car(s) Currently Owned: Peugeot 206 SW Air-Line 3 2007

Post by erwin greven »

First Philty now Lemmy....

RIP Lemmy, may you shake the heavens

Brian Redman: "Mr. Fangio, how do you come so fast?" "More throttle, less brakes...."
sebbbl
Advanced Member
Advanced Member
Favourite Motorsport: Grand Prix Racing
Favourite Racing Car: Ferrari 312T
Favourite Driver: Mark Webber
Favourite Circuit: AVUS
Car(s) Currently Owned: Ford Focus

Post by sebbbl »

R.I.P. Lemmy

I am devastated.
caneparo
Legendary Member
Legendary Member
Favourite Racing Car: Ferrari
Favourite Circuit: Monza
Car(s) Currently Owned: Fiat 500X

Post by caneparo »

fuck....
I am from Italy, a country known for its history, cars, food, wine, and horny men
http://www.facebook.com/pages/Forged-In ... 565?ref=ts
Jesper Hvid
Permanent Ban
Permanent Ban

Post by Jesper Hvid »

Lemmy's finally easy, now... Which is good, because he won't have to read any of the torrential dipshit God or Valhalla or insulting afterlife platitude comments on his tribute sites, WHICH HE WOULD HAVE FUCKING HATED, as he believed in Rock 'n' Roll and nothing else, and he's spent much of his career as a music lyricist pointing out the filthy lies of all religion. And that includes the one by which Ozzy Osbourne appears to be deluded. You won't see Lemmy on the other side, you won't see him any more. But as long as you listen to his stuff, he's not really, truly gone, is he. And I don't get either, how it can come as a shock to anyone, that a life-long smoking, raging, drinking, snorting, rogering, touring, unhealty lifestyle enjoying, diabetic old man with a pacemaker, dies at 70. It was far more of a surprise that Philthy died. But that's Rock 'n' Roll, you don't reach old age, and if you DO, then it's because you're either Keith Richards, or not really a rock'n' roller, in the strictest sense. That's the price tag. You barter your health for the glory of rock and roll stardom.

And that's what he was. One of the biggest of all time.
Jesper Hvid
Permanent Ban
Permanent Ban

Post by Jesper Hvid »

This is the story of how Motörhead became "Lemmy's Band". Eddie wanted to be in the band, and Lemmy wanted to go to the USA and become famous. That wasn't possible, and the Mark Ib. line-up, which was the best one, hands down, ended over some goofy shit that shouldn't even have been done in the first place. When they became sort of popular, and finally started making money, the old Motörhead was gone. But there's no bitter resentment to detect in Eddie's interview, it was just the Eighties, I suppose. I don't think Lemmy hooked up with Ozzy until the 1990s, after the fourpiece with the lead guitar duo made their last semi-classic, the Rock'n'Roll-album, which also had that old bit of pseudocommercial silliness with the Eat The Rich-track from the b-movie crazy-comedy.

Here's the band's appearance on the Young Ones, which must have been around the recording of the No Remorse album, early on in the Mark III. history.

Undoubtably, their most underrated album is this:

The one with Brian Robertson (very temperamental Scot). I read in 1990 or so in an interview with Lemmy saying this was "his favorite band line-up". But that ended after just one tour, because the crowd didn't like Robbo, for some reason. "Shine" from that album was cloned as "The Boogeyman" on Rock'n'Roll. Another Perfect Day in fact seems to have had the same function in the band's career, as Flick of the Switch did, for AC/DC. It created the sort of template for their future material. All Motörhead's classic stuff comes out of the "Fast" Eddie era. The original threepiece. That was the real Motörhead, the best stuff. All of that was before my time, and I didn't see them live until 1989, they played an old cinema venue in Copenhagen.

But this ended the old Motörhead:

https://s-media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com/23 ... 391f89.jpg

Maybe there wasn't anymore great Mark Ib. material left in them, anyway, but I can understand why Eddie thought this was a total crock of shit (he was right, too), they were about to break big in the US. The reason he got booted out, was he said so. They never ever managed to produce anything nearly as good as the albums of that era. All the gigs I've seen with them, the encores were all old stuff, Eddie Clarke stuff, and the crowd always went apeshit. It's still the most durable material they did. But after that, it was Lemmy's band. You may conclude whatever you like.
Jesper Hvid
Permanent Ban
Permanent Ban

Post by Jesper Hvid »

He lived in Anglesey, Wales, as a child and acquired the nickname Lemmy while at school, although he claimed to have had no idea where it came from.
Supposedly, as he was perpetually skint and bummed money and cigarettes, all the time. "Lend me this, lend me that", lend me, le'me, Lemmy. Possibly hearsay, but it was never actually denied. They didn't have a pot to piss in, in the early days.
Jesper Hvid
Permanent Ban
Permanent Ban

Post by Jesper Hvid »

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lemmy#Religion

He had a great sense of humour, too.
Jesper Hvid
Permanent Ban
Permanent Ban

Post by Jesper Hvid »

One of his last interviews. Looks not only poorly, but actually a small step away from terminal. He's probably on strong medication at this time, but still has spiritedness, honesty, courage, style, class, and a sense of humour. His comments 1:10-1:54 on the Bataclan-tragedy is one of the finest statements he's ever made.
PTRACER
Forum Administrator
Forum Administrator
Favourite Motorsport: Formula 1
Favourite Racing Car: Lotus 49
Favourite Driver: Gilles Villeneuve, James Hunt
Favourite Circuit: Nordschleife
Car(s) Currently Owned: Mitsubishi Lancer Evo X JDM

Post by PTRACER »

I guess it's when I think of my dad's dad, sitting in his chair aged 70, pissing himself, chewing the inside of his mouth and talking shit because he was an alcoholic. And here was Lemmy, putting drugs, alcohol and cigarettes in his body on a daily basis for 40+ years and still being lucid, witty, and alive.

And yeah, he did have a wicked sense of humour. This was what he wrote about six weeks ago. i guess he's rocking with the Animal as we speak.
Hello this is Lemmy from Motörhead. I'm feeling very sad at the moment, in fact devastated because one of my best friends died yesterday. I miss him already. His name was Phil Taylor, or Philthy Animal, and he was our drummer twice in our career. Now he's died and it really pisses me off that they take somebody like him and leave George Bush alive. So muse on that. We're still going, we're still going strong, it's just first Würzel and now Philthy, it's a shame man. I think this rock n roll business might be bad for the human life. Oh well.
Developer of the 1967v3 Historic Mod for Grand Prix Legends: viewtopic.php?t=17429

King of the Race Track, Destroyer of Tyres, Breaker of Lap Records
Jesper Hvid
Permanent Ban
Permanent Ban

Post by Jesper Hvid »

Precisely, he was the sort of geezer who would have found it funny, if they'd surgically removed his facial warts, post-mortem, put them in a bottle of Jack, and exhibited the artefact in the Rock And Roll Hall of Fame.

This is the one song that sums up his whole existence.

Lived it to its fullest, every single day. Maybe as the last bastard in all human history. The incarnation of something very special is no more. What do you think he would have wanted us to do, in his honour. I can put forth an educated guess...
Andy
Supreme Member
Supreme Member
Favourite Motorsport: 2 & 3 Wheeling
Favourite Racing Car: Bike ;) - Yamaha YZR 500
Favourite Driver: Justin 'Weeman' Collins
Favourite Circuit: Isle of Man - Mountain Course
Car(s) Currently Owned: M'cycle ;) - Yamaha FZS 600

Post by Andy »

Heard it in the 5:30am news right after getting up.
At least he didn't die by crashing his wheelchair on stage.

RIP Lemmy

Edit: Lemmy's death just made it to Germanies 8pm news in a 2min clip of a 15min show. Very unusual for our states tv !
"Those who risk nothing, do nothing, achieve nothing, become nothing" - David Jefferies
Jesper Hvid
Permanent Ban
Permanent Ban

Post by Jesper Hvid »

Jesper Hvid wrote:He had a great sense of humour, too.
Watching as much interview material on [YT] as I can, they never stopped fooling around and kidding each other.

0:47---> :haha:
caneparo
Legendary Member
Legendary Member
Favourite Racing Car: Ferrari
Favourite Circuit: Monza
Car(s) Currently Owned: Fiat 500X

Post by caneparo »

Love this bit of this insignificant movie. But this part is hilarious
I am from Italy, a country known for its history, cars, food, wine, and horny men
http://www.facebook.com/pages/Forged-In ... 565?ref=ts