Paul Warwick's Fatal Accident, Oulton Park 1991

Racing events, drivers, cars or anything else from the past.
MichaelZ

Paul Warwick's Fatal Accident, Oulton Park 1991

Post by MichaelZ »

Hi!

I'm new here in these forum and I'm searching pictures from Paul Warwick's (little brother from Derek Warwick - testete for Arrows 1989) accident in Oulton Park 1991 (british F3000).

Thank you for help!
bigears
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by bigears »

No photos exists as all photos are kept away from the public by the Warwick family.

I only seen one photo of Paul in action and a helicopter from the crash scene.
MichaelZ

Post by MichaelZ »

Ok, thank you for the info.
PTRACER
Forum Administrator
Forum Administrator
Favourite Motorsport: Formula 1
Favourite Racing Car: Lotus 49
Favourite Driver: Gilles Villeneuve, James Hunt
Favourite Circuit: Nordschleife
Car(s) Currently Owned: Mitsubishi Lancer Evo X JDM

Post by PTRACER »

Here's the photo bigears was referring to:

Developer of the 1967v3 Historic Mod for Grand Prix Legends: viewtopic.php?t=17429

King of the Race Track, Destroyer of Tyres, Breaker of Lap Records
bigears
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by bigears »

An excellent tribute website here.

This was one of those terrible accidents where it was caught on film, but never released.

I believe the reason the film was not released was because the camera (the camerman had run away) was taken out by Paul as he was ejected from the car after it hit the wall.

I know of two people who saw the accident first hand and they said it was the worst thing they have ever seen (one of the is an undertaker, so this tells yousomething), Phil Andrews (I think) stopped his car at the scene and got out and ran across to Warwicks car see what he could do (Warwicks car was on fire) he dived into the flames to pull Warwick out but couldn't find him, assuming he had got out himself he waked away and only realised what had happened when he hear the crowd screaming.

Aparantly the marshalls and rescue crews had gone to the car too, and it was only the screams of the crowd that alerted them to the fact that Warwick was lying, deceased, on the grass verge by the spectator fence.

Two photos from that fateful race:

DoubleFault
Legendary Member
Legendary Member

Post by DoubleFault »

Yeh, i remember reading up on this tragic event a few months ago, i may have even made a thread about it on here. I think it is good in a way that this accident hasnt been released into the public domain, but it is also sad that somebody may actually need to get hold of this footage and cant. (dont ask me WHY they would need this footage though!)
Truls1
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by Truls1 »

PW going through Knickerbrook for the last time, he crashed one lap later in this turn.

NOT my pic or scan.
Vegeta
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Post by Vegeta »

Terrible history bigears... :cry:
Thundersports

Post by Thundersports »

There was independent amateur footage of the accident from 2 angles the recordings were confiscated by the circuit management.
Last edited by Thundersports 3 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
Motorsportrace
Supreme Member
Supreme Member

Post by Motorsportrace »

Thundersports wrote:There was independent amateur footage of the accident from 2 angles the recordings were confiscated by the circuit management.
I've updated his entry in the CPDB. We have two aftermath photos (plus one of the helicopter that carried him to the hospital):
http://the-fastlane.co.uk/cpdb/crashpho ... ditid1=371
Motorsportrace
Thundersports

Post by Thundersports »

bigears wrote: 17 years ago An excellent tribute website here.

This was one of those terrible accidents where it was caught on film, but never released.

I believe the reason the film was not released was because the camera (the camerman had run away) was taken out by Paul as he was ejected from the car after it hit the wall.

I know of two people who saw the accident first hand and they said it was the worst thing they have ever seen (one of the is an undertaker, so this tells yousomething), Phil Andrews (I think) stopped his car at the scene and got out and ran across to Warwicks car see what he could do (Warwicks car was on fire) he dived into the flames to pull Warwick out but couldn't find him, assuming he had got out himself he waked away and only realised what had happened when he hear the crowd screaming.

Aparantly the marshalls and rescue crews had gone to the car too, and it was only the screams of the crowd that alerted them to the fact that Warwick was lying, deceased, on the grass verge by the spectator fence.

Two photos from that fateful race:

To clarify it was Richard Dean who stopped not Phil Andrews. There wasn't a camerman close to where Paul crashed.
Ian-S
Legendary Member
Legendary Member

Post by Ian-S »

Yes there was and the Police also stopped everybody leaving the area and confiscated photography equipment, most of which was never returned to them.
I am very sorry if you find my posts long and boring, I like to type and often go off on a tangent.
If this is the case, you may click here to solve the problem, or alternatively here too.
hollie3sa

Post by hollie3sa »

Ian-S wrote: 3 years ago Yes there was and the Police also stopped everybody leaving the area and confiscated photography equipment, most of which was never returned to them.
No intention to criticise the police here.

But is that even lawful in the UK? I get that the police must have a possibility to obtain evidence. But never returning pieces of footage (sth that is not crucial to a case like e.g. a murder weapon) to the legal owner seems a bit weird.

Plus: If the police seizes some kind of footage. Does that automatically disallow the copyright holder from publishing that footage?
Ian-S
Legendary Member
Legendary Member

Post by Ian-S »

The Police do a lot of things they're not supposed to, doesn't help that 90% of Joe Public don't know their rights either, especially back then.
I am very sorry if you find my posts long and boring, I like to type and often go off on a tangent.
If this is the case, you may click here to solve the problem, or alternatively here too.
White six
Advanced Member
Advanced Member

Post by White six »

hollie3sa wrote: 3 years ago
Ian-S wrote: 3 years ago Yes there was and the Police also stopped everybody leaving the area and confiscated photography equipment, most of which was never returned to them.
No intention to criticise the police here.

But is that even lawful in the UK? I get that the police must have a possibility to obtain evidence. But never returning pieces of footage (sth that is not crucial to a case like e.g. a murder weapon) to the legal owner seems a bit weird.

Plus: If the police seizes some kind of footage. Does that automatically disallow the copyright holder from publishing that footage?
Private land so the venue or organizer could claim that footage or stills belonged to them. Perhaps they were returned to the venue?

Obviously such things are normally overlooked as 99.9% of photography will just be for personal use, but in a case like this it's not surprising if the police and venue invoked any law they could as the material would likely end up being published.

Very cheeky if equipment wasn't returned though, i'd have been writing to my mp!
The board equivalent of the Jody scheckter chicane. Fast but pointless