What do you think is the greatest Circuit in the world?

Racing events, drivers, cars or anything else from the past.
SBan83

Post by SBan83 »

Bottom post of the previous page:

Debo318 wrote:
Hotdogger wrote:
Debo318 wrote:Yea, i'm going to just re-install my whole game and keep my mods, cars, and tracks
Do this. Install N2003. Then re-install it again by manually running the setup and point to some other dir of course. Now while installing GTP, point it to the first installation and presto, its done, and without messing up a thing.
So basically I'm getting 2 games? One with my other mods and tracks, the other with GTP?
Yea, basically, when GTP runs, it simply checks the registry to see if there's N2003 installed or not and of the latest version. And I'm suggesting you to install it to the first installation because your most recent installation is the one which is binded to the registry. So, in the future, even if you format your primary drive, and your GTP was installed on a secondary drive, all you have to do is re-install N2003 somewhere and you can run GTP right off that old installation. :)
Stefani24

Post by Stefani24 »

THE MOTHER (Nordschleife)
it is too crazy!!
oliveralexander

Post by oliveralexander »

I know it's really late get into the topic, but i read it with interrest. Obviously, 2 tracks stand out : Spa (old) and the Nordschleife.

It's interresting to note those are 2 mythical circuits.
I don't want to be critical i have 2 remarks:

-In the late 60s-early 70s, most F1 drivers refused to drive it, finding it too dangerous. Do you rekon they thought it was the best possible track?

-A few years ago, i spent a day at the Nurburgring, it was impossibly dangerous notonly because of the track layout but because vans and even trucks were allowed to drive alongside cars and bikes.
Sure it is different, long and hilly, but on thing struck me: i can't say it's boring or monotonous but most corners are similar, kind of medium to low speed, there aren't that many tight corners and hairpins, nor long fast sweeping curves.
That's just my opinion based on my experience, though.
scotty1

Post by scotty1 »

Spa: Best F1 circuit in the world
Monaco: Best street circuit in the world
Le Mans: Best Sportscar/Endurance Track in the world.
Bathurst: Best Touring Car Track in the World (by a long way)
Indianapolis: Best Oval circuit in the world.

Special mentions go to Nordschleife, Brands Hatch, Pau and Macau
wialniaz
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Post by wialniaz »

I was going to post something here, but having read the post above, i think i don't even need to bother, cause those are just undeniable facts, not just a person's opinion :)

Just a few editions, i think Macau is just as good as Monaco or even better. And Nordschleife IMO should be considered as the best circuit in general, no special category.
http://www.tugali.org -- support my racing career!
kart99
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by kart99 »

I personally the greatest circuit in the world is Spa at the minute, with the Nordschliefe an very, very close second.

Favourite street circuit is Pau, with Norisring and then Monaco
Favourite Oval has to be Daytona, with Bristol coming in second, then Indy

Le Mans, Donnington Park, Suzuka, Knockhill, Lime Rock and Interlagos get special mentions.
futuretiger9
Favourite Motorsport: 1970s F1 / sportscars
Favourite Racing Car: Porsche 956
Favourite Driver: Jacky Ickx
Favourite Circuit: Nurburgring Nordschleife
Car(s) Currently Owned: n/a

Post by futuretiger9 »

You can divide best circuits into categories:-

Best overall - Nordschleife
Most challenging - Nordschleife
Street circuit - Pau (in the past, it was Montjuich Park, Barcelona)
Oval - Indianapolis
Sportscars - Le Mans (predictable, but true)
Non-F1 - Bathurst
Current F1 - Spa/Suzuka (Suzuka will be "current" again soon of course).
ReneLotus
Advanced Member
Advanced Member

Post by ReneLotus »

Stealing futuretiger9's list, here's what circuit I like best in each category:

Best overall - Nordschleife
Most challenging - Nordschleife
Street circuit - Adelaide
Oval - Talladega
Sportscars - Le Mans (predictable, indeed, but you are spot on)
Non-F1 - Bathurst
Current F1 - Spa
Edgar Jessop
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by Edgar Jessop »

When in the '80s I drove a road car round Rouen-les-Esserts, I realised just what a scary challenge it was and how it commanded as much respect as the wider Spa when you rushed through the varying sweepers downhill or the slower Nurburgring as you climbed back up through the forest.
C'est brutal mais ca marche!
Jess

Post by Jess »

the old rouen ('55-'70).
futuretiger9

Post by futuretiger9 »

Another favourite circuit of mine was Clermont-Ferrand, used for the French GP on and off until 1972.
wialniaz
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Post by wialniaz »

I must say i need to second the person saying Rouen 55-70. Just tried it on rfactor - STUNNING. Such a super fast ballsy track. No wonder Fangio included it in his favorites.
nihil

Post by nihil »

Hmmmm... Re-reading this thread and I'm struck by the number of people electing the old Spa as 'the greatest circuit'. Going to be a heretic on this subject: beautiful as it was, old Spa was a bit... well, boring.

Ok, so it was a high speed circuit, but there wasn't a lot for a driver to do when not navigating through a few key points that utterly determined the achievement of a fast and competitive lap.

Boring AND dangerous: a unique combination certainly, but not one that classifies it as great in my books.
Babapapa

Post by Babapapa »

i like the nurburgring nordschleife, too!

in may there will be the 24h-race again with 230 touring and GT-cars in the race! but in the last year the build FIA-fences round the track, so it lost again from the old view. i'm a little scared to get back to the track!

in last year nick heidfeld drove three laps with the BMW-F1car on the combination of grand-prix-track (build in 1983) and nordschleife (1927)

http://video.google.de/videoplay?docid= ... 6015662498
futuretiger9

Post by futuretiger9 »

nihil wrote:Hmmmm... Re-reading this thread and I'm struck by the number of people electing the old Spa as 'the greatest circuit'. Going to be a heretic on this subject: beautiful as it was, old Spa was a bit... well, boring.

Ok, so it was a high speed circuit, but there wasn't a lot for a driver to do when not navigating through a few key points that utterly determined the achievement of a fast and competitive lap.

Boring AND dangerous: a unique combination certainly, but not one that classifies it as great in my books.
Those are probably valid points. Although it had a fearsome reputation, and was in a stunning setting, it was not as constant a challenge throughout the lap as the old Nurburgring, and a few other road circuits.
wialniaz
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Post by wialniaz »

nihil wrote:Hmmmm... Re-reading this thread and I'm struck by the number of people electing the old Spa as 'the greatest circuit'. Going to be a heretic on this subject: beautiful as it was, old Spa was a bit... well, boring.

In all honesty, i really don't think you would find it boring for one single second in the 60s F1 car, sliding around at 300 kph and facing death every lap.

Sure the corners were sleek, and the circuit was dangerous as hell, but last thing i'd call it would be boring. Unless you appreciate the circuits only from the viewers point of view. Then yeah it could be a bit dull.

But having driven that road myself, i think i wouldn't really like to do the same thing again at speed even in a safe race car, let alone those old F1 cans with open tops