Amazing Live Stuff

Music old and new, musical instruments and musical theory. No copyrighted MP3s may be posted in this forum!
Antonov
Legendary Member
Legendary Member
Favourite Motorsport: Formula 1
Favourite Racing Car: MP4/13 ; F40
Favourite Driver: M. Hakkinen
Favourite Circuit: Some shitty street circuit
Car(s) Currently Owned: VW Golf GTI

Post by Antonov »

Bottom post of the previous page:

Everso Biggyballies
Legendary Member
Legendary Member
Favourite Motorsport: Anything that goes left and right.
Favourite Racing Car: Too Many to mention
Favourite Driver: Kimi,Niki,Jim(none called Michael)
Favourite Circuit: Nordschleife, Spa, Mt Panorama.
Car(s) Currently Owned: Audi SQ5 3.0L V6 TwinTurbo
Location: Just moved 3 klms further away so now 11 klms from Albert Park, Melbourne.

Post by Everso Biggyballies »

What is amazing about that? Or live for that matter.

* I started life with nothing, and still have most of it left

“Good drivers have dead flies on the side windows!” (Walter Röhrl)

* I married Miss Right. Just didn't know her first name was Always
Antonov
Legendary Member
Legendary Member

Post by Antonov »

I thought she looked kinda cute, and sensual with the French language.
Jesper Hvid
Permanent Ban
Permanent Ban

Post by Jesper Hvid »

German band Frumpy with a lazy Hendrixy, early Uriah Heep, bluesproggy sound, and pretty damn good, I'd never even heard of them. Female vocalist is awesome. Guess a lot of brilliance was lost in the creative onslaught of that decade. I don't think the performance here is playback. The first Scorpions-albums were prog in nature, but not quite in the same league as this band, at this time. The singer definitely could have gone far, but they apparently disbanded a few years later.
Jesper Hvid
Permanent Ban
Permanent Ban

Post by Jesper Hvid »

The Nice in a 1967 Swedish radio jam, when guitarist David O'List was still in the band. Psychedelia departed in favour of prog, after he left. I always listen for injokes with them, never fails, and sure enough, I can hear strains of 8 Miles High by The Byrds in there, and I think there is some Mexican trad. arr., too, snuck in by Keith Emerson, towards the end. The drummer is criminally underrated, but that's not uncommon.
Jesper Hvid
Permanent Ban
Permanent Ban

Post by Jesper Hvid »

Possible reposts.

Some of the most kick-ass shit I've ever had the privilege to hear. When I put on this vinyl first time around, I thought I'd switched to 45rpm, but then the vocals set in. I guess it's now considered cultural appropriation... :haha: Sorta saw Johnny Winter live in Denmark in the early '90s at a festival (Midtfyn, I think), when some silly head lobbed a bottle at the stage (not at anyone, it was out of joy), and Johnny took it the wrong way, said fuck the lot of you, and sodded off. Damn.

This is another one of my all-time fave live albums. I've worn down my Jimi Plays Monterrey album, so I'll have to get that one, again.
Jesper Hvid
Permanent Ban
Permanent Ban

Post by Jesper Hvid »

Bowie killed off his Ziggy stage persona with this one. It's not on the album, but it appears on the live dvd. An old Jacques Brel chanson, and a most poignant coda to the cosmic musical journey that was Ziggy Stardust and the Spiders from Mars. One of the greatest rock albums ever made. Easily in the top-5 of concept albums. The underlying theme of all realistic art, however, is, and always will be death. This mental limitation has crippled mankind's psyche since the dawn of civilisation. Mere intellect cannot overcome this barrier, and that is why the true fantaisistes of this world are of a higher spiritual order. And why they are largely ignored by passing contemporary societies. Bowie could not do it, because his weirdness is of the Gallic school. Sinfield's King Crimson is the direct opposite. Bowie sold the world, and KC starved. Perhaps it is not possible to accomplish what I'm suggesting, because the live stage is too theatrical, too impersonal, and too visual. It leaves very little room for the imagination. There can be very little introspective reflection at Glastonbury, if you see what I mean. Imaginative art is appreciated by the individual mind, and not the collective consciousness. Today, it is all about mass hysteria. Someone I used to know had a sort of Christ moment when he heard Neil Young perform Like A Hurricane, at the Roskilde Festival, in 1993 or thereabouts. Four things about that, Neil can't really sing, can't really play, and that is actually a pop song. And my mate was a grunge fan. Should have hated that shit. So I went into Blue Tent and saw Voivod. 25 seconds into that set, I was no longer aware of my surroundings, and I have never done any drugs in my life. Then off to the Green Tent for Motörhead, where I was almost stampeded out of existence by some German chapter of Hell's Angels. Back to the camping area, where my mate was stunned into silence by the great Neil Young. I had boot prints on the back of my Anthrax t-shirt, the taste of my own blood in my mouth, and had lost my ray-bans in the fracas. But Neil Young, yeah, brilliant. Like a hurricane... Sure. Wheeee... My whole world is just spinning around with Neil Young, now. Whoaa... Amazing. Holy fuck, what are we going to do tomorrow, when Willie Nelson hits the stage... My very soul trembles with excitement.
Everso Biggyballies
Legendary Member
Legendary Member
Location: Just moved 3 klms further away so now 11 klms from Albert Park, Melbourne.

Some great stuff there in those last posts, much of which I have never heard / heard of. Thanks @Jesper Hvid for the education. :thumbsup:

Antonov
Legendary Member
Legendary Member

Post by Antonov »

live concert in Baku by Filipp Kirkorov - the Russian Freddie Mercury.

Everso Biggyballies
Legendary Member
Legendary Member

Shame he doesnt have the talent. Dreadful.

Jesper Hvid
Permanent Ban
Permanent Ban

Post by Jesper Hvid »

Everso Biggyballies wrote: 4 years ago Some great stuff there in those last posts, much of which I have never heard / heard of. Thanks @Jesper Hvid for the education. :thumbsup:
You know, thinking about what I actual saw in person, I've got to say, it was probably something like 25% rubbish, 25% lacklustre, 25% worthwhile, and 25% really cool. I guess I very rarely saw a really great live concert at a festival, and even if so, only on the smaller stages, never on the main ones. The big stage at Roskilde always had this crap sound, and many of the big names there, from Nirvana to Sepultura, mostly kinda sucked. The vibe was never really there, for some reason, let alone the intimacy and intensity. The bigger it gets, the less of a chance of a really mind-blowing show. The only consistently great live-performing artist I've experienced over the years is Ronnie James Dio.

The worst and most useless wankery I've ever paid to see, is (among others) tragically Black Sabbath Mk. IV after 3 bad albums in a row, Robert Plant being a mellow grandpa, Marillion minus Fish, ZZ Top looking like idiots, Aerosmith just pissing about the stage, Ritchie Blackmore's godawful solo project, Ozzy Osbourne sounding like a hoarse frog asylum escapee, Manowar acting like an electric wax museum, Iron Maiden thinking they were funny, Metallica behaving like homosexuals, fat Yngwie Malmsteen visibly and audibly drunk and stoned, and the disastrous Sex Pistols reunion at which I threw a bottle, along with a few other likeminded people, after which bombardment they thankfully left the stage.

These are bands and solo artists I really used to like. Have all their stuff. So, seems more than naive of me to expect to get the best of them, 10-15 years after they'd peaked. The festival format does not bring out the best in these major bands, and I think the same can probably be said of the genre festivals. I don't have too many too fond memories from Monsters of Rock, or the modern "metalfests", and I've attended several of those, as well. Big concert hall or stadium rock venues are probably not that much different, now, and I guess you probably have to catch the bands on the rise, to get the real feeling, somehow. So, my best period is definitely the split-decade 1986-1995. After that, it was all so-so. Haven't seen shit for 10 years, now, I think. I was basically born some 10 years too late. I'll cherish my special moments, tho, from Mike Oldfield to Morbid Angel. But frankly, I got way less than my money's worth, overall. Yer pays yer money, and yer takes yer choice.

I'll leave you with a bit of a funny story from last Fall, when Ice-T and Body Count (whom I also like) played one of the minor outdoor festivals in Denmark. In the middle of set song number two, he fucking stopped the music and started a rant about how the audience were a bunch of fucking pussies, and there wasn't even a mosh pit, and people would just stand and chat and drink beer, and the collective mumbling could be heard on stage, over the music itself. That negro was furious, and I fully understand. Pussies, indeed.
Jesper Hvid
Permanent Ban
Permanent Ban

Post by Jesper Hvid »

Everso Biggyballies wrote: 4 years ago Shame he doesnt have the talent. Dreadful.
I never liked Jeff Lynne. I don't really care that those talentless idiots took a huge shit on his music.
Jesper Hvid
Permanent Ban
Permanent Ban

Post by Jesper Hvid »

Here's a great and funny old live performance by Russian thrashers Korrozia Metalla.

Jesper Hvid
Permanent Ban
Permanent Ban

Post by Jesper Hvid »

Tommy Aldridge's drum solo (+/- sticks) from the old Bark at the Moon VHS. Skip Ozzy and go to 4:59.
Everso Biggyballies
Legendary Member
Legendary Member

Jesper Hvid wrote: 4 years ago
I never liked Jeff Lynne. I don't really care that those talentless idiots took a huge shit on his music.
Same re Jeff Lynne. Never floated my boat. Too many better alternatives back then.

Jesper Hvid
Permanent Ban
Permanent Ban

Post by Jesper Hvid »

Another one from Johnny Winter And...Live. Recorded in 1970.