Classical music

Music old and new, musical instruments and musical theory. No copyrighted MP3s may be posted in this forum!
Jesper Hvid
Permanent Ban
Permanent Ban

Post by Jesper Hvid »

Bottom post of the previous page:

John wrote: 5 years ago

A flashmob performing Ode to joy in Nuremberg. No idea why I got this stupid grin on my face.
Possibly for the same reason I tend to smirk at this:

John
Ultimate Member
Ultimate Member

Post by John »

Jesper Hvid wrote: 5 years ago You can hear him gradually losing his mind in this:

Well, it was already bad by that point, I guess. I suppose you know the story well enough, but if enough else don't, here's a read-up on Bolero, Ravel, the piano concert and his dementia: https://www.nature.com/news/2002/020122 ... 121-1.html

I've also read elsewhere that early onset dementia forces people into recurring patterns (perhaps as a way of keeping somewhat sane when your mind rots away...) which might explain the repetitive nature of Bolero.

Regardless, it's an amazing piece, and dementia scares the shit out of me.
2018 GTP Accuracy champion.

CEREAL IS A SOUP.
John
Ultimate Member
Ultimate Member

Post by John »

Jesper Hvid wrote: 5 years ago
John wrote: 5 years ago

A flashmob performing Ode to joy in Nuremberg. No idea why I got this stupid grin on my face.
Possibly for the same reason I tend to smirk at this:

Nice one, thank you.

CEREAL IS A SOUP.
John
Ultimate Member
Ultimate Member

Post by John »

The Japanese army plays the 1812 overture with 105 mm field cannons. The good bits start at 7.20.

BOOM

CEREAL IS A SOUP.
Jesper Hvid
Permanent Ban
Permanent Ban

Post by Jesper Hvid »

At least they bombarded the orchestra.
Jesper Hvid
Permanent Ban
Permanent Ban

Post by Jesper Hvid »

Gothic combination of music by Sigmund Krähe, art by Carl Blechen,

and story by:
M. P. Shiel wrote:“In the name of all that is sinister,” I whispered, “what thing is this?”
https://en.wikisource.org/wiki/The_House_of_Sounds

It is but Nature's sublime.

Good night... :twisted:
Everso Biggyballies
Legendary Member
Legendary Member
Favourite Motorsport: Anything that goes left and right.
Favourite Racing Car: Too Many to mention
Favourite Driver: Kimi,Niki,Jim(none called Michael)
Favourite Circuit: Nordschleife, Spa, Mt Panorama.
Car(s) Currently Owned: Audi SQ5 3.0L V6 TwinTurbo
Location: Just moved 3 klms further away so now 11 klms from Albert Park, Melbourne.

Post by Everso Biggyballies »

Modest Mussorsky... we have had the other (ELP) version of this in other music threads, so....

* I started life with nothing, and still have most of it left

“Good drivers have dead flies on the side windows!” (Walter Röhrl)

* I married Miss Right. Just didn't know her first name was Always
Jesper Hvid
Permanent Ban
Permanent Ban

Post by Jesper Hvid »

Interestingly, the art originals were mostly lost. The inspired work of Mussorgsky easily overrules any surviving visual aides, tho, part by glorious part. It had been a worse disaster, in fact, had his music somehow perished.

My fave part:

The horror of the Roman catacomb couldn't possibly have been interpreted in a more sinister way.

ELP (i.e. Greg Lake) added this immortal bit, in their soulful version, ending later on with the statement that death is, indeed, life.
John Keats wrote:A thing of beauty is a joy for ever.
:thumbsup:
Antonov
Legendary Member
Legendary Member
Favourite Motorsport: Formula 1
Favourite Racing Car: MP4/13 ; F40
Favourite Driver: M. Hakkinen
Favourite Circuit: Some shitty street circuit
Car(s) Currently Owned: VW Golf GTI

Post by Antonov »

Jesper Hvid
Permanent Ban
Permanent Ban

Post by Jesper Hvid »

Jesper Hvid wrote: 8 years ago

Not quite your usual baroque job.

The following to be taken with the obligatory grain of salt:
Bobbie Kom wrote:The story behind “Devil’s Trill” starts with a dream. Tartini allegedly told the French astronomer Jérôme Lalande that he dreamt that the Devil appeared to him and asked to be his servant. At the end of their lessons Tartini handed the devil his violin to test his skill—the Devil immediately began to play with such virtuosity that Tartini felt his breath taken away. When the composer awoke he immediately jotted down the sonata, desperately trying to recapture what he had heard in the dream. Despite the sonata being successful with his audiences, Tartini lamented that the piece was still far from what he had heard in his dream. What he had written was, in his own words: “so inferior to what I had heard, that if I could have subsisted on other means, I would have broken my violin and abandoned music forever.”
This was the music a probably tone-deaf H. P. Lovecraft imagined for his tale of Erich Zann! Like the Colour out of Space, this was the tune from another dimension. Things beyond mortal comprehension. At least we can attempt to put into words that which we cannot understand with our mere five senses.

And, BTW, note the position of the fingers on the Devil's left hand... :haha:

Mr. Zann played on frantically, as the story went, long after life had departed his weakly frame, trying to stave off unknown intrusive powers from another dimension.

I have examined maps of the city with the greatest care, yet have never again found the Rue d'Auseil.
Jesper Hvid
Permanent Ban
Permanent Ban

Post by Jesper Hvid »

The Vodnik (or Water Goblin) is an elemental spirit who lives in lakes and rivers. He drowns people and keeps their souls in overturned glass jars.
I've overturned a few jars in my time, and there used to be quite a lot of spirits in them, if you see what I mean.
Jesper Hvid
Permanent Ban
Permanent Ban

Post by Jesper Hvid »

And for a larger, more mysterious and restless, body of water. It is rising as we speak. Taking back its due, as it were. We should never have gone ashore, but stayed in our place, sinking, rising, obliviously, and floating peacefully with the tide. We made a royal mess of terra firma.
John
Ultimate Member
Ultimate Member

Post by John »

Laurent Naouri performs the Toreador song from Carmen. Delightful.

CEREAL IS A SOUP.
Jesper Hvid
Permanent Ban
Permanent Ban

Post by Jesper Hvid »

The lengths to which alpha males are prepared to go, to prove themselves the very stupidest among animals... Bizet created a classic satire. Excellent singer. Thanks for the vid.

Maybe this will interest you; the story behind the opera was written by Prosper Mérimée, who also came up with the weird tale of the Venus d'Ille, which has another femme fatale theme. In this case, a jealous living statue, I kid you not.

This one is out of The Odyssey. I've always loved the format of the symphonic poem. The allegorical truth contained in full.

They put images of Circe and the Little Mermaid in the video montage, that's not quite true to source, but the sinister atmosphere rules throughout. The lesson is, put candle wax in your ears, right. Or just don't listen. They've nothing to say, anyway. Nothing, whatsoever. :haha:
John
Ultimate Member
Ultimate Member

Post by John »

Yes, Laurent really nailed the self-loving Toreador. I think Carmen is fantastic in that there's so many different versions of the most famous pieces out there and so many of them are spot on.

Elina Garanca does a wonderful Carmen in this video.That's how you play a Femme Fatale.

Thanks for the Sirenes, I plonked it into my Spotify playlist for classic masterpieces.

CEREAL IS A SOUP.
Jesper Hvid
Permanent Ban
Permanent Ban

Post by Jesper Hvid »

Hehe, Circe thought she could turn Odysseus into a pig, but he kind of already was, so he porked her, and she liked it. Obviously.

This has more subtlety:

Behind the 7th door they'll all go, when they've finally drained their men of all their love.